Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 241 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Will using maps really help improve it? I am a little skeptical of that. So far I have only used it a few times and it steered me correctly. But hypothetically if it was clearly taking me to the wrong address I would just switch to Mapquest or Waze to get where I needed to go. I can't imagine remembering later to go back to Apple maps and report an error. Furthermore, I would be in a car at the time very likely or busy and wouldn't be able to report it at the time it happened. Do any of you really think user reported errors will really help improve it dramatically or quickly? I think people are far too lazy, forgetful, or busy to really report many errors without some sort of incentive like app store credit for example. For every 10 errors reported for example you get $1 of store credit to buy an app. Now that might actually work although there would need to be a verification process for malicious reports. 

Here is another suggestion for Apple. Since they use Yelp which has a far smaller database than Google, there needs to be a simple and easy way to add waypoints to Maps from your phone or computer. Tying that in also with adding reviews to the business would also be beneficial. Waypoints like restaurants, gas stations, stores, etc.. are probably almost as important as directions on a Map app especially in an unfamiliar city so they can't ignore that defect either.

As to the "improve it by using it"...  Assume that Apple logs all searches and responses!  You are using TBT, and suddenly stop [using it] in the middle on a series of instructions -- to switch to another solution.  This is a sudden, unexpected action!  Apple has logged all this and anticipates your next action.  The fact that there is none, is a big flag that something may be wrong.  Computer analysis can easily isolate these "situations", and they can be reconstructed by someone by taking a "virtual" trip and/or a "real" trip to reconstruct the problem...  not as good as the user reporting what actually happened, but much better than nothing!

Likewise, a series of of unexpected searches -- unsuccessful results returned to refined search terms (like the iLost fiasco) form a pattern that can be detected and analyzed.

• Reply 242 of 381
    icoco3 wrote: »

Riiiiight...Street View while driving your car.

When stopped at a light , when lost. Yes???
    How would you use Flyover view while driving your car? Lol
  • Reply 243 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Classless response. The classy thing todo would be to pull it and put google maps back on. I'm not buying iPhone 5 till they do

If you are or are not buying a phone based on built in maps (see the incongruity yet?), then perhaps your demands are out of whack. Anyone who finds maps that crucial should buy a dedicated GPS.

Otherwise, recognize maps for what they are; an add-on to the basic features of a smartphone (voice, texting, e-mail, web.) Absolutely nothing to postpone a purchase over.

Or perhaps you were just trolling.

• Reply 244 of 381
    nht wrote: »

For areas where the maps completely suck crowdsourcing wont help unless it's of the OSM kind where some folks enter data for an entire local area.  

Those folks that want to be part of the solution will do exactly that. I did. I was at the local mall the other day and noticed several pins were off and while I figure internal mapping is likely not top priority at the moment over getting folks to the right buildings, I still went and dropped/moved pins for several locations. AND sent a general feedback that they should create some kind of building view for such locations, rather than one pin placement for everything in the building.
  • Reply 245 of 381
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

When stopped at a light , when lost. Yes???

I would just look out the window.  And...how can you be lost...YOU have your Google Maps app up and running, no?

• Reply 246 of 381

deleted

• Reply 247 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It is doubtful that you will get the Google app back -- that is not the way to resolve this problem.  To provide top quality service, Apple needs to  have access to the maps database and to limit access (to others) for the individual requests and searches.  Google has demonstrated that it is not a reliable enough provider or partner to satisfy Apple's mapping needs.

Well its obvious to everybody the Apple Maps app was not ready for public use. If Apple did not want to use Google Maps app they should have found a better third party solution while they worked on their own inadequate program. 

Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda

All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas

Layin' in the sun,

Talkin' bout the things

They woulda-coulda-shoulda done...

But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas

All ran away and hid

From one little did.

-Shel Silverstein-

• Reply 248 of 381
    dolphyjazz wrote: »
    It's about time. Apple maps just plain sucks. I've been an apple fan for a long time and enjoy using their desktop os and laptops, but their mobile offerings are just not comparable to android powered devices. Worst part is that they choose to be shitty because they're pissed at Google.

You make it sound like Apple shouldn't be so petty.
    The reality is quite different. Google decided to compete against Apple. Why should Apple continue to depend on Google for key features of iOS?
  • Reply 249 of 381
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Tim needs to learn to be a bit more aggressive in his responses.

Rough edges don't play well with Apple's attuned geometry. Straight forward humility and purity of intentions do. Leave aggressiveness to the naughty 'coming-from-behind' ones.

Apple ought to behave in a way consistent with the nobility perspiring from the absolutely magnificent iPhone 5. And so they do.
  • Reply 249 of 381
    sasparilla wrote: »
    Obviously Tim apologized because he could see the public perception, even if Maps works fine for you, was damaging the iPhone and Apple brands. 

Potentially damaging. The plus is that anyone that gets too hyperbolic with their rants will look like a dick for picking on Apple who is working on the issue etc. So Media are more likely to tone it down and even change tactics. Instead of 'Apple Maps suck' 24/7 they might move to 'how you can help improve' or even admitting that no map service has been perfect from day one.

This isn't so different than after the iPhone 4. Once Steve said 'all cell phones have this issue' many of the same blogs that were yelling about Apple's major design flaw where posting articles about those other phones etc.
  • Reply 251 of 381
    icoco3 wrote: »
    I would just look out the window.  And...how can you be lost...YOU have your Google Maps app up and running, no?

