Microsoft unveils 'Surface' Windows 8 tablet

Comments

• Reply 421 of 513
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

So is Windows 8 Touch or keyboard/mouse OS or both?

Oh, all things to all people?

So pros use keyboards with Intel and dilettantes use ARM with touch?

Is the kickstand adjustable?

Are the edges uncomfortable?

What would Mondrian say about the Win 8's aesthetic? 

Is Win RT really that slow and unresponsive? 

Is the Surface tablet Microsoft vaporware?

• Reply 422 of 513
    kevinn206kevinn206 Posts: 117member

Well I guess it makes sense that you don't know what alternative method of input means. 

• Reply 423 of 513
    kevinn206kevinn206 Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No. The iPad doesn't need one because it has no on-screen cursor. Unlike the laptop with a detachable keyboard Microsoft proudly trotted out on stage as a "tablet."

Well I guess it makes sense that you don't know what alternative method of inputs means.

Windows 8 tablet, you can CHOOSE to use which method is best for each scenario:

1. External keyboard with multitouch trackpad (cursor support)

2. Onscreen keyboard with full multitouch support

If I am writing a long document within Word, then I would use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Why? Because the mouse has the highest precision and accuracy, and you don't actually need to move your arm up to the screen.

If I am browsing through pictures album, then I'll most likely use my finger.

Does that make sense?
  • Reply 424 of 513
    Is that it? Just 420 posts?
  • Reply 425 of 513

I am actually glad Microsoft is making this attempt with the surface.  While it is not a product I would purchase, it is what all the Apple haters have been clamoring for.  It is going to either validate Apple's vision or create some real competition maybe getting features into Apple products that I would also like to see.  While my investment dollars are with Apple and not Microsoft( and I've done alright I would say), welcome to the game.  We will see just how right all the Apple haters are and then have a whole lot of fun on the discussion boards.  My problem with Microsoft is if they want to be a truly great, significantly relevant company again and not an also ran, they need to get back to their real roots that Bill Gates and Paul allen founded the company on.  Make great software and programming tools that run on as many platforms as possible.  Remember Microsoft on every desktop as a goal?  They have that chance not by not trying to control every paradigm but make great apps for all platforms.  If they wrote a truly compelling Office for the iPad they would make a ton of money.  Imagine Flight Simulator on the iPad or android or the Mac for that matter not to mention the latest Halo.  Another ton of money.  They can be significant without controlling everything.  So could Apple for that matter.  I don't use Microsoft products because most of their compelling products are not available on my preferred platforms.  I just wish they would be a great software company again.  While they have had some good products they have been a platform company since about 1990.

• Reply 426 of 513
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Is that it? Just 420 posts?

420??

I thought somebody must be high when I saw the introduction of the Surface.

• Reply 427 of 513
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

A lot of the comments here strike me as eerily reminiscent of what was said by Apple critics when the iPad launched.  Heck, I was skeptical myself of the iPad (expected more of an OSX type of product).  We all know how that worked out.

I think the MS strategy is a lot smarter than many (here and elsewhere) are giving MS credit for.

Think of how a typical consumer (not your average loaded Apple customer  readily willing to part with $1000 for a laptop) shops for a computer.  They go to their local electronics store with a budget in mind.  Most people today buy cheapo laptops or tiny netbooks.  If they really want portability and are willing to trade functionality, they'll get an iPad.  Can they do productive work on an iPad? Sure.  Is it a compromise?  Most definitely.  Let's face it. Most of the real world uses MS Office, transfers files on USB sticks occassionally. Etc.  Now what if somebody was to tell you that you could get a tablet that converts into a laptop with a much bigger screen than a netbook, has USB ports, a decent sized keyboard and comes pre-loaded with MS Office for about $600?  Still interested in that cheapo, slow, bulky, $500 laptop, that tiny netbook or that $500 iPad?   

Now on the Windows 8 side, here's the problem: most ultrabooks still aren't close to competing with Apple on the MacBook Air.  The smart thing to do is not to compete with the Air.  It's to do what Apple did: change the paradigm.  The advantage of the Air is its portability (compared to traditional laptops).  The disadvantage is that it's still not as portable as a tablet.  What if you could get both in one platform…for less?

