CES 2013 expected to showcase 'embarrassingly large' smartphones

Comments

• Reply 101 of 213
    I get the desire to cram more functionality into smaller form factors, but to cram the same functionality into larger form factors? Why don't these people admit they want a tablet, not a phone?
  • Reply 102 of 213
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I get the desire to cram more functionality into smaller form factors, but to cram the same functionality into larger form factors? Why don't these people admit they want a tablet, not a phone?

Yes, they want a tablet.  But they want it cheaper.  Being a phone they can get it cheaper because of the subsidy. If the carriers will subsidize iPad mini or iPad with LTE I bet the sales will exceed iPhone 5.

• Reply 103 of 213
    All of the dissenting views are interesting. The simple truth is that the form and interface of the iPhone have not changed much since it was introduced. The phone has become the primary portal to the internet for me. My usage pattern is fairly common 80% internet and messaging, 20% phone. Since getting an iPhone I have found that I use text messaging far more than making an actual call.

For this I am intrigued by the larger form factor and the fact that nearly all competitors offer a more customizable experience. This is something that has been lacking for a long time in the iPhone. The fact that i still have to navigate 3 levels deep to turn on/off wifi is the perfect example.

Each of them have their pro's and cons. To say that the form factor is 'embarrassingly large' does nothing more than highlight a narrow minded view.
  • Reply 104 of 213

Quote:

Odd that the fashionable trend 10 years ago was to make phones smaller and thinner. The assumption at the time was that the most desirable phones would eventually be as tiny as the one used by Derek Zoolander in the 2001 movie of the same title. Strange that now people claim making phones into tablets is so hot. I guess it's some kind of geek pride.

10 years back phones are predominantly for ... phone calls. Rarely the display was an issue. iphone changed it completely with its display. Now it is not that the phone needs to be bigger but only the display (which makes the phone also bigger). Things might change in the future to have bigger displays but smaller phones (projection/flexible displays/google glass kind/etc).

• Reply 105 of 213

Quote:

Actually it is the terminology and definition. iphone is like a mini computer not just a phone. Phone is only a 1/100th of what it can do (web/games/music/video/camera/gps/email/calendar). And what does a tablet mean? minimum 7 inch? May be 5 inch tablet with phone capability (for those rare calls). So no need to carry two devices. You can call GS3 as a 4.8 inch tablet with phone. So the terms are quite changed from the past.

• Reply 106 of 213
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

... Every 4.5+ phone is a phablet, and they are Apple's competition ...

Indeed.  But if you look into the sales figures you will find that despite the press they get, phones over 4.5" in size are fairly rare.  The large phones are prominent in advertising and in web discussions among tech geeks, but they aren't actually a large part of sales.  Check it out and you will find that even if you look exclusively at Android phones, the majority are iPhone sized by far, and the larger ones don't sell as much as people assume they do.  

*Most* phones (even Android phones) are still 4.5" or less even after several years of the industry pushing this "big ass phone" stuff on us.  It's arguable that large phones are neither super-popular, nor anything more than a fad. I wouldn't say Apple will never make a phone in this size, but it's unlikely to happen soon.  

At the very least, you will see phones and tablets from Apple that support styluses before you will see the debut of a "phablet."

Stylus support is the main trigger for more and different iOS device sizes.  Once they have that, you might then see larger and smaller devices than the current three we have now. 

Anyone foolish enough to think that Apple is coming out with a phablet this year or even next, is probably foolish enough to believe that rot about Apple making "smart watches" also.  

Neither are going to happen.   image

• Reply 107 of 213
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Actually I think Apple should make 2 new models of iPhone:

The first one should be a 4.5" screen the same resolution as the iPhone 5.  This will make the images on the screen a bit larger for people who have trouble seeing the tiny tiny text on the current models.  This can be done without significantly increasing the overall size of the device (smaller bezels).

The second should be a 3" screen with the same resolution as the 1st couple of generations of iPhone.  This would allow for a smaller phone when everyone else is going bigger, and the resolution would be ideal for the physical size.  Call it an iPhone mini.

In all, Apple would then have a broad range of choices for customers: 3", 3.5", 4", and 4.5".  Multiple colors, aluminum construction like iPad mini.

I think something like this is likely.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple comes out with a smaller iPhone (3-3.5 inch screen) alongside an iPhone 5S this year, just so that they can have an entry level phone with the lightning connector, and possibly even a lower price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Indeed.  But if you look into the sales figures you will find that despite the press they get, phones over 4.5" in size are fairly rare.  The large phones are prominent in advertising and in web discussions among tech geeks, but they aren't actually a large part of sales.  Check it out and you will find that even if you look exclusively at Android phones, the majority are iPhone sized by far, and the larger ones don't sell as much as people assume they do.  

*Most* phones (even Android phones) are still 4.5" or less even after several years of the industry pushing this "big ass phone" stuff on us.  It's arguable that large phones are neither super-popular, nor anything more than a fad. I wouldn't say Apple will never make a phone in this size, but it's unlikely to happen soon.  

