RIM, Nokia respond to Apple's "Antennagate" press conference

Comments

• Reply 461 of 547
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You are a troll because of your incessant lies - not because of your side.

Please produce a list of these "lies" you talk of?
  • Reply 462 of 547
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

... No I don't have an iPhone 4, but I am contemplating it. I update my 3GS to 4.0.1 last night and my signal is now three instead of five. Now that it's more 'accurate' it would appear I now live in an area where the signal could be affected negatively by the phenomenon: the 'death touch' you might more accurately say.

Based on the information in the recent AnandTech article regarding the new bar mappings it would seem that 3 bars would drop to 1-2 bars, depending on the actual signal strength:

Quote:

The result is that the worst case drop of 24 dBm no longer makes all the signal bars disappear, but rather two.

• Reply 463 of 547
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Oh, looks like you're back on duty, now what day of the week is it?
  • Reply 464 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

50% of 0 is still 0.

But in my case I currently own four macs, so that would be 50% of 4, making 2 failures. I have also own a second hand performa, and a second hand Motorola StarMax

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

People like you, that make claims like this - "I've been a Mac user since 19__, and Apple sucks" -- just don't have any credibility. You either don't own and maybe never have owned anything sold by Apple, are counting 15 year old systems in your numbers, or are completely irrational. I wouldn't keep buying Macs if 50% of them failed. No one else would either. Why would they. So it's not believable that you are a Mac owner with a 50% failure rate, and keep buying Apple hardware, and do nothing but come on here and engage in Apple bashing. Basic credibility gap.

People like me? Ha, you are getting funny now. The oldest Mac I have is 5 years old. The 2nd and the 4th have failed, and I haven't purchased any more since the last one died.
  • Reply 465 of 547
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It wouldn't surprise me if they kept this design for a couple of cycles - it's really beautiful. After checking some of their recent patents, I'm expecting solar panels, maybe the same camera on the front as on the rear, a new Bluetooth radio, and a 5 ghz capable wifi radio.

I'm already looking forward to iP5 - it just keeps getting better and better.

Now that they have a glass back, it seems to me they have positioned themselves for a solar panel addition. This may be the reason why they decided to push the Bumper protection over a full case protection.

The same camera on the front as on the back seems unlikely to me, especially considering the cost, size and usage design of the front-facing camera. I think the idea of BT 4.0 makes sense, maybe 802.11n @5Ghz chips will be ready.

What I?d most like to see is all new Macs using USB3.0 and the iDevices of that year (sans iPod Shuffle) with faster data transfer utilizing USB3.0 if they continue with cooper or a new ?iPod Dock Connector? that can use optical and cooper, for power and legacy data.

And of course some basic advancements in speed and power efficiency across the board.
  • Reply 466 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ggbrigette View Post

Don't bother answering because I have put you on ignore as I really no longer believe anything you say.

Then why did you bother to post in the first place? You can believe what you like I don't care, I know what the truth is, I know what my personal experiences are.
  • Reply 467 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

i bet jfanning is one of those jealous Android users who cant stand the fact that their phones are junk.

I have told people here tonnes of times, I don't own an Android based phone, I own a Nokia E65, which is around three years old.
  • Reply 468 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Does anyone actually buy your baloney?

No more than believe your baloney.
  • Reply 469 of 547
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Lets get back to the iPhone and its unparalleled success. I think Chuck Norris has met his match.

Seriously, the iPhone has pimp slapped everyone from the Palm Pre to the NY Times.
  • Reply 470 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I asked the OP for some citations, links... he did not respond to that request, but continued to blather whatever pops into his mind.

It is the middle of the day here, some people actually have to go out during the day, I didn't continue to blather on like you claim.
  • Reply 471 of 547
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

No more than believe your baloney.

Except mine is actually supported by facts.

You're just pulling things out of the air. LIke you've been doing the entire time in this thread.
  • Reply 472 of 547
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

it was never ?inaccruate?. The only way the bars could be inaccurate is for more bars to represent less signal strength than less bars and vice versa.

On a relative scale, yes. I'm not going to labour the point but I think you're splitting hairs. My iPhone now reports that I am getting somewhere in the middle of the best and worst signal signal. Previously, it was reporting optimum signal.

If I am to follow this new reading then the death touch could conceivably affect me, given my preference for naked phones, being left handed and holding the phone in such a way that the death point is touched.

