Apple introduces 13-inch MacBook Pro, cheaper MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 101 of 225
    A friend of mine ordered the 13" Macbook from the Apple online store 2 days ago. Is there any way to change the order to the new 13" Macbook, or is he stuck?
  • Reply 102 of 225
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by www.teamhcn.com View Post

A friend of mine ordered the 13" Macbook from the Apple online store 2 days ago. Is there any way to change the order to the new 13" Macbook, or is he stuck?

If it hasn't shipped yet, then he should call ASAP, he can probably change it. It's possible they may just send him the newer model and refund him the price difference.
  • Reply 103 of 225
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Overall, I think the new range is far better. There's a 15" MacBook (in Pro clothing) for those that wanted a 15" MacBook, and there's a 13" MacBook Pro with FW. Apple needed a cheaper 15", and while I think that $1699 is still a lot of money, it's better than $1999.

I dont...

Where i am they kept the price for the lower models right where they are (well the white goes up a little with the change over to the new processor) adn the 13 MBP stays where the bottomg of the range was. Btu the 15 and 17" come down in price.

I guess sales were mostly around the 13" models, so they kept thier profit margin right where it was there, and the models they did not sell to any great extent got a cut.

Plus teh exchange rate has improved, yet the prices stay wonky.

Yaay apple, guess i dont need to upgrade.
  • Reply 104 of 225
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Great macbook pro updates today!

The new 13" is the real deal. I have the feeling "now they got it right".
  • Reply 105 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

If it hasn't shipped yet, then he should call ASAP, he can probably change it. It's possible they may just send him the newer model and refund him the price difference.

What's the number he needs to call?

Edit: NVM, I found it. It's 1-800-676-2775.
  • Reply 106 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by www.teamhcn.com View Post

Because of that policy they usually send the new one, but as Minderbinder states he needs to call immediately to make it more hassle free. If it?s already sent DO NOT OPEN IT.
  • Reply 107 of 225
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I would like to say to all those glossy haters. Have you played a movie like star trek on a glossy screen, as opposed to a matte screen?

For the great majority of everybody who uses their mac for games or movie playback, glossy is the number one choice.

Every time you complain you make yourselves look like one of those " floppy discs will never die crowd".

Luddite 101.

Glossy simply looks fantastic. And now with the new 9400 chip in the 13 in MBP, glossy will look fantastic while playing COD4.

I watch HULU all day long on my black MB 13IN, and from 15 feet away the glossy picture looks so nice. Apple is approaching untouchable in many area's that it is doing business in. I only wish more apple products were made or assembled in the USA.

Your uses for the computer are not what everyone else does.

Most people use a laptop as a portable computing workstation, in many different enviroments where reflections from a glossy display is very annoying and distracting.

You can't honestly tell me that this Mac is really functional with parts of the screen covered by reflections?

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/macbook-glare-485.jpg

Also a lot of people, myself included, have weakening eyesight (from using glossy CRTs over the years no less) and the reflections make our eyes work harder because there are two images. One or the other is slightly out of focus and the extra work required to "see" the correct image results in eyestrain and headaches.

Shiny is only good for impulsive consumer sales. But later it causes problems for a lot of people, it just takes time to do the damage and prematurely wear out your eye muscles. Just like listening to loud music too long ruins your hearing.

Pro's in the know, know better and buy anti-glare or matte screen computers. All the best graphic monitors are anti-glare/matte screens.

Apple even offers Anti-glare on the 17" MBP and on their larger monitors, why is this if glossy screens were not a issue?

I had a White glossy MacBook for a girlfriend, setting it up and using it gave me the most horrible headaches and eyestrain.

She got sick of using it because of the reflections and it sat around unused, until someone spilled a beer on it. It was finished and I didn't want to spend the money on fixing it.

I stripped it, smashed the glass screen and tossed it in the trash.

I never felt so much better in my entire life.

Using a glossy screen is like using Windows, it's so fscking inferior and annoying that the only choice is not to use it.

So it's not about what looks good if it's hurting your body and your mind.
  • Reply 108 of 225
    bruce youngbruce young Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Great to see the price drop, but it makes even more obvious how overpriced the desktop offerings are. So when does the mini get an update or price drop? Or some new model that is more competitive and fills the gaping chasm between the mini and the Mac Pro?

I agree -- I'd love to see a significant Mac mini update and value improvement. The spring update was an improvement, but not what one would expect from such a long gestation. Though graphics were upgraded, the price line stayed same, and fact that the high-end mini uses same speed CPU as basic mini is not very compelling -- $200 (1/3 its cost) gets an extra gig of RAM and larger HD only.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

... Glossy is here to stay, just get over it; these updates are FANTASTIC across the board, and settle once and for all the whining from 99% of Mac users.

