RIM: Problems with 7-inch tablets only exist in Apple's 'distortion field'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

your colleagues are either useless or lying, both my android handsets outperform both iphone 3gs and iphone 4 in battery life by a handy margin.

maybe its the extra calls they can take because of the improved reception??

It's good to know you have two android handsets just to get a days work done.
  • Reply 42 of 344
    Quote:

your colleagues are either useless or lying, both my android handsets outperform both iphone 3gs and iphone 4 in battery life by a handy margin.

maybe its the extra calls they can take because of the improved reception??

Whatever, man you are so full of it! My buddies and I talk about this problem all the time. Their phones just flat out don't hold a charge near as long as my iPhone. They own Droids and HTC's, and while they do get better reception at times, their phones die quicker ... noticeably.

Why is it people who don't like apple products come here and outright lie about this stuff?
  • Reply 43 of 344
    I treat this battle the same way I treat my sports teams: I usually pick the one that's 42-4, not 4-42.
  • Reply 44 of 344
    I love how Steve brings some personality out of the other CEOs. But seriously, what users are not under Apple's RDF? I think RIM needs to crank their RDF up a few notches. Starting to see through their BS. QNX is an interesting move on their part, but they need more then QNX to save them in the long run. QNX is a great OS, but the other SDKs from RIM are second rate. Maybe they have something up their sleeve though. Who knows. We'll see when they actually release real information about their 7" tablet. They seem to be going for the Enterprise market with this. They better be really cheap if that is going to work. The iPad is inexpensive, has great development tools, will stick around for the long haul, and already has the enterprise market. Hard to compete against that.
  • Reply 45 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It's good to know you have two android handsets just to get a days work done.

no, just with the same contract money I used to pay for an iPhone I can now afford 2 android contracts and pass one on to someone less fortunate than me.

nice try though...
  • Reply 46 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Fewer of those this year than last year, than the year before, than the year before...

McD

still pretty much statistically irrelevant.
  • Reply 47 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Responding to Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs' claims that a touchscreen tablet with a 7-inch screen is too small to use, a co-CEO of Research in Motion said the comments do not apply to users "who live outside of Apple's distortion field."

The comments made Tuesday by RIM's Jim Balsillie are, of course, meant to defend his company's 7-inch PlayBook tablet set to launch in early 2011. Balsillie said he thinks customers are "getting tired of being told what to think by Apple."

"For those of us who live outside of Apple's distortion field...."

Wow! This is what I have been saying all along! And I have been attacked, insulted and repeatedly banned for it. Glad to know there are SOME normal people in the world.
  • Reply 48 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Whatever, man you are so full of it! My buddies and I talk about this problem all the time. Their phones just flat out don't hold a charge near as long as my iPhone. They own Droids and HTC's, and while they do get better reception at times, their phones die quicker ... noticeably.

Why is it people who don't like apple products come here and outright lie about this stuff?

same question right back at ya...just flip it around.

I have owned every model of iphone going back to the original right up to ip4.... until I saw the light.

I am giving my opinion based on experience of OWNING both platforms and using them for long periods of time.

your opinion is based on what...?

blind loyalty, heresay or is it that pesky distortion reality field again?
  • Reply 49 of 344
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Gee, a Boeing 727 is too small for International flights, so Toyota will never be able to sell a Camry. Right?

Suggestion - learn the difference between a tablet and a phone and THEN come back and express an opinion.

Which vehicle do I need to sand down my fingers to use?
  • Reply 50 of 344
    Quote:

I have owned every model of iphone going back to the original right up to ip4.... until I saw the light.

I am giving my opinion based on experience of OWNING both platforms and using them for long periods of time.

