AT&T already sold out of launch day iPhone 3G S pre-orders

Comments

• Reply 61 of 190
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The person has the right to continue being a douche bag; and I expect them to invest in Palm stock if it turns their crank. I'm making money in Apple stock.

Well, I wish I had bought Palm stock earlier this year when they first announced the Pre. "Buy on rumours, sell on news” was in full effect for Palm this year. There stock is up 14x since January.
  • Reply 62 of 190
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Maybe. We've gone through that at times. We've cut some people off for that recently, but they've also used abusive language. You know who they are.

Yeah. There seems to have been an uptick in the last month or two of persistent trolls. They may generate some short-term interest in the forum as the arguments proliferate, but in the end they leave me with less interest in following the threads they infect because there is no discussion--only argument for the sake of argument. I appreciate people with different or even contrarian views as long as there is some sense at honest dialogue. They are like poison ivy--you want to scratch and it may feel good for a second, but you know it doesn't help anything and in fact makes it worse!

I have no problem with the mods warning or banning the obvious trolls with a quicker trigger...

...Back to the topic: In my opinion (yes, I have no facts) I think Apple would love for there to be talk of shortages, or possible shortages, in the media while in reality there is near universal availability. Of course, to keep the talk of sell outs going there would have to be some truth to it--that is where the at&t stores come in. If a few at&t stores run out it doesn't hurt Apple much--especially if there are other sources (Apple stores, online, Best Buy...) that are stocked. Meanwhile, at&t couldn't complain too much as they are in desperate negotiations to increase their exclusivity contract with Apple...
  • Reply 63 of 190
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Until Verizon has a phone that uses as much data as the iPhone, we don't know bow well their network would handle the load.

bingo. The iPhone has the highest data utilization rate of any mobile device.

Primarily because unlike most other mobile devices it actually *is* usable.
  • Reply 64 of 190
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Outrage? By people who were too stupid or lazy to read and understand their contract?

Yeah. I am having trouble squaring this with the surveys trying to show that iPhone users are more educated and sophisticated than the average smartphone user!

Quote:

... but I'm also not stupid enough to whine like a petulant child with some overinflated sense of entitlement.

Thank you!

In repayment, us bleeding edgers will work out the new version's kinks and at&t's network stresspoints before you upgrade...
  • Reply 65 of 190
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan 2 View Post

As opposed to Apple and the iPhone.

here's the difference. Verizon's restrictions have fostered more then 10 years of stagnation.

Apple's control has fostered the biggest revolution in the mobile industry and an Appstore with over 50,000 apps in under a year.

Quote:

Kind of a lame argument when you think about it.

Your right, your argument is extremely lame.
  • Reply 66 of 190
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    Quote:

I'm tired of you repeating this over and again.

I know you want to create trouble here, but don't bother, most of us are beyond you.

I think Seahawk Fan and Seahawk Fan 2 (aka "Teckstud") knows he is beyond himself too!
  • Reply 67 of 190
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Remember online communication is no substitute for real and rewarding face to face conversation.

The smile on her face, the wink she gives you when you make her laugh. The way the light shines on her hair.

Seeing a good friend in the store, meeting friends at the bar. Tossing the ball with the kids.

Helping out your neighbor with their lawn, then taking their boat out for a afternoon of fishing.

Humans were not designed to communicate behind a keyboard. Because over 50% of the communication humans rely upon, body language, is not present.

Thus there will be pent up frustration and flame wars.

Quote:

There comes a time in life

when you have to let go of all the pointless drama

& the people who create it...

& surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good...

after all life is too short to be anything but happy!!

• Reply 68 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Remember online communication is no substitute for real and rewarding face to face conversation.

The smile on her face, the wink she gives you when you make her laugh. The way the light shines on her hair.

Seeing a good friend in the store, meeting friends at the bar. Tossing the ball with the kids.

Helping out your neighbor with their lawn, then taking their boat out for a afternoon of fishing.

Humans were not designed to communicate behind a keyboard. Because over 50% of the communication humans rely upon, body language, is not present.

Thus there will be pent up frustration and flame wars.

Most people wouldn't dare say the same things in person that they say online.
  • Reply 69 of 190
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:

I don't like to have people banned for making dumb remarks to me.

