Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329

Comments

• Reply 181 of 286
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But its another processor, doesn't matter if its a minor bump of the previous one, which being twice as fast as the old one isn't a minor bump you know.

You said "generation" which means a specific thing.  In this case, a "5x" is still of the same generation as a "5."

• Reply 182 of 286
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The one only ignorance here is the idea that ppi is the only important parameter when it comes to buying a new device.

I also don't get the complaints. The iPad Mini display is better than the first and second generation iPads. Engineering is about balance. Apple wanted to deliver a mini product at a reasonable cost. If it puts a retina display in, the price goes up substantially because it has to pay more for the display and put in a better processor to power it. 

People also forget Apple has to drive excitement and sales every quarter. Apple will update the product. 

• Reply 183 of 286
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanExtremists View Post

My tablet is always in a leather case/stand.  I never get to see any plastic.  I only care about aluminum in my car!

Well I certainly respect your view, but I don't share it. Apple apparently thinks the same way I do. Aluminum is 1) more durable 2) weighs less, 3) prettier, 4) more environmentally friendly, 5) can be made thinner, and 6) helps preserve the resale value better. I for one don't use a case on my iPad. 

• Reply 184 of 286
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    boxmaccary wrote: »
    Look geniuses ....
    We're all Apple fans here, that's why we're -- here ....
    But we all know, perhaps better than the non-Apple faithful, that not everything's a home run.
    You know "Cult Of Mac", right?
    They kiss Apple's ass so much, it's embarassing to see themselves described as "journalists".
    Well, here's what they have to say about the iPad Mini ....

The iPad Mini was announced today, and frankly, it missed the mark.
    The iPad Mini will simply have no effect on non-Apple users.
    Apple needed to go $299 or less to make the iPad Mini seep into consumers heads and play devil's advocate.
    At $329, that simply isn't going to happen ....

And I agree.
    Wholeheartadly.
    I looks nice & all, but $330?!?
    NOBODY'S GONNA BUY THAT.
    Just accept that sooner rather than later & it'll hurt a lot less.
    You'll see.

Yeah that 10% price difference will make all the difference! Come on, what planet are you people from.
  • Reply 185 of 286
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    You said "generation" which means a specific thing.  In this case, a "5x" is still of the same generation as a "5."

I stand corrected but it's nonetheless 2 processors behind.
  • Reply 186 of 286
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    tjwal wrote: »
    The Fire HD is $130 less.

The fire HD is smaller and slower. A better comparison is the Fire HD 8.9" which is bigger with a similar processor and still $30 less.
  • Reply 187 of 286
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

And are those GPU cores within the CPU? And are they not processors as well?

dude, have you considered a career as a political spin writer? wow.. seriously? I guess there is no need to continue.

• Reply 188 of 286
    tbell wrote: »

I also don't get the complaints. The iPad Mini display is better than the first and second generation iPads. Engineering is about balance. Apple wanted to deliver a mini product at a reasonable cost. If it puts a retina display in, the price goes up substantially because it has to pay more for the display and put in a better processor to power it. 

People also forget Apple has to drive excitement and sales every quarter. Apple will update the product. 

The question now is when? 6 months from now, a year from now? I'd love to buy a iPad mini but not if a updated version is coming out in 6 months. See the dilemma Apple caused today? It could potentially cost them to lose sales.
  • Reply 189 of 286
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, but you are asking Apple to play a game it can't win. A Dell versus HP race to the bottom type of game. We can all disagree about the magic price point, but for Apple to go lower in price, it has to give something up. As a business it makes money on the sale of the hardware. It isn't Amazon that locks users into an account scheme in hopes of making a profit on content. It isn't Google that collects your information, and uses that to target ads to you and also tries to make money on content sales. Google and Amazon can sell the device at break even. That is not Apple's business model. It offers a premium product. 

There are already people claiming Apple should have included the A6 processor and a Retina Display for LESS money than $329. These people aren't putting things in perspective. Currently, for $140 more Apple provides its customers with a metal enclosure (versus the Nexus 7's cheap plastic), 16GB of Ram (as opposed to the Nexus 7's 8 GBs of RAM), and 2 cameras including a 5 MB rear facing camera (as opposed to the Nexus 7's mere front facing camera).

