Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 121 of 417
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Where did it say that? I didn't see it.

It was in the first line of the 3rd paragraph, but it appears to have been edited since I posted the link.
  • Reply 122 of 417
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
  • Reply 123 of 417
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I hoped for thunderbolt too.

Though... I am curious how they did an iPad 30 pin connector (with 2 free pins) to an HDMI 19 pin connector -- and have pins left over for concurrent charging and syncing.

Charging and syncing is done over a 4 pin USB connection. 19+4 < 30
  • Reply 124 of 417
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IKnowThat2 View Post

No 4G support (Need new iPad3 for that,spend more money on i*!!!, LOL)

No Flash(Expected),but really need for pc/tablet experience

No SD Slot

Actually none of those are functional in the current version of the Xoom. They claim that the last two will be enabled later on with software updates and the first added somehow (?) but I have to be skeptical of any device that ships with things like that not working.
  • Reply 125 of 417
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Pretty much what was expected" - An incremental 'Update'.

It would have been nice to have:

- A higher resolution display

- A bump to 128gb at the high end

- Higher resolution cameras

- Built-in Stereo speakers

- An SDHC/XC card slot for transferring pictures etc.

- A dock port that allows the connector to sit flush writhe the device.

- A design that didn't force one to buy all new cases/accessories.

Overall, this really is what the device should have been at the beginning, and I'm sure it will sell very well.

I don't know why people want useless features, 128 GB and a card slot. I guess we could always add a floppy drive. What use is a card slot? Especially, when you have the cloud. I can put anything I want on DropBox or iDisk and grab it from every computer at my house or I can transfer it to a card and then take it to every computer. Welcome to the future.....
  • Reply 126 of 417
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Gotta say having separate models for AT&T and Verizon is the one truly negative thing about iPad 2. When you buy a portable "computer" you should be able to use it with any wireless provider.

As an astute friend of mine said this morning, CDMA isn't a technology it's a business model into which customers are locked.
  • Reply 127 of 417
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,388member
    Personally, I only have ONE disappointment, which is that GPS chips are still exclusive to the 3G models. I was hoping they'd throw them in as default, as I would use the GPS for nav apps but have no need for 3G. Ah well. Everything else looks absolutely phenomenal, actually a more significant update than I was expecting. The case/cover is just delightful and unexpected.
  • Reply 128 of 417
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The aluminum back is far more sensitive to scratches than glass so they make a case that covers the tough material and leaves the soft one completely exposed

Seriously? You think it's more important to protect the back of the device that you NEVER look at than the SCREEN that you ALWAYS look at?

I'm almost surprised you're not complaining that they don't sell a case for the case, so the case doesn't get scratched...
  • Reply 129 of 417
    sandorsandor Posts: 665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyDogHasFleas View Post

subquestion 1: with an old VGA adapter

subquestion 2: with the new digital video adapter (HDMI)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTc5OTU4MjA

Quote:

Apple Digital AV Adapter

Put your slides, movies, photos, and everything else that fills your iPad 2 screen on an even bigger screen — your HDTV. The Apple Digital AV Adapter mirrors exactly what you see on iPad 2 so that everyone in the room can enjoy it on your widescreen TV, video projection screen, or other HDMI-compatible display. The Apple Digital AV Adapter also supports video out for iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod touch (4th generation).

i highlighted the important part...
  • Reply 130 of 417
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

Very disappointing - not nearly as good as Motorola Xoom.

It looks like 2011 will be a year of Android tablets after all.

I love good sarcasm, well done.
  • Reply 131 of 417
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

According to Ars, the new iPad has 512MB RAM

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...resolution.ars

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Where did it say that? I didn't see it.

Neither did I. Maybe they had it in initially and then removed it because it wasn't confirmed? In any event, the amount of RAM is still up in the air.

-kpluck
  • Reply 132 of 417
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    The fact that the 'A5' is dual-core is good enough for me. The iPad 2 will be plenty fast. But the hardware geek in me wants his curiosity filled. I want to know all the details of what's in that chip!

• Reply 133 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Personally, I only have ONE disappointment, which is that GPS chips are still exclusive to the 3G models. I was hoping they'd throw them in as default, as I would use the GPS for nav apps but have no need for 3G. Ah well. Everything else looks absolutely phenomenal, actually a more significant update than I was expecting. The case/cover is just delightful and unexpected.

Agreed - I'd love to dash mount an iPad 2 for GPS primarily, but media center as well. Guess we'll have to wait one more time!

