Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 230
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    "In his view, one of the strong points of the new Galaxy S4 is its Super AMOLED display, which has a pixel density of 441 per inch. That's a higher resolution screen than the 326 pixels-per-inch found on the iPhone 5."

I think the guy does not even realize that the S4 still use a crapy PenTile screen which makes the comparison with the iPhone 5 totally pointless. At "441" PPI (which is not the real PPI given the pixel arrangement), a PenTile screen is still total crap. Can someone say to Samsung that we are in 2013!!!
  • Reply 22 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

You're missing the point completely, never did I say the S4 is perfect, the best (android or overall) phone or anything else. I just said that you cannot call a device where every single element of it has been updated an 'iterative' update. Why you're turning this into a android vs ios discussion is also a riddle to me.

This happens whenever the new iPhone is released too ("iterative and evolutionary rather than revolutionary"). As someone else pointed out, since the iPhone was announced in 2007, pretty much every other smartphone (including newer iPhones) has been iterative and evolutionary.

• Reply 23 of 230
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Yes, the Samsung S4 was largely an evolutionary update. But then so was the iPhone 4S and the 5 that followed it and assuming we get an iPhone 5S as opposed to a fully redesigned iPhone 6 then that too will be an evolutionary update.

And you know what? That’s fine, smartphones are becoming like computers and for a few years at a time you’ll see mainly internal updates as opposed to complete over hauls.

The smartphone market is no longer exciting, sad but true.

• Reply 24 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hakime wrote: »
    "In his view, one of the strong points of the new Galaxy S4 is its Super AMOLED display, which has a pixel density of 441 per inch. That's a higher resolution screen than the 326 pixels-per-inch found on the iPhone 5."

I think the guy does not even realize that the S4 still use a crapy PenTile screen which makes the comparison with the iPhone 5 totally pointless. At "441" PPI (which is not the real PPI given the pixel arrangement), a PenTile screen is still total crap. Can someone say to Samsung that we are in 2013!!!

If I were working at Samsung and I knew my market cared more about specs than about quality I think I'd have chosen PenTile, too, over going with a non-Pentile display of the same sub-pixel density which gets you 332 PPI. If you're customers are ignorant and foolish why not play up to it. We see it all the time with ads for children's toys (and redneck truck rallies.)
  • Reply 25 of 230
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

We have all these trolls that come here just to spread FUD, but i have to say something...

After reading some news on some blogs (I like android, i have an android phone. In fact, i love android, i would love a nexus from LG, i just think Apple's devices and strategy are better) i came across something.

Not all android fans are stupid and retarded like the ones we see here, and not all android blogs are apple-bashing sites. Far from it.

Some sites have really great comparisons and great reviews and nicely illustrate the pros vs cons of choosing a given smartphone. Obviously, on those sites, stupid fandroids (like the ones that come here) get irritated, but you can ignore them.

Sites like these, objective reviews like these, should help some of you to understand and even like Android for what it is. You can love Apple, prefer the iPhone by a large margin, but still like Android and choose a cheap but good smartphone (like the nexus) when you can't justify 700 euros.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-apple-iphone-5-169810/

When using logic and facts, anyone can see that you cannot call the gs4 "superior" or "better" than the iPhone, or some android devices. It's a great read.

Kudos to them.

• Reply 26 of 230
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If I were working at Samsung and I knew my market cared more about specs than about quality I think I'd have chosen PenTile, too, over going with a non-Pentile display of the same sub-pixel density which gets you 332 PPI. If you're customers are ignorant and foolish why not play up to it. We see it all the time with ads for children's toys (and redneck truck rallies.)

Or use a s-lcd3 like the HTC One, smaller 4.7" screen, full RGB and 1080p, so 461 (real) PPI

• Reply 27 of 230
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I watched a hands on vid last night of it, over on The Verge. It stuttered and lagged when dragging down the notification tray and again while taking pics.

This analyst is also silly: 441 ppi vs 326 ppi. Seriously? Retina is retina, although that is Apple's term...a few more ppi does not really matter for most things. Same with the camera, larger MP doesn't mean better photos...

I guess people that are ignorant would see this as spec'd higher than the iPhone 5, but its really just Samsung throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks.

Do you know this thing has a "temperature sensor" in it? Why?
  • Reply 28 of 230
    The slogan " life companion " - very stupid . Am I gonna use it 50 years later ? My wife ?
  • Reply 29 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

The slogan " life companion " - very stupid . Am I gonna use it 50 years later ? My wife ?

To be fair, many marriages are shorter than a 2 year contract image.

• Reply 30 of 230
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The narrative lately among the trolls and the Apple haters has been that Apple is somehow losing it and that it is doomed because of Samsung. The FUD has been reaching epic proportions lately. image

All of the talk, hype and useless garbage spewed means nothing now, because we have now finally seen the real deal, the product that was so heavily anticipated and hyped up by the foolish, the ignorant and the feeble-minded, and it is a complete disappointment, a real dud that is not likely to impress many. It doesn't matter how much Samsung spends on their ad campaign or how many times that they rent out Radio City Music Hall. 

