Some new Mac buyers unable to redeem Mountain Lion codes on App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Millions might flawlessly update (I'm one of them) but if a small number of very vocal people have temporary issues (which happens 100% of the time at every single software product launch in history from every company on earth) then its a 'product launch black eye'. Some of you people need to get some damn perspective. Nothing will ever go completely smoothly for every single person, and if thats your definition of 'without a hitch' then thats a standard that has never been and will never be hit. We're talking about millions of variables, people on differnt hardware, configurations, setups, updating an entire OS thats composed of millions of lines of codes, and a backbone thats supposed to deal with a massive amount of server load at once while processing redemption codes, etc.

Shit happens, and one doesn't need to pretend its some onerous sign about Apple or sensationalize about ineptitude. So far, this has been the fastest, smoothest OS upgrade in my life, and the OS itself seems rock solid.  You can't get it this second? Have some damn patience and wait a day, it JUST LAUNCHED. You survived without it yesterday, and all days before that, you can do so for a few more hours instead of bitching and moaning on messageboards while pretending your time is so valuable and you're so inconvenienced by this. Maybe some of you were born yesterday, but I remember older Mac OS launched, many of which were a complete nightmare. Every launch since has been smoother and more predictable. This is a general response not just to you, but other whining, entitled posts I've seen. I don't know how you guys get through actual real challenges in life, if this kind of thing makes you so enraged. 

Sorry but I can't be bothered to respond...

• Reply 22 of 136
    shompashompa Posts: 343member

Once again you are rewarded if you are using pirated software. 

I wanted to be legal and use my uptodate code, but it does not work. 

So, the only mac that is "legal" in my house have problem. I can't accept that the world largest company is this incompetent.

Siri, MobileMe, This: Apple have no Internet competence. Apple clearly showed that they don't think its important since they started to use Azure and Windows servers. 

This is the reason why Siri often does not work. This is the reason for iCloud mail problem. 

With 117 billion in the bank, Apple should be able to make some Xservers and Xsans and solve these problems. But its more fun for them to play with iOS.

The sad thing is that Tim Cook have a track record of these mistakes. When Steve had similar problem he acted the same day and fired people. Tim just accepts incompetence. 

That is a Microsoft value. 

Sad...

I named my Retina Macbook Pro: One last thing....   the last mac that Steve worked on. Now Apple wants to repeat every mistake they made in 1985.  

• Reply 23 of 136
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

AI, I was reading on CNET how this happened; to quote, "This error is rooted in the problem in which Apple prematurely opened its up-to-date program earlier this week. The up-to-date program was live for a few hours before Apple took it down, and during that time the program issued a number of redemption codes to those who had applied...If you have this problem and cannot get your free update to Mountain Lion, then for now, wait. Apple is apparently aware of the issue and will be sending out new redemption codes to affected users by e-mail, which should happen in the next 24 hours."

I'd expect AI to be the one reporting this kind of detailed information as opposed to simply reporting the issue.  

• Reply 24 of 136
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

it's not a single submit causing the problem.

user1 hits instance1 and is issued code1

user2 hits instance2 and is issued code1 (again) 

because the arrival rate of new requests happens faster than instance1 can tell instance2 that the number has been issued.

it's a race condition.

probably only happens for 1 of a 1000 requests.

Any standard transactional database on the back end should be able to deal with this. It would be mind boggling if they didn't use such a setup.

• Reply 25 of 136
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Once again you are rewarded if you are using pirated software. 

With 117 billion in the bank, Apple should be able to make some Xservers and Xsans and solve these problems. But its more fun for them to play with iOS.

The sad thing is that Tim Cook have a track record of these mistakes. When Steve had similar problem he acted the same day and fired people. Tim just accepts incompetence. 

That is a Microsoft value. 

Sad...

I named my Retina Macbook Pro: One last thing....   the last mac that Steve worked on. Now Apple wants to repeat every mistake they made in 1985.  

They apparently are already re-issuing working codes. Glitches happen. Apple never got MobileMe right, even after Steve Jobs fired a bunch of people. Plus the new iPad launch went off without a hitch and there was plenty of stock on hand. That didn't happen when Steve Jobs was in charge. Jobs was great, but he wasn't perfect, and there are some things Tim Cook does better.  I'm tired of the "this would never have happened under Steve Jobs" criticism since it downplays what went wrong during his tenure. Apple's trying a brand new way of distributing software. This release has gone off far more smoothly than Lion's release last year.

