Forstall's firing reportedly met with 'quiet jubilation' at Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    macondo wrote: »
    HAHAHAHA. They realized iOS and OSX need converge instead of diverge. MS/Win8 showed them the way once again.

They started that well before MS did but the right way. Aspects are the same but the UIs are as is most appropriate for each style of hardware. Not this abomination that is Win 8 with the mouse appropriate dialog boxes on a touch screen etc
  • Reply 22 of 127
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    So they're saying he was fired at short notice and didn't leave of his own accord. I don't think it's right to automatically assume he was the problem in all this though. He might just have tried to stand his ground on certain issues. We shouldn't label someone an asshole until we know why people think of them that way. It might turn out to be the case that the people being left in control are the assholes. No matter which it is, it's never good when talented staff leave a company. There's a reason he has been at Apple for 15 years.

Imagine if he went to work at Google and brought his knowledge of iOS to help improve Android.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Gentlemen, Start Your Spin-gines!

• Reply 24 of 127
    People understandably are rooting for Ive because of his good reputation in hardware designs. But to me, that's not very relevant. In the end, Cook needs to step up as the CEO, he's the person who's ultimately responsible for all the mistakes made during his time as CEO. Everyone makes mistakes, Ive is not God, it's Cook's ability to manage possible problems over time that'd determine how well AAPL can do overall going forward. 

CEOs can't do everything. Not even God Steve did all the work. He relied on his teams. As does Tim. But if someone is making promises he can't keep, focusing on the wrong aspects while there are major bugs present, not playing nice with others etc, that's something for the CEO to fix as well.

Tim was willing to take one by issuing that apology for the Maps letdown but it likely wasn't his error. He would have expected folks like Forstall to step up and say it isn't and can't be ready. Perhaps Forstall didn't do that. Perhaps he was the one that said 'no problemo' and then didn't pull it off. And yet Forstall wouldn't take an ego hit and apology for his error and the error of his team for the sake of customer good faith.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Many people were happy when Steve Jobs left Apple in the mid-80's. That doesn't mean a person's departure is good for the company.
  • Reply 26 of 127
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

Is the british wal-mart guy still there? The one who wants to cut jobs at the expense of customer experiance? Names escapes me, but if he's still there, hope he's next!!

Browett.  He's gone too, yeah.

• Reply 27 of 127
    macncheez wrote: »
    Good show. Maybe now we can get some more useful features in the Mail app (Sparrow anyone?!) or the friggin' lock screen? Get with the program and innovate on the basic level, so that I can keep on saying: "Shut up and take my money already!" Glad to see Jony Ive behind the wheel on software too.

Define useful. Are they useful to you and the 1% or useful to the 99%. Cause if they are only 'useful' to a limited group it isn't likely to ever happen. Nor is customizing with widgets etc, additional stores etc etc.

The only thing that Ive is likely to change right off is the cute shit like the shadows on the buttons. That was unneeded twat made worse by the bugs that weren't fixed and have caused a huge hit in customer relations. It's bad enough when folks diss because they have unreal views of what a brand new maps app will look like.but coming into stores in even small droves cause their music app isn't workjng, their wifi isn't working, they got 10 overages in less than that many days but they were allegedly on wifi the whole time just like always when their plan is more than enough for the month. I suspect ive will put an end to that. iOS 6 was not the best product it could be and that falls on the team leader to ensure. But Forstall was too busy with his unneeded cute crap. Ive won't be.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    The people at Apple might be celebrating, but as an Apple user and stock owner, I wonder where Forstall will head next and how successful the software he develops there will be at competing with Apple iOS.
  • Reply 29 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Imagine if he went to work at Google and brought his knowledge of iOS to help improve Android.

Yeah, 'cos fake stitched leather and other lame skeuomorphic effects are just what Android needs.

• Reply 30 of 127
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

Is the british wal-mart guy still there? The one who wants to cut jobs at the expense of customer experiance? Names escapes me, but if he's still there, hope he's next!!

Thanks for confirming that folks often don't read the articles they comment on...

• Reply 31 of 127
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Staying on as an advisor is corporate speak for gardening leave. Forstall has left the building.
  • Reply 31 of 127
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macondo View Post

HAHAHAHA. They realized iOS and OSX need converge instead of diverge. MS/Win8 showed them the way once again.

ROFLOL - you mean Win8 pro, win8 home, win8 enterprise, win8 mobile, win8 RT tablet, win8 pro tablet, metro interface, classic interface, etc.... What a cluster fk of FAIL.

• Reply 33 of 127

Originally Posted by SeaNorse View Post

Confirms that maps was a big a disaster within the company.

So lies based on zero actual information = confirmation.

You should work for [insert political party the reader doesn't like here]!

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

So they're saying he was fired at short notice and didn't leave of his own accord.

How short is "short"? Because he got rid of most of his stock a long while ago.

• Reply 34 of 127
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

So they're saying he was fired at short notice and didn't leave of his own accord. I don't think it's right to automatically assume he was the problem in all this though. He might just have tried to stand his ground on certain issues. We shouldn't label someone an asshole until we know why people think of them that way. It might turn out to be the case that the people being left in control are the assholes. No matter which it is, it's never good when talented staff leave a company. There's a reason he has been at Apple for 15 years.

Marvin, Marvin, Marvin - you are a moderator and have over 8,,000 posts and you seem to have little or no understanding of the fact that the removal of Scott was a good thing. How can that be?

• Reply 35 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Staying on as an advisor is corporate speak for gardening leave. Forstall has left the building.

Maybe not. If he's using maps on his iPhone he could still be trying to find his way off the campus...

• Reply 36 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    If this is true (the firing), it's still bad news. Everyone knows Forestall was a bit of a jerk, that's not a good reason to let him go and Jony Ive knows nothign about software.
    I don't believe it anyway as it doesn't explain why he cashed out all his shares a while ago does it? He expected to be fired? He asked to be fired?

I'm not sure Jony needs to be able to code. Sometimes IMHO it is better if a non coder specs and evaluates software as they see things as normal people do rather than as a programmer.
  • Reply 37 of 127
    freerange wrote: »
    ROFLOL - you mean Win8 pro, win8 home, win8 enterprise, win8 mobile, win8 RT tablet, win8 pro tablet, metro interface, classic interface, etc.... What a cluster fk of FAIL.

LOL ... Yep, that's a whole new definition of 'merge' isn't it?
  • Reply 38 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by grover432 View Post

The people at Apple might be celebrating, but as an Apple user and stock owner, I wonder where Forstall will head next and how successful the software he develops there will be at competing with Apple iOS.

Think NeXt

Maybe in 10 years Apple will be buying Forstall's company and asking him to be CEO.

• Reply 39 of 127
    rogifan wrote: »
    god forbid we allow people to branch out and expand their skills/duties. No Ive isn't a software engineer but does he need to be? Good design is good design. And I'm sure he'll have a group of highly qualified software engineers to make vision reality, and who knows perhaps part of this role has to do with Apple's plans in the TV space.

+1
  • Reply 40 of 127
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    My thing is why not release maps to app store and just keep google maps as the default while you ramp up. I this this guy may have been responsible for apple prematurely getting rid of google maps on iOS devices before Apple had a comparable alternative.