Samsung should stick to making refrigerators and Apple hating trolls should go and find another forum, because frankly speaking, I'm getting tired of all of the Fandroids and Apple haters infesting this place lately. They're like a bunch of unwanted cockroaches and are about as welcome as HIV.

The fact remains that Apple still rules the mobile world in virtually all areas of importance and Fandroids still suck, and so does their platform of choice.

• Reply 31 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

So... Pretty much the same kind of (scared of the competition) rhetoric spoken when the Samsung Galaxy S3 came out last year and we all know how so very wrong those naysayers were.

sales figures of the galaxy s2 are higher than that of the galaxy s3.

(as are sales figures of iPhone 4, 4s, and 5 individually). so...

• Reply 32 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

No, the s4 is just the same shit with a few more lines for spec whores that understand 0 about tech and what makes a fast phone, a good camera, a good screen, etc. Java can't compete with cocoa performance wise. Java or html5 apps can't compete with native iOS apps. It still is a slower and inferior device (than the iPhone), that also loses on pretty much everything to the xperia z, the awesome htc one, etc.

But fear nor more, DaHarder and other trolls will like your post, and more will come and join you.

you guys are polluting the internet... Every review favorable to Apple and detrimental to some competitor has the same trolls even if with different nicknames ready to attack, even at android authority.

You do realize he's not trolling an Apple review. This is an article about the Galaxy S4. He could easily say you're trolling a Galaxy S4 article. Don't be hypocritical.

• Reply 33 of 230
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Why are companies competing in doing higher then retina displays? The eyes cant see the difference.

More pixels = more battery more GPU/CPU recourses.

But this is typical nerd/PC era thinking. 441PPI is better then 330PPI. 2Meg >1Meg. WAP > SAP and so on.

They forget that 99% of the consumers don't care. They want to know how its makes the device more useful to them.

Still... Galaxy S4 is the only Android I would buy today.
  • Reply 34 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

You do realize he's not trolling an Apple review. This is an article about the Galaxy S4. He could easily say you're trolling a Galaxy S4 article. Don't be hypocritical.

The article compares the S4 to Apple's iphone in the sense "it's not going to affect iPhone sales" so in that sense, it is a review, or comparison, and it's favorable to Apple if you read the article.

Besides, isn't this AppleInsider?  Not SamsungInsider.  So I don't think he's trolling an S4 article at all.  We're all free to have opinions but there are a lot of trolls in here lately.

• Reply 35 of 230
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

"Retina" doesn't really mean a whole lot any more. All the newer handsets seem to qualify. By this time next year it won't even be valuable as a marketing term IMO.

• Reply 36 of 230
    sales figures of the galaxy s2 are higher than that of the galaxy s3.

(as are sales figures of iPhone 4, 4s, and 5 individually). so...

I don't think that's accurate. Wikipedia lists both the S II and S III as being at 40 million shipped as of 14-JAN-2013, and JK Shin announcing yesterday that the S III shipped 50 million units.

Even if we go by performance everything points to the S III also outselling the S II in pre-orders and every time frame possible. It's not Apple numbers but for an Android-based device — or rather, a non-iPhone smartphone — it's done phenomenally well.

Unfortunately for Samsung's actual competitors their phones keep getting compared to the iPhone simply because the iPhone is the top dog. Samsung's thievery has hurt these other vendor's chance of success on a level playing field but all the world is looking at is how Samsung is still a distant second to Apple in every category.
  • Reply 37 of 230
    shompa wrote: »
    Why are companies competing in doing higher then retina displays? The eyes cant see the difference.

More pixels = more battery more GPU/CPU recourses.

But this is typical nerd/PC era thinking. 441PPI is better then 330PPI. 2Meg >1Meg. WAP > SAP and so on.

They forget that 99% of the consumers don't care. They want to know how its makes the device more useful to them.

Still... Galaxy S4 is the only Android I would buy today.

Their 441 is only about 330 pixels. Remember it's PenTile so it's not an RGB|RGB layout, it's an RG|BG layout. Reduce that 441 by a third to get the true pixel count.
  • Reply 38 of 230
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

We have all these trolls that come here just to spread FUD

With over 18,000 "troll" mentions here at AI, 9 in just the last hour alone, it's effectiveness as an insult has pretty much disappeared. I think at one time or another nearly every active member here has been accused of being one.

• Reply 39 of 230
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member

Quote:

No Worries...It's common practice for the (self appointed) Defenders of All Things Apple here on AI to label any/every post/poster that doesn't conform to their extremely one-sided 'beliefs' a troll, even when the article's specifically about a SAMSUNG product..

Pretty ironic when the truth is THEY are the real trolls around here... and rather spiteful/disrespectful/hateful ones at that.

Anyway... Looks like Samsung has done some fine work with this new release, especially the fact that they were able to create a more powerful device with even longer battery life with an even thinner and lighter design.

2013's shaping up to be another banner year for mobile devices.

• Reply 40 of 230
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

Quote:

And you surely must realize you came to Appleinsider.com right?  Let it sink in.  Dont be dense.