Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329

Comments

• Reply 201 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Look geniuses ....

We're all Apple fans here, that's why we're -- here ....

But we all know, perhaps better than the non-Apple faithful, that not everything's a home run.

You know "Cult Of Mac", right?

They kiss Apple's ass so much, it's embarassing to see themselves described as "journalists".

Well, here's what they have to say about the iPad Mini ....

The iPad Mini was announced today, and frankly, it missed the mark.

The iPad Mini will simply have no effect on non-Apple users.

Apple needed to go $299 or less to make the iPad Mini seep into consumers heads and play devil's advocate.

At $329, that simply isn't going to happen ....

And I agree.

Wholeheartadly.

I looks nice & all, but $330?!?

NOBODY'S GONNA BUY THAT.

Just accept that sooner rather than later & it'll hurt a lot less.

You'll see.

Go back to your basement, silly man. (Clearly, that's where you must live -- in your mom's house -- if you can't afford $30 for the incredible quality that Apple offers relative to the pathetic lay of the land that passes for 'competition.')

• Reply 202 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I also don't get the complaints. The iPad Mini display is better than the first and second generation iPads. Engineering is about balance. Apple wanted to deliver a mini product at a reasonable cost. If it puts a retina display in, the price goes up substantially because it has to pay more for the display and put in a better processor to power it. 

People also forget Apple has to drive excitement and sales every quarter. Apple will update the product. 

The question now is when? 6 months from now, a year from now? I'd love to buy a iPad mini but not if a updated version is coming out in 6 months. See the dilemma Apple caused today? It could potentially cost them to lose sales.

If you want or need to buy something, you can only buy what's available now (what's in the wagon) in salesman-speak... you decide what best does the job and go with that decision..

If Apple catered to someone like you who dithers rather than decides -- they'd never sell anything!

• Reply 203 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smartcat View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin

The A5 is not 2 generations behind. It is the previous generation. The A5X is nothing more than an A5 with 2 extra GPU cores to drive the retina display. The iPad mini does not need the extra cores - the A5 can handle the display. Furthermore, the newest iPod touch also uses the A5, in fact, the iPad 2, iPad mini and newest iPod touch are basically the same device EXCEPT for the screen size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

A5 is being used in iPad that's 2 generations behind, if you really like to keep your point correct. I'm sorry, but A5 is still underwhelming no matter how you spin it.

For $329 it has to be an A6. Not asking a lot here. No retina display is fine. But, throwing in A5 kills the deal. Not because the dual A5 is slow but we have moved into A6 era.

That makes no sense at all as the A6 is overkill for the device...

Put another way... are you willing to pay $379 for a 16 GB mini with an A6?

• Reply 204 of 286
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    If you want or need to buy something, you can only buy what's available now (what's in the wagon) in salesman-speak... you decide what best does the job and go with that decision..

If Apple catered to someone like you who dithers rather than decides -- they'd never sell anything!

How many "deciders" did they piss off today? I don't mind deciding I just don't want my device abandoned after 6 months.
  • Reply 205 of 286
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    wovel wrote: »
    Yeah that 10% price difference will make all the difference! Come on, what planet are you people from.

And that extra 9/10 of a cent you pay per gallon of gas just rounds down and falls off the page.
    What planet are you from? I do marketing for a living- not that that makes me a guru or expert, but to suggest price points don't affect emotional responses or mental blocks is insane. The jump from 299 to 329 is nothing- but it's everything. I'm sure apple weighed out what they would lose in sales with the extra $30 compared to the lower margins at the $299. They might be right, they might be wrong. No one will ever know- but they're pretty smart folks over in Cupertino.
    But again- to suggest its "just 10%" is simplifying it.
  • Reply 206 of 286
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Anybody complaining about plastic on Nexus 7 hasn't used one. Everyone thought it was leather or rubber when it first came out. I love the feel of it. And the durability. I've dropped mine from waist height on to ceramic floors. Twice. And on to hardwood while falling asleep in bed holding it. Not a scratch.

You can bet that I won't be touching my new iPads until there's a case on there.

For the price charged, it's a phenomenal value.

And then there's portability. The Nexus 7 fits in my jacket pockets. And my jeans pockets. And I'm a normal sized male. I'm curious to see where the iPad mini fits on that scale.

The only valid complaint against the Nexus 7 is the poor quality of tablet apps on Android. Hardware and value? No way.
  • Reply 207 of 286
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How many "deciders" did they piss off today? I don't mind deciding I just don't want my device abandoned after 6 months.

The iPod Touch has always been one generation behind.   I dont recall iPod support being abandoned after 6 months from release.  Why would iPad mini be any different?  Dont hold your breath for them to put in the same bleeding edge processor as in the big brother iPad generation. It will always be one generate behind. Just like iPod touch is always one generation behind iPhone.  When the iPad goes to A7, you will see the A6 in the mini.   That I am sure.  It wont be 6 mo from now either. It will be after the iPhone 5S gets the A7.  Most likely same time next year.  

• Reply 208 of 286
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Anybody complaining about plastic on Nexus 7 hasn't used one. Everyone thought it was leather or rubber when it first came out. I love the feel of it. And the durability. I've dropped mine from waist height on to ceramic floors. Twice. And on to hardwood while falling asleep in bed holding it. Not a scratch.

