Wozniak: Apple now 'somewhat behind' in smartphone features

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 179
    Wozniak needs to retire to a nursing home in New Zealand. His dementia keeps getting worse.
  • Reply 162 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Wozniak needs to retire to a nursing home in New Zealand. His dementia keeps getting worse.

Like you, I find it very easy to analyze and criticize you... Someone I've never even met!

• Reply 163 of 179

I have deeply respect for the co-founder of Apple and having said that i ask this:

Do you guys know the company Fusion IO? It's a listed company that makes high-end memory, including PCI-E modules for the Mac Pro. This is no young company but due to the fact that they address to a niche in consumers it's not a very heard of. Woz is a chief scientist there and if i remember correctly a major shareholder.

Despite the key positions in which Woz is situated in that company i ask why THE F@*## after all those years didn't they come up with a bootable PCI-E card for the Mac Pro. Or is the company lagging out behind competition? 

• Reply 164 of 179
    Shut up, Woz. No one cares what you think.
  • Reply 165 of 179
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    It's funny how people feel entitled to tell him what he can or cannot say. Just the few first posts are full of aggressiveness and anger. Chill.
  • Reply 166 of 179
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    galbi wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    The next time we want your opinion Mr. Wozniak, we'll give it to you.

If the Co-founder of Apple says his opinion about his company's products, should'nt people listen?

Why dismiss him for saying what is already evidently true?

I willing bet money that Steve has a much closer association with the company than you do.

Perhaps its time to drop the veil of bubbled up egoes and start looking at the reality.

Sorry, just my lame attempt at humor. Should've used the sarc tag. That line is actually from GI Joe, IIRC.
    nikon133 wrote: »
    If you want all that on iOS can't you simply buy a phone that runs on Android?

Why do you think Androids are selling that well?

I think they sell well because of a low price, not because of features, but that is simply a conclusion I make from asking people why they chose Android. So no thorough analytical digging from my part.
  • Reply 167 of 179
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Bleating out the latest meme espoused by thousands of touts, spivs and their misguided fans all over the Internet, more like.

If Wozniak gave some specific examples and explained exactly why iOS is "somewhat behind", then his "truths" might have some credibility.

There's a fairly recent article here, soon to be followed up with another detailing iOS 6 advantages. If you can't think of any areas where iOS might be "somewhat behind" this article may point them out. To be sure there are areas where iOS is "somewhat ahead" too.

http://mostly-tech.com/2012/09/30/3219/

• Reply 168 of 179
    gatorguy wrote: »
    There's a fairly recent article here, soon to be followed up with another detailing iOS 6 advantages. If you can't think of any areas where iOS might be "somewhat behind" this article may point them out. To be sure there are areas where iOS is "somewhat ahead" too.
    http://mostly-tech.com/2012/09/30/3219/

Good article. Of course, TEHO. I wouldn't want to watch a video while typing out a message or something, and frankly can't see why anyone would want that.

The ability to add multiple Google Accounts to the device may seem like a good idea, but since everyone has their own phone what's the point. There really is no need to make it a traditional multi-user computer: it's a personal device.

The ability to share things 20+ different ways seem like a good one. But this article tells us that "iOS Notes app you’re given four different sharing choices: Mail, Message, Print and Copy". But I don't have the need to share a note on FB, Twitter, Dropbox or whatever. And if I do, why don't I simply copy paste the text?

Someone favorite thing on Android is "Multiple apps running in multiple windows" and if that means what I think it means, like a traditional windows UI, I'm totally lost as to why that is an advantage. Perhaps to fill up their large screen¿

The list goes on and on, but for what purpose? NFC will be great, but where to find it? Certainly not where I live; these websites are so limited in their views, it's all limited to the US. Many sites do this, simply because it's US operated. But the internet is a global thing. Oh well.
  • Reply 169 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good article. Of course, TEHO. I wouldn't want to watch a video while typing out a message or something, and frankly can't see why anyone would want that.

The ability to add multiple Google Accounts to the device may seem like a good idea, but since everyone has their own phone what's the point. There really is no need to make it a traditional multi-user computer: it's a personal device.

The ability to share things 20+ different ways seem like a good one. But this article tells us that "iOS Notes app you’re given four different sharing choices: Mail, Message, Print and Copy". But I don't have the need to share a note on FB, Twitter, Dropbox or whatever. And if I do, why don't I simply copy paste the text?

Someone favorite thing on Android is "Multiple apps running in multiple windows" and if that means what I think it means, like a traditional windows UI, I'm totally lost as to why that is an advantage. Perhaps to fill up their large screen¿

The list goes on and on, but for what purpose? NFC will be great, but where to find it? Certainly not where I live; these websites are so limited in their views, it's all limited to the US. Many sites do this, simply because it's US operated. But the internet is a global thing. Oh well.

