'Think Different' ad creator believes latest Samsung ads are getting the best of Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 178
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You think? Sammy seems to be targeting 20 something male nerds and Apple is targeting parents with children, women, executives, medical professionals, schools and government.

After watching a few of the latest Samsung ads I thought they somehow hired an Apple biased ad agency because they always paint Samsung users in a bad light. One user says they are making the game unicorn look exactly like they appear in real life. In another ad the finance ladies are scolding the Android boys because the project is way behind schedule while the guys are kicking back with their feet on the desk. To me these stereotypical loser nerds do not make Samsung look good at all. Apple doesn't need to advertise as long as Samsung is releasing these stupid commercials.

I agree that the iPhone is very popular because it is well-designed, solidly built, and just works (well, mostly, the call quality is not all it could be...). But notice that these are the "Buick virtues", and so it is natural for a competitor to differentiate itself by claiming coolness. As for Apple, it is difficult to say "Think Different" when you are the market leader.

• Reply 82 of 178
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I'm an Apple guy, but Samsung's recent advertising push is better than Apple's full-stop. Apple should stop resting on its laurels in this important arena and start fighting back!
  • Reply 83 of 178
    jakebjakeb Posts: 563member

I'm really surprised he things the Samsung ads are that great. Both the Superbowl ad and the Oscars ad were basically very poorly-written 1 minute sitcoms with Samsung product placement. They were neither funny as sitcoms nor did they create any desire to try the devices. The only time you see people using the devices, they're doing something odd like making notes on photos while sitting around a conference table.

They're certainly worse than Apple's panned "Genius" ads. 

• Reply 84 of 178
    ochyming wrote: »

Yeah, like <span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:30px;line-height:37px;">Bernard Madoff</span>
     made many people rich.

He did, he had to in order for his scheme to seem legit.
  • Reply 85 of 178

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

In the "Tim Burton" add, Samsung is trying so hard to be subtle but it still looks pathetic. The scene when Tim is waving a phallus-looking horn is especially ridiculous. Am I supposed to run to the store and buy a Galaxy after that?

Next year they'll air the exact same ad, except the horn will be bigger.

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Since when Apple is cool?

Only stupid journalists said that.

No, judges said that.

Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Who inside Apple has enough clout to introduce the next surprising, disruptive invention?  

Oh, nobody?  Yeah, even ol' Steve barely had enough clout to do that.  Steve suddenly got famous in 2010-2011 when the iPad was a hit even though all agreed it was a "stupid idea," his 9th "stupid idea" in a string of successful, profitable, revolutionary ideas that were ahead of the curve.

Apple hasn't done an interesting "stupid idea" since Steve died.  It is run by businessmen now.  And on deck, you have jizzlords like Einhorn.  

Absolute nonsense.

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I'm an Apple guy, but Samsung's recent advertising push is better than Apple's full-stop.

Nonsense.

• Reply 86 of 178
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jakeb wrote: »
    I'm really surprised he things the Samsung ads are that great. Both the Superbowl ad and the Oscars ad were basically very poorly-written 1 minute sitcoms with Samsung product placement. They were neither funny as sitcoms nor did they create any desire to try the devices. The only time you see people using the devices, they're doing something odd like making notes on photos while sitting around a conference table.

They're certainly worse than Apple's panned "Genius" ads. 

Please read his blog again. Nowhere does he say that Samsung's ads are that great.

He says they're well produced. That's probably true.

He says that much of their success is the fact hat Samsung is flooding the airwaves with them. That's true, too.

Finally, he says that the message is potent. I'm not quite so sure about that, but even if it's true, that doesn't mean the ads are effective at getting the message across.
  • Reply 87 of 178
    Apple is the primary target of Samsung's attentions, but not the primary victim. Apple's doing just fine. But look what's happening to Nokia, Microsoft, Sony, LG, HTC, HP, Dell, Blackberry in the mobile sector. Samsung's trashing the old guard en masse.

And all the billions in advertising are building the Samsung brand, not the Google brand. Google has a tiger by the tail. Samsung is nobody's lackey; it's merely milking Android for all its worth. Then what? Here's my prediction: Samsung will end up one of the big three in mobile with Apple and Google. I won't guess in what order.

Credit to Asymco and Horace Dediu for the stats behind statements made in the article.
  • Reply 88 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

He says that much of their success is the fact hat Samsung is flooding the airwaves with them. That's true, too.

Finally, he says that the message is potent. I'm not quite so sure about that, but even if it's true, that doesn't mean the ads are effective at getting the message across.

I think they are effective at getting the Samsung name into people's brains and in a positive way.

• Reply 89 of 178
    I hate to say it but the new Samsung ads (that aren't attacking anyone) are pretty entertaining.

That being said, I don't think they are anywhere near Apple's level of quality.
  • Reply 90 of 178
    The Samsung ads are idiotic. The people in them are singularly unattractive. We have a woman stealing credit for compiling sales figures, a guy arranging the smuggling of illegal energy drinks from Sweden (from a Russian named Oleg?), a guy who goofs off on half his screen while pretending to work on the other, guys going out for a pretentious lunch, a smug Asian IT thug, a roomful of gamer slackers who are allegedly creating a dumb game.

