Major publisher preps for Apple tablet as delay rumor surfaces

Comments

• Reply 101 of 153
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

So now your speaking for "most people" .... how misguided and arrogant!

So you think most people then are impulsive/compulsive shoppers.

I'M not speaking for most people by that statement if you understood grammar.
  • Reply 102 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Hardly. They are all jailbroken and running on T-mobile or shipped to the third world. Noboby is throwing them away.

Well I have always heard that "one man's trash is another man's treasure" so you do have a point- somewhat. \
  • Reply 103 of 153
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm going to posit that there is no chance at all that an Apple Tablet will be an e-reader, at all.

That's just as silly, but in the other direction. The iPhone is already an e-reader, and Apple didn't have to lift a finger to make it so.

I see that I made a mistake in my post. I meant the iTunes Store, not just iTunes. I'll go back and fix that. Then my post should be clearer: The technologies to do an e-reader right are in place now. There will presumably be an App Store. There are already plans to sell magazines through the iTunes Store. All that's needed is a tablet and an app.

Apple doesn't actually have to do anything, although in my opinion it would help if they did. Really, the question is not whether the tablet will become an e-reader--it will--but whether it will do so because publishers see an opportunity to go that way and act independently, or because Steve Jobs sees an opportunity to revolutionize publishing for the second time. Apple didn't lead the desktop publishing revolution the first time. They just provided the platform that made it possible.
  • Reply 104 of 153
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well I have always heard that "one man's trash is another man's treasure" so you do have a point- somewhat. \

NY has a lot of rude angry snobs. I used to work there several years ago. So glad to be somewhere pleasant now. That place will make you crazy. So I can sort of understand your issues.
  • Reply 105 of 153
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I not speaking for most people by that statement if you understood grammar.

HaHaHa ... pot, meet kettle!

quote from TechDud: " most people do their homework prior to purchasing big ticket items"
  • Reply 106 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

HaHaHa ... pot, meet kettle!

quote from TechDud: " most people do their homework prior to purchasing big ticket items"

Well I tried to get you to understand in plain English and it didn't work so I thought I'd try Ebonics.
  • Reply 107 of 153
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

The whole marketing of the MacBook Air was based on its looks (read thinness) as it could fit in an interoffice envelope. Its whole raison d'etre was that is was sooo thin and light in its weight. It was supposed to make us like something just because it looked like a thin notepad and weighed like a feather. I could care less for the skinny underpowered bitch myself.

I carry my laptop in my briefcase to and from work every day. The formfactor of the MacBook Air appeals to me more than any other computer because it is thin (so I can fit as much other stuff in my case as I need) and light (so I can carry everything with ease).

Reducing the footprint to a 10 inch screen or 8 inch screen (with its accompanying non-standard keyboard) helps me not at all and leaves me with the aforementioned tiny keyboard.

I would never go so far as to state that the smaller footprint netbook computers are not good for some, but they would be of no use to me at all. To simply assert that the skinnyness of the Air is useless for all (just because you don't value that feature) falls somewhere between egocentricism and idiocy.
  • Reply 108 of 153
    so.. by the end of 2010.. i can get an apple tablet?

heh..

looks like the chrome OS is an ideal OS for ANY tablet.. wut will apple do?... OR.. what do they have something better up in their sleeves?
  • Reply 109 of 153
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Well I tried to get you to understand in plain English and it didn't work so I thought I'd try Ebonics.

Before learning a "second language" you might try fully learning the one you post in .... that would be a big help.
  • Reply 110 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Arbitrary and uninformed. Without knowing what the actual device is like, you have no basis for saying that. People will drop that amount and more for a laptop. Surely as price goes up, the number of buyers goes down. But a statement like yours is entirely fatuous, almost as fatuous as the comment I saw below yours that fanboys would line up outside the store. Apple purchasers tend to be as pragmatic as anyone else. Except our equation for "whether to buy" isn't completely dominated by price. Some people don't understand that. Price is their only metric. Some of us, though, have more sophisticated metrics. For you, perhaps, price is the alpha and the omega. I pity you and the machines you must have to surround yourself with.

Price is a factor for the majority of consumers. Also the main issue with price on this is OLED would be the majority of the price increase. Consumers, not even Apple consumers are going to pay an extra 1000.00 just for an OLED option. Even more so if they understand the limitations of the technology.

You would be rather shocked that teh machines I have. My Apple systems are by far the slowest systems I own.
  • Reply 111 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I carry my laptop in my briefcase to and from work every day. The formfactor of the MacBook Air appeals to me more than any other computer because it is thin (so I can fit as much other stuff in my case as I need) and light (so I can carry everything with ease).

Reducing the footprint to a 10 inch screen or 8 inch screen (with its accompanying non-standard keyboard) helps me not at all and leaves me with the aforementioned tiny keyboard.

I would never go so far as to state that the smaller footprint netbook computers are not good for some, but they would be of no use to me at all. To simply assert that the skinnyness of the Air is useless for all (just because you don't value that feature) falls somewhere between egocentricism and idiocy.

You still don't get that I stated a notebook not a netbook which is full powered. the footprint of the MBA is too large- same as the 13" and that is why Apple is devloping this smaller form factor because they don't have anything in the 7 to 10" range.
  • Reply 112 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

That's just as silly, but in the other direction. The iPhone is already an e-reader, and Apple didn't have to lift a finger to make it so.

Absolutely.

The problem that people are having in determining how much people will pay for a tablet and what it will do is that no tablet computer has yet found a niche or a "killer app" and become widely popular. There is nothing to compare it to. (If there is, then the product is doomed already because a retread of old ideas isn't going to fly no matter how beautiful the package.)

The Kindle is, however, percieved as successful right now and it looks to some like a modified tablet. With the Apple tablet rumors, then, people with little imagination can only picture it as a fancy e-reader.

