New part numbers reveal Apple to refresh most of Mac lineup at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 101 of 131

I've been reading all this speculation on the "D2" items being MBP's.  When I look at this list, seems to me that all the Jxx items would be MacBook variations... and the D2's probably iMacs (D for desktop).

Thus you would then have:

J30--13" MBP

J31--15"MBP

J11--11" Air

J13--13" Air

Just my take on the list.

• Reply 102 of 131
    td912td912 Posts: 26member

I don't think AppleInsider's guesses match up to the pricing very well. Comparing to the current Apple Australia pricing, the new 15" MBP's pricing would make it quite a bit more expensive than the current lineup. Unless that pricing chart is incomplete, the base 15" model would cost the same as the current high-end 15", and the new high-end 15" would cost even more than the current 17". Unless the 13" MBP gets a significant upgrade or there's a lower-end 15" MBP or something, this would leave a huge gap in between the current 13" MBA (A$1800) and new 15" MBP (A$2500). I don't see Apple completely revamping their entire pricing scheme any time soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlen Carlson View Post

I've been reading all this speculation on the "D2" items being MBP's.  When I look at this list, seems to me that all the Jxx items would be MacBook variations... and the D2's probably iMacs (D for desktop).

Thus you would then have:

J30--13" MBP

J31--15"MBP

J11--11" Air

J13--13" Air

Just my take on the list.

This does seem to make more sense, and it more closely matches Apple's current pricing in Australia.

Maybe Apple will go "all Pro" at WWDC and only revamp their Pro line? Maybe the "D2" is a new product? Maybe Apple will keep the current MBP design and make "D2" the "Thin 15" MBP"? This would place it between the current 15" and 17" models... Or maybe this new "D2" will replace the 17"? Or maybe the "D2" isn't a laptop at all but is part of a new Mac Pro lineup? Just a bunch of random guesses.

• Reply 103 of 131
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No 15" MBA!?

That would be a HUGE disappointment if true.

For me, it's either 15" MBA or Samsung Series 9 15"..   Series 9 doesn't look that bad, but will probably have to run hackintosh on it.

• Reply 104 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

The Mac Pro part numbers here match up with the 9to5 Mac Pro numbers.  Corroborating evidence? 

Undoubtedly corroborating. But "evidence"? How hard is it to fake?

• Reply 105 of 131
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Not only homes... Years ago (1980's, before WiFi) we installed a twisted pair (1 Gb) LAN in the Marin Civic Center building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

The building has a central atrium surrounded by offices with solid walls facing the atrium and window walls facing the exterior.

Because it is an historical site, we were not allowed to drill any holes or have any exposed cable... Fun install.

Places like this would kill for WiFi.

It just go to show that someone who is a genius in one era can potentially fail to recognize the needs of future generations. FLW understood that a building would require electricity but had he been a true visionary he would have designed larger conduits into each space anticipating the need for communications infrastructure. FAIL!

• Reply 106 of 131
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member

Updates are good. ivy bridge man. twice the gpu power and retina displays hopefully. Oh and iOS is supposed to get more integrated with the messaging app, as well as it's bluetooth sharing functions across macs and iDevices. It won't be long before apple starts designing log on screens with picture slide shows across the iPhones lock screen and Macs.

• Reply 107 of 131
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I agree 100%. I just ordered a new Mac Pro this morning. I can't wait for it to arrive.

So you'll be missing out on the new Mac Pro... good for you.. nothing like buying 2 year old hardware just before they upgrade everything. So we should all just buy 4S' instead of the new iPhone when they come out... what?!

• Reply 108 of 131
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

What's with the dorky "better/best/ultimate" monikers? What is this, Sears?

Very un-Apple like, if you ask me.

It's actually been how Apple differentiates between models for many, many years.

• Reply 109 of 131
    I would like to have an updated fast (ultimate) Mini or iMac 21" and 15" Air Pro. No less. Those multiple new SKUs really wet me deep.
  • Reply 110 of 131
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

As the article says, the list does not cover all Mac models. For example there are only 2 models of Macbook Pro. I wonder if the common factor is Retina display (with the exception of the Mac Pro since it is headless)?

• Reply 111 of 131
    amtiamti Posts: 19member

One possibility of that pricing is that the J30 & 31 models could be upgrades to the internals (including screen) of the current form 13 & 15" MBP, with the D2 models being premium retina MBA versions of 15". The J11 & 13 models would be upgrades to existing Airs, with iMac upgrades soon to follow (possibly delayed due to supply constraints on an improved screen, and/or wanting to give the new Mac Pro a chance for some exposure?).

So it looks like this

D2   -  $2499  - 15" MBA (base model)

D2   -  $3199  - 15" MBA (premium model)

J30  -  $1349  -  13" MBP (base)

J30  -  $1689  -  13" MBP (premium)

J31  -  $1999  -  15" MBP (base)

J31  -  $2499  -  15" MBP (premium)

J11  -  $1099  -  11" MBA (base)

J11  -  $1249  -  11" MBA (premium)

J13  -  $1349  -  13" MBA (base)

J13  -  $1689  -  13" MBA (premium)

In this scenario the 13" Air and Pro have the same price. Could be explained by the Air coming with an SSD as standard, and the MBP with a HDD.

••••••••••••••

A longer shot is that the D2 is a Mini-tower (a 'Mac Mini Pro'?), and the J31 is a 15" MBA.

• Reply 112 of 131
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder how the graphics card is going to work since the only display Apple makes is Thunderbolt.

