Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 101 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I just wish I could enjoy the Mac OS X GUI on a nice shiny, quad-core, 27 inch iMac. *looks in wallet, sighs.*

I guess I'll have to "settle" for my 8 month old 24 incher.

Monitor envy. The new replacement for that "other" envy based on size.
  • Reply 102 of 229
    Nothing new for me.

Those photocopiers were made out of one big piece of SH!T
  • Reply 103 of 229
    [QUOTE=knightlie;1518941]Touch-control on a desktop computer is pointless and overrated. The ability to reach over my desk and touch the screen instead of using a mouse or touchpad is unnecessary and considerably more difficult. It'll also very quickly result in painful injury. [/quopte]

You must be a special type pf person if you think that the sole input will ever be by touchscreen on any computer. painful injury, lol.

Ever had kids? Ever seen kids playing with touchscreen computers? what abotu a touchscrene computer in a kitchen - fantastic things.

Quote:

It's only slightly more useful on a notebook and is perfectly suited to handheld devices. The failure of the tablet PC format shows that touch-screens are not needed for general use.

the failure of tablet PC's is that they used to be too expensive for the general public to purcahse.

Quote:

The touch-screen abilities of Windows 7 are just more Microsoft Kool-aid, of which you seem to have been drinking a long and deep draught.

They are a start, but hardware needs to catch up first.
  • Reply 104 of 229
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Can you define exactly what that means? My Mac is as 'flexible" as I need it to be. What exactly is inflexible and restricted on OSX?

Neither am I on my Mac - again, define what this means, instead of using the same old anti-Apple soundbites - what "control?"

So what? Flash is a steaming pile of manure, good only for playing ads and Youtube. I don't use it and I don't miss it.

I have a few, yes, but I power up my PC or Wii if I want to play any serious games. OSX isn't a gaming platform any more than my Motorola V220 is a smartphone, but I don't whine that I can't get applications on it. Again, the games argument is just a tired old anti-Apple soundbite that serious users don't care about.

True, but simple and free security tools will largely prevent this.

Touch-control on a desktop computer is pointless and overrated. The ability to reach over my desk and touch the screen instead of using a mouse or touchpad is unnecessary and considerably more difficult. It'll also very quickly result in painful injury. It's only slightly more useful on a notebook and is perfectly suited to handheld devices. The failure of the tablet PC format shows that touch-screens are not needed for general use.

The touch-screen abilities of Windows 7 are just more Microsoft Kool-aid, of which you seem to have been drinking a long and deep draught.

Here you answered you own questions -now live in it:

Quote:

Flash is a steaming pile of manure, good only for playing ads and Youtube. I don't use it and I don't miss it.

You're not getting the whole web experience when the web uses flash. You are under Apple's control and you embrace it which is the sad thing and berate the other 90% of its users.

You can go back to your Apple drip now- red I presume as green is owned by the Beatles.
  • Reply 105 of 229
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

VESA does not have to be just 'hung on wall'. There are many different uses for VESA mount. Swivel, extend, raise, lower tilt, etc.

Why aren't those features built into the iMac's neck to begin with like any $500 Dell?
  • Reply 106 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

Kind of pathetic...but at least they are honest.

Apple = leading edge

Microsoft = trailing edge

Same as it ever was.
  • Reply 107 of 229
    Well, that's Micro$oft for ya,

Always looking to cop a feel.
  • Reply 108 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why aren't those features built into the iMac's neck to begin with like any $500 Dell?

Because they need such a slender neck to show you how big their heads are. With VESA, you could look like normal!
  • Reply 109 of 229
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

perhaps Rosebud steakhouse is blending mcdonalds nad serving it in a fancy aluminium enclosure?

I 'd.
  • Reply 110 of 229
    Microsoft - "Windows 7: Mac OS X for the rest of us"

That said it comes close, but falls short. Microsoft didn't copy enough.
  • Reply 111 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Ahhhh...

But the difference is that one can very easily modify/alter the appearance of almost ANY element of Windows, as opposed to the Mac OS which offers very little by way of 'customization' (of any sort).

Macs are little more than computing appliances, ones that cater to the absolute lowest common denominator of user e.g. those who want every aspect of their computing experience decided for them.

Me, I prefer a bit more involvement...

Are you serious? Being able to reconfigure the colors and appearance of your desktop, windows, and various controls is how you judge the computing experience on a given platform?

Sometimes I wonder why some people even bother to own computers.
  • Reply 112 of 229
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wickedbob View Post

Hmmm.. I see Windows7 looking more like Linux than MacOSX.

The taskbar doesn't look anything like Mac's dock.

I agree with you.

I'd say MS was trying to provide OSX-sort-of-experience but they didn't copy OSX Dock - they went a bit different, and in some aspects better way.

