First Look: Using iPhone 4S with Siri voice assistant

Comments

• Reply 61 of 219
    So, what happened to Apple's iMessage?
  • Reply 62 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

So, what happened to Apple's iMessage?

It's in the top left corner of the screen. Why, what's your actual question?
  • Reply 63 of 219
    A few things:

Siri works best with a headset. The fact that it works at all with an "open-air" mike is a minor miracle. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to filter out background noise?

The audio processing and compression are done on the phone. The voice recognition and answer generation are done by Apple's backend servers.

Siri learns over time, but gets confused when multiple people use the same phone. The happiest Siri users will be the ones who are the sole users of their devices.

If you're getting network issues, disable Siri, power off, power on, re-enable Siri. Try again.

Microsoft's TellMe on Windows Mango is much closer to Android or Voice Command. It's much more limited.

The killer is how well the dictation mode works. I've been writing multi-paragraph e-mails by voice with nary a word out of place.
  • Reply 64 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twelve View Post

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to filter out background noise?

No, but that's why there are two microphones on the iPhone, I thought.
  • Reply 65 of 219
    All of a sudden this morning Siri is not working on my iphone 4S. WTF? That expensive new datacenter in NC can't handle the 1 million preorders + however many first day sales? This doesn't bode well given RIM had recent outage and people were moving from BlackBerry to iPhone. Hope this isn't true...

At 8:40am EST this morning, Siri would not respond. Constantly received this respone, "Uh oh, there's a problem. Can you try again?"
  • Reply 66 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's in the top left corner of the screen. Why, what's your actual question?

That's AT&T's instant message (for me), Verizon or Sprint instant message for others. Apple was supposed to introduce their own iMessage, instant message. It was to be modeled after Blackberry's instant message service.......
  • Reply 67 of 219
    Quote:

That's AT&T's instant message (for me), Verizon or Sprint instant message for others. Apple was supposed to introduce their own iMessage, instant message. It was to be modeled after Blackberry's instant message service.......

No, seriously, what's your question about iMessage?
  • Reply 68 of 219
    You: "Call my mom."

Siri: "What do you want to call your mom?"

You: "A dirty crack whore."

Siri: "OK. Here is your message to your mom:" (displayed text) "You are a dirty crack whore."

Siri: "Are you ready to send it?"
  • Reply 69 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

... If I were to believe your cool aid then why not a 7inch iPad......oh that is right because Apple said bigger is better.

I agree that Apple has said some contradictory and self-serving things in regards screen size. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a 7" iPad at all for that reason. Most of the "reasons" they gave for not doing smaller sizes are kind of made-up IMO.

But I'm not drinking the kool-aide or selling any of my own. I'm just thinking about what's likely based on past performance and knowledge of how Apple has operated in the past.

I'm actually kind of hoping (now Steve Jobs is dead), that they might start to loosen up a bit on some of the Jobsian edicts, and some of the way they typically do things because I think that they don't always make sense. The famous "choice restriction" they do in the design phase for instance, that they typically get praise for, works far better for hardware design than it does for software design.

I would love to see them stop being so strict about that and give us some customisation options. I know I'm far from the only person who is sick and tired of swiping the phone to open it for instance. I understand the reasoning behind it, but that reasoning is arguably faulty in some situations.

As more and more people in more and more differing situations gravitate towards Apple products, the correct response IMO is to start giving people more options and being more flexible about what they can or cannot do with the software.
  • Reply 70 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

above

You just don't get it at all, do you?
  • Reply 71 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

I wish we could bet on this some how. I have no doubt when the do change iPhone body it will get a bigger screen. Its not a flip phone where smaller is better. It is a smartphone where you use the screen all the time.

If I were to believe your cool aid then why not a 7inch iPad......oh that is right because Apple said bigger is better.

Why does being right on an Internet forum matter so much to you? Don't you have any self-esteem?
  • Reply 72 of 219
    Quote:

No, seriously, what's your question about iMessage?

Wasn't Apple going to introduce their own iMessage service like Blackberry's where only Apple device users could instant meaasage each other on only Apple devices. Not the icon in the upper left corner, that the carriers' instant messaging service.
  • Reply 73 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You: "Call my mom."

Siri: "What do you want to call your mom?"

You: "A dirty crack whore."

Siri: "OK. Here is your message to your mom:" (displayed text) "You are a dirty crack whore."

Siri: "Are you ready to send it?"

ILMAO, did Siri really say this?
  • Reply 74 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The-Steve View Post

"Change 500 mexican pesos into US dollars."

This is not a *question*; why are you surprised that there is no answer?

Siri: "OK. Here is your penny."
  • Reply 75 of 219
    Quote:

Wasn't Apple going to introduce their own iMessage service like Blackberry's where only Apple device users could instant meaasage each other on only Apple devices. Not the icon in the upper left corner, that the carriers' instant messaging service.

SERIOUSLY. SERIOUSLY. \
  • Reply 76 of 219
    Quote:

ILMAO, did Siri really say this?

No.
  • Reply 77 of 219
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    The fact that it runs on server means that apple can collect all the mistakes it ever makes and correct them. It really is great to have such huge server with so much feedback. If it was a standalone software in your phone it might be a gimmick, but since it's connected to the "mother ship" it can evolve with time. I am sure Apple can adjust the responses after it looks at what people ask the most often. Pretty amazing.
  • Reply 78 of 219
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I have not upgraded my iPhone yet however on the iPad the icon is Messages but the application is iMessage which we did not have before on the iPad. It is interesting to me that you can test which of your friends has upgrade to iOS 5 because iMessage tests the to: address before it starts working and if the person is not registered with iMessage it doesn't let you and flags it with a red remove warning.
  • Reply 79 of 219
    Quote:

SERIOUSLY. SERIOUSLY. \

Hasn't anyone else heard about Apple's own proprietary iMessage service? That would allow some of us to dump our carrier's high price (and for the carrier, very high profit) messaging plans?
  • Reply 80 of 219
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Trying to test Siri on a friend's 4S this evening was completely unsuccessful. It understood the words just fine - reproducing them on the screen - but then, after 10 or 15 seconds, responded that something "seemed to have gone wrong" and to "try again". I'm wondering if it is another case of the servers being swamped.

Siri may not be ready for Prime Time. Wonder why Apple made a front and center feature of it, rather than introduce it as an also-ran, given it is Beta.