Comments

• Reply 121 of 171
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Nice post iGrumble.
  • Reply 122 of 171
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'll take stupefying hypocrisy over incoherent, duplicitous bullshit.

My favourite is: Mr. Narayen calls accusations about Flash draining battery power "patently false."

I guess if something is "patently false" it's so obvious that you don't need to supply proof or even a reason to back up the claim as to do so would imply that it's not so patent. I think he could have diffused it with a comment about the upcoming Flash 10.1 uses HW acceleration which is useful in maintaining performance and using as little battery as possible.
  • Reply 123 of 171
    I just have a feeling a Photoshop Killer come in the mix with touch for ipad .

apple has been previewing them in iphoto and FCP
  • Reply 124 of 171
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Since I've installed Click2Flash, my browser crashes has gone down to zero. My Mac OSX freezes and crashes has gown down to zero. So yeah Mr Adobe CEO. You need to carry a bigger shovel around when making statements about how the crashes is caused by Mac OS X and Safari.
  • Reply 125 of 171
    Hilarious! The guy has played right in to Apple's hands by revealing that they are on the defensive and worried. The best thing he could have done was to say that the open letter was not worthy of comment. By trying to refute the content he as opened himself to ridicule.

When you look up the term open standard, it does not say "defacto standard." Creative Suite and office both run on both Mac and Windows, but I would hardly call them an open standard. There are some non-adobe flash players on the market, I wonder why Apple could not have created their own flash player and built it in to Safari.

Is PDF a standard now?

The reality is that it does not matter. Apple has chosen their path for now and we will have to see how things work out.
  • Reply 126 of 171
    get out of the sand box, get on with life
  • Reply 127 of 171
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    It's his lie, he can tell it however he wants.
  • Reply 128 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Is PDF a standard now?

Yes, it is. It snuck in when no-one was looking, apparently in 2008 according to the Wikipedia article. "Print as PDF" is a fairly common option in modern document-based applications, and the open source world has had the confusingly-licenced implementation "Ghostscript" for many years. Adobe has done far worse things than creating PDF, although I would agree that some of the features they add are rather odd and Acrobat, ahem, sorry, Adobe Reader is far from the best PDF implementation for the common case (just reading a normal WYSIWYG document).
  • Reply 129 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

The Adobe executive said he believe's Adobe's cross-platform stance is more beneficial to businesses and developers, allowing to make their software available on a range of devices rather than deciding on just one. "It doesn't benefit Apple, and that's why you see this reaction," he said.

bingo...we have a winner.

Go Adobe.

Sure more beneficial to businesses like everything else in western countries today.

I want a product most beneficial to me, the consumer.

Go Apple.

For video only sites, Flash isn't needed. (As Youtube, Vimeo, etc have show)

A huge number of OTHER sites that use flash aren't exactly suited to smaller mobile screens anyways. (Unless there is this huge zoom and scroll population I haven't noticed)

So the battle is really about Adobe maintaining a hold with Flash Media Server, not Flash per sa.

If Adobe was smart they'd be developing a HTML5/CSS based development and content server now.
  • Reply 130 of 171
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    It just slays me that Shantanu Narayen has allowed the discussion to come to: "Why does Flash suck?"

Forget Wired and CNET, this is now ABC material.

While this guy let his "evangelists" spew on their blogs, he's allowed someone else to frame the discourse and it will impact the public mindshare from this point forward -- with people who couldn't tell a plug-in from a power plug.

How is he even still CEO at Adobe?
  • Reply 131 of 171
    Ok we all know that S.J is a pain in the A&^ but we also know that when it comes to Tech he has basically been right on the mark. The Adobe CEO Where is his Credibility. Oh wait NONE. He should look at the big picture and get real facts, if he can. S.J was right on with his comments and I bet if you talked with others in the industry you would get a similar response.

Adobe has had it's head up it's tail end for some time in a lot of ways. As the Mobile age matures and less and less people use flash in development for apps for ALL mobile devices and we are not just talking apple here, then maybe they will come to see the light. or maybe a continued loss of market share for their apps. Would it not just be great if someone Like Apple stepped in and actually bought them oh how one could only wish for such a thing.
  • Reply 132 of 171
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

And yet they haven't ported the Adobe CS Suite to Linux.

There isn´t enough Linux market share to make it worthwhile.

Flash is available for Ubuntu Linux.

Apple makes rabid changes to their hardware and OS, expects third party developers to keep up.

Thing is Flash can´t run on the iPad, it´s not powerful enough. Smokescreen exactly.

