'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

Comments

• Reply 181 of 299
    Hmm. Maybe the 5 means a five inch screen?
    Or the show is on at 5pm?
    Or that there are 5 new patents on the new iPhone?
    Or on sale October 5th?
    Or it will cost Samsung 5 billion to copy this one?
    Or the lineup will take 5 hours to get through?
    Or there is now 5 lines of icons?
    Or it only runs iOS 5?
    Marks out of 5?

Seriously, I hope the new iPhone is called "the new iPhone" and not "iPhone 5".
    The numbering system is inelegant and gets less weildy the longer you use it.
    "Ugh. My iPhone 13 is so slow...".
  • Reply 182 of 299
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Mmm, let's see...

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5084/1346789940195.png

You, who are supposed to be a moderator, and some of your friends, have been trolling and insulting all those who didn't think like you. And you were wrong. I'm not going to refrain to remind it to you now, oh no, because you deserve it. And knowing your character I'm not at all surprised that you won't admit that you were mistaken. You're like a child.

Oh wait, if I hadn't totally lost it (as you said), that means, that means that you had lost it.

You are not the only one who can use his brain, and others can be as clever or cleverer than you, apparently.

I'm sure that you are going to say that it still doesn't make sense to you, but that precisely the point, it did make sense to others, and the point of the discussion that we were trying to have was that it felt logical. Too bad we couldn't talk because of your disruptions.

The sad thing is if one went looking you can find a million screenshots, almost verbatim from him, quoting other posters, just like the above. The posters he replied to had either 'lost it' or any variation of being insane or downright idiotic. I kept insisting that he put SOMETHING on the line while making all those holier than-thou statements, in case he's wrong, but was always too cowardly to do it- and its obvious why. His convictions were only strong enough to let him mock and condemn others, but not actually strong enough to make him willing to put SOMETHING where his mouth was (ie. a temp posting suspension) in case his trolling turned out to be wrong. ie. I stated multiple times I was willing to be perma-banned if either the next iPhone did not have a bigger screen, or they did not release an iPad mini this year- all before the parts leak and the heightened mini talk. If you're willing to speak as much shit as Tallest and attack others incessantly for their (reasonable) opinions, you should at least be willing to throw some chips in the game so as to be punishable for your actions. 

No doubt he will continue making matter-of-fact statements about what Apple will or will not do, even after to be proven utterly clueless and having a horrible grasp on the company's product mentality. That's what happens when you have an inability to self-reflect and adjust your behavior based on realities on the ground. 

• Reply 183 of 299

Just for the hell of it, here's my take.

iPhone - it's a new product

iPhone 3G - ooh 3G speeds! No iPhone 2, because the focus was the 3G network, *not* that it was a 3rd generation iphone.

iPhone 3GS - looks like the 3G, but faster. Not really a "4" yet.

iPhone 4 - new design, needs a new number to highlight it as "new". We were used to 3, and 4 comes after 3, so 4.

iPhone 4S - looks like a 4, but faster. Incremental upgrade, similar to 3G to 3GS. "S" possibly for Siri, or Speed (which is probably the idea behind 3G-S)

iPhone 5 - new design again, need to highlight the change. Most logical next number to use.

The only other thing it could possibly be called is "the new iPhone" per apple's similar naming for the iPad 3.

But again the advert says 5, and apple never puts out an advert then changes it for the showing. Thus iPhone 5. Case closed.

• Reply 184 of 299
    tulkas wrote: »
    So long as we are done with people saying the iPhone 4S was "iPhone For Steve" I am fine.

Except I guess we might get people claiming the 5 is 'leetspeak for S and again means Steve....then I might need alcohol. 

I never believed it was "for Steve". Sounds like urban legend.

Who needs an excuse for alcohol? I say, time for vodka.
  • Reply 185 of 299

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

But again the advert says 5, and apple never puts out an advert then changes it for the showing. Thus iPhone 5. Case closed.

"Changes"? The invitation says absolutely nothing. There's nothing to be changed. Or did you really never forget the day you were told you'd never forget? You know, that one, whenever it was, with the Beatles on iTunes.

• Reply 186 of 299
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I really never understood the obsession with the name. It is and has always been simply "iPhone". If it is called the 5 and the one next year the 5S, who really cares? 

