HTC has no intention to settle with Apple in wake of Samsung loss

Comments

• Reply 81 of 171
    mcrs wrote: »
    Is that the way you think? How easy for The Telco and Apple to dupe you, or, rather, how lazy it is for you to calculate the real cost of owning a new Iphone. Hypothetically speaking, say you had spend USD 200 with a tied in 2 year contract for an Iphone 4 which actually costs only USD 600. Assuming you are going for the USD 75 per month plan from the Telco of your choice, you'd have spend [24 X 75] + 200 = USD 2000 for an Iphone 4. Had you bought your Iphone 4 unlocked, you  would spend USD 600 + whatever comparable pay-as-you-go plan which I think probably about USD 40 per month, so your total cost of owning an unlocked Iphone 4 is [24 X 40] + USD 600 = USD 1560.

So, the amount USD 2000 - USD 1560 = USD 440 is the amount of money flying from your pocket to your Telco's hand.  And then, you said you would repeat this same cycle again to get the new Iphone?  It's like saying you want to sell the Iphone 4 which you bought for USD 600 + USD 440 = USD 1040 for merely USD 300 [a whopping 71 % loss in value in just two short years] to pay for a new Iphone which will again tie you up to a new contract for  two money-flying-out-of-your-pocket years. I wouldn't say what you are suggesting people to do as a "smart" move.

In my situation, when the iPhone 4s came out I was able to sell my iPhone 4 on Craigslist for $330 and my wife's galaxy for $100

AT&T let me have a upgrade ( no late payments ) but I had to pay $100 to upgrade my wife to an iPhone 4s ( they could only upgrade one of us)

Bottom line is that if we both had an iPhone 4 I would have come out of pocket a little less because our data plan has not changed.
  • Reply 82 of 171
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And did Google, in their infinite wisdom, patent its precursor to Notification Shade?

Or did Google just push out an update ASAP, cross their fingers, close their eyes, and say "Here goes nothing!"

Because that's what they seem to be doing most of the time.  "Legal shmegal.  Ship now, ask questions later."

More likely Google isn't interested stifling competition via patent hording and trolling.

• Reply 83 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

What's the difference? It's a huge, glaring point stamped right on Apple: They took the Notification Bar from Android.

If you're going to make the arguments of "don't steal, don't copy, invent your own tech, etc." then you're being hypocritical because of that single instance. Any more would only further the point.

That's why you continue to hear it, and you'll continue to hear it--because it's a perfect example of hypocrisy.

If i can recall correctly, the apple newton had that function a long, long time ago and the patent on it has long expired. so google or apple can use them freely.

patents are there in place to give the inventor a "temporary monopoly" on their invention and to publicly disclose the method for implementing the invention

once the patent expires anyone is free to use it. thats why you don't see google publicly going after apple. 

but in the end google got it from the apple newton..

• Reply 84 of 171
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [INDENT][SIZE=4][B]Apple:[/B] I don't care who you are. I don't know why you can't develop your own products. If you are looking for a pushover, I can tell you I don't suffer thieves easily. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long incorporation. Skills that make me a nightmare for companies like you. If you let my IP go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not sue you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will find you, I will sue you, and I will destroy you.

[B]HTC:[/B] [I][after a long pause][/I] Good luck. [/SIZE][/INDENT]

We all know how that ended.

PS: [I]Taken 2[/I] is hitting theaters on October 3rd.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 85 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mcrs wrote: »
    Is that the way you think? How easy for The Telco and Apple to dupe you, or, rather, how lazy it is for you to calculate the real cost of owning a new Iphone. Hypothetically speaking, say you had spend USD 200 with a tied in 2 year contract for an Iphone 4 which actually costs only USD 600. Assuming you are going for the USD 75 per month plan from the Telco of your choice, you'd have spend [24 X 75] + 200 = USD 2000 for an Iphone 4. Had you bought your Iphone 4 unlocked, you  would spend USD 600 + whatever comparable pay-as-you-go plan which I think probably about USD 40 per month, so your total cost of owning an unlocked Iphone 4 is [24 X 40] + USD 600 = USD 1560.

So, the amount USD 2000 - USD 1560 = USD 440 is the amount of money flying from your pocket to your Telco's hand.  And then, you said you would repeat this same cycle again to get the new Iphone?  It's like saying you want to sell the Iphone 4 which you bought for USD 600 + USD 440 = USD 1040 for merely USD 300 [a whopping 71 % loss in value in just two short years] to pay for a new Iphone which will again tie you up to a new contract for  two money-flying-out-of-your-pocket years. I wouldn't say what you are suggesting people to do as a "smart" move.

