Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Steve Jobs appears to have fired off a tersely worded email reply to a user in Sweden who asked whether the WiFi-only iPad could be tethered to the iPhone: "No."

Jezper Söderlund of the Swedish website Slashat.se reports that he sent Apple's chief executive an email identifying himself as an Apple customer before adding, "I'm also awaiting the release of the iPad. However, I have one question: Will the wifi-only version somehow support tethering thru my iPhone?"

The full email headers Söderlund forwarded to AppleInsider appear to indicate that Jobs sent his one word reply at 8:30 AM from his iPhone.

Whether one can tether

Apple currently supports Bluetooth and USB (but not WiFi) tethering to share an iPhone's 3G mobile signal with another computer in iPhone 3.x software. However, enabling the feature requires approval from the carrier.

AT&T does not allow iPhone tethering in the US, nor do some other iPhone carriers in other regions. Well over a year ago in late 2008, AT&T executive Ralph De La Vega said that iPhone tethering was coming "soon."

Apple introduced the technical capacity to tether with the iPhone 3.0 firmware in mid 2009, but AT&T failed to deliver any progress in approving an iPhone tethering plan for its subscribers throughout 2009, and has yet to even provide an update on when that will happen.

Tethering the iPad to an iPhone

In order to use iPhone tethering from a Mac or PC, the computer must be able to connect to the iPhone via USB or Bluetooth, and must support a network connection over that interface.

While the iPad includes Bluetooth hardware, it is not yet known if it will support a network uplink connection over Bluetooth (known as a "Wireless iAP"). The iPhone OS does not currently enable this as a feature so it is doubtful the iPad will, particularly given Jobs flat out "no" answer to tethering. Bluetooth support in iPhone OS devices is also limited in many other respects.

Being able to access an iAP within the iPhone OS (a "reverse tether") would allow iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad users to connect to and share an iPhone or computer's Internet access via Bluetooth, rather than only over a mobile EDGE/3G network or over WiFi hotspot. That's not currently possible.

The iPhone OS also offers no support for "reverse tethering" over USB, shutting down the other avenue for connecting an iPad to an iPhone with tethering enabled. The iPhone OS also does not support acting as a gateway to share its mobile Internet access over WiFi to other computers, even though iPhone OS devices can all access any WiFi hotspot.

Apple has made no comments about the iPad's ability to tether its 3G access (allowing a computer to share the iPad's mobile access data plan), likely because it is not intended to do so. The data plan on the iPad is priced so much lower than most general purpose 3G dongle plans that it appears clear that AT&T does not expect users to be sharing it for general use from other computers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 335
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    This was not unexpected, but it is disappointing...

My last hope would be special iPad data pricing for iPhone customers already paying $30 a month for unlimited 3G data--it's not like I would be using both at the same time very often. Still, very doubtful.

Oh well...
  • Reply 2 of 335
    Steve Jobs FAIL!

sorry, was that "tersely worded"? ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 335
    vtrainvtrain Posts: 10member
    How is a one-word reply without an exclamation point "tersely worded"?
  • Reply 4 of 335
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

This was not unexpected, but it is disappointing...

My last hope would be special iPad data pricing for iPhone customers already paying $30 a month for unlimited 3G data--it's not like I would be using both at the same time very often. Still, very doubtful.

Oh well...

It was expected. Verizon charge additional $40 to turn the Pre Plus into a Wifi hotspot and $30 to tether most smartphone (5GB limit in all cases). AT&T offers are similar. Therefore, the iPad data plans seems a good deal. However, it sucks that everyone should suffer because few carriers don't want iPhone users to tether.
  • Reply 5 of 335
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VTrain View Post

terse |tərs|

adjective ( terser , tersest )

sparing in the use of words; abrupt
  • Reply 6 of 335
    So, if I got a data plan with my iPhone I can't share it with my (non-3G) iPad... splendid!! I'm sure Rogers, Bell and Telus up here in the Great White North are laughing their evil laughs in unison right about now.
  • Reply 7 of 335
    For those areas where tethering is possible, is it possible to attach the USB cable that comes from the iPhone to a usb wifi device that the iPad or any other wifi enabled device could then connect to?
  • Reply 8 of 335
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    This blows for you iphone users, especially if you're willing to pay extra for tethering.

