Apple tablet set for Q2 launch with aluminum casing - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uberben View Post

But I'm scared.

Well, don't register then... oh - welcome to AI!
  • Reply 82 of 116
    h2ph2p Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Wonder if the tablet will follow the same progression as the iPhone: aluminum case 1st gen -> plastic case 2nd gen.

I'd be disappointed with a cold aluminum case. I'd have to buy some sort of skin right away. I'm sick of the feel of my MBPro. I immediately bought a red skin for the MB I bought for my wife... I'm going to join her. The cold metal is getting annoying (although of course I love the MBP).

I plan on buying at least one and perhaps two (if I can't stop myself)... assuming the iSlate (or whatever) will ACTUALLY be announced!
  • Reply 83 of 116
    Even when gone, TS has hijacked this thread...
  • Reply 84 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfergenson View Post

Everyone's been focusing on the lack of a useable Microsoft tablet and I agree wholeheartedly with the criticisms of those shown in the keynote but a third company seems to have an honest to gosh winner on its hands.

Has anyone else heard about the enTourage eDGe? Any thoughts? It looks, at first glance, like a really compelling product. It runs Android, has a wonderful form factor and costs less than $500. It's even got two screens, one large digital ink screen for reading written words and a second, smaller, conventional color screen for general purpose computing. They claim 16 hour battery life. If it had cellular internet connectivity, I'd be sold outright.

http://www.entourageedge.com/devices...rage-edge.html

monstrous bezels though
  • Reply 85 of 116
    First thanks to the people encouraging new posts - I finally jumped down the rabbit hole.

So as with many of you been giving lots of thought to the tablet and reading everything from Daring Fireball to here, etc.

Here are some of my thoughts (some are restatements of things I've read I agree with, some are perhaps my own - I've read so much I its all a blue) which I'm curious for feedback on. I did have a long post but I cut it down

In no particular order here are some predictions for thought and comment...

* there will be a native remote desktop feature to your other macs. Given the screen size it seems smart and I think this device should have more specific "halo" effect features for their regular OS X computers then even iphone or ipods have had.

* How they protect the screen from scratching seems much much more critical given the screensize vs. the small size of iphone. In many respects I'm most curious about this then other features. How are they going to do that beyond throwing gasoline on what already will be a hot carrying case market for this thing?

* There will be a more conventional keyboard solution unless they've engineered something as we've seen with possible patents that is just light years ahead of current software keyboards. The only question is if the keyboard is needed natively or as an add-on and that will be based on what percentage of the user base Apple's testing tells them NEED that to be highly satisfied. If the way we all use this doesn't (i.e. we use it more for browsing content then outright productivity) then maybe it's not a big deal. BUT if their testing shows robust productivity usage (i.e. memos, notes in class not the occasional phone number or milk'n'eggs list) then their will be some sort of keyboard solution. I for one want a system that enables me to type 1000 words at 40-50wpm or better. I type at 75-80 words per minute and I suspect many of you do too and I do a lot of >500 word pieces of typing. If I'm going to use something this big I want to type longer with it - at least I think so... In some ways I think the WPM and long-form typing issue is probably one of the most critical issues of this entire product. How it is shaped let alone solved will be perhaps one of its most breakthrough points.

* I think it's more likely its just Wifi unless Apple can somehow show carriers the load of a unlimited flat rate plan can work. At the same time I don't know if I want to spend another $400-600 on a rate plan for this machine + my iphone. Which bullet gets bit? The no 3G or flat Rate 3G that is deemed affordable - all the in-between solutions seem from my current vantage point - just too inelegant. The only other solution might be no 3G service - it's punted to the carriers who can race to the bottom on pricing but that also seems to me to be inelegant in terms of user experience.

* Games will once again be the big deal on this thing. The screen size and likely speed will be big deals and putting that real-estate to use for better interfaces and gaming will be so quickly responded to - it'll be quite amazing.

* Second Screen : I actually thing this has a lot of possibility and halo effect. If the screen size was more 7" then 10" then no. But if this thing is 10"/10.7" then why not a cradle system with miniport and the ability to extend my mbp screen at home. Nice halo effect and I would use it. I already use a second screen with my MBP to have my email over to the side while I work, etc. If it's not a big marginal cost (remote desktop variable cost is 0 since its software only) I'd hope they do it.

* Camera - I think it's focused on vidconf like laptops are. not sure they'd put one on the camera side unless they did the smaller sub 8" model. I do a decent amount of vidcon but not a LOT and I wonder how much this tablet improves vidcon uptake? Will be interesting.

