Nintendo profits freefall as iPhone cuts into portable game sales

Comments

• Reply 141 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by travisc77 View Post

To me it seems unlikely that iPhone or iPod Touch had that much of a significant impact on Nintendo's portable sales. Another example of Apple cheer-leading by AI.

What does seem likely is that we are 1) in a recession 2) somewhat stale hardware 3) everybody and their brother already has a Ds. Sure some impact from the touch, but I have yet to any kid dropping the Ds for the games on the Touch.

I've even asked my 9-yr old about the Touch, and he said it was too hard to control compared his Ds or PSP.

Thoughts?

So, because your son is uncoordinated with slow reflexes, that means all little kids are also? I see teens, young and 30+ adults on the train all the time playing games on their iPod touch or iPhone. Used to see more PSP's and Nintendo DS, still see them, but not as much. I see more girls/ladies with a Nintendo DS these days, but even those numbers are less. All based on my daily train observations.

No disrespect to your son, not here to attack a child. But to say a kid, your kid, thinks an iPod touch is too hard to control is like saying for anyone 35-45+ thought Dragon's Lair or Sega or Q-Bert or Pitfall on Atari was too difficult to control. Any game or system is easy to control if the person practices, isn't lazy, has real interest, and good motor skills. If little kids can write iPhone Apps, learn to code JavaScript, use a computer in detail, tinker with taking apart radios, build model planes and cars, and more... they can damn sure use an iPod touch.

To me your argument makes no sense, or just from someone who has a grudge or personal dislike towards Apple.
  • Reply 142 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Comments like this scare me. Even when you think you have the "facts", regardless if you are right or wrong, you should always question them. Common sense is good and all, but not the end all, not by a long shot. Its a good place to start, yes. Question everything around you to come up with your own facts of how the world works.

You NEED to think for yourself, regardless.

what we don't need is suppositions without proof which is what many people here provided. That's not thinking for yourself but making things up, better known as an unfounded opinion based on your own deductions from limited facts. The conclusion that the iphone/ipod touch, currency exchange and low wii sales led to the profit loss is just as valid as any other.

Also I read that your apple free and love linux. Why are you here?
  • Reply 143 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

So, because your son is uncoordinated with slow reflexes, that means all little kids are also?

No disrespect to your son, not here to attack a child.

Score

wanna pick on some cripples next?

Quote:

To me your argument makes no sense, or just from someone who has a grudge or personal dislike towards Apple

To me your argument makes no sense, or just from someone who has a love affair with Apple

I love my Touch with all of my heart, but I absolutely frikken hate (most*) games on it. I have downloaded free games to see what they are like, but never paid for anything on it, as they are not worth the money.

* sol free being the only game i play
  • Reply 144 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by travisc77 View Post

Why do you beg to differ? Look, nobody's saying the iPhone or Touch isn't wildly successful, I'm just saying it doesn't really significantly compete with dedicated portable gaming systems. No matter how many cheap developers are out there, until the content is comparable to the Ds & PSP. Also, how many 4-10 year olds are jailbreaking and pirating software? I agree that more teens may want a iPhone or Touch than a Ds, but they are not buying it solely for gaming, gaming is a bonus.

I look at this comparison similar to console vs PC Gaming. There are advantages in both directions, but clearly the dedicated PC can do much more, and with better graphics. But the consoles will always be more successful gaming platform, because that what they do.

I'm just saying that its a weak argument that the iPhone or Touch are cutting into Nintendo's sales because of gaming. Now I suppose in this economy people have less disposable income, therefore they are buying less gaming products. But maybe they can justify a product that's a phone, internet, calender, etc, etc device. It's an awesome device that can do many things, I just don't think its a great portable gaming device.

I am someone who just bought an iPod Touch for my kids for games instead of buying them a DS.

I bought it for games first. The bonus to me is that later on they can use it for e-mail tunes etc.

So in fact, Nintendo did lose out on Sales to Apple for Gaming. (and I'm sure I'm not the only one.)

Now, I do agree that the DS is a better gaming console.

But I also believe that games for the iphone will keep getting better and better.
  • Reply 145 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Score

wanna pick on some cripples next?

To me your argument makes no sense, or just from someone who has a love affair with Apple

I stand by everything I said... and people shouldn't use their children as examples in a debate and expect folks to give 'em a pass. At age 9 I and many others were building models, train sets, legos, and playing video games with dexterity and high skill. And yes, I have a love affair with Apple, that's why I've purchased all of two APPL products in the past 10+ years and the second replaced the first.
  • Reply 146 of 204
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Niko03 View Post

Exactly - In fact I just bought my Kids - 5 and 7 - an ipod touch. I was tired of giving them my iPhone!