Especially Seahawks fans, they are retarded enough as it is

well just checked ... still no funky message

Product / Part No. \t \t \t \t

Qty

\t \t

IPHONE 3G S BLACK 32GB-USA

MB717LL/A

\t \t

\t \t

\t \t

Custom configuration

| Show Hide

With AT&T Rate Plan

\t\t\t\t\t\t

Ships: Delivers by June 19th
  • Reply 70 of 190
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Apple & AT&T have very much to prove, especially now.

CNet ran a video review last week. "Face it the iPhone Sucks". The video review pointed the finger at AT&T and Apple for a poor network in many large cities and has recommended people to wait for the iPhone to go to Verizon.

Link, http://cnettv.cnet.com/face-iphone-s...-50072059.html

I know not as many people read CNet as AppleInsider so their public thrashing probably didn't have any impact on those that are considering either making a new purchase or upgrading.

There has been a very high number articles written on the poor upgrade path (Yes they signed a contract but Apple Users feel that they deserve better than a contract).

Apple & AT&T has very much to prove to all but the very Apple Faithful.

You can buy a touch screen at 7-11 these days and their are many very good multi tasking touch phones with great Android and HTC OS's, you clearly see the Pre as the only competitor to Apple.

The market has changed in a year and last I saw, BlackBerry had the number 1,3 & 5 spot. 25% of BlackBerry new contracts are consumer based not business related.

I'd say it's not the same slam dunk as last year and both the phone and OS are minor updates given the curent market.

The cnet lady is always negative. I have reserved two at my local apple store and will be in line for the party. I have tried every service and they all have issues. Oddly enough, in San Francisco, Sprint has some of the best coverage. Price for service, AT&T is hard to beat with the family plans, corp discounts and family text messaging. Peace!
  • Reply 71 of 190
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

You can buy a touch screen at 7-11 these days and their are many very good multi tasking touch phones with great Android and HTC OS's, you clearly see the Pre as the only competitor to Apple.

SNIP

HTC OS? are we talking windows mobile here?
  • Reply 72 of 190
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Well, I wish I had bought Palm stock earlier this year when they first announced the Pre. "Buy on rumours, sell on news? was in full effect for Palm this year. There stock is up 14x since January.

Actually there's been no sell on the news yet....
  • Reply 73 of 190
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

The cnet lady is always negative. I have reserved two at my local apple store and will be in line for the party. I have tried every service and they all have issues. Oddly enough, in San Francisco, Sprint has some of the best coverage. Price for service, AT&T is hard to beat with the family plans, corp discounts and family text messaging. Peace!

CNET is a great sourse for info .

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10...orsPicksArea.0

A good read about next yrs arm chip for the next gen iphone.
  • Reply 74 of 190
    traysertrayser Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Apple & AT&T have very much to prove, especially now.

CNet ran a video review last week. "Face it the iPhone Sucks". The video review pointed the finger at AT&T and Apple for a poor network in many large cities and has recommended people to wait for the iPhone to go to Verizon.

CNet will not be very happy with iPhone. I had guessed that even before reading their reviews, and here is the reason why :

1. CNet thrives on reviews of a wide variety of gadgets with wide variety of models. In case of apple/iphone they don't get enough variety to talk about. (I dont think the variety is needed, I am just saying CNet will never be happy with it)

2. CNet's business is reviewing 'gadgets'. Traditionally gadgets have lots of buttons and the job of a CNet reviewer was trying out everything and giving an opinion about which controls work great and which don't. An iPhone would be an immediate turn-off for the traditional gadget freaks. (I know it was for me since it looked plain compared to all the shiny gadgets with shiny controls that I could talk about. That was until I used iphone).

iPhone has moved its gadgety control stuff inside the the OS. For a CNet reviewer, the review of iPhone will turn into a review of OS/Software rather than hardware. They are not particularly good at that and may not be much interested in a software UI review.

3. Another thing that CNet loves to talk about is the technical specs. They compare gadgets by RAM / memory / CPU power. I believe this kind of comparison is not quite useful as every gadget uses its specs in a unique way. Comparing individual specs is not a true experience. Apple tries to discourage such comparison by not officially giving out the specs for iPhone. This is another big turn-off from gadget reviewer point of view.

So, ironically, the non-gadgety journalists are in better position to give an honest opinion about iphone than a specs minded, hardware loving, gadget guru.

