Apple developing Flash alternative named Gianduia

Comments

• Reply 141 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I find it interesting SJ even found it necessary to post his "thoughts", which are well known to be inaccurate. The very fact the he, and his followers continue to parrot them as fact, is proof positive that this whole thing stinks top down. Dislike flash all you like, but let's get real here.

Facts don't matter, only hero worship matters.

Vomiting that puddle of misinformation was a gamble he believes he can afford to play because he mistakes magazine covers for market share. Most of the coverage emanating from the infamous Reality Distortion Field is getting its play in the lay press, where the writers have no clue at all what he's talking about "so it must be smart!"

Apple + Hubris = 1,470,000 hits.
  • Reply 142 of 273
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

my god man. You want official? Look up who mike chambers is. It simply doesn't get, 'more official' than that... Here. Let me help since google is suddenly failing you. http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/about/

This is embarrassing guys, come on. Get it together if you're gonna hate flash, at least have some credible arguments rather than this lame crap you're spouting!

And show me where I said flash is currently available for mobile devices. Flash lite is however. Can you get it straight man!

ROTFLMAO. So he's a product manager for Adobe. He says that Adobe and Microsoft are 'working together' (whatever that means).

Meanwhile, there is an official press release from both Adobe and Microsoft saying that Flash will not appear on Windows Mobile 7, at least at launch. Official press releases are approved at levels much higher than 'product manager'.

Yet, somehow, you've managed to delude yourself into believing that 'we're working together' from a project manager means that Flash is available today on the platform - even in spite of all the obvious facts that it's not -- and official press releases from both companies.

Sorry, I can't help you. If you're that far divorced from reality, you really need professional help.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Facts don't matter, only hero worship matters.

Vomiting that puddle of misinformation was a gamble he believes he can afford to play because he mistakes magazine covers for market share. Most of the coverage emanating from the infamous Reality Distortion Field is getting its play in the lay press, where the writers have no clue at all what he's talking about "so it must be smart!"

Sadly, you Adobe shills are apparently incapable of rational discussion. Since when is 'vomiting that puddle of misinformation' supposed to be a rational rebuttal?

Heck, even the Microsoft trolls were better than you Adobe trolls.
  • Reply 143 of 273
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO. So he's a product manager for Adobe. He says that Adobe and Microsoft are 'working together' (whatever that means).

Meanwhile, there is an official press release from both Adobe and Microsoft saying that Flash will not appear on Windows Mobile 7, at least at launch. Official press releases are approved at levels much higher than 'product manager'.

Yet, somehow, you've managed to delude yourself into believing that 'we're working together' from a project manager means that Flash is available today on the platform - even in spite of all the obvious facts that it's not -- and official press releases from both companies.

Sorry, I can't help you. If you're that far divorced from reality, you really need professional help.

Sadly, you Adobe shills are apparently incapable of rational discussion. Since when is 'vomiting that puddle of misinformation' supposed to be a rational rebuttal?

Heck, even the Microsoft trolls were better than you Adobe trolls.

oh so you figured it out eh. Not some guy on a forum, but one of the top product managers for flash at adobe. Opooopsie eh! LOL. God you guys couldn't string 3 true sentences together if you tried can you. Well, fire up your printer, and run yerself off a certificate of genius!

I'm still awaiting solipsism's response to where I lied. You pair of apple fellers can't seem to stay on topic, nor get your storey straight! When I nail you with your inaccurate regurgitations, you all run around in circles and forget what you said in the first place.

Of course flash will not be on win7 at launch you smart smart fellow you! Any halfwit can figure this out really. But you said, that flash would only be on android, and you are wrong. It will roll out on every platform I listed throughout 2010, except the iphone. Which, at present day numbers could see flash on over 70% of all new smartphones.

