Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329

Comments

• Reply 61 of 286
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phat Bastard View Post

^^this.

I love my "new iPad" retina display.  I love my iPhone 5 (and iPhone 4S before it) retina display.

Never ever in a trillion years will I go back to a non-retina display like the iPad 2.  It is so obviously inferior to me that frankly I'm embarassed by Apple today.  This is a serious downgrade.

The display has the same total PIXELS as the 2 but not the same resolution, area matters..

• Reply 62 of 286
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    mac-user wrote: »
    The only question is how comfortable is the virtual keyboard on the smaller screen.

No question about that, just as excellent as on the iPad.

J.
  • Reply 63 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I'm sorry, but 1024x768 sucks even at 7.9" and especially so at $329. Get a refurbished iPad 3 for just $50 more--or a Kindle Fire HD for $30 to $130 less. Yeah, so the bigger iPad 3 isn't as portable, but it is a pleasure to look at and generally easier to use.

If you have ever used a Kindle Fire HD, you would realize that is nothing like an iPad.  It is extremely laggy, touch input is imprecise and the home screen and lock screens are basically an Amazon store.  The app ecosystem is also far inferior.

• Reply 64 of 286
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

Quote:

But they even screwed that up.  The resolution on the Nexus and Fire are higher than this POS.  *AND* they are charging at $100 more?  The gall.

iPad comparison chart: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/compare

I see no reason to buy the iPad 2 now. It's completely outspeced by the mini in everything but size.

I have to believe Phil's emphasis on apps was meant to ward off the comparison to other tablets based on screen resolution. Sure, other screens have more pixels, but what can you put IN the pixels? I'm not knowledgeable enough on Android tablets to know how good or bad the tablet apps really are.

And the market did not like the price. AAPL dropped $10 when the mini price was revealed.

- Jasen.

• Reply 65 of 286
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Folks were expecting $249 for 8GB, $349 for 16GB and $449 for 32GB.  $329, $429, $529 for 16/32/64 is better pricing.  Not great but it's not bad either.

The iPad mini I was going to buy is $20 than I expected.

Exactly. Doesn't anybody remember how they complained about the 8gb hd and how it was just about the price point? Well, they didn't and the price reflects that. I'd say it is right on target. Sign me up for two right off the bat. I also want, no... NEED, one of those 27" iMac's, and boy do I fancy one of those lovely 13" MBP's. Damn! Xmas has gone way over budget already!

• Reply 66 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I would be more interested in keyboard in portrait on the mini.  The iPad is not fast or easy for me in either landscape or portrait

I forgot that we could use Siri Dictation, too.

• Reply 67 of 286
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I can't wait to see one in person. I'm hoping when you see it and use it the price tag will be justified. Unfortunately Amazon and Google have set in people's minds that smaller tablets shouldn't cost more than $299 (or $199).
  • Reply 68 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Wow....$329 is a weird price.  My guess it's designed to squeeze and extra $30 out of all the early adopters.  I expect this thing will be $299 in most places before Christmas- could be even less on Black Friday/Cyber Monday .

Yup. A 10% discount is possible on Apple-brand products.

• Reply 69 of 286
    $329, huh ...?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Yeah -- good luck with that, Apple ....

FAIL
  • Reply 70 of 286
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

The design is against 1024x768 points.  Apps don't need to change.

Time will tell*. image

----------------------------

* - http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/userexperience/conceptual/mobilehig/IconsImages/IconsImages.html

Tips for Creating Great Artwork for the Retina Display

If you merely scale up your existing artwork, you miss out on the opportunity to provide the beautiful, captivating images users expect.

Instead, you should rework your existing image resources to create large, higher quality versions that are:

More detailed. For example, in the high-resolution versions of the Safari and Notes icons, you can see details such as the accurate contours of the continents behind the compass and the torn paper left by the previous note.

Add detail and depth. Don’t hesitate to draw very small elements, because the high-resolution version of your artwork allows much more room for fine details. For example, a 1-pixel dot in your original image becomes a 4-pixel dot (that is, 2 x 2 pixels) in the larger version.

• Reply 71 of 286

Quote:

^^this.

I love my "new iPad" retina display.  I love my iPhone 5 (and iPhone 4S before it) retina display.

Never ever in a trillion years will I go back to a non-retina display like the iPad 2.  It is so obviously inferior to me that frankly I'm embarassed by Apple today.  This is a serious downgrade.