At the very least, you will see phones and tablets from Apple that support styluses before you will see the debut of a "phablet."

Stylus support is the main trigger for more and different iOS device sizes.  Once they have that, you might then see larger and smaller devices than the current three we have now. 

Anyone foolish enough to think that Apple is coming out with a phablet this year or even next, is probably foolish enough to believe that rot about Apple making "smart watches" also.  

Neither are going to happen.   image

This is true.

The majority of Android sales worldwide are coming from 3 inch phones with specs similar to the iPhone 3G anyway. The most lucrative market (as far as sales) for Apple is the small phone market not the phablet market.

• Reply 108 of 213
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    gazoobee wrote: »

At the very least, you will see phones and tablets from Apple that support styluses before you will see the debut of a "phablet."

Neither are going to happen.   :rolleyes:

Have any sources for that?

Considering that the galaxy s3 is the top selling android phone, which has a 4.8 inch screen, I find that hard to believe.

And pushing 4.5+ inch for several years? The first mainstream 4.5+inch phone was the galaxy nexus, and that came out last holiday season. Prior to that it was all 4.3 inch.
  • Reply 109 of 213
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I meant both. Build quality is a given. User experience will be superior for people that want a larger screen and the same applies for people happy with a 3.5" or 4" iPhone would continue to buy those models to meet their needs. If this were a tiny niche market that would be one thing, but it isn't. Few people thought a year ago the best selling iPad would be a 7.9" model with a relatively poor resolution of 1024 by 768 with a paltry 164 PPI, but it is. 

There is no such thing as a perfect phone. Everyone has to make some compromise when they choose a phone. Until now Apple has taken that ability to choose out of our hands and have told us take it or leave it. That will only work for so long and only while there was no viable alternatives. Android phones used to suck in terms of hardware and the operating system so Apple was relatively safe. But Google and the phone makers have addressed most if not all of those complaints and will give Apple a run for their money in 2013. 

Have you considered what Apple would charge for such a phone?

The 4 inch iPhone already cost $649 off contract. I don't think Apple would hesitate to charge $849 or even $949 for a "phablet", and who knows if the carriers will be as kind with the subsidies.

Apple will probably price themselves out of the market and the sales uptick from the new larger phone would be non-existent.

• Reply 110 of 213
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tzeshan wrote: »

Yes, they want a tablet.  But they want it cheaper.  Being a phone they can get it cheaper because of the subsidy. If the carriers will subsidize iPad mini or iPad with LTE I bet the sales will exceed iPhone 5.

There are subsidized iPads.
  • Reply 111 of 213
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There are subsidized iPads.

Yes, but not as much as iPhone.

• Reply 112 of 213

I really don't see the use of such a phone which can't be handled by one hand or even easily and doesn't even have solid build quality.

• Reply 113 of 213
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Nice... I hope the clothing industry catch up and make bigger pockets.

• Reply 114 of 213
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    The Galaxy Note II is very popular in Hong Kong and I suspect in other Asian countries purely because the stylus facilitates Asian character handwriting input more comfortably and efficient than using a finger. I've seen a lot of people use these during my daily commutes on the MTR. A large screen and stylus is advantageous for this particular scenario.

I type in English myself so my iPhone 4S screen size fits me just great for two thumb typing.

The different methods of input for different cultures is often overlooked.
  • Reply 115 of 213
    takeiteasy wrote: »

10 years back phones are predominantly for ... phone calls. Rarely the display was an issue. iphone changed it completely with its display. Now it is not that the phone needs to be bigger but only the display (which makes the phone also bigger). Things might change in the future to have bigger displays but smaller phones (projection/flexible displays/google glass kind/etc).

That doesn't entirely make sense because PDAs -- remember Palm and Palm licensees from the early 2000s -- never went down the path of bigger screens = more fashionable, even though you could say PDAs were all about the display, because back then, they didn't have integrated cell phones before the Handspring Treo. Even Windows Mobile PDAs of the era kept a similar-to-Palm screen size. Why big screens now? Why not then?
  • Reply 116 of 213

"'embarrassingly large' smartphones"??

Hell, I'd be embarrassed if I had an Android phone!

j/k  image

• Reply 117 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips
    I don't see a problem with adding phone capability to iPads as an option.

Imagine holding an ipad to your ear and walking down the street! Lol
  • Reply 118 of 213
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    sangha187 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips
    I don't see a problem with adding phone capability to iPads as an option.
    Imagine holding an ipad to your ear and walking down the street! Lol

Have you heard of BT or earpods? LOL
  • Reply 119 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Have you heard of BT or earpods? LOL

It was a joke.

[right?]  lol

• Reply 120 of 213
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member
    Why do people like this Brian White get any media attention when he obviously knows nothing about Apple. He probably also thought Apple needed to make a Netbook a few years ago as well.