The two pronged OS strategy, while not optimal, is not nuts either.  Apple has lead the way here.  Nobody buying a $500 tablet expects to run Crysis on it.  They buy it to surf the net, check Facebook, and maybe do a bit word processing.  The Surface RT, pre-loaded with Office, has everything they need.  Put on an app store (Windows Marketplace), and they'll buy fully compatible software from there rather than Best Buy.  We know that model works.  Apple proved it with the iPad.

And when they are ready to scale up, well, they'll have a more capable Windows 8 machine.  Their apps might not be transferable.  But their data will.  So will app licences from the app store.  The familiar look-and-feel from their tablet to laptop to desktop will be a big selling point. 

As for availability and price.  They did roughly state availability.  Surface RT with the Windows RT launch and Surface Pro will come 3 months later.  Not revealing price was the right thing to do.  They are giving their OEM partners a chance to respond with their hardware.  They'll have to price in such a way so as not to undercut their OEM partners.  That's why they are being so cagey.

And all the complaints about specs.  Funny that so many Macheads are starting to talk about specs.  Y'all sound like Windows users.  USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0?  Really?  For a $500 tablet?  Who the f…. cares?  MS is finally learning from Apple.  They are talking about the experience.  They are talking about a decent keyboard, portability, etc.  The only spec I'm waiting to see is battery life.  I expect though, that they haven't yet nailed down the specs.  And that the hardware may change by launch time.

Is this some iPad killer? Probably not.  Could it slow iPad sales growth?  Maybe.  I could easily see the Surface RT becoming the standard home/student laptop/tablet.  Very rare are the people who'd buy both an iPad and a cheap laptop for MS Office when they could have both in one device.  Once you get locked in with data and apps purchases, it'll be harder to switch.  You can defeat the competition by poaching their customers or by starving your competition of new customers.  MS isn't going to get anybody to give up their iPad any time soon.  But they just might convince some potential iPad buyers that they can have their cake and eat it too with a Windows tablet.  It's worth a shot for them.  We'll see if it delivers.  But one thing is for sure...MS just killed netbooks, ultrabooks and probably Android tablets.

Heck, even if the Surface tablets flop in sales itself, if it convinces Microsoft's OEM partners to make products in line with this new design direction and MS gets to sell tons of Windows RT and Windows 8 licenses, it'll be a success for MS.

• Reply 428 of 513
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

Well I guess it makes sense that you don't know what alternative method of inputs means.

Windows 8 tablet, you can CHOOSE to use which method is best for each scenario:

1. External keyboard with multitouch trackpad (cursor support)

2. Onscreen keyboard with full multitouch support

If I am writing a long document within Word, then I would use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Why? Because the mouse has the highest precision and accuracy, and you don't actually need to move your arm up to the screen.

If I am browsing through pictures album, then I'll most likely use my finger.

Does that make sense?

Yes. But if you are a developer, which interface do you write to? Do you orient toward a touch UI and thus limit your sales to desktop & laptop owners? Or do you write for a mouse & keyboard interface thus making the touch portion neglected? And don't say both, because sometimes they are mutually exclusive. And most developers (even MS) don't have the resources to design a UI twice for essentially the same platform.

I believe that by giving users and developers the choice of either, the UI will end up some awkward blend of the two. People will get frustrated that apps aren't well-designed for either input paradigm.

MS had tablets many years ago, but they made the same mistake of bolting the desktop UI onto it. Apple forced a touch UI and people embraced it. Yes, there are times when typing or precision pointing are required, but those are much smaller than the general look, feel, and personality of the user experience.

• Reply 429 of 513
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

423 comments?  You AAPL people must be pretty upset right about now. 

I'm going to be the voice of reason here and say from what I've seen, this blows away the iPad from every software and hardware point I can think of.  The only advantage Apple holds is number of apps.  Microsoft did some serious innovation here.  I think this will be my first tablet.

