Apple files hint at re-engineered iMac and Mac Pro models, potentially without optical drives

Comments

• Reply 21 of 257
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Save your media on an SD card, USB key, etc. Most TVs have USB and SD inputs. And you get way more space than DVDs offer. 

DVDs are 5 years ago. The entire format is legacy. 

• Reply 22 of 257

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr_b View Post

Look at my brand new Apple iMac.  It has a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse.  It's a work of art with the exception of the external optical drive!

Keep that external optical drive in a desk drawer for the 0.5 times a year you use it.

• Reply 23 of 257
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    That's an awesome geek bench score- particularly if that's the base model- about the same as the BTO top-end 2011.

If this is the base- ill be buying that day one please- optical drive or not. Although I'd love a Blu-ray drive and burner on it, I'd also like to ride a unicorn and have it not hit 100 in Dallas this summer. But hey- I'm a dreamer.
  • Reply 24 of 257

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cook's choice of the words "working on something really great," indicates Apple plans to significantly update its Mac Pro model, which has carried forward the same basic aluminum box design introduced for the 2005 PowerMac G5.

I know AI is only a blog nowadays, but the PowerMac G5 was introduced in 2003, the Mac Pro was introduced in 2006.

• Reply 25 of 257

Sure why not remove the optical drive so it starts looking like a "you-know-what"?

http://www.flixya.com/photo/28872/iMac-vs-Dell-XPS-410

• Reply 26 of 257
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Sure why not remove the optical drive so it starts looking like a "you-know-what"?

Er, what? Giant iPad? LET'S.

• Reply 27 of 257

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

No Big Loss, the drives they have been shipping are very out of date.

I use an external Memorex CD Burner and it smokes the drive in my MacPro and iMac.

I use an external DVD Burner(LG) on my imac too. It comes in handy burning backups. The internal burner reads and the external writes. Btw, an external DVD burner will always outperform an internal DVD burner unless it's a desktop PC. AIO PCs are also slow.

• Reply 28 of 257
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

The iMac in that photo has 2 more wires than the iMac that they sell today. And since a very small percentage of people will go and connect an ODD, your point is moot. 

• Reply 29 of 257

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Er, what? Giant iPad? LET'S.

NO!! That Dell with all those wires. I like my iMac without all the clutter. I'm sure others do too. I have a couple of backup 2tb HDDs(LaCie) that sit on top of one another and next to it an external DVD Burner strictly for burning backups already.

• Reply 30 of 257
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The iMac in that photo has 2 more wires than the iMac that they sell today. And since a very small percentage of people will go and connect an ODD, your point is moot. 

Oh, THAT'S what he meant… Thanks! No wonder I didn't get it; I don't expect anyone to bother with discs in a future that isn't dystopian.

• Reply 31 of 257

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I have the latest 27" iMac today. I was just using the picture as an example.

• Reply 32 of 257

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, THAT'S what he meant… Thanks! No wonder I didn't get it; I don't expect anyone to bother with discs in a future that isn't dystopian.

And some of still watch movies using a DVD player. Although more and more movies I buy I get from iTunes and run it through my AppleTV.

• Reply 33 of 257
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    visualzone wrote: »

NO!! That Dell with all those wires. I like my iMac without all the clutter. I'm sure others do too. I have a couple of backup 2tb HDDs(LaCie) that sit on top of one another and next to it an external DVD Burner strictly for burning backups already.

So you don't like clutter but you like a much slower, noisier, power hungry method for backups used by a very small fraction of consumers? You're saying you want Apple to keep a certain aesthetics for your specific needs because you don't want to use a modern backup system. Sure, there are couple reasons why one would want to backup to optical media instead of magnetic media but that is not a consumer concern, not by a long shot.
  • Reply 34 of 257
    visualzone wrote: »

And some of still watch movies using a DVD player. Although more and more movies I buy I get from iTunes and run it through my AppleTV.

Why haven't you used HandBrake to copy those videos to your drive? DVDs are MPEG-2. MPEG-2!!!!!!! MPEG-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't expect anyone to scrap their DVDs but if you have a method of ripping them that allows the media to be slower and ported everywhere easily they why not use it?
  • Reply 35 of 257
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Save your media on an SD card, USB key, etc. Most TVs have USB and SD inputs. And you get way more space than DVDs offer. 

DVDs are 5 years ago. The entire format is legacy. 

This reminds me of the fairly recent switch the TV torrent sites made from AVI to MP4. It's 2012 and they were still using the antiquated container and DivX-based codec for ripping TV shows. People were furious. The biggest complaint seemed to be that their DVD player would recognize AVI/DivX but not MP4/H.264 files. I'm sorry, but if you're DLing a TV show and then burning it to a CD to watch on your DVD player you are doing it wrong. You can buy a Roku for around $60, right?
  • Reply 36 of 257

Well, hopefully they make a blu-ray external Superdrive. :/

• Reply 37 of 257
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Wireles hard drives, and with Remote Disc, why not wireless DVD drives? Put the thing anywhere ...
  • Reply 38 of 257
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    andysol wrote:
    That's an awesome geek bench score- particularly if that's the base model- about the same as the BTO top-end 2011.

The i7-3770 is the top-end model. Ivy Bridge is only 15% faster than Sandy Bridge.

The main benefits would be USB 3 and a faster GPU. The 7970M is a decent enough upgrade over the 6970M. A redesign would of course make it more compelling and I think it will come with reduced glare like the Retina MBP. I really hope they don't put the HDD in the same place though. They should be able to keep the drives away from the speakers to avoid any magnetic interference and have them at the base. A side-access panel where the optical was wouldn't have to be disastrous. It can be sorta like the iPhone sim card tray.
  • Reply 39 of 257
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    BuffyzDead wrote: »
    That is a Huge Endeavor that you will never see from Apple Inside the chassis.

I am knowledgeable in the APC back-up power supply industry, and the size of the units able to deliver 15 minutes of Battery Power, are the size of "large" Bricks

So,
    Where are you going to put it?

Much of that bulk is due to power conversion from various voltages. Think about a laptop, a battery doesn't have to be huge to effect auto save.
  • Reply 40 of 257
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

For those who need an optical disc drive -- you can buy an external USB ODD from apple for $79.

I don't personally need one. Disk Warrior doesn't even boot properly from the disk past SL. That was when it stopped being useful to me, but $79 for a cheaply made kludge is dumb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

For the current Mac Pro design an ODD makes sense. If they make it more consumer friendly, the elusive xMac display-less desktop people have been clamoring for for years, then I can see it not having an ODD at all, but have a case that allows for an ODD option.

The xmac is already taken. Note the trademark. I got a laugh out of this the first time I saw it and noted the "TM" notation. I don't see them providing a good solution going this route. I mean it's possible. I just don't see it. With the imac they bundle a display to support a high cost of entry.  The mac pro was likely carried in volume by it's $2500 option, so as that has become less competitive against the imac in many ways (I'm aware of what the imac will and will not do), the value there has weakened.