Microsoft unveils 'Surface' Windows 8 tablet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 513
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

They could have really killed it with XBox integration. But in typical Microsoft fashion they half-assed it. Where's the content? Where's the battery life? Where's the ship date? Where's the price?

We already know it has Xbox integration because it runs Windows 8.

We already know what apps it runs. The basic model will run only Metro apps, while the Pro model will run any Windows app (in Metro or Desktop mode).

• Reply 42 of 513
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

A lot of people are going to look at this and wonder why they need both an iPad and a MacBook when they can have one device that does both things for much less money. 

Which will do neither very well. 

• Reply 43 of 513
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The hardware looks interesting, the keyboard cover is very clever.

gosh, where have i seen something like that before? hmmm, maybe from Logitech, the (beautiful) Ultrathin iPad cover you can buy today? but yeah, that's smaller. 'cause you don't need a trackpad on it too.

• Reply 44 of 513
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member

Steve Ballmer brings the term 'doofus' to life. Here we have photographical evidence.

• Reply 45 of 513
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by csuess View Post

Yes, it's a tablet!

tablet_1.jpg

Balmer practising for his next career as a waiter if this thing tanks lol

• Reply 46 of 513

I love the magnetic stylus that snaps to the side of the Surface tablet.  It also recharges it via inductance.  So not only can I lose a stylus but it requires a battery and recharging?  They advertised the keyboard cover then later on state that you can get a "real" keyboard as the cover is so thin there isn't much in the way of key travel if at all you can just feel the key caps but they don't move or hardly move so you can get a more traditional keyboard that is thicker.  

I've been testing the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for the new iPad and it's pretty darn good.  Best Bluetooth keyboard there is for portability and battery life (months worth).  Connects just like the Surface keyboard cover but it doesn't fold behind as it's not made of rubber.  

Main selling points of the iPad are as follows: 

- Light and Thin

- Instant On and Crazy Battery Life

- Insane resolution screen (Surface is 1080p on Pro)

- Doesn't get hot (yes it gets warm in one place on one side but never hot)

- Leave it in your carry-on bag when going through security checkpoints.

• Reply 47 of 513
    archer75archer75 Posts: 204member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

They could have really killed it with XBox integration. But in typical Microsoft fashion they half-assed it. Where's the content? Where's the battery life? Where's the ship date? Where's the price?

It has xbox intergration via smartglass announced at E3.  It will ship with windows 8 later this year.  What content are you after?  You have a very nice touch interface on top but underneath is a standard windows desktop.  You can run apps made for either.  

• Reply 47 of 513
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

OMG!  Microsoft needs to stay out of the hardware business.

They can't make up their minds whether to make a desktop, a laptop, a netbook or a tablet.

They try to fit all 4 in there and it all FUBAR.

Oh well.  Thanks for playing but it will be DOA.

• Reply 49 of 513
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    An iPad is already enough to do any thing.
  • Reply 50 of 513

Can you imagine how slow (and hot) it's going to run once it's loaded up with all the necessary Windows crud that you need to stay safe, like resource hogging anti-virus, firewalls, etc.

And, what was that? No cellular connectivity? Only Wifi?

And it's got a twin mimo wifi aerial? Woopydo. Still won't stretch further than the end of your back yard.

So basically it's essentially a touch screen netbook with a detachable membrane 'keyboard' similar to a Sinclair ZX81. THAT's going to be SO fun to 'type' on...

• Reply 51 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

l.php.gifverge-lb-695.jpg

... wow, is that real or is someone having some photoshop fun?

• Reply 52 of 513

I think it's adorable when MS tries to be Apple. 

They're so lame it's almost cute. 

• Reply 53 of 513
    ssls6ssls6 Posts: 49member

Why would you turn a tablet into a laptop?  Wow, that dumb in my opinion.  If I had a surface to use a kickstand and keyboard, I would use a laptop.  In tablet mode, it is too big and thick, in laptop mode, you need a kickstand?  stupid.

Why not call it the "ultra book with touch screen?"

• Reply 54 of 513
    faytfayt Posts: 3member

Looks great actually.  Not sure why some people here are bashing it.  Does it look similar to an iPad?  Sure.  But it's a very different machine software-wise, and from the looks of it, it'll be much more capable as a laptop replacement with the versatility of a tablet.  That sounds good from where I'm at.

• Reply 55 of 513
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Source: Engadget

Surface 2

Not the most flattering photo I bet. Honestly you would think they would get some professional photos done to show on the presentation. I hope it looks better in the flesh.

• Reply 56 of 513
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Microsoft should stage a funeral parade for the iPad!

Microssoft-iPhone-Funeral2.jpg

It appears the true battle between Microsoft and Apple has begun.

(Note, the font in the above lines are heavily coated with three luscious coats of sarcasm)

Screen Shot 2012-06-19 at 10.41.05 AM.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njos57IJf-0&list=FLWBsW-JQH0cnzDs0iPmrH-Q&index=3&feature=plpp_video

• Reply 57 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Not the most flattering photo I bet. Honestly you would think they would get some professional photos done to show on the presentation. I hope it looks better in the flesh.

One word:  Zune. 

This thing is a disaster in the making. 

• Reply 58 of 513
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Everyone on the tech blogs is drooling over this and calling Apple's smart cover now a dumb cover. But I wonder what it will be like to type on this thing. The CW is that Apple needs to be afraid of this, but I'm thinking Microsoft screwed over all the OEM's committed to Windows 8 tablets a they'll be competing with Microsoft's own tablet. And Google as Android tablets are probably dead now.

"everyone on the tech blogs" = stupid Winfans. this Surface tablet has hopeless schiziophrenia. it can't decide if it is a confused laptop (the trackpad) or a confused tablet (the touchscreen). this is the same old MS kitchen sink strategy. i like it. i like it a lot.

• Reply 59 of 513
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Quote:

Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

l.php.gifverge-lb-695.jpg

Gorilla ass!

• Reply 60 of 513
    gatortpkgatortpk Posts: 33member
    neiltc13 wrote: »
    A lot of people are going to look at this and wonder why they need both an iPad and a MacBook when they can have one device that does both things for much less money. 

I'd rather have two things that can do what each does best than one thing that can so everything less than half as good. I still don't see iOS and OS X merging for quite a while. They are just good by themselves.

If MS can pull this off, I'll be incredibly impressed! I wouldn't even worry about the 2 hour battery life since I seem to keep things plugged in anyway. The major problem is that this runs Windows. I've installed Windows (including Windows 8 and ran it on my iPad) on my Macs in virtual machines, but I end up never using them except for occasional telephone tech support.