I am truly surprised by rhetoric which implores me to hold the phone another way. Why should you have to hold a phone in a particular manner for it to work as a phone (There's no need to try address these points because I've read all the to-ing and fro-ing on the matter and frankly, it gets painful).

Quote:

Hopefully we?ll get a standard by which the bars have to be stated or a complete removal of the bars altogether because right now they are whatever developer wishes them to represent.

From what I have read there is also a qualitative aspect as well and quantitative one which makes it difficult to be truly agnostic in reporting signal strength. I'll leave it to the RF Engineers to comment on that.

All I know is that until everything becomes clear, Apple isn't getting $1000 from me. OTOH, does something like this ameliorate the issue? http://www.bestskinsever.com/iphone-4-skin. I use something like this on my present phone.
  • Reply 473 of 547
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We could talk about the next iPhone 4 killer, but Apple won?t release it until next Summer.

Seriously, do you think they?ll keep the same physical design for 2 cycles, like they did with the 3G and 3GS despite the major internal changes so you don?t have to get new accessories as often or wait for months after each new release for accessories to hit the market?

Quote:

It wouldn't surprise me if they kept this design for a couple of cycles - it's really beautiful. After checking some of their recent patents, I'm expecting solar panels, maybe the same camera on the front as on the rear, a new Bluetooth radio, and a 5 ghz capable wifi radio.

I think they will keep the external antenna, but move the "3G Spot" to a more protected place (crevice? crotch?) Seriously, the exoskeleton/antenna is a major breakthrough-- they just need to get it right. You will see exoskeletons in many CE devices,

Then, some NFC/RFID awareness goodies, where we can meander through life bumping and exchanging data. I'd like to bump the POST at the supermarket, etc., pay my bill and get a detail receipt that goes into my budget program-- same at the gas station, doctors office (senior care facility), meetings...

Oddly, I think that the traditional OSes will evolve to be more like the Mobile OSes-- get in, do your thing get out (for the majority of users).

I expect Apple to have a HyperCard-like app that runs on the iPhone/iPad and allows users to create useful, simple custom apps.

Finally, I expect the iPad and iPhone to be considered as Siamese twins (Mutt and Jeff) who separated at birth (point of purchase) are reconciled in later life (1-2 months) to demonstrate synergy.

Synergy, is what it is really all about!

• Reply 474 of 547
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Customer service quality, and engineering quality are two different things. If somethings breaks, and it is fixed well, and the customer is handled nicely they will give a higher customer service score.

Here is one report from late last year, maybe they should have it referenced by retail price.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/l...-win-hp-fails/

One, you are compare dissimilar things.

Two, you ignore that this data from SquareTrade.

Three, you ignore that fact that Apple is in the top ranking and has "better-than-average performance” than the overall total and total for premium notebooks.

Four, you didn’t use any critical thinking in determining why one would use SquareTrade over AppleCare or if Mac longevity over non-Mac PCs is a contributing factor as to why a 2 or 3 year PC might not be "fixed” as often as a Mac.

Quote:

Exhibit A.

Case closed!
  • Reply 475 of 547
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/searc...earchid=354792
  • Reply 476 of 547
    Quote:

I want them to keep it if possible - just get the antenna to work - I'm sure a covering like the Zagg strip for the sides could be used if there isn't a coating or metallurgical solution.

The antenna on the outside gives apple room for more cool stuff on the inside
  • Reply 477 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

On a relative scale, yes. I'm not going to labour the point but I think you're splitting hairs. My iPhone now reports that I am getting somewhere in the middle of the best and worst signal signal. Previously, it was reporting optimum signal.

If I am to follow this new reading then the death touch could conceivably affect me, given my preference for naked phones, being left handed and holding the phone in such a way that the death point is touched.

I am truly surprised by rhetoric which implores me to hold the phone another way. Why should you have to hold a phone in a particular manner for it to work as a phone (There's no need to try address these points because I've read all the to-ing and fro-ing on the matter and frankly, it gets painful).

From what I have read there is also a qualitative aspect as well and quantitative one which makes it difficult to be truly agnostic in reporting signal strength. I'll leave it to the RF Engineers to comment on that.

