Siri voice assistant technology distinguishes iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 41 of 192
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MWR View Post

Neither do I (except in the conventional sense of course), but my wife does.

She wants it to read to her, help her send messages, find answers on the Internet for her, and many more things she can't currently easily do with her phone. That's because she's blind.

If this things works as advertised, it truly could be a life changer for some people. Apple deserves nothing but kudos for that.

I hope it indeed works as advertised for your wife's sake. Good luck.
  • Reply 42 of 192
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is iPhone 4S feature. So not available on the iPhone 4.

Look it seemed to run great on a 3GS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpjpVAB06O4
  • Reply 43 of 192
    mwrmwr Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

I hope it indeed works as advertised for your wife's sake. Good luck.

Thanks, that was my first post, I just felt strongly about it.

I appreciate the welcoming tone of your response.
  • Reply 44 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Lion's iCal already makes a mess of things. You think I'm going to trust voice input for this? No, Siri.

Well, aren't you just the King of Wit.
  • Reply 45 of 192
    I have the Siri app (from the app store) on my iPhone 4, and just used it yesterday to find a Thai restaurant. Worked great, much like today's presentation.

However, today the app will not launch. It displays "Sorry...".

Apple must have killed it for all non-iPhone 4s devices.

Like another poster, my wife is also blind and loved Siri.
  • Reply 46 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Whatever happened to supporting the previous two devices?

This is not fragmentation it's segregation.

Is that a serious comment or a joke?
  • Reply 47 of 192
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

Well, aren't you just the King of Wit.

Sorry, no fun intended.
  • Reply 48 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

Look it seemed to run great on a 3GS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpjpVAB06O4

For starters, that's a single app, that you run when you need it, not an assistant ingrained to the core of the OS and always on the ready. Secondly, it's been stated there were many optimizations and concessions that had to be made just to get it to work on the iPhone 3GS over the iPhone 4.
    I am sure you can see a difference between these uses of Siri.
  • Reply 49 of 192
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Even if it does, it's still just a gimmick really. Nothing I want anyway, and I think most of the folks that do want it will have unrealistic expectations of what it can do for them.

I'm still in the seriously underwhelmed camp. There is almost nothing the new iPhone has, outside of perhaps the camera, that I need at all.

I was really hoping for a smaller, cooler looking iPhone to mitigate the fact that it's already more than powerful enough for most peoples needs.

If you already have an iPhone 4, this upgrade isn't meant for you. It is for all of the iPhone 3 and 3GS (like me) hold outs. Which in that case, the iPhone 4S represents a significant upgrade from my iPhone 3GS.
  • Reply 50 of 192
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Even if it does, it's still just a gimmick really. Nothing I want anyway, and I think most of the folks that do want it will have unrealistic expectations of what it can do for them.

I'm still in the seriously underwhelmed camp...

Well that's fine for you. Me, I probably can think of 101 ways this will be useful. And I'm going to start work on that voice activated iOS program that has been waiting for just this technology!
  • Reply 51 of 192
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,718member
    The iPhone 4S is to the iPhone 4 what the iPad 2 is to the original iPad.

I don't hear iPad2 owners complaining about performance. I'd like to see Siri come to the iPad 2 (since I have one). I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 just because I am completely happy with it. I'm also willing to wait for the iPhone 5 (whatever it might be).
  • Reply 52 of 192
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,565member
    This is highly unusual for Apple: they're referring to Siri Assistant as a Beta application

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/04/how-is...internal-docs/
  • Reply 53 of 192
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

The iPhone 4S is to the iPhone 4 what the iPad 2 is to the original iPad.

NUH UH! The iPad 2 got a redesign!

Quote:

I'd like to see Siri come to the iPad 2 (since I have one).

I'd like to see it come to the iPad, since there's nothing stopping it from working on the A4…

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This is highly unusual for Apple: they're referring to Siri Assistant as a Beta application

iWork.com, iTunes, iWork, iCloud…
  • Reply 54 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For starters, that's a single app, that you run when you need it, not an assistant ingrained to the core of the OS and always on the ready. Secondly, it's been stated there were many optimizations and concessions that had to be made just to get it to work on the iPhone 3GS over the iPhone 4.
    I am sure you can see a difference between these uses of Siri.

thanks for the link solipsism.. yeah.. I get it.. I was being a smart a**. Look forward to its evolution.
  • Reply 55 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iWork.com, iTunes, iWork, iCloud?

Those were all touted as beta releases too? Wow, surprised. . .
  • Reply 56 of 192
    This would be so useful if and when they open up the API to developers. Would be so cool to be able to tell apps like Navigon where I am trying to get to quickly.
  • Reply 57 of 192
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Those were all touted as beta releases too? Wow, surprised. . .

Safari and Mac OS X were once betas too.
  • Reply 58 of 192
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is that a serious comment or a joke?

I do joke more often than not but in this case I'm dead ass serious. I could understand the 3GS not being able to use Siri but to exclude the iPhone 4 is downright f'd up. If Android had released Siri and only devices with a 1Gz processor or better than that would only include most devices made in the last 20 months, but Apple has put up the "iPhone 4S only" sign, so yes its segregation.
  • Reply 59 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Safari and Mac OS X were once betas too.

I guess I'm surprised mostly due to the occasional comment that Google releases beta functions/features while Apple takes their time to finish them before release. I hadn't seen it challenged, so just assumed it was pretty well true.
  • Reply 60 of 192
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

I do understand the difference. The thing is, I submit that anyone who talks "to" their phone has a few screws loose. Sane people only ever talk "into" their phones. Semantics aside, it was a joke. Chill.

NP- but get ready for a lot of people now shouting to their phones- "Get Me...", "Give Me...", ""I Want!", "Where is?". I should get Advil stock.

It will be interesting to see how Cook and Apple try to convince me and the public that is something I want or even need.