Microsoft denies Apple had influence on Windows 7 design

Comments

• Reply 41 of 172
    "We're the OS X Design team and Windows 7 was our idea"

This retraction by MS is necessary damage control but foolish.
  • Reply 42 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

I went into a shop the other day to look at some of the PCs with Win7 on them, and I couldn't see anything that even comes close to OSX.

I found myself looking at the Win7 laptop and thinking this is just like XP with a little bit more polish too, and it was nothing like the (re)volution that I'd expected. It just wasn't at all what I thought, even from the odd Win7 screenshot I've seen.

On the desktop were a few things on the side saying stuff like "Click here for" excitement' or something like that and I thought that it was a joke. A few other trivial links on the desktop seemed to be the kind of things that would never slip through the Apple HQ.

I was shocked to be honest and thoughts of getting a Win7 machine for the house quickly evaporated. Can anyone tell me, or put up some screenies, that show where OSX and Win7 are similar and where it looks as good as OSX?

I use Vista, Windows 7, OSX. Non of them look alike. However if you went to a place like bestbuy its hard to get a good feel for Windows 7.

This would be a valid Windows 7 screenshot.

http://blog.brothersoft.com/wp-conte...o_again_01.png
  • Reply 43 of 172
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neondiet View Post

OS X has no touch features? What do you think the iPhone is running: OS X Lite! Why would I want a laptop or desktop with a touch screen anyway? I hate that. Anyone attempting to touch my screen gets slapped for leaving smudgy fingerprint marks behind. It's not as quick and easy to clean as an iPhone.

Because it has more glossy glass than an iPhone's-right? The larger the glass the more of a smudge?

Do you hate touching your ATM's screen running Windows everytime you pull out cash?
  • Reply 44 of 172
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joergsi View Post

Nope, Apple has stolen from XEROX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto

regards,

Joerg

So what. The first computer company got their tech from dribbles and hints of alien tech.
  • Reply 45 of 172
    Quote:

regards,

Joerg

kewel- thanx for that
  • Reply 46 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

...... and Steve Ballmer is a replicant of Steve Jobs!

So why is microsoft opening stores next to apple? and why do they have a guru bar? are those ideas apple has been employing for years now? or did microsoft have these thoughts but sat on them this whole time to implement them?

And what about microsofts smart phone that is revolutionizing the smart phone industry? where is this pink product they're working on, I hear winmobile is truly revolutionary and everyone is breaking their necks to copy its design and feel.

But I guess in your eyes, microsoft is truly the innovative company here and apple is just some side show mimicking everything microsoft does. Didn't Sun and Oracle have to rescue microsoft's acquired Danger database from corruption recently? they moved the system to windows servers and it crashed and burned?
  • Reply 47 of 172
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Looking forward to a denial that the Microsoft stores and Guru Bar copied anything from Apple.

Haha... that would be the biggest lie in the computer industry! Pleeeeeease Microsoft I dare you to tell us all that MS stores weren't copied from Apple.

You can bet that MS had people go into lots of Apple stores, photograph it, listen into conversations with Geniuses and others, make notes about the way computer are presented, look at the labelling, lighting, glass thickness, floor coverings, music choices, screen information etc etc and then bring it all back to Redmond to help write their instructions for the new store builds.
  • Reply 48 of 172
    Quote:

Right- let me know when that Swipe runs two apps (Windows) at once in that MiniME OS. Kay?

Please go back and reread what he wrote, and CAREFULLY.

He's not talking about the iPhone or iPod Touch. He's talking about a recent laptop with the multitouch trackpads. Sure, it's not touching the screen, but it is using touch features originally used on the iPhone/iPod and then transferred to the laptops.
  • Reply 49 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Haha... that would be the biggest lie in the computer industry! Pleeeeeease Microsoft I dare you to tell us all that MS stores weren't copied from Apple.

Oh right- we all know that Apple invented retail, glass buildings, spiral staircases, t shirts, apple logos, etc.