* Native Apps - besides an ereader what other native apps do we get? It seems we might see some in-between apps that are more like fuller productivity apps then just on-the-go apps. Maybe a more iphoto like app then what iphone has, maybe something more robust for note-taking more like a wordprocessor then notepad. But not full fledge apps... What's the native applet differentiation from iPhone?

* Storage... SD Card slot? hmm... 64 or 32? I can't feel this out... Does it need more storage then a ipod because we're more likely to want to watch movies on it? Or do we just stream them via wifi from a service and not need more storage then what holds all our apps and several gigs of music.

* Stand... so I use my iphone a lot in bed to read - its small screen doesn't disturb my wife and its silent to type so it's perfect in the dark. Still I get tired holding it up to read. A 10" tablet won't be lighter. And reading it down on a table lying flat doesn't work. So some sort of stand system seems important. What do kindle owners do when they're not sitting in a chair lying it on their lap propped against a leg? Somehow the cover and the stand might be some sort of combined solution. If there is a stand what makes it problematic is that done wrong (and we know that isn't likely) it would be highly breakable. So whatever lets us prop this thing up as needed in key situations is going to be really sturdy.

Anyway that's what I got for now - be interested in comments. Obviously we'll soon all find out. The purpose of doing this is to think for myself where does this fit in to my needs let alone how successful this product will be for my apple stock

For myself I want a machine I can do extended reading on and within that context a bit more productive environment then my iphone offers. It would let me leave my Macbook behind more and as such reduce the wear and tear on that device (hmm wonder what that does for hardcore user upgrade cycles if it becomes a key behavior?) and I want an iphone/ipod touch like environment that will clearly have some enhanced gaming capabilities even from a larger resolution standpoint. Two player games on the same device flat on a table seem even more possible then iPhone.
  • Reply 86 of 116
    fatherfather Posts: 12member
    Settle down now everyone. Soon you will experience it.
  • Reply 87 of 116
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Does anyone else feel that at this point in 2010, we shouldn't even care this much about a new (and truly NOT revolutionary) product that is looming...

At this point, shouldn't the iPhone be wowing us more and more each day? I'm really disappointed by the slow slow slow development for the iPhone. I mean, significant development. Productive apps that integrate with other real world devices over Bluetooth or USB. Yes, it's been less than a year that these tools have been available, but iPhone developers should have had these ideas starting back in Jan 2007.

This is not even to mention the utter lack of development on Apple's part...

I don't see the tablet doing anything for software but hurting the progress of iPhone development. When the tablet lands, we're not going to see it take third party apps to a new level. No, we're going to see a catch up game being played for months.

The most exciting thing each day will be what 5 new iPhone apps that have been boring for 2 years are now available to be just as boring in 10.1inches!

I want to see a more rapid adoption of the iPhone into physical device ecosystems. I want my iPhone used for everything. So much so that at some point I consider using the Slate or the iPod touch as a secondary.
  • Reply 88 of 116
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Father View Post

Thank you Steve.
  • Reply 89 of 116
    ppieppie Posts: 14member
    I had a thought:

What if, apart from WiFi, the tablet uses tethering and at the time of introduction AT&T would have tethering on the iPhone available?

This prevents having the problem of needing both a GSM and CDMA chipset (or having 2 separate products), while allowing all users to choose what phone provider they want.

It would also prevent forcing an (expensive) subscription, although a telco could subsidize the tablet.

(At the same time, we will then see that the load of users actually using the Verizon data network in the same way that the AT&T network is used now by the iPhone, will result in the same problems that AT&T users are having now...)
  • Reply 90 of 116
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

But I'm scared.

run dude

run for the hills
  • Reply 91 of 116
    Personally, I'm hoping with a more.... luxurious to the hand sort of material, rather than cold aluminium. Maybe Apple will announce a way to precisely and affordably machine wood that properly dissipates heat and it will have a luxurious wood grain Mercedez steering wheel feel?
  • Reply 92 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Wonder if the tablet will follow the same progression as the iPhone: aluminum case 1st gen -> plastic case 2nd gen...

BTW, did teckstud get banned - haven't heard from him in a while? Kinda miss his acerbity.

Plastic is not stiff enough to keep the display from flexing. I'm guessing magnesium alloy for the premium lighter weight version. Magnesium is the new platinum for the gadget geeks
  • Reply 93 of 116
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotFarFTT View Post

* Stand... so I use my iphone a lot in bed to read - its small screen doesn't disturb my wife and its silent to type so it's perfect in the dark. Still I get tired holding it up to read.

Welcome.

Can I most heartily recommend this as a solution to the iPhone in bed issue:

http://joby.com/gorillamobile/3g/

It's primarily designed to improve iPhone photos (with their free app) but I've used it far more as a stand for watching videos.
  • Reply 94 of 116
    Quote:

But I'm scared.

