Apple sues Samsung for allegedly copying look and feel of iPhone, iPad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I normally agree with apple on most of their lawsuits. This one seems a bit general. "copy the look and feel".

I think that if I spent so much energy and time to create something original, I'd be furious if another large company (not unlike Samsung) totally ripped off all of my ideas and presented them in what appears to be almost exactly the same way. The level of similarity between the products shown in the article is comical, because the resemblance of the Samsung products to the iPhone & iPad is beyond obvious.
  • Reply 122 of 146
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 123 of 146
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Indeed, the silliness:

Apple's Sloppy, Fearful Samsung Lawsuit

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383820,00.asp

PCMag pretty much takes every opportunity to trash Apple, there isn't much reason to pay attention to what they have to say. Unless your intent is to trash Apple.

Quote:

Ah, the rationale:

'Lawsuit displays Apple's sense of urgency'

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...tegoryCode=129

Could it not really be that for Apple to hold a patent it has to defend said patent to continue to hold it? Must it be some nefarious scheme?
  • Reply 124 of 146
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Whether Apple is within it's rights or not, the perception this leaves may be what the PCMag article intimates: Apple is acting with some desperation. Matters not if it's true. It's what some significant percentage of the population THINKS is true. That's where Apple needs to be careful.
  • Reply 125 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    [QUOTE=screamingfist;1850089]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

yes i am saying that.

but don't twist what few neurons you have into a tiny bunch. we all know you have special needs and you should focus on those and let the grownups talk.

In other words you have no case to make outside of "Jobs is bad." Typical. And reported.
  • Reply 126 of 146
    I don't believe PCMag is all that influential over the larger perception of anything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Whether Apple is within it's rights or not, the perception this leaves may be what the PCMag article intimates: Apple is acting with some desperation. Matters not if it's true. It's what some significant percentage of the population THINKS is true. That's where Apple needs to be careful.

• Reply 127 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Apple has no case. Apparently, Apple's lawyers forgot about this.

(Giant image redacted, learn how to post)

In fact, these are the phones that Samsung showed at '06 CeBIT

For the link wary, they all pretty much look like this:

The phone you pictured was announced in February of '07 and not released till December of that year.

So in your credulous zeal to believe anything that might reflect poorly on Apple you're actually making the case that Samsung did in fact copy the iPhone as soon as they got a look at it, introducing a mockup (apparently a habit with Samsung) to grab some mindshare and figuring out how to actually get on the market nearly a year later.

Congratulations.

EDIT: correct typo on year
  • Reply 128 of 146
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Apple has no case. Apparently, Apple's lawyers forgot about this.

It's a 2007 phone. Announced in 2007. Released in 2007. Typing 2006 on a jpg does not a fact make.
  • Reply 129 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't believe PCMag is all that influential over the larger perception of anything.

They may not be. I would still say that Apple needs to be cognizant of the way their actions are perceived and reported by the media.
  • Reply 130 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theolein View Post

Mac fags will be Mac fags no matter what Apple does.

Cool it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

It's a 2007 phone. Announced in 2007. Released in 2007. Typing 2006 on a jpg does not a fact make.

Outside of the fact the current Samsung devices that are clearly part of this case look nothing like the device in that image or could be mistaken for an iPhone, it cracks me up that the iPhone image was altered to add the Samsung phone to the hand.
  • Reply 131 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Cool it.

Outside of the fact the current Samsung devices that are clearly part of this case look nothing like the device in that image or could be mistaken for an iPhone, it cracks me up that the iPhone image was altered to add the Samsung phone to the hand.

So then you have to wonder, did Galbi find that image elsewhere and repost it without checking, or did he deliberately attempt to deceive? If the latter, WTF? That's getting pretty invested in making sure Apple is always wrong.
  • Reply 132 of 146
    Thanks to whoever caught the image manipulation. While I think it's highly unlikely that Samsung saw an iPhone and less than a month later had a working device at CEBIT copied from it, it does appear now that Apple could not have copied Samsung's F700 either.

A good lesson not to believe everything you see on the internet (as tho we all didn't already know better). A little personal research before accepting statements as fact.

As you were everyone
  • Reply 133 of 146
    Quote:

Thanks to whoever caught the image manipulation. While I think it's highly unlikely that Samsung saw an iPhone and less than a month later had a working device at CEBIT copied from it, it does appear now that Apple could not have copied Samsung's F700 either.

A good lesson not to believe everything you see on the internet (as tho we all didn't already know better). A little personal research before accepting statements as fact.

As you were everyone

And since they didn't actually release anything till nearly a year later, I'm not so sure they had a "working device" at CeBIT. It's not uncommon (certainly not for Samsung) to show nonfunctioning mockups just to drive some mindshare-- which is what they did with their recent "redesigned" Galaxy Tab.
  • Reply 134 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And since they didn't actually release anything till nearly a year later, I'm not so sure they had a "working device" at CeBIT. It's not uncommon (certainly not for Samsung) to show nonfunctioning mockups just to drive some mindshare-- which is what they did with their recent "redesigned" Galaxy Tab.

Like the non-functioning Samsung Tab that came out right after the iPad 2 saying it's thinner despite actual side-by-side comparisons empirically debunking that claim. How do you mess up a mockup that only has to display a lopping video and stay constantly connect to a power source? Better question, why do you lie about it?
  • Reply 135 of 146
    The people waxing poetic about this are the same people who wax poetic about everything that Apple does. You don't hear any of this when someone is suing Apple. Which happens very frequently.

Quote:

They may not be. I would still say that Apple needs to be cognizant of the way their actions are perceived and reported by the media.

• Reply 136 of 146
    I'm using my iPhone so my research options are limited but it looks like the Samsung F700 was announced [and demoed] at the 3GSM World Congress the month AFTER the iPhone was demoed, wasn't even given a ship date until September 2007 which stated Vodafone in November 2007 as the first carrier and only carrier at that time.
    edit: This is all covered in a new AI article. I really need to get an RSS app for my iPhone.
  • Reply 137 of 146
    You got it pretty accurate Solipsism. Yes, it was a "hands-on" working device according to one reviewer blogging about it at the time.
  • Reply 138 of 146
    [QUOTE=addabox;1850396]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

In other words you have no case to make outside of "Jobs is bad." Typical. And reported.

you are the one with 'no case'. you chimed in with 'stupid comment' and nothing more so stop behaving like a fool that has no clue. And my case? you mean my counter among the 100's of posts about how evil samsung is 'copying' or stealing from apple that Jobs is reported to be a thief of ideas as reported by his own former employees?

http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?sto...tion_Field.txt

so i friggin laugh at you and your 'reported'.
  • Reply 139 of 146
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Apple is acting with some desperation. Matters not if it's true. It's what some significant percentage of the population THINKS is true.

"Significant percentage" meaning tiny minority? And a minority that tends to think Apple is desperate in everything it does anyway.

Quote:

Brilliant! Don't sue 'cos Gizmodo won't like it.
  • Reply 140 of 146
    roxyroxy Posts: 6member
    What church of apple replied... lol

http://thechurchofapple.com/2011/04/...-sues-samsung/