Apple has pre-sold "hundreds of thousands" of iPads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Safari! There you go, now you can get one

Between my 13" MBP and iPhone 3GS, both of which will likely be updated to new models when they appear, the window for me to see a real need for an iPad is very small.

So far, I think a great eReader for textbooks will have to be made and I'm not sure an app using ePub will do it since I'm looking for something that can replace actual textbooks not just mimic the content. I don't think the technology is here yet for what I want/need.

PS: The only other option is to get rid of the iPhone altogether and replace it with a 3G iPad since I don't use my phone as a phone much at all, I have Google Voice, and I am almost always with a book in my hand anyway. I'll have to see how this would work since it won't be pocketable for iPod use and what Apple comes up with new Mac notebooks, IPhone HW and iPhone OS updates
  • Reply 42 of 219
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

What's that old saying- "There's a sucker born every minute."

Steve Jobs is the PT Barnum of the 21st century.

iPad hasn't even been tested yet - what fools.

Good lord...has he been saving up aliases from 2007?
  • Reply 43 of 219
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

HP introduced their Slate before Apple. Which is far more powerful then the iPad.

Yet HP can only dream of selling 100,000 within two hours, or two years for that matter.
  • Reply 44 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

We sure are.

- Thankful for disposable income

I think a desktop OS designed around 13"+ displays with keyboards and mice/trackpads running on a 10" tablet with fingers for input is a prime example of "a fool and his money are soon parted adage"

Quote:

Yet HP can only dream of selling 100,000 within two hours, or two years for that matter.

I wonder how many tablets have been sold since tablets were first introduced. It seems like Apple will outsell all tablet sales with it's iPad in a very, very short timeframe. I think we'll see Android-based tablets as the most profitable competitors to the iPad, with MS making a tablet version of their Windows Phone 7 Series OS which HP will surely jump on. A desktop OS is just foolish for that device type and size [and use].
  • Reply 45 of 219
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

would have to be more powerful..its running windows 7....hell it probably needs an 8 core processor just to do mundane tasks.

shows you how efficiently apple can write software. The idea is to make them portable with 10 hours of usage. Lets see the HP slate even try to come close to that. especially with windows 7..and wasnt the slate supposed to be already released? or did that get delayed? where are the places you can pre-order one?

Indeed.

Software designed for the device, not the other way around.

Just look at iWork.

Some people just won't get it. But they will in time. This is the future of computing.
  • Reply 46 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think a desktop OS designed around 13" displays with keyboards and mice/trackpads running on a 10" tablet with fingers for input is a prime example of "a fool and his money are soon parted adage"

I wonder how many tablets have been sold since tablets were first introduced. It seems like Apple will outsell all tablet sells with it's iPad in a very, very short timeframe. I think we'll see Android-based tablets as the most profitable competitors to the iPad, with MS making a tablet version of their Windows Phone 7 Series OS which HP will surely jump on. A desktop OS is just foolish for that device type and size.

People seem angry by Apple's success. If I went out and purchased a Droid or a Slate without testing either, they would be perfectly happy. But somehow I'm a complete fool for buying an iPad.
  • Reply 47 of 219
    dean812dean812 Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

OK - let's get this out of the way:

The online investor guys are making up the numbers, their methodology is flawed, they are fan boys trying to drive the release of the iPad to success - because we all know the device is an abject failure.

The iPad suxxors majorly, it doesn't have:

42 UBS ports

a Blu-ray drive

removeable battery

a front-facing camera

a rear facing camera

a cell chip to make phone calls

GPS

support for 1080p

a real keyboard

a real processor

a real OS (just that stoopid pathetic mobile version of OSX)

enough memory

enough storage space

free unlimited 3G

release with Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Alltel, Cellular One, Blue Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, ad nauseam...

AND

there have been scads of tablet before the iPad

AND

all these early adopters are fanbois who spend too much money for glitzy tech that is just a toy, nobody besides them or the great unwashed masses of clueless consumers who don't worship at the altar of featuredom will buy this.

Yet another troll. Is your name Bill by any chance? The things you are saying about the almighty iPad (which by the way) is far ahead of its time! Also the same things that many people said about the iPhone's perceived short comings. And look at the millions of those that still sell every month! Go back and to your Windows fanboy forum, this is for the much more advanced computer user.
  • Reply 48 of 219
    dean812dean812 Posts: 32member
    Quote:

People seem angry by Apple's success. If I went out and purchased a Droid or a Slate without testing either, they would be perfectly happy. But somehow I'm a complete fool for buying an iPad.

Don't worry "we" are the trail blazers. The people who understand why this product (iPad) is extremely timely and has already shown HUGE pre-orders to prove it.
  • Reply 49 of 219
    When it was first released, I struggled to figure out why I should buy it.