What do you think of the value of multi-user support on tablets? It lets my teenage son and I share a single tablet without him worrying I'm peeking at his Facebook posts, nor he at my business and personal email accounts.

Would you like to have more robust and inclusive notifications, lessening the need to open some specific app to get the information? What  about Smart Widgets coupled with the ability to turn various radios on/off without going into the settings dialogue? Would you appreciate the ability to set your own app defaults rather than accepting just what your device came with? Can you think of any benefit to off-line text-to-speech entry for some users? Would you appreciate a faster response to search requests? Those are all possible advantages of the current version of Android over the current version of iOS too.

• Reply 170 of 179
    What do you think of the value of multi-user support on tablets? It lets my teenage son and I share a single tablet without him worrying I'm peeking at his Facebook posts, nor he at my business and personal email accounts.

That certainly has its value. Not for me, and many people get an iPad or whatever for each one in the family. But, yes, for those who share it is indeed a welcomed option. I certainly made a wrong post by pointing out negative stuff, while there are positives to Android as well.
    Would you like to have more robust and inclusive notifications, lessening the need to open some specific app to get the information?

I don't think the current NC is of much value, and never use it. But the 'number of unread' top right icon is enough for me to open the app, deal with responses or whatever and close the app. I can't say if Androids' notification is any better as I've never seen/tried it.
    What  about Smart Widgets coupled with the ability to turn various radios on/off without going into the settings dialogue?

Not a problem for me. I have WiFi on, BT off and if I attend a concert or something the Airplane Mode is nearby.
    Would you appreciate the ability to set your own app defaults rather than accepting just what your device came with?

That would be nice, although I use all stock apps anyway. I sometimes switch to Bing as preferred search tool, sometimes go back to Google. But I certainly understand the request from people, yes.
    Can you think of any benefit to off-line text-to-speech entry for some users?

No, but I'm certain there are people disagreeing with me.
    Would you appreciate a faster response to search requests? Those are all possible advantages of the current version of Android over the current version of iOS too.

And that's a good thing. People can choose one over the other. It might become a problem when one wants to switch back and forth, while already having invested in apps. That might be the stickiness issue to this. Heck, that might be my remaining on iOS, at least for the unforeseeable future. But if Apple is going to create a 5" phone **as their smallest option** I'm definitely running away. Because I want to be able to use it with one hand.
  • Reply 171 of 179
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Once iOS has widgets and NFC I think you'll agree with me.

Malware is a non-issue.

Scrolling and general smoothness is still better on iOS, but that's not what I would call a feature.

Get a Nexus, get updates.

Tablet apps are still lacking on Android.

I've never resold a phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Android had better cloud syncing,

Android has better notifications 

Android has better maps

Android has a feature that allows you to see what apps are using your data and how much they are using

Android has more locking options, none, pattern, slide, pin, and password 

Android has customization widgets  

While I understand not all of these features don't appeal to you but for most of the population they do.

Hmm... I'm still on my iphone4.  All these discussions are making me think about checking out Android now.  Or maybe I'll just wait for 5S or 6.

• Reply 172 of 179
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So brilliant, Apple had to license floating point BASIC from Microsoft.

Woz was busy at the time developing other things for Apple.

He simply hadn't the time doing it himself.

And damn! yes he was really brilliant - as an electronic engineer and as a programmer!

• Reply 173 of 179
    As a recent switcher from the iPhone to the Galaxy S3, I can safely say I totally agree with the Woz on this one. One cannot understand the difference until they make the switch away from Apple. I am enthralled by the Galaxy S3. It's everything my iPhone wasn't. It's easier to use. I can custom-tailor it precisely the way I want. The display is leaps and bounds beyond the iPhone, and no .... retina doesn't matter to me. Its features are light-years beyond the iPhone (literally). It's more robust, more personable, and simply more fun to use. Toss in the extras like MicroSD expansion options, S-Voice (which slays Siri), and a solid foundation on open-sourced software, and I can safely say that I'll NEVER go back to an iPhone ever again. When my wife saw my Galaxy, she took a look at her iPhone 4S, and I could feel the air go out of her lungs. She wanted a Galaxy. A moment later she confirmed it verbally.
  • Reply 174 of 179
    [quote name="Apple v. Samsung" url="/t/155859/wozniak-apple-now-somewhat-behind-in-smartphone-features#post_2272978"]

Android had better cloud syncing,
    Android has better notifications 
    Android has better maps
    Android has a feature that allows you to see what apps are using your data and how much they are using
    Android has more locking options, none, pattern, slide, pin, and password 

[COLOR=000000]Android has customization widgets  
    [/COLOR]

While I understand not all of these features don't appeal to you but for most of the population they do..[/QUOTE]

What the heck are you talking about, you apparently haven't used an iPhone since like iOS 3 or 4.

