Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329

Comments

• Reply 161 of 286
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There was the A6 and now there's the A6X so it is in fact 2 generations old

You're making a really, really lame argument here and by your own argument ... it would be 1.5 generations old at most anyway.  

One could also quite rationally argue that there is the "5" generation and the "6" generation and anything with an X is not actually a separate generation.  This would make it only one generation old.  

• Reply 162 of 286

Seems pretty reasonably priced to me, but I see Apple likely to drop that to $299 at some point in the near future, probably after Xmas. 

I'm buying two of them. One for me and one for the wife. 

• Reply 163 of 286
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    You're making a really, really lame argument here and by your own argument ... it would be 1.5 generations old at most anyway.  

One could also quite rationally argue that there is the "5" generation and the "6" generation and anything with an X is not actually a separate generation.  This would make it only one generation old.  

But its another processor, doesn't matter if its a minor bump of the previous one, which being twice as fast as the old one isn't a minor bump you know.
  • Reply 164 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Look geniuses ....

We're all Apple fans here, that's why we're -- here ....

But we all know, perhaps better than the non-Apple faithful, that not everything's a home run.

You know "Cult Of Mac", right?

They kiss Apple's ass so much, it's embarassing to see themselves described as "journalists".

Well, here's what they have to say about the iPad Mini ....

The iPad Mini was announced today, and frankly, it missed the mark.

The iPad Mini will simply have no effect on non-Apple users.

Apple needed to go $299 or less to make the iPad Mini seep into consumers heads and play devil's advocate.

At $329, that simply isn't going to happen ....

And I agree.

Wholeheartadly.

I looks nice & all, but $330?!?

NOBODY'S GONNA BUY THAT.

Just accept that sooner rather than later & it'll hurt a lot less.

You'll see.

You're going to look like a right tit come Xmas image

• Reply 165 of 286
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Jacqui from arstechnica.com said the iPad mini feels different than the regular iPad. Se said if felt "cheaper"' but I'm wondering if they figured out a way to make the aluminum more durable and scratch resistant and that's why it feels different?

So far every initial impression I've seen from the tech sites love these products, just not the price of the mini. I hope Apple didn't make a mistake by not eating the $30.
  • Reply 166 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by csdigitalworks View Post

…a two generation old processor…

NOT two generations old. One generation old.

Tallest Skil......

A5X & A6X, by anyone's math that's 2

• Reply 167 of 286
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    andysol wrote: »
    I don't like the $329 price point.  $279 or $249 would have been better.  Its the exact same as the iPod Touch for $130 more (for 32gb)- larger, but non-retina screen is the only difference.

Edit: I still think it will sell like freakin' hotcakes.

Someone shopping for the miniaturization of a touch is not shopping for a mini, and visa versa.
    Miniaturization is its own premium.
  • Reply 168 of 286

Originally Posted by csdigitalworks View Post

A5X & A6X, by anyone's math that's 2

Except no. The A5 and the A5X are the same processor. The A6 and A6X are the same processor. The difference is the GPU cores. You will never see an iPhone with an A5X or A6X. They just don't need them. 

• Reply 169 of 286
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I would prefer a 299 price point but the mini really is a good quality product. My expectation was the [S]ipad 2 specs [/S]in a very light package and we got just that.

The device is perfect for its intended usage.

Edit: Actually the iPad mini does have better internals than the ipad2. It shares the A5 with it, but everything else has been upgrade (cameras, LTE,...)
  • Reply 170 of 286
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If you had kept up with the news you would have heard that Steve was completely on board with iPad Mini. Do not confuse a few comments during a marketing session as policy or even somebodies vision. Frankly I'm not sure where all this garbage come from, most likely ignorant people stirring the pot.
    gary54 wrote: »
    I have to wonder how many of these new in 2012 products are market demand driven but were items SJ nixed or said "no" to. How many times did he say "no" to an iPad mini? It takes fortitude and convinced you are right in spite of the polls stubborn streak a mile wide to say "no" to a product when there is a demand for it. Now they are seeing the light of day when he isn't around to say "no"
  • Reply 171 of 286

I am really curious if they have done anything to address glare on the screen.  Find a solution for that and this will be an amazing reading device!

• Reply 172 of 286
    Except no. The A5 and the A5X are the same processor. The A6 and A6X are the same processor. The difference is the GPU cores. You will never see an iPhone with an A5X or A6X. They just don't need them. 