Oh I get it, you say no to some sweet trim because it's too expensive to take the girl out, why do that when you can get the same thing from some $5 crack ho.
  • Reply 86 of 171
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Here's my take. Apple did what would be considered a LOGICAL progression FOR APPLE in taking their OS X interface and removing the top menu bar and organizing the most used apps on a dock at the bottom of the screen and then putting the various icons of apps, folders, etc. in columns and rows.  That IS THE APPLE IOS INTERFACE.  WIth Windows phones/tablets, they are using TILES, which is DIFFERENT.  With the original RIMM, they have a keypad.  I personally feel that Android, wether it is Google, Samsung, HTC, etc. are in violation of this as it is Apple's interface for a touchscreen phone/tablet.  IT IS APPLE'S LOGICAL PROGRESSION, BUT NOT ANDROIDS.

• Reply 87 of 171
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HTC isn't copying Apple.

HTC isn't copying their computers.

HTC isn't copying their mail clients.

HTC isn't copying their Dock.

HTC isn't copying their background images.

HTC isn't copying Apple.

Here's what just happened to me. 

FIRST REACTION:  "Why the hell is Tallest posting pictures of an iMac being held like that? What is this insanity? Why would someone hold an iMac like that? And why is the iMac so much smaller?"

*Looked closer, wondered why HTC is in the post*

*Looked back at images, sees subtle differences in the Mail application*   "How come there's no Apple logo on that iM . . .  ooooohhhhh . . . . yeah. I see it now.*

*shakes head*

*Googles terms: HTC (and) iMac, together*

Top hit:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/47129/htc-10-inch-tablet-imac-design

THIS is the problem with the industry outside Cupertino: unimaginative, lazy, and unfortunately, totally unaware of it.

• Reply 88 of 171
    fairthrope wrote: »
    Quardra won't have long to wait. He has cancer. newbee already went ahead to see Saint Peter and he is not far down on the list.

He drops hints several time on the board he is about the same age with Wozniac, do the math.

Sincerest apologies to Quadra 610. I didn't know and didn't mean to sound insensitive.
  • Reply 89 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Quardra won't have long to wait. He has cancer. newbee already went ahead to see Saint Peter and he is not far down on the list.

He drops hints several time on the board he is about the same age with Wozniac, do the math.

To whom are you referring? Me??

I don't have cancer. And I'm nowhere near Woz's age. 

• Reply 90 of 171
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Death to HTC! Death to Samsung! Death to Microsoft! Death to RIM!

/Fitting right in here.

no, you aren't

• Reply 91 of 171
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

FIRST REACTION:  "Why the hell is Tallest posting pictures of an iMac being held like that? What is this insanity? Why would someone hold an iMac like that? And why is the iMac so much smaller?"

*Looked back at images, sees subtle differences in the Mail application*   "How come there's no Apple logo on that iM . . .  ooooohhhhh . . . . yeah. I see it now.*

*shakes head*

No, we're both wrong, see. Apple stole everything they have from Android, so it's okay to steal back.

THIS is the problem with the industry outside Cupertino: unimaginative, lazy, and unfortunately, totally unaware of it.

I was going to say "unquestionably conscious of it", but yours is the one that will partially work for them in court.

• Reply 92 of 171
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    To whom are you referring? Me??

I don't have cancer. And I'm nowhere near Woz's age. 

Then I take it back lol
  • Reply 93 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then I take it back lol

No worries. Apparently these trolls are capable of anything. 

• Reply 94 of 171
    Here's what just happened to me. 

*shakes head*

*Googles terms: HTC (and) iMac, together*

Top hit:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/47129/htc-10-inch-tablet-imac-design

How can a tablet look like a laptop desktop. They're very different, it's almost as far fetched as comparing a tablet to a digital picture frame.
  • Reply 95 of 171
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then I take it back lol

dasanman69 likes to put ketchup on his waffles and molest small woodland animals. Oh, you don't, "Then I take it back lol"

WTH!
  • Reply 96 of 171

No worries. Apparently these trolls are capable of anything. 

I still wish you well.
  • Reply 97 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

dasanman69 likes to put ketchup on his waffles and molest small woodland animals. Oh, you don't, "Then I take it back lol"

WTH!

Nah . . . the poster above him said something *really* inappropriate, and dasanman thought it might be true and thought it right to apologize. I then told him that the poster he was quoting was  . . . wrong . . . to say the least. So dasanman quickly took back the apology, so as to minimize his participation in what turned out to be absurd.  

So, no worries.

• Reply 98 of 171

Quote:

I still wish you well.

Thank you.  :)

• Reply 99 of 171
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

How can a tablet look like a laptop? They're very different…

Almost as different as a laptop and a desktop.

• Reply 100 of 171
    solipsismx wrote: »
    WTH!

HEY!!! You said you wasn't gonna tell anyone lol