I briefly considered a DS since my oldest had mentioned it before, but I already have money invested in iPhone games. Why start over and spend more on a DS games. He hasn't complained one bit since I got it. And all my games popped right into the touch. Yes many DS games have more depth at this time, but I think that will change.

I am one person who two years ago would have bought a DS. I did not. I bought an iPod Touch. The article has merit.

The only thing I regret is not buying two!

Same here. I have an inkling that the people who dispute the iPod Touch's impact on the DSI do not have children old enough.

My son got his 1 and only DS last year. Here's the scenario you COULD find happen.

Dad "Hey Timmy! Where's that Animal Crossing game you like so much?"

Timmy - I let a classmate play it and he let me have xxxxx game"

Dad "Nice ...hope we get that game back as we paid 30 bucks for the game and you've got a bargain bin title in this trade"

I want the games to be managed by "me" and I don't want to entrust my son to $30 games that can be lost or traded away.

The iPod Touch is a good gaming system for kids and as more and more children come of age their parents will "get it" and make the iPod Touch move.

As your children get older they can start using the social networking and calendar and contacts features to better effect.
  • Reply 147 of 204
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Apple operated in the same economy ... I mean, let's face it ... even SJ isn't that good!

No they didn't, Apple is an American company, Nintendo Japanese, they react harder to the exchange rate changes than Apple does (well Apple just raises their international prices when the US$ drops)
  • Reply 148 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Same here. I have an inkling that the people who dispute the iPod Touch's impact on the DSI do not have children old enough.

My son got his 1 and only DS last year. Here's the scenario you COULD find happen.

I want the games to be managed by "me" and I don't want to entrust my son to $30 games that can be lost or traded away.

The iPod Touch is a good gaming system for kids and as more and more children come of age their parents will "get it" and make the iPod Touch move.

As your children get older they can start using the social networking and calendar and contacts features to better effect.

But you are willing to entrust the iPod touch to them, and what happens when they swap that for something else?

At the end of the day, if you don't trust your kids with things, then don't get them the device in the first place
  • Reply 149 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Niko03 View Post

Now, I do agree that the DS is a better gaming console.

But I also believe that games for the iphone will keep getting better and better.

As the games get better and better, and longer, then the games will also go up in price, and you will be facing the same prices that the portable consoles charge.

Which then leads you to the articles going around claiming a large number pirated apps being distributed for the iPhone, iPod Touch. Unless Apple can fix that issue, the "better and better" games won't appear
  • Reply 150 of 204
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

But you are willing to entrust the iPod touch to them, and what happens when they swap that for something else?

At the end of the day, if you don't trust your kids with things, then don't get them the device in the first place

They know that they don't swap players like games. My gf's 10 yrd old isn't allowed to take the Touch to school.

It's not really a trust issue it's a control one. I want to be able to control what games my son plays and exchanging games doesn't violate my trust more than it violates my authority. I know what games are appropriate for him and the iPod allows me much more control over what is on the iPod.

Now I haven't purchased a Touch for my son ...he's too young but next summer I think he might be ready.
  • Reply 151 of 204
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post

Nintendo has needed to be purchased by Apple for at least two console generations now. Very compatible corporate philosophies.

Nintendo did pretty darn well for itself with the Wii and of course, nearly every handheld system they made, I don't know what you mean there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

I stand by everything I said... and people shouldn't use their children as examples in a debate and expect folks to give 'em a pass. At age 9 I and many others were building models, train sets, legos, and playing video games with dexterity and high skill. And yes, I have a love affair with Apple, that's why I've purchased all of two APPL products in the past 10+ years and the second replaced the first.

I don't see how your comments are warranted though. It seems like you're more willing to hate the user than consider even the slightest possibility that the hardware might not be quite responsive. It's pretty plainly visible to me that the iPhone/Touch hardware isn't as responsive with virtual vs. hardware with physical buttons. Maybe I should just say that you must be slow if you can't tell the difference in lag? See, it can go both ways.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I'm guessing that you never noticed that headlines, even in newspapers tend to be sensationalistic and over the top, .... meant to grab your attention .... if you want the real story, you have to read further, but , you probably already knew that .... or not..

No, unless you're comparing AI to yellow journalism rather than a good newspaper. And yes, I've been a newspaper reader for maybe a couple decades. I've not seen a newspaper do it anywhere nearly this egregiously.

