First look: Apple's Mac App Store simplifies buying, updating software

Comments

• Reply 101 of 163
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I read the report in this morning's WSJ about CES and they seem to spend more time reporting on a rather lack luster showing from MS and Google. Mostly, about products that may or may not come...failed products like the iSmell...it emits a smell when you go on certain websites-failure!

Also, the 90" Mittsubishi flat screen tv looked pretty cool...but it's 3D and that has not proven to be the big seller they thought it would be. I did like the thinness and size though.

Apple needs to be at the CES and have Stevo give the keynote...but Apple should drop the word "computer" from the corporate name first!

Best

It's funny you should mention the keynote. He was asked about that a couple of years before Apple stopped going to the January Macworld. He said that if they stopped scheduling CES the same week as Macworld, he'd be happy to do the keynote. Every year since then around this time, I think of that and wonder. But it's possible that he doesn't want to do it because Apple may be expected to introduce a new product during it, and isn't that supposed to be why they stopped going to Macworld?
  • Reply 102 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a strawman argument.

Just because there are no previews, it doesn't follow at all that your "only choice" is to buy all of them. Another choice might be going to the website of each product and doing some research, and there is nothing stopping the producers of the apps from having a demo copy on their websites anyway.

Personally, if the apps were a bit cheaper, I wouldn't care about a preview before buying it and if there are any developers listening, I think this is true of most people. if you buy the wrong app for five bucks it's not really a big deal, but a lot of the apps are closer to a hundred. If the developers kept everything under 20 bucks or so I think they'd sell the same amount (dollar-wise) on a higher volume.

Considering i acknowledged what you said, but pointed out it doesn't work becuase then I can't return to buy from the App store without deleting the app first. Or if i buy through the trial will the app store let me update?

At this point other than free apps I won't ever use the app store. Or apps I know I want already.
  • Reply 103 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Well if that's your solution then that just defeats the whole purpose of browsing and buying for apps in one central location.

Exactly my point. The app store becomes useless if you want to use trialware to see what you want to buy. I'm not buying $200 of apps to settle for a single $40 app.

If I want to try, I am still doing exactly what I've been doing for years. The app store is simply useless in this case. If fails.
  • Reply 104 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Just look at the numbers there. While Linux was a very small percentage ahead of the Mac at the beginning of the tracking (0.1%), they're 50% ahead of them now. That's a MUCH slower growth rate for Linux. I would imagine that Apple will be much further ahead in years to come.

But what this doesn't show is current buying, just totals. Apple has a much bigger percentage of recent purchasing.

I've tried new versions of Linux on a Mac almost every year since the first version for the PPC came out. I've always found it to be much more annoying in every way. I still do. The biggest problem for non tech people is service. Where does the typical consumer, or school district go for prompt, accurate service? It's tough. For many years I was heavily involved in the NYC school system as a technical advisor. Even here, with all the resources, we have had problems keeping up with service. Even for Macs, there aren't enough techs. For Windows, forget it!

If we moved to Linux, it would be a disaster! Computer teachers are expected to be the first line of service personnel. They do the primary work on the school's servers and computers. Windows baffles them, and OS X isn't perfect either. Linux would be much worse.

That's where people like Red Hat, Novell (now whatever it is), and Ubuntu come in, and give actual business support + people who are trained on it. Security, services, etc. are not and never will be "intuitive" or easy to setup, regardless of platform.

Sure, it costs money. Just like anything else in life.
  • Reply 105 of 163
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    The fortunate part is that the update from Leopard to Snow Leopard is just $25, unlike most major updates.
  • Reply 106 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's funny you should mention the keynote. He was asked about that a couple of years before Apple stopped going to the January Macworld. He said that if they stopped scheduling CES the same week as Macworld, he'd be happy to do the keynote. Every year since then around this time, I think of that and wonder. But it's possible that he doesn't want to do it because Apple may be expected to introduce a new product during it, and isn't that supposed to be why they stopped going to Macworld?

Yep, that's exactly right about why they stopped doing MacWorld....But imagine Stevo giving the speech for the first time at CES....it would be like a scene from the sci-fi movie "Inception." Something "unworldly" about it.

Stevo and Apple at CES! What's that phrase? "The worm has turned!"