They make a version of the exact same display with a mini-display port input:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC007LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ

Why anyone would spend $1000.00 on an  Apple display is beyond me, buy you can get one if you want.

• Reply 113 of 131
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    techguy911 wrote: »
    The Mac Pro part numbers here match up with the 9to5 Mac Pro numbers.  Corroborating evidence? 

Interesting thing, the 9to5 image has the phrase ai-sucks in the title. There seems to be some bad feelings here so I'm guessing one party has ripped off the other party's info without credit. That may explain the match.

As for the guesses on the products, they mostly seem to be based off the pricing lists, which aren't shown in the photo but appear to have been disclosed separately.

The rumour about the 17" being discontinued would hold up in this case. The Mini is typically referred to as best, better, ultimate with the Mini Server being the Ultimate model but if the price list is accurate, it makes more sense to be the Mac Pro. Question is, where is the Mini then?

GPU upgrades are sometimes called standalone kit but the price list doesn't match up with this, there's also parts like this:

http://store.apple.com/au_smb_4860/product/MB363ZP/A

The first item on the list has been guessed as the Airport Express but this could be one of the standalone kits and the Mini is the first item. No reason why there would just be one model though.

We'll find out soon enough.
  • Reply 114 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris v View Post

Why anyone would spend $1000.00 on an  Apple display is beyond me, buy you can get one if you want.

Because the same panel in PC displays either costs the same or more, and those monitors don't have a camera, microphone, or speakers… 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder how the graphics card is going to work since the only display Apple makes is Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt on the logic board, a fully integrated, non-upgradable 7xxx series GPU, or the first cards with Thunderbolt.

• Reply 115 of 131
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Because the same panel in PC displays either costs the same or more, and those monitors don't have a camera, microphone, or speakers… 

Thunderbolt on the logic board, a fully integrated, non-upgradable 7xxx series GPU, or the first cards with Thunderbolt.

AnandTech recently reviewed an inexpensive display that uses the same panel as the 27" Mac displays. At $350 I guess it looks pretty good but the build quality is much lower which could easily affect its longevity if other components aren't good. It has no Thunderbolt or any other inputs so I guess you need to also buy that Belkin dock at $400 to mimic most of the features you get with Apple's solution, as well as an adapter from the HDMI-to-DL-DVI (can HDMI do DL-DVI?) They also spent $30 to guarantee a display with no dead pixels. If something does go wrong how do you get it fixed under warranty? When you add it all up it just makes more sense to go with the ATD.

• Reply 116 of 131
    tmallontmallon Posts: 39member

2499 for the cheapest 15 macbook pro   whoa,,  I guess i won't be buying.. 1800-1900 seems to be a better price point, with desent specs

• Reply 117 of 131
    td912td912 Posts: 26member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amti View Post

One possibility of that pricing is that the J30 & 31 models could be upgrades to the internals (including screen) of the current form 13 & 15" MBP, with the D2 models being premium retina MBA versions of 15", the J11 & 13 models upgrades to existing Airs, and iMac upgrades soon to follow (possibly delayed due to supply constraints on an improved screen, and/or wanting to give the new Mac Pro a chance for some exposure?).

Yeah, basically what I said before. I was also thinking something along the lines of this. It's still all just speculation at this point, but it makes more sense than leaving a A$700 gap in between the MBA and MBP. The base 15" MBP apparently sold really well for Apple, so I doubt they would just get rid of it and replace it with something that costs $500 more.

Another thing people have to remember is that these are Australian dollars, so these prices should be compared to the current Australian pricing, not US.

Well, I guess we'll see in a few days...

• Reply 118 of 131
    tmallontmallon Posts: 39member

But I want to know today, I can't sleep till i know....   image

• Reply 119 of 131
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    tmallon wrote: »
    2499 for the cheapest 15 macbook pro   whoa,,  I guess i won't be buying.. 1800-1900 seems to be a better price point, with desent specs

There's something not right with the price list, either it's incomplete or the prices themselves are made up or both. There is a gap of A$810 (Australian dollars remember) between the supposed 13" Air and entry 15" MBP and the prices suggest the highest MBP is A$300 more than the current 17" on the Australian Store, which is ridiculous.

If we assume the photo is genuine, it's clear that the two D2 models start A$2k and A$3k. Currently, no other model in the AU Store has those price tags except the Mac Pro (all prices include tax too). Not having an ultimate model means no special Mac Pro Server model. Maybe nobody buys them for server use any more.

My guess would be single processor model starting at A$2,999 and dual processor model at A$3,999. Any other models are BTO in the same category.

The J30 and 31 models seem like the 4 iMac models.

The J11 and J13 models seem to me like 2x 13" models and 2x 15" models. The lower number in the past refers to the higher size too so J11 = 15". The reasoning for this would be that ULV chips suck and they wouldn't be able to use anything higher in an 11". Solution: scrap the 11", bring a redesigned 13" MBP into its place with standard Ivy Bridge chips. Like the old Macbooks basically.

The two 15" models would also be redesigned in an Air style but with quad-i7 chips.

The naming would then go back to Macbook and Macbook Pro. Pricing, something like: A$1099, A$1399, A$1699, A$2099

The last 3 items on the list would be the Mac Mini models with Ultimate being the Mini Server model.
  • Reply 120 of 131
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not having an ultimate model means no special Mac Pro Server model. Maybe nobody buys them for server use any more.

My guess would be single processor model starting at A$2,999 and dual processor model at A$3,999. Any other models are BTO in the same category.

The server model isn't anything special or dramatically different. It could be provided via cto options for  OSX server without making it a different selection.