Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

1111213141517»

Comments

• Reply 321 of 328
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    [QUOTE=Quadra 610;1530188 The public knows what Apple represents, it's not for nothing that Apple commands ungodly mindshare.[/QUOTE]

For most of the "public", Apple represents the company whose computers they choose not to buy, their "ungodly mindshare" notwithstanding.

With few exceptions, Apple sells high-quality, high profit, niche products to a small but dedicated following of consumers. Their exceptions seem to be in the MP3 player market, which is dying, and in the content-download business, which seems to be doing very well.

There is nothing wrong with their business model, but please don't pretend that Apple has mainstream market penetration in any but a handful of areas.
  • Reply 322 of 328
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

For most of the "public", Apple represents the company whose computers they choose not to buy, their "ungodly mindshare" notwithstanding.

With few exceptions, Apple sells high-quality, high profit, niche products to a small but dedicated following of consumers. Their exceptions seem to be in the MP3 player market, which is dying, and in the content-download business, which seems to be doing very well.

There is nothing wrong with their business model, but please don't pretend that Apple has mainstream market penetration in any but a handful of areas.

As noted on this very site, a recent NPD study suggests that about 12% of US homes have Apple computers on the premises.

That's a minority platform, but it's hardly "niche."

I noticed you left out "handsets" in your estimation of Apple's fortunes, which is arguably there area of greatest success and growth in recent years.
  • Reply 323 of 328
    I do not own a Droid, but if I did and had an accident with the phone that resulted in damage, then I would argue that the "Pretty" ad implies that the phone is tougher than other phones and should not have been damaged by the accident. If it is scud missile fast then it should stand up to a five foot drop onto concrete. If it is able to rip saw through bananas then it should surely survive immersion in an ice chest full of beer or salt water at the beach.

A demo at the Verizon store should include a toughness test....

Happy Holidays
  • Reply 324 of 328
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applerunner View Post

I do not own a Droid, but if I did and had an accident with the phone that resulted in damage, then I would argue that the "Pretty" ad implies that the phone is tougher than other phones and should not have been damaged by the accident. If it is scud missile fast then it should stand up to a five foot drop onto concrete. If it is able to rip saw through bananas then it should surely survive immersion in an ice chest full of beer or salt water at the beach.

A demo at the Verizon store should include a toughness test....

Happy Holidays

Better to throw it against a wall in-store than doing it (inevitably) when you get home.
  • Reply 325 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

If Motorola has made an advertising campaign that puts Apple into a negative Gay perception then they have hit the 90% of the population that isn't Gay.

Are they all going to be receptive? No.

But the majority will. Again, I'll say as sad as it is, in this era, being Gay or having products that brand you in such a manner are not a positive perception that most will want to be affiliated with.

Yeah, but the 90% of the population that truly isn't gay, doesn't really care about the gays. It's just the 5% of the population that are closeted homosexuals posing as conservatives who make all the ruckus about being gay.

The other 5% are those gays who are perfectly happy with themselves. A toast to my brothers (and sisters)!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Palm Pixi

Motorola Karma

Nokia Surge

Pantech Breeze

Nokia Mural

BlackBerry Pearl

Pantech Reveal

HTC PURE

Samsung Sway

LG Glance

Nokia Intrigue with Pink Keypad

Verizon Razzle

LG Chocolate

Verizon Escapade

T-mobile myTouch

Motorola W490 - Heather Grape

Samsung Cumback

Motorola CLIQ

You really don't have any idea, do you?

Ha ha ha! Awesome response.

Really, people, there is so much gayness out there, it isn't even funny.
  • Reply 326 of 328
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Yeah, but the 90% of the population that truly isn't gay, doesn't really care about the gays. It's just the 5% of the population that are closeted homosexuals posing as conservatives who make all the ruckus about being gay.

You know, for a long time I resisted this theory because it seemed just too obvious and kinda glib.

But over the years it really does seem to be true.
  • Reply 327 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You know, for a long time I resisted this theory because it seemed just too obvious and kinda glib.

But over the years it really does seem to be true.

Here's a perfect example: "Therapist" Richard Cohen on Rachel Maddow's show:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_385057.html
  • Reply 328 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

ha ha ha ha ha!