Also, can you guys stop with the unnecessary bolding?
  • Reply 152 of 204
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

No they didn't, Apple is an American company, Nintendo Japanese, they react harder to the exchange rate changes than Apple does (well Apple just raises their international prices when the US$ drops)

In case you haven't noticed, the whole freakin' world seems to be in a recession right now .... or hasn't it hit your street yet? Plus I see that the Japanese Auto makers managed to more or less keep their marketshare using the same exchange rates that nintendo uses.
  • Reply 153 of 204
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samanjj View Post

what we don't need is suppositions without proof which is what many people here provided. That's not thinking for yourself but making things up, better known as an unfounded opinion based on your own deductions from limited facts. The conclusion that the iphone/ipod touch, currency exchange and low wii sales led to the profit loss is just as valid as any other.

Also I read that your apple free and love linux. Why are you here?

Perfectly stated.

And to answer your last question: because they get a kick out of trolling.
  • Reply 154 of 204
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    The whole world is in a recession... so why is why Apple is enjoying record sales, and why did the stock just hit a record high? If the recession is to blame, then why aren't they suffering as well?

Look on Amazon's Best Selling Electronics list. The Touch (32GB) is #3, the 8GB is #5, the 64GB is #37, and even the old 16GB is #77. No games or consoles are listed in the top 100. (Though, oddly enough, the Kindle is somehow #1.)

Even in the dedicated video game category, the first portable unit, the Nintendo DSi, is #48, not even in the top 5, 10, or 25.

And that's not even counting iPhones.

And yes, ask a "gamer" which "game" machine he wants, and it may well be a DSi. Ask anyone else what single device (for music, movies, and games) they'd prefer to carry day-to-day, and it will probably be a Touch or an iPhone.

And for most people, if you have one game device, that's also your music and media player, that's with you 100% of the time, then why are you going to want another special-purpose device that requires expensive games, yet another charger, and takes up more room in your backpack?

Like it or not, Apple is a player in the space...
  • Reply 155 of 204
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

The whole world is in a recession... so why is why Apple is enjoying record sales, and why did the stock just hit a record high? If the recession is to blame, then why aren't they suffering as well?

They are/were affected like everyone else. There stock plummetted more than the average stock as tech companies usually do, but they also rebounded faster as tech companies usually do. But they have had strong products that have helped them maintain growth YoY while in the recession.

They are also more resilient than other companies because they do have substantial cash available. This helps when buying bulk on the cheap well in advance, but it helps steady stockholders a bit more than a company losing cash or running with a debt. I think they only quarter they were down YoY is in fiscal quarter 2 (Jan?Mar).

Can?t wait to see what happens to Apple once we get a true bull market again.

Quote:

Though, oddly enough, the Kindle is somehow #1.

It?s the only place you can buy the Kindle. I?m sure they are being truthful, but it does skew the figures a bit.
  • Reply 156 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Like it or not, Apple is a player in the space...

A player that others ignore at their peril.
  • Reply 157 of 204
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post

You know, this has nothing to do with your post, but while that statistic is mentioned, I find it interesting that Nintendo has sold more DS systems in Japan than there are Softbank subscribers, the iPhone's carrier in Japan.

and there are more 5x more itunes users than existing apple computers
  • Reply 158 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

and there are more 5x more itunes users than existing apple computers

Too true, Bruce.
  • Reply 159 of 204
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post

You know, this has nothing to do with your post, but while that statistic is mentioned, I find it interesting that Nintendo has sold more DS systems in Japan than there are Softbank subscribers, the iPhone's carrier in Japan.

I don?t see the relevance of that statistic. If we take the iPod, Apple has sold 220M. I figure about half have been sold in the US. That makes the number of iPods sold in the US higher than the number of subscribers on AT&T?s network, 81.6M.
  • Reply 160 of 204
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

I'm guessing you're not a parent...

Facts are facts... kids want hand held game systems and parents or generous uncles will usually/eventually buy them. Then with any of the card based games they want to bring one or more to school and yes it is quite common for them to disappear without a trace and at 25-35 bucks each that's a problem.

The iPod Touch lessens the potential loss... and before you say 'someone can just steal the iPod... well yes and someone can just steal the DS and all the kids games and what the hell his sneakers and baseball cap too... there's a very big difference from 'the bully stole my games' to otherwise friendly kids who are swapping games with each other on a regular basis and then every once in a while something goes missing.

Kids will generally understand the value of a game player and will talk to someone in authority if some bully tries to steal it... but if 'ALL THE KIDS' are loaning out their games then so will your child and generally will not make a huge deal if some go missing... I'm speaking from a certain level of confidence on this issue since I was talking to my brother just the other day and he brought this exact issue up..