Apple's Snow Leopard disc will install on Tiger Macs

2456789

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    If the above quote is true, by my calculations, purchase of the $29.00 upgrade to SL vs the Family Pack upgrade will work just fine on my multiple Macs as well as knowledge that future OS releases to be installed on family of Macs does not require Family Pack.



    Way to go Apple for single handedly debunking the mythical concept of the need for the "Family Pack"!



    Either that or Apple owes me a refund! Bad Apple!!



    Well, there is no technical check that prevents you from buying the single license version of Snow Leopard and installing it on many Macs. However you're breaking the law and being dis-honest, if that sort of thing matters to you.



    Personally, I like that Apple doesn't spend CPU cycles or engineering resources in building elaborate license checks into their software. It saves me time and means they have more time/money to focus on features that add value to me.



    However, if too many people end up abusing their trust, they may decide they need to start doing so and that would be a shame.
  • Reply 22 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azentropy View Post


    I'm guessing there were not enough Intel/Tiger users to make it worth restricting the install of SL. The probably didn't spend any time in QA, but probably best to do a clean install anyway.



    There is over a year-and-a-half since the first Intel Mac was launched and Leopard was released, but I think you are right. The OS upgrade rate for Mac users is pretty high for PCs so it was probably more trouble than it?s worth to have nearly 2 years of original Leopard users plus all the ones that upgraded to Leopard from Tiger have to deal with that. And remember that Mac sales have done nothing but accelerate each year.
  • Reply 23 of 166
    EULA anyone?
  • Reply 24 of 166
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrik View Post


    I think there is a huge difference between "is technically possible" (to upgrade from Tiger to SL using the $29 upgrade) and "is allowed by the license" (of the upgrade). Until I hear some confirmation that the SL upgrade license does not preclude Tiger users from upgrading, I am not buying the $29 SL upgrade.



    it's like back in the 1990's when a lot of MS software you just put in all 1's for the license key and it took it
  • Reply 25 of 166
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrik View Post


    I think there is a huge difference between "is technically possible" (to upgrade from Tiger to SL using the $29 upgrade) and "is allowed by the license" (of the upgrade). Until I hear some confirmation that the SL upgrade license does not preclude Tiger users from upgrading, I am not buying the $29 SL upgrade.



    very noble of you. although most folks here would probably say you are being stupid and wasting your money.



    but it is nice to see that some folks will play by the rules.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DominikB View Post


    EULA anyone?



    the answer there is anything from stupid to immoral to potentially not legally binding (cause it's not printed out on the box for you to read before you buy etc)



    there are those that just don't care. they will buy a single upgrade to use on 20 hackintoshes and say that they bought the software so no one can tell them what to do with it.
  • Reply 26 of 166
    Many of you sound like you have to deal with Microsoft instead of Apple.



    OH, it isnt perfect, OH it isnt free. OH, Apple did not warn me that technology advances......



    Please. use the software........ enjoy the software.....



    Just a thought.

    en
  • Reply 27 of 166
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post


    If it hadn't been this way, then if you have had to wipe and reinstall, you'd have to install 10.5 first, then 10.6. This way, you can wipe and simply install 10.6. So although they really do believe the $29 price is for guys who already bought 10.5, they're not so hard-core about it that they want to sabotage your experience.



    Pretty decent of them, I'd say.



    I bought my macbook with Tiger, and got Leopard free (well, $10) on the up-to-date program. If I try and install Leopard from scratch, it will (if it cannot find a 10.4 install to work from) request my Tiger DVD to be inserted as proof.



    This way I cannot resell my Tiger disks (why would I want to...), but I can still install with having to install the old version first.



    Why have they removed this simple hassle free check from the SL install? I wonder if the SL up-to-date disks show this behaviour...



    I suspect they don't really care much about the revenue from OS sales, and are happy to turn a blind eye to users who install SL over anything - so long as they are doing it on a Mac...
  • Reply 28 of 166
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post


    Thank goodness this is finally cleared up (although we really knew yesterday with the story from Spain, although MR totally didn't report about the installation).



    Maybe now all the douchebags who insisted that it absolutely wouldn't install without 10.5 already on the disk ("but it's an UPGRADE"!) based on absolutely nothing but their own hunches and wild speculation will learn to keep their yaps shut instead of trying to pass off their worthless opinions as fact.



    My guess is that it's a honeypot for Psystar. They'll opt for the $29 copies so that they can either increase their margin/lower the price, at which point Apple will tear them a new one in court as it is a clear-cut upgrade.
  • Reply 29 of 166
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DominikB View Post


    EULA anyone?



    Nowhere have I seen the EULA posted for the 10.6 upgrade disks. Until anyone actually has seen it and read it... it's only speculative as to what it says.
  • Reply 30 of 166
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post


    My guess is that it's a honeypot for Psystar. They'll opt for the $29 copies so that they can either increase their margin/lower the price, at which point Apple will tear them a new one in court as it is a clear-cut upgrade.





    on Macrumors in the hackintosh thread there is already buzz that SL will be a lot more friendly to generic PC hardware
  • Reply 31 of 166
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,005member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    very noble of you. although most folks here would probably say you are being stupid and wasting your money.



    but it is nice to see that some folks will play by the rules.