Fanboi got nailed!
  • Reply 51 of 344
    i think sj's comments will be a self-fulfilling prophecy, particularly with large enterprise purchases. a lot more people are now going to take a 'wait and see' approach to these new tablets (which STILL have not come out yet!). this sentiment, combined with the fact that they will be a crappy value compared to the iPad, will have a large effect on enterprise.

like most of apple's sometimes subtle, sometimes overt market manipulations (eg the flash debate), while i slightly resent it, i still hope it works, because i dont want to be stuck using a 7" tablet in the future just because it became a de facto standard.

oh, archipellago, blackintosh, please stfu
  • Reply 52 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Well, Apple actually spends the money on user interface research and before iPad was released to the public there were rumors that apple was buying 7" and 10" touch screen panels. No doubt they tested numerous sizes before deciding on the current iPad size. I accept the reality-distortion field because it usually becomes the new reality when people start using the products. I don't think this is fake, I think this is using great marketing to move consumer opinions. It's how a product succeeds. Great products that "came before their time" basically flopped because of poor marketing.

Yeah. I took a peek inside the RDF generator last time I was in Cupertino. Inside there was nothing but earned trust. Those Apple guys really like simple elegant designs! ;-)
  • Reply 53 of 344
    coraxcorax Posts: 47member
    Quote:

He cannot flip the question around, because he isn't going to websites from products he doesn't like to lie about stuff.
  • Reply 54 of 344
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Could you be more specific regarding your reasons for 'size'? Just an aesthetic thing, or something else? (Weight is constantly being brought down as things progress, so I am not concerned about that.)

I will, but how is weight going to be brought down on the iPad exactly? As things progress? Be specific here.

I own an iPad, and just feel it's a 'touch' too big. Just a touch. It's definitely too heavy, that's for certain. It's actually the no.1 complaint I see from iPad owners - it's weight. It is 'light' as computers go, but you're holding it up in the air a lot. The easiest way to change the weight is to make it smaller, but not by much, that's why I'm talking about merely shaving off point-7". The bonus being it not only becomes lighter, but smaller.

7" is definitely a stupid size, however. I said that from day one. Still feel the sweet-spot is around 9" even.
  • Reply 55 of 344
    Quote:

Didn't think i needed to list them? Anyway, for anyone outside the reality distortion field....

Any SONY MP3 player is far better noise production wise than anything the iPod has ever offered. Heck even the Creative ones are better and the Zune HD is better for noise and picture..

the iPad is a lovely piece of hardware, crippled by useless production software. Browsing the web, watching a movie its Ok but if I want to do something professional, productive and compatible then I pull out a PC laptop which was half the price and will likely last twice the amount of time an Apple laptop will last (in my experience).

OSX is held up as the bastion of OS development..... but Win 7 is clearly better in nearly every way. Heck the new Ubu is better than OSX.

Any phone..as a phone is better than the iPhone, pick any manufacturer you like. iOS UI is so dated and poor now its not funny. Android just wipes the floor with it. You can set Android up so that the number of times you have to press an icon is so small it doesn't matter.

Pressing icon buttons to get to a Wifi network setting is so 2007!!!

lets not forget the TCO of iPhone too, in some places its 3 or 4 times the cost of other 3g phones.

Vertical integration always fails.....always will.

Enjoy the good times, they won't last forever

Thanks! You too, enjoy the bad times, they probably will last forever, or for a very long time at least.

Oh yes, ubuntu is so much better than os x, does the last version actually install without corrupting the whole disk? That would be a tremendous step ip from the last time.
  • Reply 56 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I will, but how is weight going to be brought down on the iPad exactly? As things progress? Be specific here.

I own an iPad, and just feel it's a 'touch' too big. Just a touch. It's definitely too heavy, that's for certain. It's actually the no.1 complaint I see from iPad owners - weight. And you need to be an owner of the device to understand that.

The real question is: How are you going to make a lighter device that doesn't have crappy battery life? The iPads weight comes from its batteries. The screen isn't very heavy. They could knock off a little weight by removing the glass and the aluminum, but then you have a very fragile device. A 7" RIM device with the same battery life and construction quality will probably be as heavy as the iPad. Personally, I don't think the weight is an issue. Significantly lighter then my MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 57 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

...how is weight going to be brought down on the iPad exactly?