I hope your opinion on glossy does not become the rule... Glossy is an ergonomic disaster for average office or home users. At least for me and the folks I know and have talked and worked with who use their computers in daylight, office light situations to run office-type applications.

Glossy may be great for picture and movie viewing in dark environment, but not so good for actual computer work with reflections to distract.

At least there are aftermarket anti-glare film producers -- Photodon comes to mind, I am sure there are others.

* Any favorites or recommendations out there for anti-glare (matte style) vendors/products that can be user-applied to Mac glossy screens?

I am very happy to see that a FireWire port is back on all models now.

Goes to show that Apple can correct a design mistake.
  • Reply 109 of 225
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Haha. Firewire is back - just as I asked for and predicted.

Finally I can buy one.

No you can't. You are against all products that don't offer a replaceable battery.
  • Reply 110 of 225
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Most people use a laptop as a portable computing workstation, in many different enviroments where reflections from a glossy display is very annoying and distracting.

You can't honestly tell me that this Mac is really functional with parts of the screen covered by reflections?

Also a lot of people, myself included, have weakening eyesight (from using glossy CRTs over the years no less) and the reflections make our eyes work harder because there are two images. One or the other is slightly out of focus and the extra work required to "see" the correct image results in eyestrain and headaches.

Shiny is only good for impulsive consumer sales. But later it causes problems for a lot of people, it just takes time to do the damage and prematurely wear out your eye muscles. Just like listening to loud music too long ruins your hearing.

Pro's in the know, know better and buy anti-glare or matte screen computers. All the best graphic monitors are anti-glare/matte screens.

Apple even offers Anti-glare on the 17" MBP and on their larger monitors, why is this if glossy screens were not a issue?

I had a White glossy MacBook for a girlfriend, setting it up and using it gave me the most horrible headaches and eyestrain.

She got sick of using it because of the reflections and it sat around unused, until someone spilled a beer on it. It was finished and I didn't want to spend the money on fixing it.

Using a glossy screen is like using Windows, it's so fscking inferior and annoying that the only choice is not to use it.

But that's you. I have the (now previous) $1299 unibody MB, and the glossy screen doesn't bother me at all. In fact, it looks leagues better than the 15" PowerBook I replaced it with. The glare doesn't really bother me, and that's the only advantage with a matte screen.

Glossy LCDs have less refraction, and don't have that anti-glare coating distorting their image. It's not much, but it's something. Glossy LCDs will have the best picture quality, matte LCDs are the most versatile for use in varying lighting environments. It's up to you which you like. Personally, I'd choose glossy even if matte WAS available on the 13".
  • Reply 111 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

No you can't. You are against all products that don't offer a replaceable battery.

Don?t forget that glossy display he drones on about.
  • Reply 112 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

Any favorites or recommendations out there for anti-glare (matte style) vendors/products that can be user-applied to Mac glossy screens?

TechRestore will switch out a glossy in favor of a same matte display. (I get no compensation for mention)

http://www.techrestore.com/xcart/home.php?cat=430

I think this is the best route, anti-glare films trap heat, bubble, crack, peel and collect dirt and grime. Look like crap on a nice machine.

Shame to have to spend more money and possibly void your warranty/Applecare. I would check with Apple that it would still be covered after the "downgrade".

I'm quite upset with Apple, they are just screwing over their Pro market totally, not to mention how many young eyes will need prematurely need glasses due to excessive eyestrain.
  • Reply 113 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rlr33 View Post

I just checked all the tech stats on the new line of macbook pros and am seriously confused. There is not a single model, from the 13" to the 17", that has more than one firewire port. This means the basic requirements of video editing do not exist in apples new notebooks. The creators of final cut pro have cut off the notebooks ability to log, capture and edit. How is this possible? I am using a five year old powerbook g4 that is more capable than the brand new, top of the line 17" macbook pro.

Have you ever heard of a FireWire hub? Do you know that more HD cameras transfer video content over USB? Basic requirements of video editing...transfer video to computer and then edit. Yeah, the new MacBook Pros can do that easily. If you like your G4, then keep using it. If you don't like the new models, then don't buy it.
  • Reply 114 of 225
    Quote:

TechRestore will switch out a glossy in favor of a same matte display. (I get no compensation for mention)

http://www.techrestore.com/xcart/home.php?cat=430

I think this is the best route, anti-glare films trap heat, bubble, crack, peel and collect dirt and grime. Look like crap on a nice machine.

Shame to have to spend more money and possibly void your warranty/Applecare. I would check with Apple that it would still be covered after the "downgrade".

I'm quite upset with Apple, they are just screwing over their Pro market totally, not to mention how many young eyes will need prematurely need glasses due to excessive eyestrain.

