First look: Apple's Mac App Store simplifies buying, updating software

Comments

• Reply 21 of 163
    Although iWork 09 is available through the Mac App Store, only those apps from iLife 11 that have been changed since iLife 09 are available. Those apps in iLife 09 that were not changed for iLife 11 (e.g., iWeb) are not available in the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 22 of 163
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

So how do you back up the software purchases? Where does the installer go? And how do you install the software on other computers?

1. No real need to backup as you can download your purchased Apps as many times from the Mac App Store as you like.

2. Just upgrade to 10.6.6 on the other computers and open the Mac App Store. Then Login to the Mac App Store using the same account you made the purchases with. The go to the Purchases tab and you will see your purchased Apps with an Install button next to them. Click on Install and you are done.
  • Reply 23 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michelle_eris View Post

Although iWork 09 is available through the Mac App Store, only those apps from iLife 11 that have been changed since iLife 09 are available. Those apps in iLife 09 that were not changed for iLife 11 (e.g., iWeb) are not available in the Mac App Store.

iLife comes free on every new Mac.
  • Reply 24 of 163
    Anyone else notice the icon for app store bears a strange resemblance to iTunes? Looks like Apple is going a new direction with their app icons, curious. Don't know that I like it but don't know that I hate it either.
  • Reply 25 of 163
    Quote:

There is not currently a way to have the App Store recognize previously installed, paid third-party software, as this would leave Apple out of its 30 percent cut of all App Store sales. That means users who want the convenience of the App Store will need to buy the software again.

Of course there is. Apple's Remote Desktop management software allows restriction of which apps can be run and it recognizes programs even if the name in the Finder has been changed. Apple doesn't deserve a cut of previous sales because they didn't have a Mac app store at the time. If they want this to be a complete solution, they need to offer the same functionality to previously purchased apps which are now in the store.
  • Reply 26 of 163
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Yes, you have to invest a whole $27 to get Snow Leopard.

Dealbreaker for some.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jw915 View Post

Unfortunately, Apple's version is still inferior since it doesn't handle dependency management and doesn't (appear to) allow the use of third party channels.

Why the heck would you think Apple would ever allow third-party channels in their App Store?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

1. No real need to backup as you can download your purchased Apps as many times from the Mac App Store as you like.

Oh, yeah, I really want to redownload tens of gigabytes of apps. Sounds like a real picnic.
  • Reply 27 of 163
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RandySK View Post

Of course there is. Apple's Remote Desktop management software allows restriction of which apps can be run and it recognizes programs even if the name in the Finder has been changed. Apple doesn't deserve a cut of previous sales because they didn't have a Mac app store at the time. If they want this to be a complete solution, they need to offer the same functionality to previously purchased apps which are now in the store.

I don't think this is going to happen. Contrary to the wild claims by some that this is the first step in turning Mac OS X into a walled garden, I think this is more a move on Apple's part to make using Mac OS X as simple as possible, particularly for new users. Existing users are used to obtaining software from multiple sources, and integrating existing purchases from all software vendors into the store is simply too complicated, especially when software vendors have different upgrade policies, and quite probably incomplete customer lists. But, for users new to the platform, getting up and running with the software they need will now be extremely simple, making the choice to switch even easier than it was before.
  • Reply 28 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jw915 View Post

Apple didn't come up with the idea of an app store; several other platforms had something like this before, including the Danger Hiptop and Linux distributions. App stores have also been available from third parties, for example Steam.

Unfortunately, Apple's version is still inferior since it doesn't handle dependency management and doesn't (appear to) allow the use of third party channels.

Fortunately for Apple, nobody's ever heard or or gives a hoot about "Danger Hiptop" and nearly zero percent of Apple's target market (ie, everyone) uses linux.
  • Reply 29 of 163
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Yes, you have to invest a whole $27 to get Snow Leopard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Dealbreaker for some.

Right, because people unwilling to spend $27 on Snow Leopard are going to be willing to spend oodles of money buying apps.

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, yeah, I really want to redownload tens of gigabytes of apps. Sounds like a real picnic.

If you were a Mac user, and at all sensible, you'd be using Time Machine to back things up for you. If you're looking for a way to transfer those apps to another computer, bypassing the App Store, most likely you're looking for a way to pirate them and Apple is unlikely to be interested in accommodating you.

But, of course, we know you are just here to complain about anything Apple does.
  • Reply 30 of 163
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Right, because people unwilling to spend $27 on Snow Leopard are going to be willing to spend oodles of money buying apps.