I can relate to that. I lurked for several years before being game to join this place. I'd like to say, don't worry but..........

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!

• Reply 95 of 116
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I think its a given, I had always assumed it would be aluminum. I just don't see it being any other material given apples recent direction.

By recent, you must mean 8 years running.
  • Reply 96 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

By recent, you must mean 8 years running.

Yep.

Particularly unibody.
  • Reply 97 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Father View Post

You have to buy one to do that.
  • Reply 98 of 116
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

I can relate to that. I lurked for several years before being game to join this place. I'd like to say, don't worry but..........

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!

What the......

Girl, you do have a way of popping in unexpectedly.
  • Reply 99 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What the......

Girl, you do have a way of popping in unexpectedly.

Oh yeah, uberben, I forgot to say, watch that addabox guy. He's a real bastard.

I could say the same thing about you my dear adda. On my last visit to here or there, I asked about you and was told you hadn't been seen since some dust-up in PO.

FWIW, I think Ireland's right. Not because I think he really knows anything. Because I remember reading his posts after the iPhone was released. He must have been channeling the RDF or something because he clearly articulated "the vision", where they were going from there, and it just felt like he'd nailed it.

Actually, I don't think it's at all impossible to guess or work out what they're going to do - no rumor-foo required. On one level, Apple are very predictable - they won't do something just for the hell of it, there'll be well thought out reasons behind everything, it'll be over-priced, sacrifices will be made because of issues beyond the company's control, it'll likely involve a mutually beneficial offer to an industry in desperate need of a new business model, etc. etc.

It's trying to guess exactly how (and if) they manage to do this in a way that makes everybody go "Holy shit" when the iThing is finally unveiled that suckers us all in as we endeavor to figure out the right "Holy shit" equation. I recall reading Ireland's posts after the iPhone's release and thinking, "By Jove, I think you've got it." He may not end up being spot on but I definitely think he glimpsed the big picture.

These days, there's a better chance of someone making the right intelligent guess as to what's coming than there is of sifting the truth from all the fake rumors and intentional misinformation from Apple itself. And that's assuming there is a bona fide leak and there's some truth to be had amongst all the other chatter.

So just because I'm not posting, doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, adda. But you know how it is, there comes a time with AI when one returns to being a lurker but for quite different reasons. And I'd say we're both testament to just how irrestible the pull of the possible "Holy shit" moment is.

Reeling us in, adda. Uncle Steve's reeling us in again.
  • Reply 100 of 116
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

Oh yeah, uberben, I forgot to say, watch that addabox guy. He's a real bastard.

I could say the same thing about you my dear adda. On my last visit to here or there, I asked about you and was told you hadn't been seen since some dust-up in PO.

FWIW, I think Ireland's right. Not because I think he really knows anything. Because I remember reading his posts after the iPhone was released. He must have been channeling the RDF or something because he clearly articulated "the vision", where they were going from there, and it just felt like he'd nailed it.

Actually, I don't think it's at all impossible to guess or work out what they're going to do - no rumor-foo required. On one level, Apple are very predictable - they won't do something just for the hell of it, there'll be well thought out reasons behind everything, it'll be over-priced, sacrifices will be made because of issues beyond the company's control, it'll likely involve a mutually beneficial offer to an industry in desperate need of a new business model, etc. etc.

It's trying to guess exactly how (and if) they manage to do this in a way that makes everybody go "Holy shit" when the iThing is finally unveiled that suckers us all in as we endeavor to figure out the right "Holy shit" equation. I recall reading Ireland's posts after the iPhone's release and thinking, "By Jove, I think you've got it." He may not end up being spot on but I definitely think he glimpsed the big picture.

These days, there's a better chance of someone making the right intelligent guess as to what's coming than there is of sifting the truth from all the fake rumors and intentional misinformation from Apple itself. And that's assuming there is a bona fide leak and there's some truth to be had amongst all the other chatter.

So just because I'm not posting, doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, adda. But you know how it is, there comes a time with AI when one returns to being a lurker but for quite different reasons. And I'd say we're both testament to just how irrestible the pull of the possible "Holy shit" moment is.

Reeling us in, adda. Uncle Steve's reeling us in again.

Oooh, Chester is watching. Cool.

It's true, the chance of that "Holy Shit" moment is a lot of the fun of being an Apple head. I don't think too many tech companies afford their customers that chance. Does anybody expect MS to knock their socks off? I think their customers are just generally happy if they can continue to drag the vast carcass of their enterprise incrementally into the future.

Apple, now, Apple is that weird combination of infuriatingly conservative and steady as she goes and abrupt bet the farm lunges. I'm starting to suspect that a tablet would be more of a lunge than I figured.......