Perhaps, to come closer to the Nexus 7 price you want Apple to  give up 8 GBs of Ram, the metal enclosure, and the 5GB rear facing camera. I, for one, will pay the extra money for a better quality and more usable product. 

You watch, Apple will announce a week or two after the product is offered blow out sales. Six months from now Apple can give the product an update. 

you get what you pay for.  The price is quite fair for what you get. Its not a steal against full sized iPad by any means. Which is a good thing. Its positioned well against the full sized iPad and causes people some pause.   I get the same feeling when its time to buy a Mac.  So their pricing strategy makes sense. 

• Reply 190 of 286
    snova wrote: »
    dude, have you considered a career as a political spin writer? wow.. seriously? I guess there is no need to continue.

Ah years and years of spin doctoring practice with my girlfriends lol.
  • Reply 191 of 286
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

The question now is when? 6 months from now, a year from now? I'd love to buy a iPad mini but not if a updated version is coming out in 6 months. See the dilemma Apple caused today? It could potentially cost them to lose sales.

At this point I think they are totally banking on holiday sales and I'm guessing they will sell all 10 million they ordered. Once the word of mouth effect kicks in, it will start to really gain momentum. Even if there is an early refresh the market will absorb all of the original iPad mini hand me downs and resales just like it did with the original iPad. Six months, one year, it makes no difference.

• Reply 192 of 286
    mstone wrote: »
    At this point I think they are totally banking on holiday sales and I'm guessing they will sell all 10 million they ordered. Once the word of mouth effect kicks in, it will start to really gain momentum. Even if there is an early refresh the market will absorb all of the original iPad mini hand me downs and resales just like it did with the original iPad. Six months, one year, it makes no difference.

Not in my case and I guarantee I'm not alone.
  • Reply 193 of 286
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin
    The A5 is not 2 generations behind. It is the previous generation. The A5X is nothing more than an A5 with 2 extra GPU cores to drive the retina display. The iPad mini does not need the extra cores - the A5 can handle the display. Furthermore, the newest iPod touch also uses the A5, in fact, the iPad 2, iPad mini and newest iPod touch are basically the same device EXCEPT for the screen size.
    A5 is being used in iPad that's 2 generations behind, if you really like to keep your point correct. I'm sorry, but A5 is still underwhelming no matter how you spin it.

For $329 it has to be an A6. Not asking a lot here. No retina display is fine. But, throwing in A5 kills the deal. Not because the dual A5 is slow but we have moved into A6 era.
  • Reply 194 of 286
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not in my case and I guarantee I'm not alone.

You snooze you lose. (or luz, looz, not sure) as someone was complaining earlier that people don't know how to spell. If you don't pre-order you will likely be standing in line.

• Reply 195 of 286
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Do you read what you write? If there's a difference then they are not the same.

Different but the same generation. Both are Cortex A9 based with a 543 based GPU.

The A6s are "A15 class" also with a 543 based GPU and the next gen.

The clue for any rational person is the x in the Ax denotes a generation.

The A4 is two generations old.
  • Reply 196 of 286
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Other things no one has brought up yet ...

- not one "hands on" that I've seen mentions anything about the smaller bezels (is it harder to pick up or hold? yes? No?)
    - no reviewers mention one of the most obvious things ... thumb typing in portrait mode.  (works?  Yes? No?)

Jaqui at Ars said you can thumb type in portrait on the mini about as well as on the iPhone.

No one has commented that it is harder to hold so I'm guessing its not an issue.
  • Reply 197 of 286
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Still happy with my Nexus 7. Significantly higher ppi screen and it fits in my jacket pocket. And a whopping 25% cheaper, not including the Play Store credit.

How ironic that Apple is now pushing screen size over ppi.

