Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set

Comments

• Reply 21 of 219
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It doesn't. But the rumor has been round for so long that everything is proof it is true.

I still say it will be a revamp of the iTunes Store offerings with things like new pricing, better quality with quick adoption of h.265 etc combined with a new STB and perhaps a revamped Cinema Display that could be used as a TV or a computer monitor.

Agree.  And while his "hint" doesn't prove anything, it's more than Apple has ever given us on the theory of Apple TV. 

• Reply 22 of 219
    Just thinking.... Apple TV as an input to current TV has certain limitations. You have to turn on the TV (duh), and you are focused on that one input. Each TV input stands alone. If Apple makes the TV, it controls all the inputs... then you can get a little creative with UI. Tile all the inputs live, do overlays, integrate all your hardware with your online services in neatly layed out and easy to manouever options. The trick would be controlling/juggling the inputs...
  • Reply 23 of 219
    Although I just bought a 66-inch plasma less than a year ago, I would welcome a TV with a UI that finally rids me of DirecTV's awful slow interface; using the DTV box reminds me of computer speeds 20 years ago.

Just as with the iPhone, Apple will release it, the world will gasp, and we'll all want one.
  • Reply 24 of 219
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    rogifan wrote: »
    How does that comment indicate Apple is planning a television set?
    It doesn't at all- but it sure sounds better for people to click on the title.

I used to be on board with a full fledge but I'm in the camp of a new Apple TV box now. One that can:
    -Run an Internet cable provider like uverse or fios with their own interface.
    -Have a built in DVR
    -Have Apps
    -Be the central hub for things needing the be plugged in (gaming, Blu ray, surround sound, etc- all goes through there).

That in itself would be incredible- and who needs the TV? One box to rule them all.
  • Reply 25 of 219
    Shut Up And Take My Money!
  • Reply 26 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

You and everyone else don't know what you want. But as soon as you see it, you'll know then.

Don't forget that Apple will release it, whatever it is. It will sell like crazy. A year later everyone else has copied it and all the innovation Apple has done on it will be deemed as "obvious" and "stealing". Apple will be the devil when it tries to protect their innovations (whatever they might be) and will be accused of "hindering" innovation ("innovate, don't litigate!). Look for all the Smart TV Implementations to suddenly change direction to include all this "obvious" innovation. Including Google who will do a 180 and reboot their Google TV in about a year to emerge a crappy copy of whatever Apple has done and then they will give the software away to anyone who would want it (including revenue sharing) and then iterate the hell out of it.

I would say that it's about a 99% chance of the above.

• Reply 27 of 219
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How does that comment indicate Apple is planning a television set?

I think it does. Apple choose their words very wisely. Recent history suggest you should pay attention to what they say.

• Reply 28 of 219

Just waiting on Tallest Skil to drop in on this subject....

LOL, couldn't help it.

• Reply 29 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by longterm View Post

Although I just bought a 66-inch plasma less than a year ago, I would welcome a TV with a UI that finally rids me of DirecTV's awful slow interface; using the DTV box reminds me of computer speeds 20 years ago.

Just as with the iPhone, Apple will release it, the world will gasp, and we'll all want one.

God, you said it.  I have the whole house DVR with DirecTV, sometimes in the bedroom you click on a program and have time to go to the bathroom before it starts.  And let's not even talk about rewind/fast forward.

I have no doubt Apple would have a simple UI. I'm more interested in the possibility of unbundled channels.  Jobs said he "cracked the code" so I don't think he meant just the UI.

• Reply 30 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It doesn't at all- but it sure sounds better for people to click on the title.

I used to be on board with a full fledge but I'm in the camp of a new Apple TV box now. One that can:

-Run an Internet cable provider like uverse or fios with their own interface.

-Have a built in DVR

-Have Apps

-Be the central hub for things needing the be plugged in (gaming, Blu ray, surround sound, etc- all goes through there).