Incidentally, before the iPhone came out, people could only see it as a "iPod-phone" because there was nothing like the iPhone in existance. People will never pay hundreds for that, they said before they even knew what it would really be.

Because the iPhone is so much more than a phone with music capabilities, and because Jobs himself has apparently taken the tablet as a signature item (like he did the iPhone) one has to assume that it will do things most of us haven't thought of or even realize we want to do.
  • Reply 113 of 153
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You would be rather shocked that teh machines I have. My Apple systems are by far the slowest systems I own.

I would not be shocked, I don't care at all. Most modern computers have twice as much power as the the average user needs.

From my perspective, I can easily make a lot of money with a Mac. Even our fast Windows machines are so awkwardly non-intuitive, I could probably make more money collecting aluminum cans than I could using those dinosaurs. Once in a long while I have to use a piece of Windows software to finish a job but it is really, really rare.
  • Reply 114 of 153
    Quote:

You still don't get that I stated a notebook not a netbook which is full powered. the footprint of the MBA is too large- same as the 13" and that is why Apple is devloping this smaller form factor because they don't have anything in the 7 to 10" range.

I understand that you want something with a smaller footprint. That is your right to want that.

Have you considered that the MacBook Air was not intended to be what you wanted? You call it a failure because it doesn't fit your need, but are ignoring that it does fit my needs.

Now, no one argues that the Air is a runaway blockbuster success. But Apple is selling them and it fits their target image. Mild success, I would say, not falure.

Bottom line:

I would be happy if Apple decided to produce a 7-10 inch notebook for you if it helped their bottom line.

And I would not call it a failure simply because it did not fit my needs.
  • Reply 115 of 153
    Quote:

I understand that you want something with a smaller footprint. That is your right to want that.

Have you considered that the MacBook Air was not intended to be what you wanted? You call it a failure because it doesn't fit your need, but are ignoring that it does fit my needs.

Now, no one argues that the Air is a runaway blockbuster success. But Apple is selling them and it fits their target image. Mild success, I would say, not falure.

Bottom line:

I would be happy if Apple decided to produce a 7-10 inch notebook for you if it helped their bottom line.

And I would not call it a failure simply because it did not fit my needs.

And where did I call it a failure? All I said Apple has failed and missed out on the 7- 10" form factor for more than 2 years now. We are finally approaching Apple's launch date for this size and will see if it was worth the wait.

Bottom line:

Enjoy your portable typewriter-I'm glad it suits your needs.
  • Reply 116 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Price is a factor for the majority of consumers. Also the main issue with price on this is OLED would be the majority of the price increase. Consumers, not even Apple consumers are going to pay an extra 1000.00 just for an OLED option. Even more so if they understand the limitations of the technology.

I don't know why the critics are so appaled by the possibility of an expensive OLED option in an unannounced product. Clearly, the LED version would be the better choice for most everybody if these price estimates hold up. If some people with extra discretionary income choose to make the upgrade for little percieved value, why does it matter to you?

The real questions are: Will the $700-$1000 LCD version be compelling? Will it change things like the iPhone did?
  • Reply 117 of 153
    Quote:

Bottom line:

Enjoy your portable typewriter-I'm glad it suits your needs.

Thank you.

• Reply 118 of 153
    Quote:

Absolutely.

The problem that people are having in determining how much people will pay for a tablet and what it will do is that no tablet computer has yet found a niche or a "killer app" and become widely popular. There is nothing to compare it to. (If there is, then the product is doomed already because a retread of old ideas isn't going to fly no matter how beautiful the package.)

The Kindle is, however, percieved as successful right now and it looks to some like a modified tablet. With the Apple tablet rumors, then, people with little imagination can only picture it as a fancy e-reader.

Incidentally, before the iPhone came out, people could only see it as a "iPod-phone" because there was nothing like the iPhone in existance. People will never pay hundreds for that, they said before they even knew what it would really be.

Because the iPhone is so much more than a phone with music capabilities, and because Jobs himself has apparently taken the tablet as a signature item (like he did the iPhone) one has to assume that it will do things most of us haven't thought of or even realize we want to do.

well said..

thaz why the anticipation is high and expections are even higher. I really don't care how much it costs, if it makes my everyday life more efficient; I'd pay it at any price.

so before they reveal it.. i won't judge if it is "pricy"

on that note.. I fail to see how they going to fill the gap between a notebook and an iphone. Perhaps you say it's a "multi-touch netbook?" , Gee, let me see, so do i give up my phone and carry this with my laptop? or do i give up my laptop and carry this with my iphone? all 3 devices at once?

best case scenereo for me:

bye-bye MBP, iMac at home, Windows PC at work, "iTablet" to sync both machines, equipped with a bluetooth headset for the phone function, so i don't have to carry around my iphone, and ultimately, the headset would sync my iphone for the weekend when the iTablet is absent.

yarrrh? nooooo?..
  • Reply 119 of 153
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Indeed. We certainly don't need more Flash.

Well, speak for yourself. I don't care what SJ says - I'm missing Flash on my iPhone. \
  • Reply 120 of 153
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I have a clue, and it's that Apple will shock and impress yet again with its next new product, and it will yet again shut up all you silly naysayers as the lines form at its stores.

Mate, Apple hasn't shocked nor impressed with last couple of iMac, iPod... even MacBook reiterations; all small evolutionary upgrades to original design, which again in most cases wasn't much more than nice to look at.

I understand SJ managed to fine-tune some people mindset so that they rejoice in almost religious euphoria on his every showing, even if he'd just be showing new $100 beer bottle opener with Apple logo... but realistically, $2000 tablet wouldn't cover much more than Paris- Hilton-circle-of-friends market segment.