Every week Apple doesn't act on iPhone 4 antenna could cost $200M

16791112

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 227
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post


    If it were a reception issue, covering it up with a bumper would not correct it, it is an interference issue caused by a signal short with the WiFI antenna.



    Yes, it's attenuation of the signal when touching the lower left corner. It's a design flaw, because that spot is commonly covered by people when they naturally hold the phone. Which causes the reception issue. That is why I doubt software will fix the issue, but it's possible. But Apple's statement said the software fix was only changing the display bars. Not trying to negate the issue of touching the lower left cornet.
  • Reply 162 of 227
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,064member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post


    And Apple has already identified the software issue, and is now perfecting the fix. They have told us this. It is not a matter of speculation.



    Show us where Apple says this will fix the death grip problem.
  • Reply 163 of 227
    ktappektappe Posts: 808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post


    I'm sure the data is available to a proper technician, like Apple's Geniuses. There is no need for any end user to see Apple's data.



    Please stop posting. Every one of your posts is a vapid Apple defense that makes incorrect claims with no backing data. Apple is not a religion and it is time for you to stop worshipping.
  • Reply 164 of 227
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    I think it was pretty clear, tekstud.



    Uhhh, you need to stop making assumptions. Ski1 is the only user I have used on this forum. Just because you don't like my valid posts, is not reason to post wild accusations. You are the troll.
  • Reply 165 of 227
    The AppleInsider report talks about Consumer Reports performing iPhone 4 testing inside a "radio frequency isolation chamber". But: the video on the CR's website does not show any such chamber: the testing we could see was in an old test bench lab, with metal electrical conduit on the walls, metal shelving, etc. Further, the testing we saw on their Rohdes & Schwarz test equipment was for power, not reception. While I know from painful experience that the reception problem and dropped calls are very real, we don't know exactly what CR tested - and they didn't take advantage of their website to explain their testing in any way, as is required in scientific procedures. (This is why professional testing companies look down on CR.)
  • Reply 166 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post


    Yes, it's attenuation of the signal when touching the lower left corner. It's a design flaw, because that spot is commonly covered by people when they naturally hold the phone. Which causes the reception issue. That is why I doubt software will fix the issue, but it's possible. But Apple's statement said the software fix was only changing the display bars. Not trying to negate the issue of touching the lower left cornet.



    If it were a design flaw then it would affect ALL of the iPhone 4s, It is not affecting all of them, Yes I agree a software fix won't fix this, my theory is a manufacturing defect and the appropriate amount of coating was not applied to the antenna to prevent the attenuation. I also have a theory that body chemistry may play a part in this, a reaction with the coating that is there. I know a few people that cannot wear anything with a battery because their body will kill the battery. It's weird, but explainable.
  • Reply 167 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post


    We can only hope. But those who are claiming that Apple has said they are releasing a fix for the dropped call issue, they are mistaken. They have said no such thing.



    If they are working on that "additional fix" aas you suggest, and if they slip it in under the radar and without comment or admission that the problem really ever existed, well, that's a dishonest tact that I wouldn't have expected from Apple.



    Well...yeah... mås o menos.



    Consider:



    -- this is a supercharged atmosphere

    -- anything Apple says may have financial, legal, political and regulatory ramifications.

    -- If Apple (or anyone) finds a mistake, they don't need to admit every mistake

    -- like it or not there are people and organizations that have a vested interest in Apple failing



    I suspect that Apple is using the "bars display" admission to buy some time, 2-4 weeks, to do a more thorough examination of other, related, issues-- that have, since, been reported. (There was very little press about dropped calls or the proximity detector when the bars issue was being hyped).



    By saying as little as possible: "the bars issue", Apple gives itself room to identify (and possibly resolve) other issues.



    On the contrary, if every time an issue were raised, Apple responded with a statement-- this would lead to a never-ending cycle. (Just what some people want).



    I suspect that Apple will handle this in a very professional way, if there is a software fix to issues that Apple has not, yet, addressed publicly, e.g. dropped calls and the proximity detector.





    They might release a fix and say something like this:



    While determining the cause and solution for the improper bars display, we took the opportunity to do a thorough review of the telephony functions of the iPhone 4. We made several improvements to allow the iPhone 4 to use the strongest signal to enhance the user's "phone" experience.







    That's typical corporate PR-speak for "we found some other issues and fixed them!".



    This pacifies most users and investors, while keeping the politicians, lawyers and regulators at bay!



    Nothing will satisfy those with a vested interest in Apple Failing!



    .
  • Reply 168 of 227
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post


    Uhhh, you need to stop making assumptions. Ski1 is the only user I have used on this forum. Just because you don't like my valid posts, is not reason to post wild accusations. You are the troll.



    Well, no one expects you will admit to it.
  • Reply 169 of 227
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post


    If it were a design flaw then it would affect ALL of the iPhone 4s, It is not affecting all of them, Yes I agree a software fix won't fix this, my theory is a manufacturing defect and the appropriate amount of coating was not applied to the antenna to prevent the attenuation. I also have a theory that body chemistry may play a part in this, a reaction with the coating that is there. I know a few people that cannot wear anything with a battery because their body will kill the battery. It's weird, but explainable.



    My opinion is that it does affect all iPhone 4s. But it might only affect one of the two frequency bands AT&T uses (850 or 1900). So only people using the affected frequency band, and with a signal less then optimal, will see the issue.
  • Reply 170 of 227
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Well, no one expects you will admit to it.



