Samsung confirms quad-core processor for next flagship Galaxy smartphone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 175

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHD View Post

LMAO don't get your panties in a bunch fb's.

From the article "Apple is expected to counter its rivals with its own quad-core A-series processor later this year."

What will you say about quad-core when this happens LOL.

They certainly won't be saying this:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It's going to be a very small percentage of customers who actually give a shit about how fast it runs.

jmho

• Reply 62 of 175
    Funny how the press release (and even Samsung's website for the new quad core Exynos) say nothing about the GPU. Someone above finally mentioned Mali-400, which is a good guess. If this new quad does indeed come with Mali-400 then we know why.

Simply put, Mali-400 sucks. I doubt the new Exynos will even be able to beat the A5 in the iPad 2, and won't be anywhere near the A5X. What Samsung has is an Ivy Bridge. Smoking fast CPU with integrated graphics while Apple is using external gaming video cards with their CPU's (figuratively speaking).
  • Reply 63 of 175
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

And here we go again.

Samsung or someone announces the use of faster processors. Some people immediately dump on them for whatever reason. Specs are useless. Don't need quad cores. It's about the GPU. It's about the battery. Blah, blah, blah.

Oh, they talk about quad cores but nothing about GPU. Must be hiding something. RIght ....

Then others will counter with Apple having to catch up. Blah, blah, blah. Just because you can type the characters A5X makes you no expert on specs, what they really mean and whether they are significant.

Really, what's the point from either side? None whatsoever!

Statements about quad or duo cores being faster or using more or less power are absolutely meaningless without context. Please stop making them, for chrissakes.

Statements about Samsung not getting it are absurd because which one of you have produced any mass market products with success? You simply do NOT qualify to diss Samsung when it comes to making decisions about processors.

As for whether Apple plays the spec game or not, what's the point one way or the other?  The people playing the spec game are YOU.  This quite ironic because I doubt more than 5 of you know what a core really is without doing a search. Yup, I am talking to you, you and you. Most of you.

Developers are the ones who need to test these phones and decide which specs are meaningful. Whether quad cores CPU or GPU matter depends on what next gen apps need. Given that most of you clearly are not developers and will not know how to take advantage of half a core in your head or phone, please stop the pointless noise.

• Reply 64 of 175
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I really don't think that you can treat phones the way that computers used to be treated with these spec wars. It's a phone... if it works well then that's all the customer will worry about. It's going to be a very small percentage of customers who actually give a shit about how fast it runs.

jmho

I agree with you.  The CPU spec war is more relevant on tablets than phones.

• Reply 65 of 175
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I agree with you.  The CPU spec war is more relevant on tablets than phones.

That's just misguided on so many levels.

• Reply 66 of 175
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Disappointing A9 quad core cant be use by the OS or apps and Mali 400 GPU is old and underpowered. I agree that A15 dual core is the future and the A5X GPU for mobile. Rogue 6 looks like it might be to power hungry for mobile phones but might work on tablets. The same problem for the A5X chip on a phone, IMHO iphone 5 will have a A5X chip Dual core on both CPU and GPU. And will beat this chip handily...

A dual core A5X is just an A5.  The only difference in the X, are those two extra GPU cores.

I don't know why people are so against more powerful GPUs. The Vita has the same GPU as the iPad 3 and seems to be producing some nice visuals with it. 

Bring on the power I say, and start porting X360 games to the iPhone with no loss in quality.

• Reply 67 of 175
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Of course but Sammy is claiming to stand apart from the iSheep with a phone they never show; a little originality would be good when you make such a boast. 

• Reply 68 of 175

Improvements in chip performance are temporary advantages. Even when you have the fastest chip, you grow used to the performance quickly and stop thinking about it until some developer comes up with software that chokes your favorite ride because they either don't know how to program properly or don't care that you have to buy new hardware to run their app.

• Reply 69 of 175
    hattighattig Posts: 860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Funny how the press release (and even Samsung's website for the new quad core Exynos) say nothing about the GPU. Someone above finally mentioned Mali-400, which is a good guess. If this new quad does indeed come with Mali-400 then we know why.

Simply put, Mali-400 sucks. I doubt the new Exynos will even be able to beat the A5 in the iPad 2, and won't be anywhere near the A5X. What Samsung has is an Ivy Bridge. Smoking fast CPU with integrated graphics while Apple is using external gaming video cards with their CPU's (figuratively speaking).

The Samsung Galaxy SII with a 45nm Exynos SoC uses a quad-core Mali-400, and it is one of the better performing mobile phone GPUs out there.

There's no reason to believe that this new 32nm Exynos will have gone backwards, so it's either a faster quad-core Mail-400, an octo-core Mali-400, or a more modern Mali - T604 probably.

• Reply 70 of 175
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple fanboys probably think consumers do not care about the number of cores, since Apple lags behind in the numbers of cores.

But if Apple releases a quad core phone first, all Apple fanboys will be cheering.

No, the Apple fans will cheer when they see Apple note and demonstrate a practical use of the higher spec.  A higher spec does not mean anything unless it translates to something that the non-geeks understand, whether it's speed, performance, graphics, etc.  Sammy has to do better than make some bad space video, use music from Mass Effect 2, and joke about the iSheep. Show a product and demonstrate how it stands apart and if it's only in specs but otherwise is no better performing than the Android phone of the previous week or month, who cares except the spec geeks lathering up about dual core vice core.