Having to support users of just about every device out there I can tell you that Android is the poor cousin compared to iOS. Flaky performance, flaky syncing, poor battery life. Samsung has a 29% retention rate and they are the highest of the Android manufacturers. Sure they could be just switching between other Android brands but if it plays out anything like our environment at least 70% of those not retained are going to iPhone. Apple has over 80% retention rate, nough said. While maps is crappy I have no trouble running google's maps app on my iPhone but neither is the best GPS app, for that I use a tru GPS app like copilot. Notifications also has had some dramatic improvements since version 5 even & I have no trouble being notified of everything critical to me.

Wy don't you take your baseless & flat out false claims & go troll somewhere else.
  • Reply 175 of 179

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

While I understand not all of these features don't appeal to you but for most of the population they do.

Ignoring the lies in that list, this still couldn't be further from the truth.

• Reply 176 of 179
    That mostly-tech link showing advantages of iOS and Android loses all credibility as soon as he claimed iOS crashes more than Android based on that Crittercism report. And they left out some major flaws in the Android architecture in last years version as well. But they'll go on and on about minor features that nobody needs just to pad their list.

There are a few things iOS needs to update, but not many.
  • Reply 177 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

That mostly-tech link showing advantages of iOS and Android loses all credibility as soon as he claimed iOS crashes more than Android based on that Crittercism report. And they left out some major flaws in the Android architecture in last years version as well. But they'll go on and on about minor features that nobody needs just to pad their list.

There are a few things iOS needs to update, but not many.

One claim you don't agree with is enough to dismiss the entire article?

In any event I agree with you on that specific point. He incorrectly referred to an older Crittercism report. The latest one from them shows the more recent version of iOS is more app-stable than Android 4.1, not less.  Perhaps you'll like that one better (making it more credible?)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2013/02/07/app-data-crash-off-android-jelly-bean-vs-ios6/

And of course they left out iOS advantages in that article as the author clearly said it was meant to highlight Android feature advantages. They say in the first paragraph that one pointing out iOS features that Android lacks is coming too.

"Last year I wrote two articles that compared Android to iOS. One stressed Apple’s advantages, and the other stressed Google’s advantages. Both turned out to be extremely popular. Since each operating system has had at least one major update since then, I’ve decided to update both articles — starting with the one about Android." 

But based on your feedback I imagine you'd claim that one will lack credibility as well since it won't point out iOS flaws while highlighting "all the good stuff". 

I think it's odd that two regular posters in the past 24 hours who I consider better informed and more inquisitive than many other members would immediately decide they were no longer interested in understanding differences and/or advantages of the two major mobile OS's as soon as they find a single claim they disagree with in an article or video. Right there the reading stops.

How on earth can you make a claim that one is better overall or even has unique features the other lacks without actually researching both platforms to know if it's based on fact or FUD?

• Reply 178 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post NFC will be great, but where to find it? Certainly not where I live; these websites are so limited in their views, it's all limited to the US. Many sites do this, simply because it's US operated. But the internet is a global thing. Oh well.

Where do you live? Mastercard is working with a number of retailers outside the US to offer NFC-enabled payments. There's even "an app for that". If/when Apple steps up to the plate NFC efforts should pick up fast.

http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/nfc-merchants.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mastercard.paypass&hl=en

Current Google Wallet NFC partners are listed here. Yes that one is still comparatively sparse:

http://www.google.com/wallet/how-it-works/in-store.html#merchant-matrix

• Reply 179 of 179
     NFC will be great, but where to find it? Certainly not where I live; these websites are so limited in their views, it's all limited to the US. Many sites do this, simply because it's US operated. But the internet is a global thing. Oh well.
    Where do you live? Mastercard is working with a number of retailers outside the US to offer NFC-enabled payments. There's even "an app for that". If/when Apple steps up to the plate NFC efforts should pick up fast.

http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/nfc-merchants.html
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mastercard.paypass&hl=en

Current Google Wallet NFC partners are listed here. Yes that one is still comparatively sparse:
    http://www.google.com/wallet/how-it-works/in-store.html#merchant-matrix

[Stupid spam filter put this in the wrong folder...]

In the Netherlands, where I have yet to see a NFC register or whatever it's called. No MasterCard support (which I have).

Google seems to be a narrow minded US-only company, like so many American companies. Heck, Apple implemented weeknumbers with 10.8 Software from 2012! Europeans use weeknumbers (way before 2012 I might add, but I digress)

edit that link to play.google.com is filled with negative experiences, I've never seen anything quite like it