In the intervening months, there have been many occasions when I have gone "an iPad right now would have been awesome!".

1) Surfing the net while watching TV (posting on sports forums while watching games, looking up channels, actor info, etc.)

2) Bedtime news reading. I love going through my rss feeds before sleeping, and doing it while laying on the bed would be awesome.

3) Reading ebooks.

4) Digital Photo Album

5) Recipe Display while cooking

I am still not sure if I can justify spending $500 for the above (all of which I can already achieve with my macbook/iphone, but not half as conveniently), but if the money was not an issue, it would be a no-brainer.
  • Reply 50 of 219
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    1.1 hundreds of thousands devices, yes?
  • Reply 51 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dean812 View Post

Yet another troll. Is your name Bill by any chance? The things you are saying about the almighty iPad (which by the way) is far ahead of its time! Also the same things that many people said about the iPhone's perceived short comings. And look at the millions of those that still sell every month! Go back and to your Windows fanboy forum, this is for the much more advanced computer user.

Somebody COMPLETELY missed the sarcasm, I think.
  • Reply 52 of 219
    neilwneilw Posts: 77member
    Quote:

The report appears to support an independent analysis by an Apple investor community, which estimated that 120,000 iPads were sold on the first day alone, with orders then settling at a pace of roughly 30,000 per day.

Correction: deagol has updated his estimate to 10,000 per day. Still pretty good for something almost no one has touched yet.
  • Reply 53 of 219
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Of course, they've tested it. Remember, you said it was nothing but a large iPod Touch. And how many Touches has Apple sold?

Don't you love it how they bash the iPad because it is "overpriced large iPod Touch" and then they come around and say "only fools will buy something they never tried"?
  • Reply 54 of 219
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Hundreds of thousands is still just a rounding error.
  • Reply 55 of 219
    Quote:

It's really odd posturing. Apple has a long history of building CE that people like with great customer service and a track record of well liked gadgets. They've also shown the HW, demoed the OS and 1st- and 3rd-party apps, while also releasing an SDK which has a simulator, and announced their partners for services like the iBookstore.

Yet that is a major risk to some here, yet they'll say that the still in development HP Slate or, worse, vapourware concepts like MS Courier are better choices. I honestly don't get it.

Quote:

He is using satire to state all the Anti-Apple talking points before others can state them as a method of diffusing the haters.
  • Reply 56 of 219
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

wasnt the slate supposed to be already released? or did that get delayed? where are the places you can pre-order one?

HP Slate is being launched later this year but on schedule:

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/33309...ting-with-iPad

One thing that Apple does right regardless of how they make the devices is make sure that content providers are pulled in. They aren't always totally successful but they seem to get stronger at it all the time and it benefits everyone in the industry.

The HP Slate will benefit from the iPad introduction and it would be wise of them to introduce the product after it to see how they tackle content distribution and try to offer the same experience but more value.

[quote=Postulant]Yet HP can only dream of selling 100,000 within two hours, or two years for that matter{/quote]

The top netbook manufacturers are shipping around 2 million units per quarter and the price is around $299. If the HP Slate spec is good, it will stand out well against other netbooks.
  • Reply 57 of 219
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

What's that old saying- "There's a sucker born every minute."

Steve Jobs is the PT Barnum of the 21st century.

iPad hasn't even been tested yet - what fools.

Shut up you F'n troll.

Unhappy that all previous Windows tablets have sucked badly in the marketplace?
  • Reply 58 of 219
    Quote:

. The people who understand why this product (iPad) is extremely timely and has already shown HUGE pre-orders to prove it.

No no no... Haven't you heard? When Apple has HUGE pre-orders, it's only because of fanboys, the Apple faithful, or (insert comment about early adopters). When, for example, the Droid has the same success, it's because of superior product development and because Apple is falling behind the competition.
  • Reply 59 of 219
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

HP introduced their Slate before Apple. Which is far more powerful then the iPad.

When is the magical Slate coming out.

The geeks just don't get it.

People don't want a full blown OS on a device like this.

The geeks like the holy crap idea of running an OS that was clearly not designed to run on a product like this.

Geek lust over reality I am afraid.

Go play with your netbook.
  • Reply 60 of 219
    Quote:

No one at this point has a clue what these confirmation numbers mean or how they are generated. Until Apple releases numbers this is isn't news at all.

You're the one without a clue. Probably because all you know about 'news' is from internet-type sources.

Outlets such as the WSJ or the NYT will not report stuff like this without major-league verification. Period. The editors will simply tell the reporters to go back and redo the story, or to trash it, if they can't meet certain sourcing standards.