With my Sprint TP2, all it takes is few registry hacks and Sprint can't track my tethering. Probably one of the main reasons I'm still with them. 1.5 - 2mbps dl speed, no 5gb cap. Not to brag or anything, just saying, every device has it's own perks. Too bad a company can't just wrap everything great about everything into one phone.
  • Reply 9 of 335
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I'm getting the WiFi+3G, this doesn't affect me.

If you want 3G get the WiFi+3G iPad, it is really simple.
  • Reply 10 of 335
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Get the 3G model. Done.
  • Reply 11 of 335
    What about jailbreaking the iPhone to create a local wifi hotspot for your iPad? I haven't jailbroken mine, but I'd do it just for this.
  • Reply 12 of 335
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    The 3g model requires a monthly plan. I don't understand why Jobs would care if you pay 30 a month for independent 3g on the ipad vs 30 extra a month on the phone bill...

ohtwell
  • Reply 13 of 335
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

The 3g model requires a monthly plan. I don't understand why Jobs would care if you pay 30 a month for independent 3g on the ipad vs 30 extra a month on the phone bill...

ohtwell

You've just answered your own question. There is no difference between $30 on separate plan or $30 tethering. However, tethering will drain both devices battery at the same time and the current iPad data plan requires no contract. So a separate plan is better choice if you are welling to pay. Most people who want tethering wants it because their carrier don't charge for it.

The 3G model does not require a contract. It is a month by month plan.
  • Reply 14 of 335
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Get the 3G model. Done.

Well put.

Why does everybody have to whine about it and am I considered a Kool-ade drinker if I say that?

Umm, where is Sweeden, anyway?
  • Reply 15 of 335
    rdunnrdunn Posts: 3member
    Question:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VTrain View Post

Answer:

Terse: Brief, concise, to the point; Abruptly or brusquely short
  • Reply 16 of 335
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Well put.

Why does everybody have to whine about it and am I considered a Kool-ade drinker if I say that?

Umm, where is Sweeden, anyway?

I'd say your drinking the kool-aid, why would I want to pay an extra 100 PLUS an extra 30 a month when one could utilize an unlimited data plan one pays for?

Lol this just fuels the jailbreak fire to be honest, and is one of the reasons it exists currently (to do what Apple won't let you)
  • Reply 17 of 335
    Steve Jobs also likes to sue companies who threaten his stranglehold on a market.

And he also just recently seems to enjoy releasing useless can-do-lots-of-things but really isn't-good-at-anything products for a PREMIUM price (i.e. the iPad). Unfortunately his disciples will buy it.

Oh yeah, and the other thing he really likes is the smell of his own farts.
  • Reply 18 of 335
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Steve Jobs to loyal customers:
  • Reply 19 of 335
    This is out of practicality, not anger. Was hoping for iPad tethering, not to be. For that matter iPhone tethering, not to be.

So...

iPhone 3g & 3gs Owner - Love it, motivation for having it: Laptop replacement capable of managing my data however small, entertaining to use.

I am buying the iPad WiFi + 3g. I have been metering my data for the past month while going flat out normal on 3g. Result 250-275MB of data used. Yearly average 255MB a month. Buying the $14.99 250MB data plan for it. Curbing my 3g data use a tad, start using WiFi, I never use it now (battery life). Stop carrying my MacBook everywhere. (Love it too) Will use Skype occasionally but not fooling myself that it is a phone.

Drumroll...

Dump my iPhone. Yes dump it, unless I can remove my $30 data plan. (not gonna happen) So dumping it, turning it into an iPod Touch so to speak and give it to my kids. Lucky kids. Yes I love it and will miss it. I simply cannot afford two data plans. The iPad will be a more suitable laptop replacement for me than the iPhone, my original reason for entry into the smartphone market. Went through Handspring, Palm, then iPhone.

Next. Go to MetroPCS get a $40 Unlimited Talk Text and Internet. Total $40 tax etc incl. Don't know if they suck but it's $40. Only need a phone, who cares how bad it is? Not me.

I will Tweet my experience through the process, follow me on Twitter @erik9999. Again I'm not bad mouthing Apple, they are one of my favorite companies. Since 1991 I have used their products and will continue to. My Message Pad 2100 still works as well as my Powerbook 100.

If I'm wrong, I will turn my iPhone 3gs back on, dump the data plan on the iPad, put it on the kitchen counter and be perfectly happy.
  • Reply 20 of 335
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Boooooo!

(That Is All)[/CENTER]