Steve is making press using Flash as a target because he needs web sites to code versions for the iPad/touchscreen devices in addition to the Flash versions for regular computers.

Web sites still suck to navigate on the bigger screen iPad, ćause the finger as a mouse pointer is a new thing.

We are going to hear a lot more out of Steve, he´s on a mission. Sad thing, it´s looking like OS X is destined for the back burner.

hummm
  • Reply 133 of 171
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrumble View Post

Enough people have been drawn to the "browser as an application platform" concept over the years that Javascript has become not only quite efficient but fairly well-specified and reliably implemented also. CSS never really achieved all it could, and HTML is much as it always was, but together with Javascript it does make for quite reasonable applications.

Run the SunSpider benchmark in your browser (for this purpose it doesn't matter much if you bias the result by doing other things at the same time) and take note of some of the things it tested, and how quickly it did them. While you're doing that, why not look at the SproutCore demos as an example of a UI toolkit for javascript.

Among other things, SunSpider claims to test ray tracing and AES encryption. And gets them done (although it's not clear exactly what it does for each) in some tens of milliseconds. I'd say that puts it well within the realms of reasonable desktop application performance.

Javascript as a willing participant working with C/ObjC/C++/ObjC++/Java/ amongst other lesser deployed languages is what we are discussing.

Javascript isn't doing the heavy lifting. That's done by the big languages.
  • Reply 134 of 171
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So you want me to speculate on why an app which doesn't exist today might possibly get better in some hypothetical future time frame?

More importantly, when the app that doesn't exist today that might possibly get better in some hypothetical future time frame, what will Apple's excuse be then?

What if Steve Jobs is revealed to be a cannibal? what will Apple's excuse be then?

What if every iPad turns out to be loaded with Anthrax? what will Apple's excuse be then?

What if OS X was purchased from Satan for $5,000? what will Apple's excuse be then?
  • Reply 135 of 171
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:

More importantly, when the app that doesn't exist today that might possibly get better in some hypothetical future time frame, what will Apple's excuse be then?

What if Steve Jobs is revealed to be a cannibal? what will Apple's excuse be then?

What if every iPad turns out to be loaded with Anthrax? what will Apple's excuse be then?

What if OS X was purchased from Satan for $5,000? what will Apple's excuse be then?

All good and important questions! We must be vigilant lest Apple loose more evil on us.
  • Reply 136 of 171
    macyeahmacyeah Posts: 13member
  • Reply 137 of 171
    Apple has learned from its many mistakes. Adobe's Narayen has only achieved cost cutting profits but no new enhancements for the Mac. He also has pissed off his customer base with the a la MS authentication hassles and having the customers speak to India for help.

Additionally, one only has to look at Intuit to see how a third party can screw a Mac loyalist. We have had a shitty Quicken for multiple generations and from someone on Apple's board. Can you imagine the strangle hold a greedy and disinterested Adobe would have on Apple going forward.

I believe Steve is absolutely right. Let Narayen dance with the likes of Dell and Ballmer. When they start delivering quality in a customer friendly way I'll listen.
  • Reply 138 of 171
    gwklamgwklam Posts: 17member
    I know this may be an unreleased product, but there a new flash 10.1 rc2 GALA only for MAC OS X that enables hardware decoding now. Adobe is working as fast as they could. I would truly like to see html5 and flash work together, because i know they cant do they exact same things. people still use flash for cartoon animation(a bit weird but lol, thats what some companies like to use)

Flash Player Gala Preview Release

Unfortunately, it still uses 60% CPU on my macbook pro 3,1 on a youtube 1080p video .

sigh....darn it 8600gtm,

seems like hardware decoding only works on NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M or GeForce GT 330M
  • Reply 139 of 171
    sonuvasonuva Posts: 1member
    I am not sure why adobe is so protective of an software they only bought? flash, originally created by macromedia was snatched by adobe a few years back. back then adobe it self was tempted to abandoned flash, but for some reason they stuck to it. and now they fight for it like there is no tomorrow. why for god sake. just go with the flow. take the same people witch are working on flash and tell them to write the best html5 porting system, or what ever you'll call it. adobe is an great software company. PS, IND, AE, ... you are great. but why in gods name would you be so *bullheaded. And for the sake of argument, flash isn't the great in the first place. i hate flash based websites. they take for ever to load, even with an broadband connection. so, just give it up, do what "god" has told you and move on. ;-)
  • Reply 140 of 171
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

What if the Adobe Shills on AppleInsider come up with anything intelligent to say?

Never mind. I guess we can skip that one. There's no chance it's going to happen.