Did I leave out anything? \
  • Reply 50 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

Please go back and reread what he wrote, and CAREFULLY.

He's not talking about the iPhone or iPod Touch. He's talking about a recent laptop with the multitouch trackpads. Sure, it's not touching the screen, but it is using touch features originally used on the iPhone/iPod and then transferred to the laptops.

It's a non-touch Touch- right?
  • Reply 51 of 172
    Quote:

Oh right- we all know that Apple invented retail, glass buildings, spiral staircases, t shirts, apple logos, etc.

Did I leave out anything? \

No teckstud, you're right. There is no experience quite like being in an Apple store. Not for the products, it's the whole package. I know I sound really fanboyish right now, but it's actually true. I receive shit service in most places except the Apple store. Mind you Canadian customer service is quite lacking compared to the US.
  • Reply 52 of 172
    You know- you never hear Microsoft bragging that their Windows epress check out devices have been used in Apple stores for years. They're above all that.
  • Reply 53 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fartheststar View Post

No teckstud, you're right. There is no experience quite like being in an Apple store. Not for the products, it's the whole package. I know I sound really fanboyish right now, but it's actually true. I receive shit service in most places except the Apple store. Mind you Canadian customer service is quite lacking compared to the US.

Amazon's built their reputation on service. Isn't there an Amazon in Canada?
  • Reply 54 of 172
    No but, yeah but, no but, yeah but ,no but yeah, but he really didn't say that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1C_8qg-e0
  • Reply 55 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fartheststar View Post

Mind you Canadian customer service is quite lacking compared to the US.

Customer service in the US is pretty poor. Even if you do get someone to help you most of the time they have no clue what they are talking about.
  • Reply 56 of 172
    Quote:

Amazon's built their reputation on service. Isn't there an Amazon in Canada?

Yeah, they are

They don't offer all the electronics.... but ... I always use them. There is one massive book chain here - and Amazon. The retail prices on this particuar box store are always more (which I find weird, prices are printed on the cover of books) combined with crap customer service, I always use Amazon.
  • Reply 57 of 172
    Quote:

...... and Steve Ballmer is a replicant of Steve Jobs!

Made with defective alpha release parts?
  • Reply 58 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

You know with This talk of copy cop copy.

Want to

see where a lot of leopard features came from?

And I do mean a lot.

This video is 7 years or older. After the 3rd slide it goes live to an audience.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXv8V...=youtube_gdata

So who's copying who? This should quiet a lot of people from both sides.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Everybody has R&D stuff like this. The differeReeally. You watchednce is Apple doesn't show theirs off at conferences.

"Looking Glass" is also far from the first project to look at these kinds of things. To say that Leopard got "a lot" of it's features from Looking Glass is a wild exaggeration even based on what is in the video.

Really. Yiibwatcged the whole video and can't figure out what came from looking glass and made it in to leopard) Looking Glass was light years ahead of Aple but they never bright ut to market. Just curious. Have you ever heard of yzDock?
  • Reply 59 of 172
    Quote:

regards,

Joerg

FAIL. Apple did not STEAL anything from Xerox.

People at Xerox didn't know what to do with the technology, so Apple LICENSED it.

Microsoft then stole it from Apple. FYI to the gullible, anyone can put anything on wiki.

TRUTH: Xerox had invested a million dollars into Apple’s development while it had no relationship with Microsoft.

Why Microsoft’s Copy-Killing Has Reached a Dead End:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/1...ed-a-dead-end/
  • Reply 60 of 172
    They are compulsively embarrassing themselves.

Just when one guy from ms who it seems is not a loser, a lier and counterfeiter steps up and gives the company some minimal credit for some modicum of honesty, there come then the corporate honchos to leave (again) no doubt what a sorry bunch of conniving corporate vermin they are, equal to the likes of enron and lehman brothers.

Congratulations again ms, add this one to the gargantuan list of making yourself look absolutely foolish.