New Windows Superbar to me looks like synergy of Vista's (and older Windows) Quicklaunch and Takskbar - with a few more goodies thrown in.
  • Reply 113 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

they are a criminal organization...all they do is steal, their real business isn't software

As opposed to Apple which is a fascist party - all they do is dictate what people can do with their OS (which g can only be put on their glossy-screened, shiny hardware)

OS X? - based on BSD.. bunch of copy-cats! Oh no wait, I forget, Apple is allowed to copy, because Apple spells copy: i-n-n-o-v-a-t-i-o-n

Get over yourselves. MS saw which parts of OS X are effective and employed those - like every other company does. IMHO Win7 window management is better than on OS X, being able to enlarge windows from every corner, and the new Win7 drag-to-extents feature.

Bah, all this GUI stuff is copied from Xerox anyway.
  • Reply 114 of 229
    I'm a Mac guy myself, but honestly I think it took alot of class and courage to say something like this.. it's a very respectful thing to do, especially in a market where this kind of comment can eat you alive.

Not very many people at microsoft would have the integrity to say something like this.. nor would anyone at apple.
  • Reply 115 of 229
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When it looked to redesign its dominant operating system after the struggles of Windows Vista, Microsoft reportedly turned to Apple's Mac OS X for the "look and feel" of Windows 7.

Simon Aldous, partner group manager with Microsoft, told PCR that the graphical style of Windows 7 -- which he calls "Vista on steroids" -- was inspired by the look of Apple's Mac OS X. The new Windows operating system launched in October.

"One of the things that people say an awful lot about the Apple Mac is that the OS is fantastic, that it's very graphical and easy to use," Aldous said. "What we?ve tried to do with Windows 7 -- whether it's traditional format or in a touch format -- is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics. We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance."

One of the more obvious similarities between Windows 7 and Mac OS X is the new taskbar. By default, the Windows 7 taskbar acts much like the dock that has been in OS X, combining program applications for both launching and accessing open windows, with only one icon per running application. And like Expose with the OS X dock, Windows 7 allows users to glimpse open windows on the taskbar before selecting them with Aero Peek.

The similarities between Windows 7 and Apple's latest operating system upgrade, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, were noted by The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg in his review of the Microsoft software. He said he believes that the Mac OS is still the superior operating system, but only slightly.

Snow Leopard had a head-start on Windows 7, launching in late August to positive reviews that praised the software's performance improvements and bargain $29 price. Consumers also responded positively to Mac OS X 10.6, with initial sales doubling that of its predecessor, Leopard, and coming in four times higher than Tiger.

For more comparing and contrasting Windows 7 with Snow Leopard, read the AppleInsider Windows 7 vs. Mac OS X Snow Leopard series.

This is news? Cmon AI, I think most of us are aware that Apple is Microsoft's R&D center...
  • Reply 116 of 229
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Think about it.

He just admitted the competition is "fantastic." I don't know about you, but he just did Apple's marketing for them. And he was asked about Windows 7, not Apple. If that weren't bad enough, he also admitted that they tried to "create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics."

Double-whammy. He basically admitted that MS are ripoff artists. Way to feed in to the classic MS stereotypes, which apparently have been true all along.

It seems that every time an MS employee speaks (especially Ballmer - the CEO, even more scary), they make Apple look great. Even the Laptop Hunter ads admitted subtly that Macs were the most desirable product.

"What we?ve tried to do with Windows 7 -- whether it's traditional format or in a touch format -- is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics."

So then WTH is the point of Windows 7 when you can get the Real Thing with a Mac??

Smooth move, Ace.

And he also noticed vista is more stable and reliable than OSX. What he actually said is "We took good idea and implemented it with better core product", which is hardly flattering to Apple.

Strange how that part didn't really stick to your observation.
  • Reply 117 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post

As opposed to Apple which is a fascist party - all they do is dictate what people can do with their OS (which g can only be put on their glossy-screened, shiny hardware)

OS X? - based on BSD.. bunch of copy-cats! Oh no wait, I forget, Apple is allowed to copy, because Apple spells copy: i-n-n-o-v-a-t-i-o-n

Get over yourselves. MS saw which parts of OS X are effective and employed those - like every other company does. IMHO Win7 window management is better than on OS X, being able to enlarge windows from every corner, and the new Win7 drag-to-extents feature.

Bah, all this GUI stuff is copied from Xerox anyway.

I really think political comparisons like this are pretty lame.. it kind of says "I don't actually know anything about fascism, I just call anything I don't like a facist".

You see the big difference here is if you don't like what apple offers you, you can just not buy it! You have a "CHOICE".. thats called democracy.
  • Reply 118 of 229
    What's the big deal? I fully expect all developers from any company to check out the competition and take on board their best concepts. If they didn't do this the company would not last long. The trick is not to just reverse engineer something but look at what's actually good about it, improve on it and build that into your software in a way that differentiates your product.
  • Reply 119 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Are you serious? Being able to reconfigure the colors and appearance of your desktop, windows, and various controls is how you judge the computing experience on a given platform?

Sometimes I wonder why some people even bother to own computers.

Exactly. What's the point in being able to customise a personal computer... doesn't make any sense!
  • Reply 120 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Exactly. What's the point in being able to customise a personal computer... doesn't make any sense!

I can't think of anything less important, or more a waste of my time, that I could do on a computer than twiddle with the window colors.