Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks

Comments

• Reply 181 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Face it- this webisite has become a warped, self -masturbatory, member- stroking joke which has no basis in reality. Any unbiased words against any Apple producst are considered negative and not with the "program". So many good members have left for this very reason. Many have been censored and left. The global moderators have now become the Apple police. Pathetic.

I never looked at it that way. I'm new to forums, so I'm not sure about the "political" play that goes on.

I initially thought these forums were to be like "homebrew club" meetings where all the tech savvy and non tech savvy talk about code or help one another out with HW/SW issues, and stories like these, which the article praised how well the Magic Mouse was doing, would make all in the forum congradulate Apple and give CONSTRUCTIVE input as to how they can improve the mouse for a future revision.

I've become to realize that the Majority enjoy the bashing and teardown of Apple then to keep things in a positive manner.

I mean the vulgarity displayed towards people in here has caught me by surprise.
  • Reply 182 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I also absolutely despise that fake aluminum paint on the lower part of the magic mouse, this is very unapple design, and reminds me of tacky pc color, why don't they stick to all white like they should?

The bottom is solid aluminum. It is not painted plastic.
  • Reply 183 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Add middle click and the expose/dashboard functionality lost from the mighty mouse and it would do far better than double.

BetterTouchTool, which is free, adds that and more to the Magic Mouse.
  • Reply 184 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

What I find interesting is that you HAVE to be running 10.6.2 in order for the mouse to function.

Actually, it requires Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0. However, momentum scrolling only works with Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 185 of 202
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes and it was called the "Mighty Mouse"

A abortion of a mouse like I have never seen before.

My highly critical assessment and publicity/dissection photo's of that particular mouse may have drove Apple to create this new mouse.

Yes, I prod Apple with a pitchfork all the time.

drama queen
  • Reply 186 of 202

touche' !!!

every  and best buy store in my hood has been sold out since day one

this multi touch mouse will one day open up windows users eyes to 's unique user inter face

for now only apple can use it ..

my wireless mouse in call of duty rocks

my wireless key board is good for 9 months or so and then it fails i just bought my 4th one

i love it

it hates me

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

mac tripper you have become a troll \\every comment from your mouth like that relentless glare B S you did for months here .

your sick in the head dude . your seem smart and nice at times , yet you can't stop your anti mac venom cloaked in fan boy love

. did you ever THINK to join us here instead of crashing every topic with the sky is falling down shit ??

or are you ,,trying to join TS in cyber-waste land ???
  • Reply 187 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Dude I've had a crazy afternoon, and it didn't help hearing people complain about nonsense... I mean C'mon why use such strong words when you promote Apple by buying there products?

POS, CRAPPY, NEVER GET ITS RIGHT, STOP MAKING MICE?!? Like c'mon man, let us just appreciate our Apple.

I'll seriously stop, cause it seems like my comments are now being used as a negative thing.

Only a few people get it....... Where's the Love in this forum? Where's the Peace and Appreciation?

Apple doesn't make something you don't enjoy? Then be quite and move on, but don't say comments like what I posted above.

maybe your sig is too quiet ??:grumb:)::
  • Reply 188 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I get that you don't like much about Apple products, but you are fooling yourself if you think you are just "being critical in a good way". You position most rebuttals to your posts as "fanboy-ism" or people "worshipping Apple," because that makes your arguments seem as if they are reasoned when they so obviously are not.

You post some of the most opinionated and negative things to this forum and most of it doesn't seem to be based on anything but your own preferences. It's easy to call other people Apple worshipers or fans, but a lot harder to see your own biases isn't it?

Your comment about adding the two physical buttons is priceless in that regard. I bet you are unaware of the research behind Apple's decisions re: one button or two button mice, almost entirely. You phrase it as if it's an obvious objective fact that two buttons are better than one and imply without saying so that Apple just does this to be perverse or that there is no objective reason behind it.

In fact, almost every word you write on this forum is dripping with personal bias, yet *you* are the one that most often calls others names and infers that bias in others. Funny how that works.

you should have seen him when he was SCOTLAND

he was boorish and talked like

i dinna ......<<<fake star trek scottly accent >?>>

• Reply 189 of 202
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    If you own a MM, have you tried holding it like a TV Remote? Obviously you can't do anything with it but it feels great in your hands! Seeing a brighter future where I can navigate an AppleTV / Front Row with multitouch devices like the MM holds a lot of promise!
  • Reply 190 of 202
    Quote:

What I find interesting is that you HAVE to be running 10.6.2 in order for the mouse to function.

That's a lot of people running 10.6.2, and I have to wonder how many people have upgraded to 10.6.2, from say Leopard or Tiger, in order to use the shiny new mouse.

Apple's policy of forcing users to run the very latest OS release, in order to enjoy the latest peripherals, is obviously paying dividends.