I have maintained from the start. Adobe is lazy. Flash sucks for mobile in it's current form. There is a lot we developers dislike about adobe. But a massive number of interactive shops use flash (obviously...) and love the platform for development. Anyone who works on it hopes, that Adobe will get their act together, and put out a killer player for mobile. We had out doubts based on past offerings like flash lite, 10.1 had promise, but after the latest flurry of demonstrations many thousands of us have seen with our own two eyes, it's no longer vapourware as the ones who haven't seen squat mouth off about, it's very close to actual release, and we will begin to start seeing a rollout on each platform. We know it'll be on android, blacklberry, win7, and symbian. (not sure about webOS but suspect so).

I don't know how successful it will be, but odds are, it will be. But I guess we'll have to see and revisit this thread eh?

So far, I've seen nothing but wrong information, snide remarks that have no basis in fact, the inability to even read much less fathom the links provided it seems.

Come on, like -try- to counter with -something- credible k?
  • Reply 144 of 273
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE NAME

Freaking language bigots...
  • Reply 145 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I like that phrase, 'word salad.'

As Exhibit A, I recommend re-reading your own posts. The grammar, the punctuation, the vocabulary and the ideas are mostly an incomprehensible mess.

if you'd like to take on the subject matter head on, be my guest. Otherwise, you're just a hit and runner with nothing to bring to the table.
  • Reply 146 of 273
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Anybody with even a remote background in business knows that AppStore is an excellent value. In fact it has made it possible for many people to start successful businesses, be successful and even hire a few people.

That might be so but I doubt it would be a requirement. In any event don't underestimate the ability to push ads as a way for people to gain economically from their programming efforts. The breath of apps on app store is directly related to the ability to get that payoff for work put into the app even if it is free!

The percentage they take on iAds is the industry standard in advertising. You contract with AdMob or any other agency, that's what they take. You don't have to find the advertiser, design the ad, or anything, and you get 60% of the money. Good deal. Plus, no Flash crap.
  • Reply 147 of 273
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Suddenly Steve's insane attacks on Adobe begin to make sense: he wasn't concerned about Flash at all, other than as a competitor to his new product.

It's not a new product, it's a framework. Quite certainly, it will be open. Unlike Flash. I get the idea that many people will rejoice, not just Apple.

The prior moment this reminds me of is Microsoft and Apple's collaboration in TrueType and OpenType, to escape the onerous licensing that Adobe was charging when it had the font monopoly. And in this context, the only monopoly here is Adobe.
  • Reply 148 of 273
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:

I have said several times, I'm only interested in truth here. But the bunch of you have turned this into a us and them arguement full of holes, and have tried accusing me of having an agenda, and now 'shilling for adobe'. could hope for an interesting discussion on new emerging technologies like html5, what it means for things like flash, the wars going on, but it seems all you guys are interested in, I guess, is "shilling for apple"... rather than seeing through the sensationalism and the BS.

The fact is that Flash runs well on every platform except the Mac.

The fact is that Flash 10.1 is currently in Beta for mobile devices (except iDevices) and it appears to run well.

Beyond these facts, there is much opinion.
  • Reply 149 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don't add to Groovetube's lies and anti-Apple/pro-Adobe agenda. What do you define as "modern"?

Atom N450 is SOTA. Flash probably plays fine on the Diamondville chips too, but I don't have any first-hand experience. All I know is that Flash plays fine on my kid's Dell Netbook. Full disclosure: To play YouTube full screen at 450p, the other running apps need to be closed. If you do that, the video plays without stutters.

Quote:

Would you say a 6 month old netbook is still a modern computing device? I would. Since Flash 10.1 is only a Beta, using it to say "well if such and such's grandma wants to play Hulu videos on their netbook without stuttering all they have to do is install the Flash Beta for 10.1. Duh.".

All that Grandma needs to do is to to go to Hulu using any regular web browser. No beta necessary.

Quote:

Here is some evidence that Flash 10.0.x.x on Atom-based machine is not "working fine".