    Why not admit you are the troll ? And my valid posts rub you the wrong way. Sorry you can't deal with it.
  • Reply 171 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post


    My opinion is that it does affect all iPhone 4s. But it might only affect one of the two frequency bands AT&T uses (850 or 1900). So only people using the affected frequency band, and with a single less then optimal, will see the issue.



    That's a possibility as well. Are we getting more reports of the issue in certain areas?
  • Reply 172 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Well...yeah... mås o menos.



    Consider:



    -- this is a supercharged atmosphere

    -- anything Apple says may have financial, legal, political and regulatory ramifications.

    -- If Apple (or anyone) finds a mistake, they don't need to admit every mistake

    -- like it or not there are people and organizations that have a vested interest in Apple failing



    I suspect that Apple is using the "bars display" admission to buy some time, 2-4 weeks, to do a more thorough examination of other, related, issues-- that have, since, been reported. (There was very little press about dropped calls or the proximity detector when the bars issue was being hyped).



    By saying as little as possible: "the bars issue", Apple gives itself room to identify (and possibly resolve) other issues.



    On the contrary, if every time an issue were raised, Apple responded with a statement-- this would lead to a never-ending cycle. (Just what some people want).



    I suspect that Apple will handle this in a very professional way, if there is a software fix to issues that Apple has not, yet, addressed publicly, e.g. dropped calls and the proximity detector.





    They might release a fix and say something like this:



    While determining the cause and solution for the improper bars display, we took the opportunity to do a thorough review of the telephony functions of the iPhone 4. We made several improvements to allow the iPhone 4 to use the strongest signal to enhance the user's "phone" experience.







    That's typical corporate PR-speak for "we found some other issues and fixed them!".



    This pacifies most users and investors, while keeping the politicians, lawyers and regulators at bay!



    Nothing will satisfy those with a vested interest in Apple Failing!



    .



    I liked this sane and rational reply
  • Reply 173 of 227
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post


    That's a possibility as well. Are we getting more reports of the issue in certain areas?



    I think only Apple and AT&T has that data. And some areas use both frequency bands.
  • Reply 174 of 227
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post


    Why not admit you are the troll ? And my valid posts rub you the wrong way. Sorry you can't deal with it.



    Should I just ignore your posts?
  • Reply 175 of 227
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Should I just ignore your posts?



    I don't care what you do. I have no problem debating you with valid points. That's what this forum is all about. But, don't be a troll and make accusations that aren't true about me.
  • Reply 176 of 227
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,064member
    Bullsh*t is bullsh*t, no matter who says it.

    Get a job people, or get back to work.
  • Reply 177 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post


    I think only Apple and AT&T has that data. And some areas use both frequency bands.



    It'll be interesting to see the real issue, I'm going to stick with my 3GS (I have two of them) and the iOS4 is great on them, you can still love Apple and not have to own the latest stuff from them. I've done that for years, long enough to see missteps here and there, and long enough to know Apple is not ignoring the issue, they will take care of it just as they took care of the Titanium PowerBook G4 battery issues on the first generation...etc. They don't like to get public with these issues until they have a fix ready to implement, that is just how they've always done it.
  • Reply 178 of 227
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post


    Field testing is fine, it's a good thing to do. But, any RF Engineer knows that touching an antenna is NEVER a good thing - it introduces parasitical resistance (you can work with that) and a 10-40 pF capacitance (Very Bad). The capacitance issue is what will de-tune your antenna. This is why adding electical tape really has a minimal impact - you need distance between the antenna and your body - just a few millimeters is all it takes.



    Apple opted for cosmetics over RF Antenna design. This is an intentional design flaw. A concesssion was made for function vs. pretty. It was a poor decision. You have probably seen the Diagnostics Toolbox in the earlier OS. Why was this removed? They had the software, and they intentionally removed it .... why?



    Consider, for the first time ever ..... ever! Apple made an accessory for the iPhone, and what an amazing coincidence that the product doesn't work well without this accessory!! Why, it's almost beyond belief.



    Well i find it difficult to argue with your point, coincidence i don't think so , although being a so called apple fanboy i would dearly like to think otherwise,..



    I am still holding out , maybe foolishly, but still waiting for Apple to magically sort this out with a software fix,..
  • Reply 179 of 227
    kay_bobokay_bobo Posts: 13member
    BS....get on amazon.com get a case for 5bucks or return it!!! i'm tired of all this BS...only in America!!!!
  • Reply 180 of 227
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post


    Show us where Apple says this will fix the death grip problem.



    Apple never said that software will fix the 'desth grip' problem. Apple has stated that you should hold the phone differently and/or get a case if it bothers you.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post


    If it were a design flaw then it would affect ALL of the iPhone 4s,



    I really wish people would stop re-stating fallacies. Something doesn't become true if repeated 10 million times (although the Android fanboys here are making a valiant effort).



    It is possible to have a design flaw that only affects some people. For example, some of the earlier allegations were that the iphone 'flaw' affects left-handed people more than right handed. Then, that was modified to say that it affects those who hold the phone in their left hand. If that were true, the 'design flaw' would not affect people who held the phone in their right hand, so a 'design flaw' would not necessarily affect everyone.
Sign In or Register to comment.