Apple announces 3M sales of iPad mini, fourth-gen iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 239
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Again, if they are hiding anything it's the iPad (4) sales. Everything... and i mean everything... points to the iPad mini being a huge success.

I'm guessing 2 million minis and 1 million iPad 4. Also I think the iPad 4 were is short supply as well as the minis. One poster here over the weekend said there were no iPad 4 on display at his Apple Store. 

• Reply 42 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nothing negative about 3M  iPads sold in a single weekend. If you were referring to what I posted it was only to note that Apple declining to be specific with iPad Mini sales figures is likely an indication they're weren't many available for sale in my opinion, not that there wasn't any demand for them. 

I would go with the theory of Apple not providing the competition with valuable inside info. My guess is the mini sold 2M with 1M of the new iPad 4, simply based on price points.

Tim is still the master of supply chain logistics. Double the sales/shipments (therefore production) in 6 months with a completely new product thrown in...without even counting the totally redesigned iP5 ramp!

No other company on earth could have pulled all this off in these volumes...including Samscum!

Great Job!

• Reply 43 of 239
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Considering they only had 950k going to stores....thats a pretty safe bet. Maybe read the article?...
  • Reply 44 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Neither are a focus. They're both a joke. I don't see too many Amazon trolls here, so it's more fun to bash the Nexus.

Apple will have a killer Christmas, and all others will be left in the dust.

The Mini is the first reactionary product I've seen from Apple. You may think they're all a joke, and I agree they're not up to same standard, but if that were true Apple wouldn't have released it in the first place. As has been discussed here, it's been killed internally at Apple a few times in the past. Apple's hedging against what they view as potential competition before it turns serious. 

• Reply 45 of 239
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

And because all the attention is on the iPad mini as anecdotal sales and interest that device indicate it's not smart to ignore your new product hence the iPad and iPad mini weekend sales. Absolutely none of it points to the iPad mini being a flop that needs covering up. I know several people that bought the iPad mini and many interested in it. No one I know has even mentioned selling their 10" iPad for the iPad (4).

Who's saying it was a flop?? (answer: No one)

Making that claim would imply no one really wanted them instead of there weren't many available to buy. Don't inject strawmen as it makes it difficult to have a reasoned discussion.

• Reply 46 of 239
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Perspective: MS sold 4 million copies of Window 8 at $40 in 3 days which has no limit on how many people can buy the software and hadn't had a major revision in 3 years, whereas Apple sold 3 million units of a limited and sold out HW product ranging from $329 to $529 that is being sold right in the middle of pretty much every one of their HW products being updated.

Yes, yes, I know these aren't directly comparable but historically SW is much easier to sell than HW in higher volumes, just as digital copies are much easier than physical copies, and significantly lower prices are much easier to attract buyers than higher prices. It wasn't too long ago that such a thing would have been unheard of between Apple and MS.
  • Reply 47 of 239
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Who's saying it was a flop?? (answer: No one)

Making that claim would imply no one really wanted them instead of there weren't many available to buy. Don't inject strawmen as it makes it difficult to have a reasoned discussion.

That seems to be your implication as to why Apple didn't give an exact number of iPad mini unit sales that exclude the iPad (4) unit sales.
  • Reply 48 of 239
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

The Mini is the first reactionary product I've seen from Apple. You may think they're all a joke, and I agree they're not up to same standard, but if that were true Apple wouldn't have released it in the first place. As has been discussed here, it's been killed internally at Apple a few times in the past. Apple's hedging against what they view as potential competition before it turns serious. 

Mmmm. Dunno.

If it were a reactionary product it would be half the price and made of plastic. Remember the pundits who were predicting a starting price of $199?

This is a high end product built and priced accordingly. It's the same Apple strategy we've been seeing for years: watch the competition, note their mistakes, build something profitable and better. That's not reactionary; that's strategy.

Oh, and lots of products get killed internally, or revised until they're good enough to be released.

• Reply 49 of 239
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

That seems to be your implication as to why Apple didn't give an exact number of iPad mini unit sales that exclude the iPad (4) unit sales.

I suppose if you want to make something up rather than read and comment on what I actually wrote beginning with my very first post in this thread. Of course you'd have less to try and discredit my opinion with then, so I can understand why you might "feel the need" to misdirect.

• Reply 50 of 239
    I suppose if you want to make something up rather than read what I actually wrote beginning with my very first post in this thread. 

"IMHO Apple declining to state weekend sales for the Mini is probably an indication there just weren't very many to sell (rather than no one wanted them). Not Apple-like to avoid announcing product launch figures if they're good. My completely uneducated guess is that fewer than 1M Mini's went home with new owners."

I stand by what I wrote. Regardless of whether you think it's because of lack of buyer interest rather than poor production assuming less than 1 million units is saying it's a flop. Let's remember it's been at least 2 months since we've seen iPad mini leaks that turned out to be legit. That tells me they started ramping up production back then so less than 1 million units produces is tantamount to saying Tim Cook fucked up in the one area that he absolutely no equal.

That is also suggesting they sold 2 million iPad (4)s and yet the iPad mini was so prominent in my store. Let's also remember that it was released in a record breaking 34 countries on the same day. If the number of units were so low you'd think they would have scaled it back to just a few countries like most releases. As it stands that is less than 28k iPad minis per country.

It's a new product with a new level or portability and lowered cost. Even if it's a flop it will still appeal to many early adopters. The iPad (4) not so much. Even Windows Vista had awesome sales out of the gate.
  • Reply 51 of 239
    These statements your are making are not true. The iPod nano and shuffle are reactionary products.
  • Reply 52 of 239
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    drblank wrote: »
    Based on what evidence? When I was at the Apple Store over the weekend, the place was packed and its like this every week end and during the week, they range from spurts of quiet times, shrouded by crowds.
    No matter what, apple is selling product.
    I just got my iPad 4 and love it. I can't wait for the next generation of apps to take advantage of the smoking fast processor.

I would say he was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 53 of 239

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

The iPod nano and shuffle are reactionary products.

To what?

• Reply 54 of 239
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I'm trying to imagine how analysts can put a negative spin on this.

Easy.  

- Apple didn't break out sales of which unit sold how many

- therefore iPad mini sold more units than iPad 4

- therefore iPad isn't popular anymore

- So ... panic!!!

• Reply 55 of 239
    I suppose if you want to make something up rather than read and comment on what I actually wrote beginning with my very first post in this thread. Of course you'd have less to try and discredit my opinion with then, so I can understand why you might "feel the need" to misdirect.
    translation: when google and Amazon say they are selling like hot cakes you believe it. When Apple says it is almost selling lot of a product you don't like, it must not be true.
  • Reply 56 of 239

This is surprising, i have one IPad 4 in those 3M count. :)

• Reply 57 of 239

I wonder how many people bought an iPad v3 over the weekend from uninformed sales people.

• Reply 58 of 239
    To what?
    the plethora of miniature mp3 players that came out before these did...from companies like sony.
  • Reply 59 of 239
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    These statements your are making are not true. The iPod nano and shuffle are reactionary products.

But Apple never said that they wouldn't make a music player that small.
  • Reply 60 of 239
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wonder how many people bought an iPad v3 over the weekend from uninformed sales people.

If somebody's tight on money, the iPad 3's that Apple were selling for $379 is a good buy, IMO.