• Reply 26 of 136
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Millions might flawlessly update (I'm one of them) but if a small number of very vocal people have temporary issues (which happens 100% of the time at every single software product launch in history from every company on earth) then its a 'product launch black eye'. Some of you people need to get some damn perspective. Nothing will ever go completely smoothly for every single person, and if thats your definition of 'without a hitch' then thats a standard that has never been and will never be hit. We're talking about millions of variables, people on differnt hardware, configurations, setups, updating an entire OS thats composed of millions of lines of codes, and a backbone thats supposed to deal with a massive amount of server load at once while processing redemption codes, etc.

Shit happens, and one doesn't need to pretend its some onerous sign about Apple or sensationalize about ineptitude. So far, this has been the fastest, smoothest OS upgrade in my life, and the OS itself seems rock solid.  You can't get it this second? Have some damn patience and wait a day, it JUST LAUNCHED. You survived without it yesterday, and all days before that, you can do so for a few more hours instead of bitching and moaning on messageboards while pretending your time is so valuable and you're so inconvenienced by this. Maybe some of you were born yesterday, but I remember older Mac OS launched, many of which were a complete nightmare. Every launch since has been smoother and more predictable. This is a general response not just to you, but other whining, entitled posts I've seen. I don't know how you guys get through actual real challenges in life, if this kind of thing makes you so enraged. 

Exactly. I don't care how many servers you have or how much money you have, this kind of load is very difficult to deal with. There will be isolated errors. With millions of people downloading the software, even 99.99% success means hundreds of people having problems.
  • Reply 27 of 136
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Exactly. I don't care how many servers you have or how much money you have, this kind of load is very difficult to deal with. There will be isolated errors. With millions of people downloading the software, even 99.99% success means hundreds of people having problems.

I would say way more are having problems than aren't. Why don't we have people mention it here on AI. So far one person has had a successful up to date code. I still haven't gotten an email- and there are 23 people who have mentioned it on AI as not receiving an email or got a bad code.

Generalities are ridiculous.

And also- no one seems furious. In fact, the most hostile posts are from slurpy and char. Both who don't have to do free updates and just want to troll on threads that don't apply to them. You know- like you're doing.
  • Reply 28 of 136
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,732member

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

it's not a single submit causing the problem.

user1 hits instance1 and is issued code1

user2 hits instance2 and is issued code1 (again) 

because the arrival rate of new requests happens faster than instance1 can tell instance2 that the number has been issued.

it's a race condition.

probably only happens for 1 of a 1000 requests.

As someone else already mentioned: this is something databases were designed to handle.

But to offer a simple solution to this example:

user1 hits instance1.  instance1 requests a lock on code1, obtains the lock, and issues code1 to user1.  instance1 ensures the database is updated before the lock on code1 is released.

user2 hits instance2.  instance2 requests a lock on code1, isn't able to obtain the lock because instance1 already holds it, and moves on to code2.

• Reply 29 of 136
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    auxio wrote: »
    As someone else already mentioned: this is something databases were designed to handle.

But to offer a simple solution to this example:

user1 hits instance1.  instance1 requests a lock on code1, obtains the lock, and issues code1 to user1.  instance1 ensures the database is updated before the lock on code1 is released.
    user2 hits instance2.  instance2 requests a lock on code1, isn't able to obtain the lock because instance1 already holds it, and moves on to code2.

If it's just a database issue with the code appearing to have already been used when it wasn't then it sounds like they aren't using the right kind of DB. This might just be redeem codes but they should be using transaction DB servers for ACID.
  • Reply 30 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

They apparently are already re-issuing working codes. Glitches happen. Apple never got MobileMe right, even after Steve Jobs fired a bunch of people. Plus the new iPad launch went off without a hitch and there was plenty of stock on hand. That didn't happen when Steve Jobs was in charge. Jobs was great, but he wasn't perfect, and there are some things Tim Cook does better.  I'm tired of the "this would never have happened under Steve Jobs" criticism since it downplays what went wrong during his tenure. Apple's trying a brand new way of distributing software. This release has gone off far more smoothly than Lion's release last year.