• Reply 430 of 513
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    rtm135 wrote: »

About what? 
    I'm going to be the voice of reason here and say from what I've seen, this blows away the iPad from every software and hardware point I can think of.

They showed no hardware, they showed no software.

This is terrible trolling.
    Microsoft did some serious innovation here. 

Yes, they're the first in the industry to create a tablet with no specs, no software, no price, no release date, and no hope.
  • Reply 431 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Yes. But if you are a developer, which interface do you write to? Do you orient toward a touch UI and thus limit your sales to desktop & laptop owners? Or do you write for a mouse & keyboard interface thus making the touch portion neglected? And don't say both, because sometimes they are mutually exclusive. And most developers (even MS) don't have the resources to design a UI twice for essentially the same platform.

I believe that by giving users and developers the choice of either, the UI will end up some awkward blend of the two. People will get frustrated that apps aren't well-designed for either input paradigm.

The answer to your question is really very obvious.

What do developers of desktop applications do today?

They have their desktop app and if they find it necessary or usefull, they have another application for a mobile world.  On iOs and Android.

It's not any different on windows 8.  You have a desktop application in which you can do things that you couldn't do with touch alone.  And if necessary or usefull, you can create a metro app as well for mobile use. 

If you are a web developer... then nothing changes.  Your sites work on both.  Unless you use flash, then it only works on the Surface tablet :P

• Reply 432 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

I'm going to be the voice of reason here and say from what I've seen, this blows away the iPad from every software and hardware point I can think of.  The only advantage Apple holds is number of apps.  Microsoft did some serious innovation here.  I think this will be my first tablet.

That's always a bad sign.

• Reply 433 of 513
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

it's right up there with "Not to be a dick but..." and "Not to sound racist but..."
  • Reply 434 of 513

Actually this product has a good chance of hurting the iPad and Apple. Apple has done next to nothing to make the iPad a productivity tool for businesses. The iPad is not a replacement for someone who wants to get serious work done, but take it on the road. You still need a laptop for that. The Windows 8 version of Surface, that will run all Windows applications, is definitely an iPad-killer for those who want the form factor of a tablet with all of the software and hardware flexibility to create killer content, do business on the road, have all the familiar PC amenities, etc.

It's time for an iPad "Pro" that will run a full version of OS X.

• Reply 435 of 513
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

About what?  About the beginning of the end.  Microsoft finally stepped up their game and produced a tablet that beats the iPad in every conceivable way.  Corporate America and government is going to love these things because they will play beautifully with the zillions of WINDOWS PCs already entrenched.

Are you blind?  They showed two models, Surface and Surface Pro, which was their response to the iPad 2 and 3.  Hypocrite, much?  Apple doesn't focus on specs so why should they?  Instead they focused on how they innovated on every piece of the tablet.  Can't believe how impressed I was.  Even their smart covers kick the crap out of Apple's.  That's how much thought they actually put into this. 

Calling me a troll is terrible moderation on your part.  I know 8 year olds that are more mature.  You really should step down and let someone who's less of a zealot moderate.  You only bring this place and Apple down with your "head-in-the-sand" commentary.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

About what? 

Quote:

I'm going to be the voice of reason here and say from what I've seen, this blows away the iPad from every software and hardware point I can think of.

They showed no hardware, they showed no software.

This is terrible trolling.

Quote:

Microsoft did some serious innovation here. 

Yes, they're the first in the industry to create a tablet with no specs, no software, no price, no release date, and no hope.

• Reply 436 of 513
    kevinn206 wrote: »
    Well I guess it makes sense that you don't know what alternative method of input means. 

That's a silly thing to say to an Apple user. Apple shipped the mouse and GUI OS with on-screen pointer before Microsoft shipped Windows 1.0. Apple also shipped the first laptop with a touchpad. What makes you think I know nothing of these?