All I know is that until everything becomes clear, Apple isn't getting $1000 from me. OTOH, does something like this ameliorate the issue? http://www.bestskinsever.com/iphone-4-skin. I use something like this on my present phone.

try this http://www.zagg.com/iphone-4-antenna-fix.php
  • Reply 478 of 547
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Customer service quality, and engineering quality are two different things. If somethings breaks, and it is fixed well, and the customer is handled nicely they will give a higher customer service score.

Here is one report from late last year, maybe they should have it referenced by retail price.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/l...-win-hp-fails/

And that's the 'evidence' that's supposed to support your 'Apple has terrible quality' claim?

Let's see. The range is 15.6% to 25.6% defects. Apple is at 17.4%. So, even on the surface, it doesn't support your claim.

When you dig into it a bit further, your claim is even more ludicrous:

- 3 vendors had better numbers than Apple, 5 had worse

- There isn't enough data to do a reasonable statistical analysis, but we know that there are 30,000 computers total spread out among 9 manufacturers, or about 3,300 per manufacturer (on average). That puts the error margins at around 2-3%, so within the error limits, Apple is as good as the best on this study.

- Most Apple customers who buy a warranty would buy an AppleCare warranty (I didn't even know that Square Trade offered Mac warranties), so the number of Mac machines in the sample is probably even smaller, increasing the error figures

- This study measures warranty returns. Now, if you have a $300 Asus netbook break after a year or a $3,000 Apple MacBook Pro, which one would you take in for warranty service? Clearly, the percentage of warranty returns does not measure the percentage of defects.

- This is just one study - and a questionable one, at that (see above). Meanwhile, there are many, many other studies which put Apple right at the top of the list - Consumer Reports, PC World, PC Magazine, and others.

Leave it to you to present a bogus study - which doesn't even say what you're claiming, anyway.

Of course, you'll simply ignore that and continue to pretend that you have some evidence that Apple quality is terrible. You've never met a fact that you couldn't ignore.
  • Reply 479 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think they will keep the external antenna, but move the "3G Spot" to a more protected place (crevice? crotch?) Seriously, the exoskeleton/antenna is a major breakthrough-- they just need to get it right. You will see exoskeletons in many CE devices,

Then, some NFC/RFID awareness goodies, where we can meander through life bumping and exchanging data. I'd like to bump the POST at the supermarket, etc., pay my bill and get a detail receipt that goes into my budget program-- same at the gas station, doctors office (senior care facility), meetings...

Oddly, I think that the traditional OSes will evolve to be more like the Mobile OSes-- get in, do your thing get out (for the majority of users).

I expect Apple to have a HyperCard-like app that runs on the iPhone/iPad and allows users to create useful, simple custom apps.

Finally, I expect the iPad and iPhone to be considered as Siamese twins (Mutt and Jeff) who separated at birth (point of purchase) are reconciled in later life (1-2 months) to demonstrate synergy.

Synergy, is what it is really all about!

Quote:

Haim Harel, president and founder of wireless chip maker Magnolia Broadband, said Apple may have created a design "breakthrough" if it can perfect external antennas for cellphones.

The approach, which saves space for other functions in a phone, was also praised by Franz Birkner, CEO of antenna technology maker Rayspan Corp. "But the challenge of innovation is it inevitably comes with risk," he said.

I hope Apple can make the external antenna work - and I hope Apple figure out a way of bringing back something like hypercard. I'm not sure how they're going to allow you to create your own apps and load them on your own machine without allowing an alternative distribution channel. Not that I mind.

Ironically the Google system is based on the MIT Scratch technology that Apple banned from the iPad initially ( I believe now their spat with Adobe is over, they're in talks to allow it, just as they're allowing gaming interpreters).
  • Reply 480 of 547
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I don't think Apple will make quick hardware change as that would be the same thing as a complete recall of every iPhone 4. Everyone who bought the original would complain that they deserved a fixed version. If they do make any changes it won't be to remove the external antenna. They may quietly tweak the guts to minimize the issue but they will likely keep the design until next year.

Besides it isn't the "Death Grip" it is "A Slight Inconvenience Grip". Just don't hold it like that when in a weak signal zone. There are many things in life that require modified behavior considerations. For example when it is raining or snowing, if you have a lick of sense you don't drive fast, you slow down accordingly. If you notice the sound quality of your phone is starting to falter and you have only a one small bar, don't hold your finger on the weak spot.