If you were a Mac user, and at all sensible, you'd be using Time Machine to back things up for you. If you're looking for a way to transfer those apps to another computer, bypassing the App Store, most likely you're looking for a way to pirate them and Apple is unlikely to be interested in accommodating you.

But, of course, we know you are just here to complain about anything Apple does.

Some of us have to buy new hardware. However, I'm not interested in buying new hardware, until 10.7 is released.
  • Reply 31 of 163
    Quote:

I have been asked to enter my Apple ID password for each App that I have purchased, even free Apps.

Same here.
  • Reply 32 of 163
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would like to see VLC and Firefox on there just to make my life easier.

Well they use the pretty restrictive GPL license so they won't be able to be on the App Store (not necessarily Apples fault)
  • Reply 33 of 163
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    A few concerns:

No installers: it has been known to happen that sometimes Internet service goes down or your in a location with no connection.

No installers: it has been known to happen that you want to install a compatible version of software on an older OS machine.

Resale: it has been known to happen that you want to sell your older software if you upgrade etc...

No installers: having your Internet cut off because you used 4 months worth of bandwidth re-loading your software could be an issue.

Sounds like a great idea on the surface - for fart app consumers.

I would never trust this service for my professional software and business critical software. If Apple only starts releasing software this way- they are going to loose a lot of customers.

Apple reserves the right to Change their policies at whim, reserves the right to pull their software at will - reserves the right to boot apps from the store on a whim - reserves the right to deny service at will - could be hacked etc...

Anyone willing to put their business in the hands of Apple will get what they deserve. The problem with a walled garden is that while it keeps things out - it also keeps you in... Eventually becoming a prison.

I see this as yet another red flag that Apple is abandoning professionals in favor of the fart app masses. How long before they force all applications to go through the store? You know it's coming.
  • Reply 34 of 163
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Dealbreaker for some.

if that amount is a dealbreaker, then it's just too bad. I didn't notice Ballmer, when he said that "Windows 7 was Vista done right" offering a cheaper upgrade path, let alone a free one.

Quote:

You can back them up. They end up in your applications folder.
  • Reply 35 of 163
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmathur View Post

iLife comes free on every new Mac.

But major updates aren't free. iLife '09 came free on my MB Pro. Upgrading to iLife '11 isn't free.

That's why only updated iLife apps appear in the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 36 of 163
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

... I didn't notice Ballmer, when he said that "Windows 7 was Vista done right" offering a cheaper upgrade path, let alone a free one. ...

Just for the record. Inside Microsoft, Vista's project name was "Windows 6." Windows 7's internal project name was "Windows 6.1."

Maybe Ballmer should have called Windows Phone 7 "Windows Phone 6.1"...
  • Reply 37 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cskoeshall View Post

I assume this won't work with 10.5.8?

Won't work with System 7 either. I am PISSED!
  • Reply 38 of 163
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    As posted in earlier topic on this today ... the term 'Update' is to be read with caution. If updating any existing 3rd party software go to the web site of the vendor, Apple do not allow upgrade prices and you will pay full retail even if you are eligible for an upgrade discount. I was told by a representative Cabel Sasser at Panic Software and I quote: "? this is definitely a shortcoming of the Mac App Store that we hope Apple will address in the future."

I can quite understand it seems excessive paying Apple 30% and offering discounts to Apple for an update however it seems to me that 30% of a much lower price for an update is not totally unreasonable given the other advantages. The system needs to offer two products in a simple illustration; an update version at one price and a full version.
  • Reply 39 of 163
    The fact I can't try before I buy makes it a deal killer. I want to try out several personal finance apps to decide which one I like, but my only choice is to buy all of them?

I could go to the developer site and download the trials. Then I have to delete them and purchase through the app store since it seems the app store recognizes "trials" as installed already. I don't konw if the app store would allow me to "update" software I purchased directly from the developer as that situation hasn't happened for me yet.
  • Reply 40 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The App Store serves as a place not only to find new software, but also to manage applications and be notified of updates.

I would argue that it is not a place to manage applications, but it should have been. You can download apps and update them, and yeah there is some tracking of what you have downloaded, but I think they should have included an uninstaller. Hopefully this will come with Lion so that users can install, update and uninstall via the App Store without needing to ever visit the applications folder. this will make life very simple for the non techies out there. I always thought it was a shame folders existed in the Applications stack, it got a bit of a fix in SL, but hopefully Launchpad will fix all that.