• Reply 71 of 175
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    <p> Did they really need to take a stab at the Apple-loving masses by showing a flock/herd of sheep at the end? So frickin' high school.</p><p>  </p><p> (I really wish I had the option of throwing a "no" or "roll eyes" emoticon at the end of my sentence. It sure has made this board vanilla and lifeless.)</p>
    since tallest_skil put emoticons in a post... i assume that knowing the html code for the emoticon of choice "is just the ticket"
  • Reply 72 of 175
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

No, the Apple fans will cheer when they see Apple note and demonstrate a practical use of the higher spec.  A higher spec does not mean anything unless it translates to something that the non-geeks understand, whether it's speed, performance, graphics, etc.  Sammy has to do better than make some bad space video, use music from Mass Effect 2, and joke about the iSheep. Show a product and demonstrate how it stands apart and if it's only in specs but otherwise is no better performing than the Android phone of the previous week or month, who cares except the spec geeks lathering up about dual core vice core.

Dude, how many times do I have to post this, outsourcing music for a commercial is nothing new. Look at Apple's use of unoriginal music in their commercials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_used_by_Apple_Inc.

• Reply 73 of 175
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHD View Post

Not just MSNBC, even Apple pal ABC and just about every news agency in the world has covered the famous iPhone 4S battery drainage problem.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/iphone-4s-battery-issue-apple-investigates-battery-drains/story?id=14856911#.T5k479lLOSo

On Apple’s support forum the “ iPhone 4S Battery Life” thread is over 800 pages long LOL.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18222968#18222968

So? They've sold 100 million iPhones. There will be a few unhappy people - and the press always does this with Apple. There was antenna-gate. Batterygate. Syncgate. Broken-glass-gate. And a million other petty complaints that never turned out to be relevant.

As for the Apple support forum, the way those things go is that if there are 8,000 posts:

3,000 of them will be the same person whining after every other post about how evil Apple is (probably at $1.00 per post from Google).

4,000 of them will be people saying "It isn't a problem for me"

500 of them will be people saying "Ha Ha, look at the Apple fanboys denying that there's a problem"

400 of them will be people who don't even own a phone and simply repeating what they've read on Android forums

and 

100 of them will be people who really have a problem - all of whom could have the problem fixed by simply taking the phone to their Apple Store.

• Reply 74 of 175
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    From what I have seen, most reviewers acknowledge that where some of the android and other non apple phone beat the iphone on specs, the IOS optimizations surpass the hardware specs generally in performance.
  • Reply 75 of 175

Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

I had a non-techie friend recently go to buy an iPhone and she got talked into buying an HTC One X by the salesperson. When I asked her why, she said it was quad core and the iPhone is only dual core. I was going to press her on why anyone would care if their phone is quad core vs. dual core but didn't want to make her feel bad about her purchase. The problem is that the salespeople are paid to shill for these phones and "quad core" is one more talking point they can use to convince a customer to buy it vs. an iPhone (same with megapixels, screen size, etc). It shouldn't be like that but it frequently is.

That is the problem... sales people get more spiffs/commissions from companies other than Apple and if they have a talking point to sell something that gives them a higher commission then they'll go for it.

Of course you also have all the twits who are going to go nuts when Apple offers a quad core processor and twits who are going to say, "I thought Apple didn't give a shit about specs", but then it would be obvious that they didn't have the brain matter available to understand what I meant by my comment. You obviously did.

• Reply 76 of 175
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

I had a non-techie friend recently go to buy an iPhone and she got talked into buying an HTC One X by the salesperson. When I asked her why, she said it was quad core and the iPhone is only dual core. I was going to press her on why anyone would care if their phone is quad core vs. dual core but didn't want to make her feel bad about her purchase. The problem is that the salespeople are paid to shill for these phones and "quad core" is one more talking point they can use to convince a customer to buy it vs. an iPhone (same with megapixels, screen size, etc). It shouldn't be like that but it frequently is.

You should have told her. She could have chosen to return it and buy an iPhone instead.

• Reply 77 of 175
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So? They've sold 100 million iPhones. There will be a few unhappy people - and the press always does this with Apple. There was antenna-gate. Batterygate. Syncgate. Broken-glass-gate. And a million other petty complaints that never turned out to be relevant.

As for the Apple support forum, the way those things go is that if there are 8,000 posts:

3,000 of them will be the same person whining after every other post about how evil Apple is (probably at $1.00 per post from Google).

4,000 of them will be people saying "It isn't a problem for me"

500 of them will be people saying "Ha Ha, look at the Apple fanboys denying that there's a problem"

400 of them will be people who don't even own a phone and simply repeating what they've read on Android forums

and 

100 of them will be people who really have a problem - all of whom could have the problem fixed by simply taking the phone to their Apple Store.

Did Google pay Steve Wozniak, Co-Founder of Apple, to also say the 4S battery sux.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/01/16/woz-talks-siri-4s-android/

• Reply 78 of 175

Here is Samsung's version of MS' iPhone funeral~~ all this does is drive potential customers away.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/04/26/samsung.uses.guerilla.ads.for.galaxy.s.iii.run.up/

• Reply 79 of 175
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is the average consumer who buys a phone even going to know what the heck quad core means?

No, not any more than they understand what dual overhead cams or four barrel carburetors do but in their mind 4 is better than 2.

Funny thing is that adding more cores has almost no advantage unless the application software is optimized to use it efficiently. In fact unless the programs and compilers are reworked and reconfigured from the ground up to take advantage of the additional cores all you have is more battery drain for no performance gain.

• Reply 80 of 175
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

since tallest_skil put emoticons in a post... i assume that knowing the html code for the emoticon of choice "is just the ticket"

Oh, the laugh works for me. I don't know what you guys can see, but the laugh is the only one not broken over here.

Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 11.17.03 AM.png

And why's the window so big? I'd be fine with it if the whole thing was filled with a wider range of emoticons, but it doesn't seem to serve any purpose when we only have eighteen of them.