Believe whatever you prefer. Right here, right now, using a normal version of Firefox, Flash plays fine on a regular, cheap Netbook.
  • Reply 150 of 273
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synotic View Post

Not really ? He's right and this is a very frustrating articles for several reasons. First the headline implies that Apple is developing some kind of Flash alternative. This has nothing to do with Flash and isn't being developed for market. As the article states, this was shown almost a year ago. Gianduia is just the codename of one of the five or so internal JavaScript frameworks that Apple has created to support some of the applications they're building. Apple employs Cocoa developers, so it advantageous for them to have web frameworks that mimic Cocoa frameworks.

This is in the same class as Cappuccino and SproutCore and I've never heard of them being billed as Flash replacements. They're for building better Gmail-like apps, which Flash has never really played a big part in.

WebGL (based on OpenGL ES) is a very deep API and I don't expect most web developers will pick it up any time soon. It's not really suited to just including a few animations on a page but rather providing a full shader-based, graphics programming pipeline. It'll be helpful for doing things like scientific visualizations or certain kinds of games. For the kinds of animations Flash is mostly used for, most benchmarks show that Canvas+JavaScript is more than performant. And it'll only get faster.

Anyway, my point is that AI is trying to position this as some kind of Flash alternative possibly desktop tool people can use to create Flash-like content and that may be released later this year. It's not ? it's a rich application JavaScript framework they've used internally and might possibly be open sourced for others to use like SproutCore. Programming essentially in Objective-C patterns with Cocoa-like API's while writing JavaScript is not going to appeal to the Flash programming crowd.

Someone who finally knows what they're talking about.
  • Reply 151 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

The fact is that Flash 10.1 is currently in Beta for mobile devices (except iDevices) and it appears to run well.

Beyond these facts, there is much opinion.

nicely summed up.
  • Reply 152 of 273
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Here! Here! Gianduia sounds like something I need to visit my Dr. about...... and maybe get a shot of penicillin.

That was my first reaction to seeing the name as well. Marketing department gets the old Hag of Hammers award for really bad name.
  • Reply 153 of 273
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

if you'd like to take on the subject matter head on, be my guest. Otherwise, you're just a hit and runner with nothing to bring to the table.

Hey, you used the phrase. I didn't. Chill.

I am just enjoying watching you get into a tizzy defending what a lot of us think -- and your Adobe-shilling rants aren't going to change that -- is luddite software.

Pass the popcorn......
  • Reply 154 of 273
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

It's annoying to see the constant barrage of crap posted everywhere.

yes, but it would drop by about 90% if you would turn off your computer and stop posting here.

Quote:

That is only a 'fact' for Adobe shills.

In the real world, Flash sucks on Mac OS X and Linux. It runs adequately (some of the time) on Windows. It doesn't run at all on the rest of the platforms out there.

Quote:

What part of Beta don't you understand?

Not to mention that it's only in Beta for Android and only for systems with > 800 MHz A8. No Symbian. No WebOS. No Windows Mobile. No iPhoneOS. That's only a tiny, tiny fraction of mobile devices - even if they DO manage to get it working well.

But most reports are that it's choppy and slow even on Android.
  • Reply 155 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Not to mention that it's only in Beta for Android and only for systems with > 800 MHz A8. No Symbian. No WebOS. No Windows Mobile. No iPhoneOS. That's only a tiny, tiny fraction of mobile devices - even if they DO manage to get it working well.

And that is all without the Android version in play. There are rumours it will require v2.2 while other rumours say it will come with v2.2 but will be installable as a package on earlier versions of Android, but since this is still a Beta and Adobe is still struggling to figure out how to make it viable it's all really up in the air. In any regard, we still have BRAND NEW Android phones being sold with v1.x that will likely not v2.x. It's like saying Flash is coming to iPhone OS, but only to the iPad and only the 3G version; it's just a shitty design all around.