No I would use my Flyover View to drive. That would suffice. Lol
  • Reply 252 of 381
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

No I would use my Flyover View to drive. That would suffice. Lol

Oh, helicoptor, sorry.

• Reply 253 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepley View Post

Tim Cook, I don't believe you give a fig about providing me with with the best customer experience possible. For example, both Bing and Google can provide crisp and detailed satellite maps for the areas I need. The satellite maps from Apple are shockingly bad - absolutely terrible. Is Apple too greedy to pay for decent satellite images, or too incompetent to implement them?

Shepley, I don't believe you gave a fig's worth of thought to your post. Apple's Maps are brand new. Google and Bing have been doing maps for years (a decade, in Google's case.) And you expect Apple's Maps to be exactly on par with those long-time competitors right out of the box?

I'm not trying to be a fanboi here. But the task Apple was forced by Google's oppressive licensing to undertake in a very short time was extremely daunting. And dude, unless you bought an iPhone 5, nobody forced you to upgrade your existing phone to iOS6. I've left mine on iOS5 until  the bugs are worked out. Anyone else whining like Shepley needs to look in the mirror and ask whether or not they themselves bear some responsibility for diving headfirst into using a "dot zero" product instead of waiting to see how things shook out.

So drop the self-righteous vitriol.

• Reply 254 of 381
    lilgto64 wrote: »
    Sure it did - standalone GPS units - paper maps - dead reckoning - stoping to ask the gas station attendant for directions. 
    <div id="user_myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

Nope. All those things still exist. You can use them if you want.

YOU made the choice to replace using them with using Google Maps etc
  • Reply 255 of 381
    I just don't get the whole Maps hoopla.

It works fantastic for me! I use it every single day, usually several times in a day! Every time I'm in the car, I just ask Siri to take me to where I need to go, and off we go.

I understand there are some glitches in Maps. But...

Google Maps got me lost more times than I care to remember (why don't people remember THAT!?!). That's why I dumped it years ago for the Navigon app. At $80 (at the time), it was the most expensive app I'd ever bought. But, still cheaper than a dedicated GPS. It worked great! Probably spent another $50, or so, on options since the beginning.

But, it was a chore to start, like every other GPS out there. Sooo much time to get it started and so many steps just to get it going. But, I used it faithfully for years.

Until now.

Siri has replaced Navigon as my turn-by-turn navigator. Siri is fast, simple, elegant and sooo smooth. It just works.

Are there things I miss from the Navigon app? Sure. I LOVED seeing my speed while I was driving. And, I could tell it to warn me if I happened to be speeding. The 3D topography for the terrain was cool, too.

But, Maps by FAR makes up for anything I might be missing. And, I KNOW Apple will continue to develop and expand it's features and functions with time.

Personally, I think there's a WHOLE LOT of bandwagon jumping going on right now. I've heard people complain about Maps, and they either don't even HAVE an iPhone, or they haven't even updated to iOS 6. This is just maddening.

Give them a break. Look at it with new eyes. Relax. Breathe. It's just a maps app, that happens to do a LOT more than the app it's replacing.
  • Reply 256 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by na1ya View Post

"The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get"

I don't understand. If we keep using Maps, the image on the right will gradually become the image on the left? How is that possible?

In simple terms, Maps data is based off crowd sourced info. So yes, they will get better.

So this crowd sourced info is automatic? Is Apple keeping track of what parts of the world I am searching and where I am located all the time? Or is your description of crowd sourced the fact that there is a report a problem button. I would draw a distinction between simply using the Maps app and actively contributing to updating the data. If they are tracking me then that is going to be a security issue. I think they really need to define what they mean by "It gets better the more people use it".

I believe it is both tracking and contributing.   Tracking can collect/detect search patterns (as described in other posts).  Tracking may, or may not be improved if it knows your location.  

If you want control:

Settings--->Privacy---> Location Services--->Maps

• Reply 257 of 381
    wow I never thought I'd see the day. David Pogue, only second to Gruber for his love of all things Apple has written a scathing review of Maps. Good on him.

"In short, Maps is an appalling first release. It may be the most embarrassing, least usable piece of software Apple has ever unleashed. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/technology/personaltech/apples-new-maps-app-is-upgraded-but-full-of-snags-review.html
  • Reply 258 of 381
    vaelian wrote: »
    He certainly didn't know the state in which te app would be released to the public, and would have stepped in to stop it if he was there, because the app sucks.

Yeah just like he didnt allow Siri to be released to the public

Oh wait, yeah that was likely him. Just like he allowed Final Cut X to be reload missing several 'major' features
  • Reply 259 of 381
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 260 of 381
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I'm not gonna read the drivel of comments in this thread, but just wanted to say I thought it was a very classy, honest, and sincere statement by Cook. I'm surprised he mentioned checking out competing apps, but not that surprised- seems like a Cook thing to do. For those that have issues with maps, I'm sure he'd rather they be aware of and use another maps service instead of considering getting another phone. The bashers are gonna foam at the mouth in giddiness and bash, but this is a great sign of how seriously they are taking the matter. I still think making the maps move now was their best possible scenario, and will be more than worth it in the long run. Anecdotally, the app has worked brilliantly for me so I'm not one of these 'frustrated customers'. I think he should have added 'some' in his statement, as not all of us are experiencing issues.