You can bet that I won't be touching my new iPads until there's a case on there.

For the price charged, it's a phenomenal value.

And then there's portability. The Nexus 7 fits in my jacket pockets. And my jeans pockets. And I'm a normal sized male. I'm curious to see where the iPad mini fits on that scale.

The only valid complaint against the Nexus 7 is the poor quality of tablet apps on Android. Hardware and value? No way.

Hey jets cool you are a Nexus fan. What kind of sales volume do you think iPad mini will do during the holiday season?

• Reply 209 of 286
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes.  Are you kidding me?  I'd also pay a lot more for a 13" MBP with a GPU.

• Reply 210 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

I have to wonder how many of these new in 2012 products are market demand driven but were items SJ nixed or said "no" to. How many times did he say "no" to an iPad mini? It takes fortitude and convinced you are right in spite of the polls stubborn streak a mile wide to say "no" to a product when there is a demand for it. Now they are seeing the light of day when he isn't around to say "no"

How many times did he say no, but really meant no not yet, or it's not good enough yet? 

• Reply 211 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Yes.  Are you kidding me?  I'd also pay a lot more for a 13" MBP with a GPU.

you are in luck. I think you can still get a 13" MBP with GPU; and even for less money.  :-P  win-win for you?

edit: well used maybe.

• Reply 212 of 286
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems stupid to me.  I think Jobs would have eaten the $30 and said $299.  

I mean it's not *that* great and it's almost 50% more expensive than the competition.  I know they are under no pressure to lower prices and could have even made it $350 and it would still have sold, but the extra $30 seems petty to me.  

But you're looking at as an extra $30. As you note, maybe it was a drop of $20 to get to a price point that would sell out and kill off the Android market. Remember, Apple doesn't have to match their competiton 1:1 on price to beat them. They offer things their competition simply can't match and this tablet has plenty of that.

If you look at the MS Surface RT — which I think will sell better than most $199 tablets — it has a weak resolution, is designed only or landscape mode, has no apps or ecosystem, and if you want to make a notebook replacement (which seems to be their goal) you really need the 64GB at $700 plus another $130 for the Type Cover. At that price you might as well just get an ultrabook-class notebook with a Core processor.
  • Reply 213 of 286

I wouldn't say it's overkill as it'll surely be in next year (and I think the year after that will have a 326 PPI 2048x1536 Retina display using the Rogue6 GPU) but it's silly to expect that they put that chip into this budget tablet. it's to the iPad as the Touch is to the iPhone.
  • Reply 214 of 286
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Refurbished iPad 16GB (3rd gen) for $379 seems like a much better bargain.
  • Reply 215 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wouldn't say it's overkill as it'll surely be in next year (and I think the year after that will have a 326 PPI 2048x1536 Retina display using the Rogue6 GPU) but it's silly to expect that they put that chip into this budget tablet. it's to the iPad as the Touch is to the iPhone.

its become obvious that Apple is going to address low prices competitors using previous generation (or two) parts.  Free iPhone (2 generation old components), $99 iPhone (1 generation old components), Cheapest iPod Touch (2 generation old components), iPod Touch (1 generation old components).   I am going to predict that when (not if) Google and Amazon drop they price on their cheap tablets Apple will offer a 2 generation old components in the further cost reduced iPad Mini.

Next year expect to see the current 16GB iPad Mini (A5 CPU) for $229 or $199.   With A6 CPU and 16GB, $329 or $299.  Call me on it.

• Reply 216 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Refurbished iPad 16GB (3rd gen) for $379 seems like a much better bargain.

I'm not so sure.  That ~$100 gets you one year more of life support and resale value.   Kind of like iPhone 4S vs 5.  Yeah its $100 cheaper.. but...

I don't believe in bargains.. you get what you pay for.

• Reply 217 of 286
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

I'm not so sure.  That ~$100 gets you one year more of life support and resale value.   Kind of like iPhone 4S vs 5.  Yeah its $100 cheaper.. but...

I don't believe in bargains.. you get what you pay for.

Last time I checked, $379 - $329 = $50. It's a $50 difference between the refurbished iPad 3 and the iPad mini and you get:

A5X processor with better graphics.

Retina Display (after having a Retina display iPad, I can't go back)

And it still comes with a one-year warranty.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad3

• Reply 218 of 286
    So what do those other "popular" Android-based tablets weigh and how thick are they compared to the iPad mini?
  • Reply 219 of 286

So developers don't NEED to rewrite their apps for the 20% smaller screen. I agree it should work quite well. But is Apple going to offer a different screen size option for developers who want to offer slight differences on the Mini? Do their own apps (mail, calendar etc) all just scale down or were they adjusted?

Also does it just double the resolution of an iPhone app now like the iPad 2 does, but reduce the size 80%? Currently the double size doesn't quite fill the whole iPad2's screen (and it doubles the SD app rather than the retina app) - so there's potential to use the retina version and perform some scaling (at a performance penalty). Then again - it's increasing the app's screen size, so only being 90% bigger really isn't a big deal. The double resolution of retina apps, when double-sized on the non-retina screen, would be good though.

I haven't seen the above mentioned anywhere... so interested if anyone has heard or seen!

• Reply 220 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

No one will ever know

Really?

That's a laughable assertion. Check back with us when the numbers come out in January, will ya?