Touch is not an "alternative." It's central to what Apple's vision of the tablet user experience is all about. It's not one fearful foot in the past and one tepid foot in the future. Apple went all in with touch on the iPad. They didn't try to make it a laptop with a touchscreen or a tablet with a touchpad and keyboard. I suspect you understand that, but fail to appreciate it.
  • Reply 437 of 513

They always say they are "rational" or "reasonable" or "logical" on these forums and then attack everyone as "zealots" or "immature" or "irrational fanboys". Wasn't there one who used the handle LogicAndReason or something very similar...?

Also, the letter ZZZ... always a bad sign.
  • Reply 438 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

I own an hdmi dongle.  Have used it more than once.  No point purchasing an appletv when outside of USA its functionality is poor.

My 8TB WHS has multiple GB of movies, music, and the likes.  Attempting to have an ipad work with it is an exercise in pain.  But its less painful than the linux server prior to that.

So a dongle is a hassle, cables are dangerous, but carting a appletv around, /hoping to be connected into corporate wifi, and then still needing to plug in an hdmi cable, is better? 

Complaining about VGA being outdated doesnt change anything. The garbage dell i am typing this on can attach to any projector worldwide, while the macbook its left cannot, without an additional dongle.

MATE STOP LIVING IN THE 90s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Australia how is appleTV outside of USA poor? I have watched the whole series of Stargate Atlantis thru Apple TV and use it to stream AFL footy from my Mac and listen to music and countless other things.

I own a Linux NAS, QNAP TS 212 that cost little and uses LInux on an ARM chip, and have had no problems using it with my IOS devices.  File Explorer is a great program that enables me to transfer, delete or do whatever I like between the NAS and devices.

If an organisation is modern and sensible they would have up-to date projectors with HDMI, and if they are even smarter connect an Apple TV to them.  People could do presentations in a room without having to leave their seat and trip over cables. Companies living in the 90s with bulky VGA projectors and old tech aren't impressive and people working in the company (coming from experience working in IT) would feel this "cheapskate vibe" in the company, lose moral and want to leave, hence why the BYOD is so popular at the moment.

• Reply 439 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

About what?  About the beginning of the end.  Microsoft finally stepped up their game and produced a tablet that beats the iPad in every conceivable way.  Corporate America and government is going to love these things because they will play beautifully with the zillions of WINDOWS PCs already entrenched.

Are you blind?  They showed two models, Surface and Surface Pro, which was their response to the iPad 2 and 3.  Hypocrite, much?  Apple doesn't focus on specs so why should they?  Instead they focused on how they innovated on every piece of the tablet.  Can't believe how impressed I was.  Even their smart covers kick the crap out of Apple's.  That's how much thought they actually put into this. 

Okay... you've got me excited! I want to buy one!

Could you tell me who's selling them?

tia

• Reply 440 of 513
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="rtm135" url="/t/150784/microsoft-unveils-surface-windows-8-tablet/400#post_2130850"]About what?  About the beginning of the end.  Microsoft finally stepped up their game and produced a tablet that beats the iPad in every conceivable way.[/QUOTE]

THERE ARE NO SPECS. Nothing is not greater than something. We know NOTHING about the tablet's processor/RAM/GPU/capabilities.

[QUOTE]Corporate America and government is going to love these things because they will play beautifully with the zillions of WINDOWS PCs already entrenched.[/QUOTE]

The low-end model doesn't even work with any existing software!

[QUOTE]Are you blind?  They showed two models, Surface and Surface Pro, which was their response to the iPad 2 and 3.[/QUOTE]

Two models that can't even use the same software.

[QUOTE]Hypocrite, much? Apple doesn't focus on specs so why should they?[/QUOTE]

At least Apple's tablet [I]has[/I] specs. *shrug*

[QUOTE]Instead they focused on how they innovated on every piece of the tablet.[/QUOTE]

Touchscreen: done before.
    Bicycle kickstand: done before.
    Thin-build cover: done before.
    Thin, attachable keyboard: done before.

What hasn't been done before is making two tablets of the same name that are completely incompatible with one another, I'll give you that. I guess that's innovating.

[QUOTE]Can't believe how impressed I was.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe you [B]were[/B] impressed.

[QUOTE]That's how much thought they actually put into this. [/QUOTE]

You've put more thought into it than they have, I think.