Let's see. You change the OS so you can, in part, expand its functionality. Then you design or update an application or peripheral to take advantage of the advanced OS functionality.

Apple doesn't force anybody to do anything. Just like I am not forced to hang up a new calendar this Friday. As long as I remember to add a day, I could get along on this year's version, or dig up a 1999 calendar and remember to add 11 years to the date.

Do you remember saying this?

Quote:

It's funny. I come across business owners with this kind of mindset all the time. They seem to think that they don't have to replace their hardware like everyone else. And then they can't figure out how they can't turn a profit, and they're working longer hours than everyone else.

Hello?

Fine, let them muddle through with obsolete kit. They're exactly the kind of penny-pinching business owners who wouldn't buy Snow Leopard for $29 even if it was Universal. Fuck'em. I'm not being kept in the Stone Age because they're idiots.

• Reply 191 of 202
    Part of the issue is that some people can't stand to see Apple get away with doing so well with a product that actually has fewer features (notwithstanding its "killer" feature.) It's as if it's sacrilege. Like the MMA fighter who only knows how to wrestle but somehow gets you on the ground every time.
  • Reply 192 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The bottom is solid aluminum. It is not painted plastic.

Then surely the sides have got to be painted plastic, unless I mistook them too.
  • Reply 193 of 202
    Quote:

Then surely the sides have got to be painted plastic, unless I mistook them too.

There are no sides. There is a top and a bottom. The top is clear polycarbonate and the bottom is aluminum. It's actually quite lovely even when you look at it under a magnifying glass.
  • Reply 194 of 202
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

This should reveal all?
  • Reply 195 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Yeah I'm not a huge Fan of the mouse concept in general since laptops trackpads have evolved. Though I'm seriously considering a Top End iMac for Photography purposes & HD Video so it's nice to see this revolutionary device as a standard option.

I never understood why some pros or even home users use a mouse with a laptop

never considered using the mighty mouse with my laptop since it was horrendously uncomfortable, but will have to give magic mouse a shot...
  • Reply 196 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This should reveal all?

Well, it is indeed aluminum, good choice apple.

My bad.
  • Reply 197 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Been to the Apple store in Soho, Tekserve, and Digital Society, no Magic Mice to be had.

Guess you have to wait for them to restock, I'm camping out here - http://www.watchmyitems.com/?item=B002TLTGM6 and waiting for Amazon to restock. You might want to do that if you're really keen to get one and try it out for yourself
  • Reply 198 of 202
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

My point was, altho' obviously not stated clearly enough, was simply this: to not like something you have never tried is ,imo, the height of arrogance. Surely one should have some actual personal experience before deciding the worthiness of something, don't you think?

How about trying out Windows 7? Wouldn't it be arrogant to not give it a try? I think you're talking about someone that's had the mighty mouse, I don't think it's so simple as calling them arrogant. I think someone that's been burned by predecessor products can be justified in being wary of succeeding products. Especially given a bit of a track record, the hockey puck was the worst IMO - though probably great for kids. The no-button was a lot better but depending on your preferences, still irritating compared to the competition. Mighty Mouse was interesting, but a bit high maintenance, it harkened back to the days of pre-optical mice because the scroll ball eventually stops tracking unless it's fastidiously cleaned. It was a nice idea, but I think there may be a reason why no one else duplicated the scroll ball. If someone felt they were burned twice, then I think it's a bit much to say such skittishness to try a third time is arrogance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Face it- this webisite has become a warped, self -masturbatory, member- stroking joke which has no basis in reality. Any unbiased words against any Apple producst are considered negative and not with the "program". So many good members have left for this very reason. Many have been censored and left. The global moderators have now become the Apple police. Pathetic.

Sorry, but for the most part, you're wrong. We take action based on behavior, not opinions. It looks like you're whining because your regular account got banned because you were needlessly harping on your opinion, frankly, there was a general queasiness about the antics in question. Every thread about a certain product turned into a bitch fest rehashing the same argument week after week, which becomes thread crapping. And people on both sides of many of the arguments in question did get infractions, you might not notice infractions laid against others, because it takes a couple clicks to see them.

Besides, I've had many a dissenting opinion against certain Apple decisions (still do), and yet, somehow I was never given infractions or repremands. I try to stay sane about it, and voluntarily stepping away from the keyboard for a cooling off period.
  • Reply 199 of 202
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

IIt looks like you're whining because your regular account got banned because you were needlessly harping on your opinion, frankly, there was a general queasiness about the antics in question.

Wow! His first post in weeks and he comes back in high dudgeon even more cantankerous than when he left.
  • Reply 200 of 202
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I wouldn't have a problem in his original nick getting re-instated, as much as he has infuriated me in the past, it's already on my ignore list, and as always better the devil you know, instead of their offshoots. Just my two c.