Google rushing out Android 4 "Ice Cream Sandwich" to counter iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

So again software vs device? Nice ...

I just can't wait for Apple's iCloud service along with third party apps utilizing seamless syncing.
  • Reply 22 of 137
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:

What's done in a hurry, is seldom done well.

And as Cpsro has already pointed out, how long will it take for the individual phone makers and carriers to adopt this new OS? I do think however, that the average consumer does not at all perform any research into the frequency of updates being released by different manufacturers, and will therefore just buy the phone that is cheap but looks like a smartphone. Let them rush it and then let Apple crush it. At the end of the days, consumers will not at all be impressed by the quality of a rushed OS and will next time shop on and pay a visit to an Apple store or reseller.

I think that the iPhone 5 in combination with iOS 5 will be an absolute success and the competitors will just be left flabbergasted.

But that's just my humble, yet biased, opinion .
  • Reply 23 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Google would be far better off actually engineering a stable and innovative OS. Instead it looks like the industry will get another clunky unstable version of Android. Here is hoping HP can actually make headway with WebOS.

Unfortunately, HP's chunky looking tablet is awful IMHO.
  • Reply 24 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Thank you Mr. 1-poster. They are all under the legal guns right now. What profits they are making (or not) is not the point.

As far as I'm concerned, their profits are made on the backs of Apple's R&D, regardless of how the fandroid-community wants to spin it.

i had no idea that being a first time poster should warrant being ridiculed.

I can't really say who is copying who, as I do not know the origins of patents, as does most everyone else here, unless they're patent experts who've been in the tech industry for decades.
  • Reply 25 of 137
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Two stories, two different sites. The only source? "We have been told".

• Reply 26 of 137
    Google will release that half-baked & buggy crap so that they can counter the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 27 of 137
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

It does.

Quote:

I can't really say who is copying who, as I do not know the origins of patents, as does most everyone else here, unless they're patent experts who've been in the tech industry for decades.

We can definitely tell you who is copying who. This subject has been debated to exhaustion, no more needs to be said.

Based on your Android-esque username, coming to an Apple enthusiast website claiming that Samsung / Android is in the clear, when they are not, simply tells me your here to provoke.
  • Reply 28 of 137
    Quote:

Oh you didn't know that nowadays people don't need a good reason to ridicule someone? Shallow remarks show shallow people.

Quote:

The shallower the brook, the more it babbles.

• Reply 29 of 137
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

It shouldn't.

Quote:

However saying ridiculous things might. C'mon you really don't know who copied whom? You think that the iPhone is a blatent rip off of WiMo? The iPad off of Origami? Even an android fan should be willing to admit that the iPhone and the iPad defined categories, and that the android OEMs have copied them. The only question is whether or not they copied it legally or whether it infringes, but that they copied really isn't in doubt.
  • Reply 30 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Shallow remarks show shallow people.

That's rather shallow of you to say that...
  • Reply 31 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It does.

We can definitely tell you who is copying who. This subject has been debated to exhaustion, no more needs to be said.

Based on your Android-esque username, coming to an Apple enthusiast website claiming that Samsung / Android is in the clear, when they are not, simply tells me your here to provoke.

Wow, hold your guns mr. Sherlock. Even if you have the suspicion of him being an insider. It is not at all nice to provoke a person whom you think is here to provoke. If that makes sense. I know there is not much benefit in doubt. But please do give a person whom you have never met, nor had the honour of greeting in ways gentleman do, this benefit.
  • Reply 32 of 137
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    sure Google is in a hurry, now that they know what to copy from iOS 5. Screen Mirroring for Apple TV will be its killer app, so Google has to "invent" their version for Google TV ASAP. oh yeah, and copy, er i mean "invent," AirPlay from iOS 4 too.
  • Reply 33 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It strikes me as odd that Google hasn't made Chrome a part of Android. They simply call it Browser and use a very generic icon of the Earth. From what I can tell it's not even close to being as unified with Chrome the way Safari is between Mac OS and iOS or even between Internet Explorer between Windows and WP7.

Chrome is popular. It's on its way to being the #2 browser in the world so why not try to extend that usability to their mobile OS. Why keep it so separate and so stunted in comparison?

One reason could be they don't care too much about Android. But that doesn't make sense because they do care about Chrome. They also care about Gmail yet that is not part of the Android mail program. Again, that sounds odd. I wonder if Google if it's because they are insulating themselves from other, moneymaking ventures knowing the illegality of Android OS would eventually catch up to it.
  • Reply 34 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

If that makes sense. I know there is not much benefit in doubt. But please do give a person whom you have never met, nor had the honour of greeting in ways gentleman do, this benefit.

Yes... call him Mr. Android Apologist... as a gentleman would.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    It looks like this time around, Google id ripping off iOS 5 before it even comes out! They have no shame.
  • Reply 36 of 137
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 37 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

racist ban imo

A blackhead is a zit. Calm the F down.
  • Reply 38 of 137
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It strikes me as odd that Google hasn't made Chrome a part of Android. They simply call it Browser and use a very generic icon of the Earth. From what I can tell it's not even close to being as unified with Chrome the way Safari is between Mac OS and iOS or even between Internet Explorer between Windows and WP7.

Chrome is popular. It's on its way to being the #2 browser in the world so why not try to extend that usability to their mobile OS. Why keep it so separate and so stunted in comparison?

Its a point that deserves attention.

I think there's an internal war between Chrome and Android teams.

Google's heart is in Chrome, and I think they only released Android as a holding action to keep the app model from getting out of hand. Put out an app platform that's ad-based.

But ultimately, I don't see where Android keeps the ad/personalInfoSales business going.
  • Reply 39 of 137
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

One reason could be they don't care too much about Android. But that doesn't make sense because they do care about Chrome. They also care about Gmail yet that is not part of the Android mail program. Again, that sounds odd. I wonder if Google if it's because they are insulating themselves from other, moneymaking ventures knowing the illegality of Android OS would eventually catch up to it.

That's an interesting question but I don't think the insulation idea holds water, after all chrome isn't money making.
  • Reply 40 of 137
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How did I know who wrote this story before I even read it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Google would be far better off actually engineering a stable and innovative OS. Instead it looks like the industry will get another clunky unstable version of Android. Here is hoping HP can actually make headway with WebOS.

HP made the same rush to market mistake. The 3.02 version is reputed and reported to be a notably better user experience, but 98% of the mediocre reviews are of the first to market 3.0 units.

I will give Google credit for the worst code/release names of OS's ever, tho. Thankfully, I will not ever have to explain someone that I'm running "ice cream sandwich."