The Smart Cover is awesome though - I'm really digging them, trying to get all the info I can about them. I wonder how long it will be until a third party tries to copy...
  • Reply 134 of 417
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    Why are there two 3G versions? So you're locked into the carrier? I though the iPad1 works on either Rogers/Bell, hope it's the same case for ipad2.
  • Reply 135 of 417
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

File under: Gotta' Love 'em

Apple’s iPad 2 Is About to Enter a Crowded Field

http://www.eweek.com/

Yeah there's some serious delusions in this article. The market of comparable products is certainly not very crowded, their sales are not even approaching 1 million and the rest of the "crowded market" are announced and maybe demoed devices. He seems to be counting tablets that have been showN OFF AT CES that won't be out for months yet. It was a funny read tho, thx
  • Reply 136 of 417
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Yikes. I hate carrying bags of connectors cables and dongles, and even more so with an ultra-portable.

Am I missing something? Are you going to carry a TV or extra monitor round with you or something. You need an HDMI output to monitor, correct? Keep one at home and easy to grab when you're going to use it on another monitor.

Out and about, it comes fully equipped as an ultra-portable. No need of any cord of any type with a ten hour battery.
  • Reply 137 of 417
    dbmtxdbmtx Posts: 4member
    Does anyone know if the stores will have the iPad 2 on March 11 in the US?
  • Reply 138 of 417
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Seriously? You think it's more important to protect the back of the device that you NEVER look at than the SCREEN that you ALWAYS look at?

I'm almost surprised you're not complaining that they don't sell a case for the case, so the case doesn't get scratched...

I owned an iPad for a few months, without a case, and when I sold it there wasn't a single visible scratch on the aluminum, even though I constantly threw it in a bag, etc. If you're reasonably careful with it, ie. not slide it over other metallic objects, then it's not too tough to keep it scratch free.
  • Reply 139 of 417
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomsop View Post

I am confused about availability on 3/11 or ability to order beginning 3/11 and does that mean to be the first you have to wait in a long line at the Apple Store?

So do I because November seems a long time to wait for it's release.

P.S. in our date format it's 11/3
  • Reply 140 of 417
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IKnowThat2 View Post

Is this game by apple for apple fanboys so they keep spending money for some smaller updates???

RAM is only 512MB compared to 1GB for Xoom.(This may limit/control future iOS upgrade for sure)

Are you aware of how frequently Android devices get OS updates? Oh my sides hurt! Try putting Android 3.0 on a Galaxy Tab! And as if Xoom is going to be around for longer than the HP Slate PC! Hilarity!

Quote:

No 4G support (Need new iPad3 for that,spend more money on i*!!!, LOL)

"4G" is marginally faster 3G data service that isn't availably in many places and is expensive. Even so, if you have an iPad, you're probably going to be connecting via your iPhone or WiFi, because paying for a data subscription on each device is rather silly and expensive. But, if you buy that Xoom you can send it in for a WEEK for an upgrade! Hilarious.

Quote:

No USB

Yeah, just like the iPod and iPhone don't have USB, unless you know how to plug it in.

Quote:

No Flash(Expected),but really need for pc/tablet experience

Who wants a PC experience? Ha you're too funny. Yes there are a few sites with Flash animation or ads on them, but that will evaporate fast now that 95% of tablets only support modern HTML5. And have you used Flash on Android? Clearly you haven't or you wouldn't be snorting about how useful it is.

[QUOTE]No SD Slot[QUOTE]

Might have been nice, but there's a camera connector, making this rather desperate criticism.

Quote:

Display resolution inferior to Xoom

Hilarious! Yes you can pay $800 to have a small handheld TV, but that's all you can do with it. I'd prefer a 50" plasma to passively watch movies. For a tablet, I'd rather have something with apps.

Quote:

No Widgets which are much more usable for tablets.

Extra money for HDMI adapter while is is part of Xoom

Display resolution is still same as iPad1!!

All features like Duel processor, front/rear camera, Gyro, HDMI, USB, Flash support,

Widget support, 1GB RAM,SD Card slot to expand memory,4G support, better resolution display are already part of Xoom.

No wonder it is $79 chceaper then Xoom, add all cost up and Xoom will come out cheaper and better then iPad2($39 just for hdmi adapter, LOL)

Looks like Motorola is going to make at least one sale! At least if you put your $800 where your mouth is. You'll be monitoring which Android apps to kill to make the UI sort of responsive as you watch tormented movies in WebM -- ON YOUR TV, using a cable, to take advantage of that great build in HDMI jack.

Fun Stuff!!! Google is so great. Too bad there's no apps and the hardware sucks and malware/spyware.