Let's be honest.  Apple felt rushed to release the iPad mini to head off competition from the Google Nexus and Amazon Fire.  Today we witnessed Apple introducing a product that takes a step back so they can block the competition.

But they even screwed that up.  The resolution on the Nexus and Fire are higher than this POS.  *AND* they are charging at $100 more?  The gall.

If I owned AAPL today I would *sell sell sell*.

I'm going to repost your quote when APPL is trading for $1000. Just because.

• Reply 72 of 286
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I can't wait to see one in person. I'm hoping when you see it and use it the price tag will be justified. Unfortunately Amazon and Google have set in people's minds that smaller tablets shouldn't cost more than $299 (or $199).

Hence Apple stores.

• Reply 73 of 286
    It can't be understated how wrong it is that the mini will ship with a 1024x768 display. Apple created the Retina ideal, they marketed it, they made it something people expect in their devices. Now Apple's closest competitor is absolutely blowing them away on the all important PPI measure. Forget that the iPad mini can't touch the Nexus 7, in a week Google's 10 inch Nexus tablet is going to embarrass the actually-"Retina" iPad as well. The last figure I read was 2560x1600 and >300 PPI. What makes me sad is that consumers won't the glaring omission in the iPad mini, because of the cache Apple built for itself and because most people are generally ignorant.
  • Reply 74 of 286
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jasenj1 wrote: »
    iPad comparison chart: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/compare

I see no reason to buy the iPad 2 now. It's completely outspeced by the mini in everything but size.

I have to believe Phil's emphasis on apps was meant to ward off the comparison to other tablets based on screen resolution. Sure, other screens have more pixels, but what can you put IN the pixels? I'm not knowledgeable enough on Android tablets to know how good or bad the tablet apps really are.

And the market did not like the price. AAPL dropped $10 when the mini price was revealed.

- Jasen.
    I don't get Wall Street. There were never any reliable leaks that this thing would be as cheap as Amazon and Nexus. Heck, some were speculating $329 for 8GB.I wish they could have hit the $299 price point but they were never going to compete at the bottom end.
  • Reply 75 of 286

What time is the pre-order on the 26th, is it midnight EST or PST time?

• Reply 76 of 286
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Sign me up for two right off the bat. I also want, no... NEED, one of those 27" iMac's, and boy do I fancy one of those lovely 13" MBP's. Damn! Xmas has gone way over budget already!

You could temporarily convert to Judaism for Hanukkah, then revert to Christianity for Christmas, when thats over adopt Kwanzaa. That way you can get all three presents for yourself. Problem solved.

• Reply 77 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Anyone who's thinking of buying the iPad mini will likely be disappointed come next March, when Apple will release iPad mini 2nd gen with much better internals. Right now, it's still A5, that's just rediculous, it's a processor 2 generations behind! It'll be outdated quickly, and with a lot of competition on the 7-inch space, Apple, will have to upgrade it in March'13 for sure.

I'd hold off buying it for $329 right now. The 4th gen iPad is a much better deal.

I am happy with the updated Mac Mini, but I am on the fence regarding the iPad Mini. I like the size and don't really care about the lack of retina display, but I wish they would have simply stated that it doesn't have a retina display instead of playing up that it "has the same resolution as the iPad 2!!!" REALLY? I really hate hyperbole and obsfucation of the truth.  Grrrr. Also, an A5 Processor? The iPad Mini is really obsolete before it hits the streets (based on how fast Apple drops support for hardware in iOS).

I really think Apple should have made the iPad Mini and low end iPad equal to the "old" iPad 3. Oh well, off to pick up a new Mac Mini next month. 

• Reply 78 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

$329, huh ...?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Yeah -- good luck with that, Apple ....

FAIL

And yet the $499 iPad outsells the rest of the $199 crap, or the Android 2.3 junk selling at $89 at the dollar stores.

• Reply 79 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

They had to make a choice: Retina at a lower price point than the full-size or non-Retina and they made the right choice with lower entry, non-retina to silence the press over screen size differences not worth the price and you know that would have happened.

Also, Wall Street was having a down day -250 points on the Dow, Apple down 6 before the event started.

• Reply 80 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You could temporarily convert to Judaism for Hanukkah, then revert to Christianity for Christmas, when thats over adopt Kwanzaa. That way you can get all three presents for yourself. Problem solved.

Belief in an organized religion is not a requirement to be a consumer. Problem solved.