Rhetorical? Are you suggesting that iPad's weight has reach its nadir?
  • Reply 58 of 344
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    ... may be different from what would be more apparent in the long term strategy of Apple.

Remember when Intel was part of the Wintel enemy camp? That was true, until Apple decided to use intel chips. When Apple saw more appropriate technologies for its products, Apple did not think twice to use non-Intel chips.

Apple may just be doing it at its own pace, not simply because it is possible to create a device.

That may be the case with a 7-inch iPad. Now, if it is indeed the case that Apple will never ever enter the 7-inch tablet; then I would disagree with Steve Jobs.

Dedicated vs Multifunctional Use.

It is true that the multifunctional use of the iPhone and iPod Touch, and this year the iPad have made them more useful for the diverse uses of average consumers. Add the ecosystem developed and nurtured by Apple to support these devices, and it would explain why the iOS mobile comouting devices were such successes, even if many professional analysts and bloggers did not grasp the utility of the iOS devices to the average consumer.

However, consider this: The iPad does not have the full functionality of what many consider as essential for a computer. It is still selling like hotcakes, and even more so,

Now, let's cripple the iPad further, and remove its use for reading newspapers, websites and other large materials. What are left?
    • Music

• Video

• Podcasts

• internet Radio

• iBook reading (the iBook technology allows resize of the iBook to conform optimally in both portrait and landscape views Thus, likely to be adaptable to smaller (and larger) sizes iPads

• Tabloid style eNews reading

• Casual gaming device that is even more portable but with a larger viewing screen than the current iPad

• eMail

• Facetime

• etc

Everything that you can do with the iPod touch but using a larger screen. More portable than the iPad. And, with the smaller screen size, all other things equal, it will be much lighter and more "sturdy" than the larger iPad.

There might be a logarithmic difference in price also because smaller screens, a significant cost in the iPad may be serveral fold cheaper.

All the above makes a 7-inch tablets, or whatever is optimal for a smaller tablet. become more affordable to the average consumer. The same reason why some people buy an iPod touch, and a non-smartphone, instead of the iPhone, Androids, etc.

Then, there are the non-consumer uses of tablets that are even more dedicated than the enumerations of features above, for the consumer iPad. Just like the OS software and components of the personal computers, the non-personal (not consumer use of the PC dwarf the number actually sold to consumers. I can think of their dedicated use in mail and parcel carriers, factorues, hospitals, offices, etc.

Maybe Apple have such more dedicated gadgets in mind already in development.. And, call them by other names, as opposed to the concept they built for the iPad.

If one followed the "All Things D" interview this year, Steve Jobs shared that Apple years befoire 2007, the tech team started by developing what was to become the iPad. Along the way, a spun off of their Research and Development was what became the iPhone, almost three years before the iPad.

Prior tablets did not sell well before the iPad; but now Apple has shown other companies that the iPad is indeed useful to consumers. Many cosumers (and companies) have now been indocrinated that the tablet, like the iPad. may have a niche purpose in their lives. There is less "familiarization" needed by the consumer to consider buying tablets, including smaller size tablets.

CGC
  • Reply 59 of 344
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Personally I own an iPhone and an iPad, I don't think I would have bought an iPad if it was 7" as I would not have seen a big enough improvement over my iPhone to justify it.

How about a 7 inch pad with a full OS on it?

Then it would not be like a big iPhone.
  • Reply 60 of 344
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post

But this being said, it sounds like Jobs has decided NO 7" iPad. Bummer.

When I heard rumors of a 7" iPad I cut out a 7" piece of paper and tried it out. Trust me - when Jobs said it's a bad idea - he not lying. It's a terrible size. It's too big to fit in your pocket and too small to be much more useful than a smartphone. If the Android tablet's were 9" I'd say something. 7" is trying to be too many things, and it will be neither, well. There's a reason most people like 13" laptops, it's a sweet-spot. Well it's consider the sweet-spot.