I think most people care far more about the hardware specs and iOS 6 features than the name. What a waste of a thread, although the iPhone 6 club which mainly consists of Solipsism and Tallest Skil needed a good helping of crow pie and I have to admit it was fun to watch. I just didn't think it would go on for 5 pages. 

Let's see, it's still the 6th generation iPhone (which I've proven countless times), it'll be shipping iOS 6 not 5, and I still say that the naming system should be done away with. Nothing in this advert from Apple proven anything I've stated as fact as being wrong and if you want to claim my opinions should be held as fact then you should really go back to the start of this discussion many months ago where I clearly stated Apple will call it whatever the hell suits their needs best. My stance has been and still is that it's not the 5th generation iPhone because you think that '5" comes after '4S'. I even stated that Apple is probably better off with a 2 year cycle for the case revision — you might be one of those people that thinks it'll still be the same — that would allow for the same number to follow for two years with the 'S' addition for the 2nd year. Where is your coverage of that?
  • Reply 187 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Apple discovered the fifth element !

The fifth *state of matter* has been discovered - I think. They are, solid, gas, liquid, plasma, and there are 3 more whose names I don't remember, ooh, one was Boze-Einstein - I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think.

• Reply 188 of 299
    enjourni wrote: »

iPhone 3G - ooh 3G speeds! No iPhone 2, because the focus was the 3G network, *not* that it was a 3rd generation iphone.
    iPhone 4 - new design, needs a new number to highlight it as "new". We were used to 3, and 4 comes after 3, so 4.
    iPhone 4S - looks like a 4, but faster. Incremental upgrade, similar to 3G to 3GS. "S" possibly for Siri, or Speed (which is probably the idea behind 3G-S)
    iPhone 5 - new design again, need to highlight the change. Most logical next number to use.

The only other thing it could possibly be called is "the new iPhone" per apple's similar naming for the iPad 3.

But none of that makes sense because 4 comes after 3, not S not GS and not 3GS. It's also the 4th iPhone with the A4 chip running iOS 6. Occam's razor would tell us the reason for it being calling the iPhone 4 is most likely because it's the 4th generation iPhone, not because it follows S, GS or 3GS.

The 'S' on the 4S is the same thing. It's the S to denote a faster version of the same model. Surely Apple can say it also means Siri but imagine if it were called Voci instead. Do you think Apple would have then called it the iPhone 4V? I don't think so for the same reason above.

Note this is the first iPhone expected to have 4G LTE, be the 4th major case design. Maybe they should call it the iPhone 4. /s
  • Reply 189 of 299
    What a waste of a thread over some naming bs.
    I long for the trolls.......

It's a tempest in a teacup.
    I say until Phil Schiller unveils it on stage, no one here can name it on Apple's behalf. It is just unofficial rumor and/or an opinion. And yes, I saw the photo someone posted on this thread, but I'll believe it on Sept 12.
  • Reply 190 of 299
    The fifth *state of matter* has been discovered - I think. They are, solid, gas, liquid, plasma, and there are 3 more whose names I don't remember, ooh, one was Boze-<span style="font-family:Helvetica;font-size:12px;line-height:normal;">Einstein - I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.</span>

<span style="font-family:Helvetica;font-size:12px;line-height:normal;">[SIZE=28px]I think.[/SIZE]</span>

I thought it was getting it on with Mila Jovovich.
  • Reply 191 of 299

There might not be an NFC chip inside because everyone is saying the back is metal. Then why would they have the two tone backing. Looking from photos I cannot tell whether it is a different material or not but to me it seems that there reason behine the two tone is because it is a diffrent material, one that would allow radio waves to easily pass through. Looking from some photos it also looks like the mystery chip is around the same spot as when the back changes tone or material.

• Reply 192 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I never believed it was "for Steve". Sounds like urban legend.

Who needs an excuse for alcohol? I say, time for vodka.

Apple Vodka and Appletinis, gettin' it on up in here!! hahah iTinis xD

• Reply 193 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I thought it was getting it on with Mila Jovovich.