Do you read what you write? If there's a difference then they are not the same.
  • Reply 173 of 286
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The one only ignorance here is the idea that ppi is the only important parameter when it comes to buying a new device.
    ajleuer wrote: »
    It can't be understated how wrong it is that the mini will ship with a 1024x768 display. Apple created the Retina ideal, they marketed it, they made it something people expect in their devices. Now Apple's closest competitor is absolutely blowing them away on the all important PPI measure. Forget that the iPad mini can't touch the Nexus 7, in a week Google's 10 inch Nexus tablet is going to embarrass the actually-"Retina" iPad as well. The last figure I read was 2560x1600 and >300 PPI. What makes me sad is that consumers won't the glaring omission in the iPad mini, because of the cache Apple built for itself and because most people are generally ignorant.
  • Reply 174 of 286
    nht wrote: »
    I wonder if they didn't just move the ipad to an october cycle...no ipad update until spring 2014?  That doesn't seem likely.  Another full sized iPad update in six months?  That doesn't seem likely either.  Go to an ARM A15 based A7 processor?
    Agreed on the cycle date. I have an iPad 3rd gen and I'm happy with it and also if the cycle date is moved to October... Or I given the iPad a minor upgrade now and come next year a major update for the iPad?
  • Reply 175 of 286

Quote:

You're going to look like a right tit come Xmas image

No, he looks like that right now.  Apple will sell every single one of these they can build between now and Xmas.

IMO this is more desirable than the iPad 2 they were still selling millions of them for $399 with zero advertising.

They won't be able to keep Minis on the shelf until 2013.

• Reply 176 of 286
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

When Apple does their pricing right it always causes one agony deciding which model.  At $329 for mini, $399 for iPad 2, and $499 iPad Retina, I'd say they got it right.

It does cause me agony and in the end they up sell me.   I think the mini will be fine for a lot of people for which its fits their needs . However, I'm glad they also announced the 4th Gen iPad Retina with A6X; That is the one which meets my needs.

I've tried 7" tablet before and they leave a lot to be desired for my use case (reading comic books, magazines, news papers). They are barely more useful then an iPhone with Retina.   As others have said before, "..people dont want tablets, they want iPads".  I'm not sure if I'd call the iPad mini an iPad.  Its a different use case.  One which does not fit my needs like the original iPad.  As tempting a the price is, it wont meet my needs and I'm going to get the original sized Retina 4th Gen iPad.  Damn those Apple marketing guys.. they always do this to me! 

• Reply 177 of 286
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

I dont see an error in what he wrote.  He said the Core processor is the same.  The GPU is different.

• Reply 178 of 286
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

You're just being an idiot and won't admit that you were wrong in the first place.  If the "A5X" was a different generation from the "A5" then they would have called it the "A6" (different generation get it?).  The very fact that they used the "x" means that it's a modified chip of the same generation.  

• Reply 179 of 286
    snova wrote: »
    I dont see an error in what he wrote.  He said the Core processor is the same.  The GPU is different.

And are those GPU cores within the CPU? And are they not processors as well?
  • Reply 180 of 286
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Look geniuses ....

We're all Apple fans here, that's why we're -- here ....

But we all know, perhaps better than the non-Apple faithful, that not everything's a home run.

You know "Cult Of Mac", right?

They kiss Apple's ass so much, it's embarassing to see themselves described as "journalists".

Well, here's what they have to say about the iPad Mini ....

The iPad Mini was announced today, and frankly, it missed the mark.

The iPad Mini will simply have no effect on non-Apple users.

Apple needed to go $299 or less to make the iPad Mini seep into consumers heads and play devil's advocate.

At $329, that simply isn't going to happen ....

And I agree.

Wholeheartadly.

I looks nice & all, but $330?!?

NOBODY'S GONNA BUY THAT.

Just accept that sooner rather than later & it'll hurt a lot less.

You'll see.

Yes, but you are asking Apple to play a game it can't win. A Dell versus HP race to the bottom type of game. We can all disagree about the magic price point, but for Apple to go lower in price, it has to give something up. As a business it makes money on the sale of the hardware. It isn't Amazon that locks users into an account scheme in hopes of making a profit on content. It isn't Google that collects your information, and uses that to target ads to you and also tries to make money on content sales. Google and Amazon can sell the device at break even. That is not Apple's business model. It offers a premium product. 

There are already people claiming Apple should have included the A6 processor and a Retina Display for LESS money than $329. These people aren't putting things in perspective. Currently, for $140 more Apple provides its customers with a metal enclosure (versus the Nexus 7's cheap plastic), 16GB of Ram (as opposed to the Nexus 7's 8 GBs of RAM), and 2 cameras including a 5 MB rear facing camera (as opposed to the Nexus 7's mere front facing camera).

Perhaps, to come closer to the Nexus 7 price you want Apple to  give up 8 GBs of Ram, the metal enclosure, and the 5GB rear facing camera. I, for one, will pay the extra money for a better quality and more usable product. 

You watch, Apple will announce a week or two after the product is offered blow out sales. Six months from now Apple can give the product an update.