Get used to "This would never have happened under Steve Jobs." Working for The Walt Disney Company, I have years of experience dealing with founder idolization. It'll only get worse and more frequent, but at least you can separate ignorant people from thoughtful people because of it. Always look on the bright side I say.

• Reply 31 of 136
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member
    Just do what I'm doing an you'll have ZERO problems...

Do absolutely nothing, wait a week for the dust to settle, and download to your heart's content. See?? Stress free!

People trying to do this along with millions of others, for something that is not going to change their lives for the better in this instant, are just getting their panties in a wedgie. Chill out people. Patience is a virtue.
  • Reply 32 of 136

Is there any reason why they waited until release date to issue the codes?  Wouldn't it have been a lot simpler to issue the redemption codes days in advance and simply not allow the purchase until release day?  The problem with the delay is that it's only a $20 purchase which makes it even more irritating to the end user.  If its a $99 coupon then it's a no-brainer - you use it.  But $20 make you feel like you are a cheap bastard for waiting for your coupon.

Look, if I were the type that would be happy to wait for updates, I probably wouldn't have ordered the new MBP right after it was announced.  By definition, this program caters to early adopters who bought the new hardware in the six weeks before the OS update was released.  I also don't read Apple Insider to see what's going on in Apple news today so that I can see I might be able to mess around with whenever it happens to show up.

• Reply 33 of 136
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You aren't going to die if you can't get Mountain Lion right now.

You are wrong, I'm now dead and posting from beyond. Steve Jobs says hi.

• Reply 34 of 136
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member

All I want to see happen is for Apple to fire the employees who work on servers, even those who had nothing to do with it. I also want them blacklisted, so they won't find another IT job again, ever. That will teach everyone else a lesson about the value of having a job at Apple. In addition, I also expect a full refund for my Retina MBP for the inconvenience. I think I'll go back to Snow Leopard.

• Reply 35 of 136
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Oh the humanity !    I can't upgrade instantly so I can taunt all my other noob friends that "I upgraded first"

Please choose one of the following:

- "this would have never happened if Steve was still around"

- "this is all Tim Cook's fault"

- "this never happens to Androids"

- "this never happens to Androids because they never release software upgrades"

- "no I meant real androids, like robots. They would never let this happen"

- "the Woz is reporting he had the problem too.  He added "this would never happen if Steve was still here"

• Reply 36 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

All I want to see happen is for Apple to fire the employees who work on servers, even those who had nothing to do with it. I also want them blacklisted, so they won't find another IT job again, ever. That will teach everyone else a lesson about the value of having a job at Apple. In addition, I also expect a full refund for my Retina MBP for the inconvenience. I think I'll go back to Snow Leopard.

Sarcasm or dooshbag?     Sometimes it is hard to tell here.

• Reply 37 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Oh the humanity !    I can't upgrade instantly so I can taunt all my other noob friends that "I upgraded first"

- "this would have never happened if Steve was still around"

- "this is all Tim Cook's fault"

- "this never happens to Androids"

- "this never happens to Androids because they never release software upgrades"

- "no I meant real androids, like robots. They would never let this happen"

- "the Woz is reporting he had the problem too.  He added "this would never happen if Steve was still here"

-When the new iPhone arrives, I will buy it day one

-When the new Apple (fill in the blank) comes out, I will buy it day one

This is a tech forum dude- people want crap immediately because they've been drooling about it for months on a FORUM.  Seriously- its lame, pathetic, and borderline crazy- but we do it.  We cant wait for the next big thing.  

Of course, youre the exception I'm sure....

• Reply 38 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

dooshbag

Sarcasm or douchebag?  Sometimes simple spelling mistakes are hard to tell if they're intentional or not hear.

(that last word was sarcasm)

• Reply 39 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Sarcasm or douchebag?  Sometimes simple spelling mistakes are hard to tell if they're intentional or not hear.

(that last word was sarcasm)

You answered my question.  It was the latter.

• Reply 40 of 136
    sd-diversd-diver Posts: 54member

I've been waiting for a code for 6 hours - not looking good for getting it done today...