Reviewing an iphone using tech specs is like reviewing a movie by its frame speed, its color processing technology, its projection technology (IMAX, 3D, normal screen) etc.
  • Reply 75 of 190
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trayser View Post

Reviewing an iphone using tech specs is like reviewing a movie by its frame speed, its color processing technology, its projection technology (IMAX, 3D, normal screen) etc.

Nice analogy. Welcome to the forums.
  • Reply 76 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trayser View Post

CNet will not be very happy with iPhone. I had guessed that even before reading their reviews, and here is the reason why :

1. CNet thrives on reviews of a wide variety of gadgets with wide variety of models. In case of apple/iphone they don't get enough variety to talk about. (I dont think the variety is needed, I am just saying CNet will never be happy with it)

2. CNet's business is reviewing 'gadgets'. Traditionally gadgets have lots of buttons and the job of a CNet reviewer was trying out everything and giving an opinion about which controls work great and which don't. An iPhone would be an immediate turn-off for the traditional gadget freaks. (I know it was for me since it looked plain compared to all the shiny gadgets with shiny controls that I could talk about. That was until I used iphone).

iPhone has moved its gadgety control stuff inside the the OS. For a CNet reviewer, the review of iPhone will turn into a review of OS/Software rather than hardware. They are not particularly good at that and may not be much interested in a software UI review.

3. Another thing that CNet loves to talk about is the technical specs. They compare gadgets by RAM / memory / CPU power. I believe this kind of comparison is not quite useful as every gadget uses its specs in a unique way. Comparing individual specs is not a true experience. Apple tries to discourage such comparison by not officially giving out the specs for iPhone. This is another big turn-off from gadget reviewer point of view.

So, ironically, the non-gadgety journalists are in better position to give an honest opinion about iphone than a specs minded, hardware loving, gadget guru.

C-NET HAS A TON of apple blogs, reviews and tech articles. Sometime 4 out of 5 News items are about apple something and the fifth was about firefox being at 130 million users and safari has like 3.

Most of these articles recently have praised Apple inc. Most are positive ,The more apple articles on C-NET the more hits they get,Same as fortune mag.

I can read C-NET news all night long. They have good stuff there. But I warn you take whatever they say with a grain of salt. They do take AD dollars, so those who place ads and spend money with them DO get a special deal.

Honest ?? Except for pogue, I trust the mods here more than anyone else .
  • Reply 77 of 190
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Most people wouldn't dare say the same things in person that they say online.

That's why I like being with a group of friends, there is usually somebody who knows exactly how your thinking/feeling and why, they inject just the right response to get you happy again. You return the favor naturally.

Man is a herd animal, prolong separation from the group is frustrating to him. Computers tend to isolate people unfortunately.

Online communication has it's informational rewards, but it's incomplete. People can't rely upon it as their only source of much needed daily human communication.

A blend of real and online experiences is best.

ok enough already...sounding lame here...
  • Reply 78 of 190
    ldg8ldg8 Posts: 4member
    Well, I pre-ordered 2 32 gig phones through Apple on June 9th.

We've never done the "wait in line" thing for an iPhone before. If we get to the store around 8am, will they only be selling to those who have "pre-ordered" for the first two hours, or will anyone be able to get one?

Just wondering if we'll actually get our pre-ordered phones that day? How long does the entire process typically take?

Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 79 of 190
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I just had Apple ship mine to my house. Says delivers on or before June 19th. I've waited 2yrs for a new phone...I can wait a few hours for it to ship to my house.

Ditto. I've waited two years for my FIRST iPhone. I love the way Apple FedExs stuff direct from China to my door.
  • Reply 80 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ldg8 View Post

Well, I pre-ordered 2 32 gig phones through Apple on June 9th.

We've never done the "wait in line" thing for an iPhone before. If we get to the store around 8am, will they only be selling to those who have "pre-ordered" for the first two hours, or will anyone be able to get one?

Just wondering if we'll actually get our pre-ordered phones that day? How long does the entire process typically take?

Thanks for your help.

Enjoy the line .Its Ablast . Bring lawn chairs and coffee. And if you look left while in the store, you will see the MBP 13". You can buy that too. If you want. I have done so many rock and roll ticket lines .trust me they can be fun.

Enjoy iphone day .