Best, enjoyed your comment(s).
  • Reply 107 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

Exactly my point. The app store becomes useless if you want to use trialware to see what you want to buy. I'm not buying $200 of apps to settle for a single $40 app.

If I want to try, I am still doing exactly what I've been doing for years. The app store is simply useless in this case. If fails.

The MAS is different than the iOS App store. It is meant to be A place to buy apps not THE place to buy apps. I think people are trying to fault it for being something that it never said it would be. Stevo said it would be the BEST place to learn about apps. Maybe you don't agree that it is best, but it is not trying to be the only. This is like saying that Dell is a fail because you can't touch the machine before you buy it.
  • Reply 108 of 163
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 109 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Does make the graphics section rather odd though to see Photoshop, Maya, and Mudbox all missing.

Well, sounds like the Mac App Store isn't missing much.

Just a thought, but with this new App Store, Apple has an opportunity to regulate the quality of the applications they sell. Adobe might have a hard time satisfying any quality restrictions that might be in place.
  • Reply 110 of 163
    deleted
  • Reply 111 of 163
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Is that Apple Remote Desktop I see for $79?

Sorry if this has been asked before but is that for unlimited managed Macs or 10?

The info doesn't specify (at least as far as I can tell)
  • Reply 112 of 163
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

A few concerns:

----snip----

Anyone willing to put their business in the hands of Apple will get what they deserve. The problem with a walled garden is that while it keeps things out - it also keeps you in... Eventually becoming a prison.

I see this as yet another red flag that Apple is abandoning professionals in favor of the fart app masses. How long before they force all applications to go through the store? You know it's coming.

You reserve the right to use the search engine of your choice to find software you want anywhere it's hosted on the web.

You reserve the right to read tech journals and websites in order to find sources for the software you want, including but not limited to physical media from brick and mortar stores.

Now you have another option, it's not the only one.
  • Reply 113 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Won't work with System 7 either. I am PISSED!

You're pissed, my system 7 floppy disks corrupted I had to roll back to 6, what rubbish is this those floppy disks are only fifteen years old.
  • Reply 114 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Like the unnerving episode in the '90s when Microsoft gave $150 million to Apple, bringing us this ironic image:

Yep, Mac. I remember it was very surreal at the time and even more so as time went on and people made the connection with big brother, 1984 and all that.

My daughter is in Med School and one of her instructors was struggling with his windows laptop while doing a PwrPnt presentation...and in a moment of complete frustration he said if he ever meets Bill Gates on the street he will kick him in the shins...and then quickly thank him for his work on Malaria...but he still would get kicked.

My daughter thought it was hilarious, She is all Apple!

Best
  • Reply 115 of 163
    deleted
  • Reply 116 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Anyone else notice the icon for app store bears a strange resemblance to iTunes? Looks like Apple is going a new direction with their app icons, curious. Don't know that I like it but don't know that I hate it either.

I'm quite confident that I hate it. I don't know what's come over them, but the new iTunes and App Store icons look like ugly Microsoft creations. It took me less than an hour to replace the iTunes icon after I first updated to iTunes X (and it's the first thing I do after every update). For the App Store, I just yanked it out of my dock so that I only have to look at it when it's open. It's still easily accessible from the Apple menu.
  • Reply 117 of 163
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Like the unnerving episode in the '90s when Microsoft gave $150 million to Apple, bringing us this ironic image:]

How altruistic of them¡ :sigh:
  • Reply 118 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

The fact I can't try before I buy makes it a deal killer. I want to try out several personal finance apps to decide which one I like, but my only choice is to buy all of them?

I could go to the developer site and download the trials. Then I have to delete them and purchase through the app store since it seems the app store recognizes "trials" as installed already. I don't konw if the app store would allow me to "update" software I purchased directly from the developer as that situation hasn't happened for me yet.

This might come in handy for getting rid of trials etc that you may come across as you venture forth onto the big, scary Internet..

http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/
  • Reply 119 of 163
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This might come in handy for getting rid of trials etc that you may come across as you venture forth onto the big, scary Internet..

http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/

I love App Cleaner.
  • Reply 120 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NCLI View Post

Actually, 2.04% of Wikipedias pageviews are from Linux devices, and rising. Additionally, 5% of school PCs now run Linux, also rising fast.

...and lots of ATM's run Windows.