It's hard to believe these ads present the Samsung products in a favorable light to anyone other than a few urban hipsters. Most people will find these characters odious.
  • Reply 91 of 178

Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

It's hard to believe these ads present the Samsung products in a favorable light to anyone other than a few urban hipsters. Most people will find these characters odious.

You put too much faith in humanity. What the man on the street sees on TV is his aspiration these days.

• Reply 92 of 178

Samsung needs a logo... just not the name glowing in blue. 

• Reply 93 of 178
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I think they are effective at getting the Samsung name into people's brains and in a positive way.

Positive? You gotta get off that island.

Segall calls them "people" ads. Big mistake. They're anti-people ads, creepy-geek ads. As jragosta says, the demographic that Samsung (and all Android) is after is different in a not so positive way. They are the Technoid Alienated that hates Nature, Families, FaceTime wholesomness, the Liberal Arts, unicorns, everything Apple stands for, including the cool and simple approach to competent design.

Samsung's ads have become little anti-morality plays. Remember the office drama where the file swapper gets credit for the report? In this one, Tim Burton the pretend psychdelicized hipster (who never swallows his acid) contemplates how to to destroy the fantasy lives of millions of children.

Apple should never lower itself to respond to this sleaze.
  • Reply 94 of 178

Wait, people still watch ads?  Like, the ones on the TV Machine?  Wow.  I haven't watched an ad in over a decade.

This ad dork's analysis does get at the crux of Apple's problem today:  a severe lack of creative boldness.  Steve Jobs surrounded himself with people who would tolerate his aggresive creativity, so the result is that today Apple is run by timid execs who are afraid to dominate their competitors.  

• Reply 95 of 178
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The Samsung ads are idiotic. The people in them are singularly unattractive. We have a woman stealing credit for compiling sales figures, a guy arranging the smuggling of illegal energy drinks from Sweden (from a Russian named Oleg?), a guy who goofs off on half his screen while pretending to work on the other, guys going out for a pretentious lunch, a smug Asian IT thug, a roomful of gamer slackers who are allegedly creating a dumb game.

I think it is safe to say that you are not persuaded by these ads. I don't think it is safe to say anything else.

• Reply 96 of 178
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stef View Post

Apple is the primary target of Samsung's attentions, but not the primary victim. Apple's doing just fine. But look what's happening to Nokia, Microsoft, Sony, LG, HTC, HP, Dell, Blackberry in the mobile sector. Samsung's trashing the old guard en masse.

And all the billions in advertising are building the Samsung brand, not the Google brand. Google has a tiger by the tail. Samsung is nobody's lackey; it's merely milking Android for all its worth. Then what? Here's my prediction: Samsung will end up one of the big three in mobile with Apple and Google. I won't guess in what order.

Credit to Asymco and Horace Dediu for the stats behind statements made in the article.

Pretty much. I doubt Google is happy about Samsung completely dominating the Android device market. I can see Samsung replacing Android functionality with it's own services more and more, and eventually forking Android. People aren't buying Android phones. They're buying Samsung phones. That's the product, and the brand. Android is becoming less relevant, not more. 

• Reply 97 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Samsung needs a logo... just not the name glowing in blue. 

Yeah. plain logo just doesn't work.

• Reply 98 of 178
    If those Samsung ads appeal to you then you have not artist in you... Sorry. They are dry and pointless. Yes, on the other hand Apple's latest ads are bad... They're predictable and old... Watching them doesn't make me want to buy anything. Both companies need to go in another direction.
  • Reply 99 of 178
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    I think Apple has taught everyone else not only how to market, but how to develop products (even if they're copied from Apple). A variety of competitive products, from Samsung to Microsoft, incorporates decent screen designs, fonts, etc. that were once the almost exclusive domain of Apple. When I look at other devices and the new Microsoft OS, I've been actually kind of surprised. They might still have major faults, but they're "reasonable" for most people.

I think it's par for the course, but I also think that Apple needs to raise the bar once again, as they've done in the past.

Personally, I like the new Apple iPad ad. It features a large variety of very interesting looking applications. And after all, that's what the device is used for. While Samsung can get away with "people ads" that satirize Apple, if Apple did the same thing, they would be accused of being elitist and they would be criticized the way that they were when they ran the Lemmings ad.

I think one of the things Apple needs to do is run new ads for their computers, providing reasons why people still need them (and even though Macs now contribute a minority of Apple's revenue streams).

While I thought the Samsung ad with Tim Burton was funny, I don't think that the masses would understand it and I truly wonder how many people will recall that it was a Samsung ad. I didn't. What does the development of a killer unicorn game and spin-off movie have to do with a purchasing decision to buy a Pad or phone?

As for advertising on the SuperBowl, while the game gets very large audiences, the advertising buy is so expensive, that IMO, it's a poor use of resources. I think most companies advertise on the SuperBowl out of ego (and so they get invited to SuperBowl parties, etc.)

• Reply 100 of 178
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macfandave wrote: »

Thank you. That's what this is about. But:

Samsung, or its agency, knows its target as low-spectrum sociopaths with enough self-loathing to admire scammers and hustlers.