    I have always known that single license discs from Apple would work on multiple computers in my home. Many times I have thought about forgoing the family license when upgrading, but in the end it never seemed worth it. I have found the upgrade prices reasonable and the "extra" $20 or $40 or whatever seemed like a small enough to keep me legal.



    I don't know if it is "noble" or me, but I'm not sure if you have the authority to speak for "most people." It is the same way with iTunes. I could find the music for free and so could millions of others, but so many dont. Are you calling all of them "stupid" too?
  • Reply 32 of 166
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post


    Any OS X install disk will allow installation on an unlimited number of computers (from a practical point of view, but not from a legal or moral point of view).

    Any Snow Leopard disk will install on any disk (regardless of pre-existing Leopard installation). But suddenly is morally ok, to install it without owning a Leopard license?



    Yes you can wipe and install on most Macs regardless of what OS (assuming Intel CPU) but I think the point is it will 'upgrade' Tiger leaving files intact.
  • Reply 33 of 166
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    on Macrumors in the hackintosh thread there is already buzz that SL will be a lot more friendly to generic PC hardware



    Not arguing with you, but it seems odd to me if this is the case. This was the perfect moment to do something that would make it harder!
  • Reply 34 of 166
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    I have always known that single license discs from Apple would work on multiple computers in my home. Many times I have thought about forgoing the family license when upgrading, but in the end it never seemed worth it. I have found the upgrade prices reasonable and the "extra" $20 or $40 or whatever seemed like a small enough to keep me legal.



    Partial Quote



    Same here and same for Family Packs of iWorks and iLife disks in this house.
  • Reply 35 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    to potentially not legally binding (cause it's not printed out on the box for you to read before you buy etc)



    The law in the United States is pretty settled on that question and EULAs are legally binding, even if they aren't printed on the box.



    You may not like it, I don't, but that's the way the law stands. But don't just pretend it's not true on an internet forum, write your congress critter....
  • Reply 36 of 166
    I am glad that I only have to pay money not to have to put up with all the waste from Redmond.



    I really appreciate being able to fudge when in a pinch. So much that I try a little harder to keep things clean.



    So Apple's being nice turns out to be smart business for me...
  • Reply 37 of 166
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrik View Post


    Yeah, that's what I got with my Intel MBP 3,1 back in June 2007. To shell out $129 for Leopard that originally had to be released in June 2007 but got delayed by 4 months, without an up-to-date program available, would leave a bitter taste in my mouth (and wallet).



    I cannot say it would have worked but in similar situations I have called Apple Customer Service and had a chat. I had purchased an FCPro Suite upgrade a six months before another one came out. It would have cost me a bundle to upgrade again and I was outside the protected time period. The lady I spoke to reviewed my purchases over the last umpteen years and noted the Apple Care I had. She then made me an offer to upgrade for basically the cost of the manuals and shipping and I gratefully accepted.
  • Reply 38 of 166
    I think it is safe to add that there are 2 Snow Leopard DVDs ... the upgrading set and the full OS set. So, even though someone would be able to install Snow Leopard on an Intel Tiger MAC, the person better buy the full program ... the news seemed to indicate you would be able to do so with the DVD for upgrade... I don't believe you can. Please let me know if I am wrong.



    GS
  • Reply 39 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Partial Quote



    Same here and same for Family Packs of iWorks and iLife disks in this house.



    Same in my house for iWork, though when I bought the family pack it was a mistake since I only owned one Mac at the time and just picked up the wrong box.



    I did feel strangely virtuous when I installed it on my new Mac a year later though.



    Something must be wrong with me - I was brought up to be evil.
  • Reply 40 of 166
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post


    Thank goodness this is finally cleared up (although we really knew yesterday with the story from Spain, although MR totally didn't report about the installation).



    Maybe now all the douchebags who insisted that it absolutely wouldn't install without 10.5 already on the disk ("but it's an UPGRADE"!) based on absolutely nothing but their own hunches and wild speculation will learn to keep their yaps shut instead of trying to pass off their worthless opinions as fact.



    But probably not.



    Doubt we'll even see most of them admit they were wrong on this one. But here's your chance.



    Man, how do you get up in the morning and look yourself in the mirror?



    You actually think it's okay to go to a public forum and use the first post to spill this kind of idiotic bile on everyone concerned? For what? For the great slight of believing what a manufacturer says?



    How dare they be reasonable after all? Don't they realise there are a lot of cheap angry people out there that are just champing at the bit to steal a few bucks from Apple? I mean who does Apple think it is making the best OS on the planet and charging the least amount of money for it? The nerve!
Sign In or Register to comment.