Best part of this announcement? iPad 3 price cuts. I bought two 32GB iPads.
  • Reply 198 of 286
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Cult of Mac has an interesting blog post on the iPad. Basically questioning what the pitch was. And I have to agree I was very baffled at the way Schiller was pitching this product. One minute talking about how you can easily use it with one hand the next minute talking about how it's so much better than smaller tablets because of the larger real estate. And why spend so much time comparing it to the Nexus 7 when it's a lot more expensive? Clearly Apple views it as a superior device hence the higher price point. But where was the compelling pitch to justify the price? In the Verge's review of the device they say it makes the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire feel like toys. Why didn't Schiller spend more time talking up the build quality of the device? Yeah he threw out a reference to aluminum vs plastic but he didn't spend much time on it. The bigget pitch he made was its great for web browsing. Where was the focus on education or textbooks? How about some textbook or other amazing app demos? I think this could be a very compelling device I just didn't get the pitch. In fact I'm seeing on the web and twitter a lot of people saying the star of the show today was the new iMac, not the iPad mini. I'm not sure that was what Apple intended.
  • Reply 199 of 286
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vorst View Post

There was no way Apple could include retina display with a resolution that is compatible for the current application. They had to double the resolution (compared to iPad2) to make it compatible, which is even a higher pixel density then the iPhone Retina. All ipad apps with the Mini are 100% compatible and optimized for the screen area. Most Andriod apps are stretched phone application because they need to be compatible with many different size tablets. The iPad mini pixel density is higher then the iPad 1 and 2. You maybe positive surprised by this.

Also I can't figure out why people can't see what great software they produce for iPad (eduction, text books, music instrument apps, music, ibook store etc, iCloud, email solution, iPhoto, iMovie etc). Not talking about the super quality hardware (aluminum back, very stable hardware and OS, etc)

Good post. I wasn't expecting a Retina display, and if it had one then extra graphics cores would have been needed to drive four times the number of pixels. This warms the iPad 3 - not intolerably so, but it has been noted, and has increased power draw. With the mini using a smaller enclosure and a smaller battery to keep weight down, there would have been compromises here.

I was hoping for an A6 though.

Price is OK for Wifi models, but I expect the price premium for 3G/4G on Android devices may make Apple's extra $129 look embarrassing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There was the A6 and now there's the A6X so it is in fact 2 generations old

Nope. That's not a generation the A6X the same architecture and speed for general tasks as the A6. The X is for extra graphic cores needed for a large Retina display.

• Reply 200 of 286
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Maybe. But Apple products are starting to have A LOT of overlap, now that they've kept:

iPhone 4S, iPod Touch (4th gen), iPad 2 (9.7"), the iPod Classic, MacBook Pro (non-Retina). I was pretty sure Apple was going to thin things out, but they're just one step removed from consumer confusion.

Yeah, that was one interesting and meaningful stat Tim Cook didn't state:  Apple now has more SKU's than ever before - or least since Jobs returned and slashed the number to rebuild the company from scratch.  And in fact this is probably the first time I can't identify and price the entire hardware line without looking it up. And it's arguable that the simplicity - and "graspibility" of their line-up has been part of their marketing success when the competition still cluelessly releases their XD7800HDpx's and whatnots....

So the question is, will this be about the max (until they release some whole new device class), or can we expect to see a gradually but continually growing number of products coming with an Apple logo? Or conversely, if they cut their costs on retina notebook screens, no 'tweener less expensive MBpros?

PS: The whining about the "early" upgrade of the iPad to gen 4 is related - I like to see the newest stuff released as soon as possible, but there was some comfort in knowing you wouldn't be obsoleted in less than a year in most of their products.  

Bottom line: Success across the whole line and fast-as-feasible new tech execution are variables that can introduce their own challenges for the company and its customers.  But there are far worse problems to have.  Just ask RIM or Nokia.....

But for those discomfited, I imagine Gazelle is delighted at all of today's iOS related announcements.   I.e., if you have a "new iPad" and sell it (on your own for more or painlessly through a service like theirs), you can stay current for a fraction of the price of the specc'd up successor device.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Amazon's ambition is tiny compared to Apple's. Everyone makes it out to be something that contends with Apple... not even close. Their entire ecosystem (hardware, software, content) is mostly US based. Apple is all over the world. If ecosystems were islands, Amazon would be Iceland and Apple would be Greenland.

More like Amazon as Iceland and Apple as Europe...  ...Greenland always looks bigger than it is  on flat (Mercator projection?) maps...