That in itself would be incredible- and who needs the TV? One box to rule them all.

That makes the most sense to me as well.  The TV itself is not very high margin, so it doesn't really make sense for Apple to try and compete there.  I know I wouldn't pay ~$1500 for a 50" iTV.  Now if they basically upgraded the Apple TV so it had those features, I'd gladly pay $300 or $400 for it.  My feeling is that that's the way they're going to go.

• Reply 31 of 219
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I think selling a TV set between $1500 and $2000 Is a little ambitious. The 27 inch is $1000 and that's without any whiz band bang feature. I can see maybe $2500 to $4000 for a really nice TV with DVR, wifi, etc.
  • Reply 32 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I have no doubt that Apple is working to take over the living room.

I am looking forward to it.

I hope they work with Loewe on designs...

http://www.loewe.tv/int

Time will tell.

Time won't have them work with Loewe. Apple has the best design team on the planet. Besides, I replaced my Loewe AirSpeaker with a second one, which also broke and kept dropping off the network. Managed to convince Apple to give my money back, and this is after 3 months of use. Stay away!

• Reply 33 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

This reveal is sooo un-Steve like ....

Tim is not Steve. News at 11.

• Reply 34 of 219
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracer View Post

Being "Social" is for people that have forgotten how to really live with people.

... he says on an Internet forum without a hint of irony. image

• Reply 35 of 219
    The key is to unhinge the scheduled broadcast beast shackles and let programming free to go to who wants it when they want it at a price that makes everyone happy. The interface is just icing. This is why it has been so difficult.

What it needs to be: Some combination of cloud storage, cable agreements, individual studio deals, partnerships and interface glue that puts all decisions out of mind besides "I want to watch this show I heard about right now and then watch my favorite comedy."

What it will probably be if it happens in 2013: A couple of key deals, some moderate toe-dipping gestures by a studio or two with a couple key missing partners (HBO), a fantastic interface with some great ideas and three or four thorns in the side of the whole system that give everyone pause at the cost (sports, subscription, etc.).
  • Reply 36 of 219

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with your setup? I have the same thing in a 2400 sq. ft house and I have no lag time at all. They work great. I just upgraded to the new 5 show recordable DVR, but even my old one was fine. No delay at all. Sounds like some thing might be wrong. Give them a call.

• Reply 37 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

God, you said it.  I have the whole house DVR with DirecTV, sometimes in the bedroom you click on a program and have time to go to the bathroom before it starts.  And let's not even talk about rewind/fast forward.

I have no doubt Apple would have a simple UI. I'm more interested in the possibility of unbundled channels.  Jobs said he "cracked the code" so I don't think he meant just the UI.

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with your setup? I have the same thing in a 2400 sq. ft house and I have no lag time at all. They work great. I just upgraded to the new 5 show recordable DVR, but even my old one was fine. No delay at all. Sounds like some thing might be wrong. Give them a call.

• Reply 38 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

This reveal is sooo un-Steve like ....

Steve - start rumors about televisions ?

NEVER !

• Reply 39 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post

Somehow, I don't think Tim has time to watch TV.

Sure, that makes perfect sense. 'Our next major market is building a TV', he says to himself, so whatever I do over the next week, I must not sit down to try out the existing TVs on the market. I don't have time to waste like that.

This is you demonstrating you know nothing about Apple. He's just like the rest of us. He owns and uses a TV. Be sure of that. And while he may not spend as much time as some watching TV, you can be sure since Apple has been looking into building a TV, they are studying the current models, in fact, the very idea of them making a TV most likely even came about because they are well aware the existing market sucks.

• Reply 40 of 219
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Tim, Tim, Tim...I think it's time for an upgrade my friend. So wheel out your old set...

Uh, that set looks like it came from the 1950's or early 1960's...that's more than 20 or 30 years ago...exaggerate much?

this is a TV set from 1982...30 years ago.