And while I think Adobe will get Flash 10.1 to stream 360p and 480p video with stuttering (because they have to or it will be a complete fail), 720p or greater is unlikely and that still doesn't address the battery usage issue. According to Groovetube and WilliamG Flash doesn't affect the battery anymore than HTML5 video. I can't wait for Flash 10.1 to finally land and these kids have to scramble to redefine their arguments once again.
  • Reply 156 of 273
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

What part of Beta don't you understand?

That's way too factual. Don't waste your breath. These guys don't (make that, won't) comprehend.
  • Reply 157 of 273
    Quote:

According to Groovetube and WilliamG Flash doesn't affect the battery anymore than HTML5 video.

I have no information on battery life vs. HTML 5 and have never offered an opinion on the subject.

However, I can't imagine that watching a 3 minute video once in a while will do much of anything to battery life.
  • Reply 158 of 273
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Atom N450 is SOTA. Flash probably plays fine on the Diamondville chips too, but I don't have any first-hand experience. All I know is that Flash plays fine on my kid's Dell Netbook. Full disclosure: To play YouTube full screen at 450p, the other running apps need to be closed. If you do that, the video plays without stutters.

The very example you gave is Flash not running so well. It plays full screen if it gets to have all system resources to itself.

Quote:

From what I've seen so far is Flash playing one video clip, on one website, on one phone. That is not nearly representative of all Flash video, on every website, on every phone.

Quote:

Believe whatever you prefer. Right here, right now, using a normal version of Firefox, Flash plays fine on a regular, cheap Netbook.

The only problem with this blanket statement is that Flash video is so varied. Entirely different resolutions and bit rates. Can you say a 720P Flash video plays with no problem on a cheap netbook?

We know that 720P H.264 plays with no problem on the iPad.
  • Reply 159 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

From what I've seen so far is Flash playing one video clip, on one website, on one phone. That is not nearly representative of all Flash video, on every website, on every phone.

I'm not sure which one you've seen, but this might be number two.
    This blog attempts to make excuses as to why the battery life dropped by 25% in the 3 minute video. What's so great about this blog are the excuses as to why they didn't go full screen with the video (they wanted to show the battery stats on screen in realtime, not at the end of the test), why the video looks choppy (it's the compression, not their fault), and that 3 hours of Flash video with a low-bitrate in 1/4 of the display using HW acceleration is fantastic. They also oddly use 199Mbits to state the video size, not MBytes, which would only less than 24.8MB for a 17 minute video. That's under 200Kbps. For video!

I'd say this shows Adobe has come a long way with Flash — and that's great, in and of itself— but they are so far behind being able to compete with with real world option that they are just kidding themselves by trying. What they should be doing is demonstrating that it's a good option to have for the occasional sites you go to that require Flash and what they've done to make mouse and keyboard inputs work just fine with stubby fingers.

Quote:

The only problem with this blanket statement is that Flash video is so varied. Entirely different resolutions and bit rates. Can you say a 720P Flash video plays with no problem on a cheap netbook?

We know that 720P H.264 plays with no problem on the iPad.

That is a key point. All these qualifiers and excuses for Flash. I can't be walking my mom through all these issues saying that she needs to see if the source file in H.264 for HW acceleration, what the baseline it is, what the bit rate is, etc. It's silly on every level. I know what iPhone OS will do and independent testing shows that Apple's numbers are honest and straightforward.

BTW, I've had two netbooks and neither could could play Hulu video in 480p fullscreen without stuttering using Flash 10.0.x.x. I love his, if you shut down every other app it's fine and lack of data on the battery life. I can play HTML5 video full screen just fine in 480p with other apps open. Battery is alway shit with video, but Flash just killed it a fraction of the time.
  • Reply 160 of 273
    abrahamabraham Posts: 1member
    [QUOTE=Dick Applebaum;1628472]No, actually, they should leave that for Adobe (for at least a year), then, if still no solution...

There already is Freeway (Softpress). It is a mature application. If you like productivity, you will like Freeway.