What a load of BS. Yeah, those increased sales of MacBooks/Pros are really screwing people over. Did you know Macworld printed a poll in their last issue that confirmed that more people preferred the glossy screen? I am sure all those display makers really screwed people over for decades when all their monitors were glossy CRT picture tubes. TV's too! Cellphones all have glossy screens too! Do you avoid those products too?

Excessive eyestrain. Give me a break. Where is your evidence to prove your bullshit claim?
  • Reply 115 of 225
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,747member
    With Steve Jobs at the helm the unibody MacBooks get released without Firewire and he supposedly fires off some comment saying it isn't needed.

Shortly afterwards he takes six months sick leave.

In that time Apple craftily finds a way to put firewire back in .

I wish Steve a speedy and full recovery but vote that he take the rest of the year off to build his new palace (I'm sure it will be made out of glass and have a glowing, spinning Apple logo on the roof).

That might give Apple enough time to release a netbook and a low end tower.
  • Reply 116 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

But that's you. I have the (now previous) $1299 unibody MB, and the glossy screen doesn't bother me at all....It's up to you which you like. Personally, I'd choose glossy even if matte WAS available on the 13".

I'm not trying to convince you to choose otherwise.

I respect your choice, can you respect others needs for anti-glare computer screens?

Apple can make both, they already do, but only for the 17" MPB and their Apple monitors. Kind of senseless really.
  • Reply 117 of 225
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Did you every consult an ophthalmologist?

Asthenopia (eye strain) can be caused by a flickering which were a problem in the CRT days. Never heard of glossy screens harming anybody accept if the lighting conditions weren't properly set up, one might see their own reflection too often. Thus creating a psychological impediment.

Perhaps you have a underlying medical condition that prevents your eyes from focusing normally. This could cause eyestrain and headaches, but I don't know of any evidence that suggest CRTs, glossy or otherwise is conclusively an underlying factor; contributing yes, causative no.
  • Reply 118 of 225
    Quote:

You post this same BULLSHIT story every chance you get when there is a discussion about screens. I guess you never thought about going to an eye doctor regarding headaches and eyestrain? Perhaps you are getting old? The glossy screen didn't do it, nor did all those CRT displays you looked at. Wow, you are so cool for spilling beer on a laptop and then smashing it to pieces. Bet your girlfriend is happy to be around you. So if Windows is so fucking inferior that the only choice is not to use it, why are you bragging about being a Windows and Vista user in your signature? Go buy PC laptop if you don't like the MacBooks. By the way, PC laptops have had glossy screens far longer than Macs!
  • Reply 119 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

What a load of BS. Yeah, those increased sales of MacBooks/Pros are really screwing people over. Did you know Macworld printed a poll in their last issue that confirmed that more people preferred the glossy screen? I am sure all those display makers really screwed people over for decades when all their monitors were glossy CRT picture tubes. TV's too! Cellphones all have glossy screens too! Do you avoid those products too?

Excessive eyestrain. Give me a break. Where is your evidence to prove your bullshit claim?

What are you worried about?

That your precious glossy will be taken away? It won't.

People need a choice since only Apple makes OS X and they have huge investment in their software and need anti-glare computers, especially laptops.

By the way, if you search "glossy vs matte" you'll get a true picture of what people think, including reports of eyestrain.

display makers really screwed people over for decades when all their monitors were glossy CRT picture tubes

In a matter of fact yes they did. Why else would they make anti-glare filters for CRT's if it wasn't a problem?

TV's too! Cellphones all have glossy screens too! Do you avoid those products too?

The best TVs and non-integrated computer monitors (even Apple's) are matte finish. Yes so is mine.

Smaller devices like cell phones can tolerate being glossy because the reflections can be easily avoided by tilting the screen. Much like what is done with a glossy magazine if you every observe people, they do it automatically and without thought.

However after a certain size, the reflections are too much and can't be avoided.

Apple seems to think that 15" is small enough to avoid reflections, but it's not and the evidence is overwhelming.
  • Reply 120 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Did you every consult an ophthalmologist?

Asthenopia (eye strain) can be caused by a flickering which were a problem in the CRT days. Never heard of glossy screens harming anybody accept if the lighting conditions weren't properly set up, one might see their own reflection too often. Thus creating a psychological impediment.

Perhaps you have a underlying medical condition that prevents your eyes from focusing normally. This could cause eyestrain and headaches, but I don't know of any evidence that suggest CRTs, glossy or otherwise is conclusively an underlying factor; contributing yes, causative no.

I think you got it. He gave himself eyestrain and headaches from looking at himself in the glossy screen! I get headaches from reading the same bullshit posts from him every time this argument arises about glossy vs. matte. And every time he has no evidence to prove his bullshit allegations.