*Milla

• Reply 194 of 299
    Still keeping my 4s but, hopefully ios6 is available immediately and not waiting the week til you can order the next iPhone
  • Reply 195 of 299
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    focher wrote: »
    I'm of a like mind when it comes to the SoC. Using the A5X doesn't make any sense, as the main change from the A5 was additional on-die GPUs and those aren't needed for the iPhone X (copyright 2012 Focher). I'm not sure that additional cores make much sense either, but I'm not familiar with how heavily threaded iPhone apps are at this point. Perhaps there are some Cortex enhancements around execution speeds (including clock increases) that make more sense. It would be strange for Apple to just reuse the A5 but an A6 in the iPhone goes against precedence. The new GPU has, so far, always appeared in the iPad first. But that could change ...

I'm not saying it will, but it could change for one reason. Previous to the 4S, all the phones came out less than 4 months after the iPad. So, using that SoC made sense. After all, it was another 8 months before the next iPad arrived, with a new SoC. but now, with the late September delivery, that now moves to over 6 months. It's actually closer to the next iPad than it is to the last iPad.

So I think it's possible we may see an A6, as reported elsewhere with a couple of admittedly poor photo's.

I also think that staying with the A5x would be a disadvantage, even with a die shrink, unless Apple popped up the speed to 1GHz, at least. The much better GPU will be advantageous as Apple uses Open CL in iOS, as they do in OS X. But needed is a better CPU to feed it. We see on testing that the new GPU in the Retina iPad has much more capacity than does the CPU, which limits the performance.

I know the much lower Rez on the phone, even with the longer screen, will lessen the need for a much better CPU for now. But the performance of the new iPhon's have always been at the top for much of its life as the flagship Apple smartphone product. That wouldn't be the case with the current iPad SoC.
  • Reply 196 of 299

Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

Still keeping my 4s but, hopefully ios6 is available immediately and not waiting the week til you can order the next iPhone

I think they might release iOS 6 for old devices on the Friday after the event (they've released it early before) to alleviate some server pressure on launch day.

• Reply 197 of 299
    Honestly I said it before but I think they know the general public will regard it as iPhone 5 but I feel they will still lable it the new iPhone. . .

How?

I expect Something like this in the keynote.

[SIZE=4][I][B]2012 marks the 5th year since the introduction of the first iPhone. A phone that changed the way we look at smart phones. Its hard to belive that it has already been 5 years since we changed the industry with this revolutionary device, so today is very special to all of us here at apple. Today we are announcing our next generation iPhone. So, what are we going to call it?

*Cue 'iPhone5' title graphics with a big question mark behind it*

No, we are calling it the new iPhone." [/I][/SIZE][/B]

Something like this seems right to me.

And of course they'd talk about the next 5 years ahead of them and how they hope to revolutionize as much.
  • Reply 198 of 299

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

So, what are we going to call it?

a big question mark

Sounds exactly like something Apple would do, but we are in post-Steve territory. 

• Reply 199 of 299
    2012 marks the 5th year since the introduction of the first iPhone.

That could be why they titled that with a 5 below the "year".
  • Reply 200 of 299
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

I do understand this logic, but I have (along with TS and others) been insistent that the next iPhone would/should be either iPhone 6 or just the new iPhone.

Until we saw the "new iPad" a few months ago, I have been arguing that iPhone 6 would be more appropriate due to the logic that it's the 6th generation of the phone.  And, it would match the generation of the iOS (6).  But since then, and since the new iPad dropped a suffix, I have been a very strong proponent of dropping the suffix in general.  Just seems more like the current/future Apple vision of nomenclature.  (i.e. they didn't add anything to the name of the retina Macbook Pro, nor the current iPad or iPod touch, Nano, etc.)

My additional logic was based off of the fact that they never released an iPhone 2, just called it 3GS, which you state in your post quoted here.  So if they skipped a numbering before It could happen again.

However, now that I see this invite, it seems pretty logical to suggest that the next iPhone will in fact be called iPhone 5.

Time will tell, but I still argue it would be more appropriate (IMO) to just drop the numbering altogether.  Keep it simple.  The new iPhone.

Additionally, calling it the iPhone 5 says nothing about the design, feature-set or generation of device.  So if it is in fact iPhone 5, I really need a reasoning for it from Apple themselves.  I just don't buy the simple logic that it's the 5th iPhone design.  To me, the 3g and 3gs were a single design iteration (differing internals but same "look").  The 4 and the 4s were also a single design gesture (IMO).