Apple retail workers file class action suit claiming lost wages over bag searches

Comments

• Reply 161 of 291
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Just move the punch clock to the exit, just after the searches.  Fixed.

• Reply 162 of 291
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    yaesumofo wrote: »
    You are kidding right?
    I suppose you might live somewhere there is no Apple Store and have not been inside one.
    When was the last time you went into an apple store and saw an employee on the phone? I have NEVER seen an apple store worker on the phone on a personal call. Never.the Apple stores near me are SLAMMED from open to close. I can't imagine any time to chat or have a BS session on the phone.

The most I've stayed in an Apple store is 15 minutes. 15 mins doesnt extrapolate to 8 hrs. I guarantee you the average employee gossips and/or checks his/her phones for 5 mins a day while on the clock. Heck, I'm doing it now.
  • Reply 163 of 291
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    macslut wrote: »
    For example, you wrote "People who carry bags into work at Apple are subject to search."  That should read "Employees who carry bags into work at Apple are subject to search."  Customers who carry bags into Apple are not searched according to the complaint.

Indeed; you're correct. I'd edit it, but it's quoted so much now.

Huh?

"People who carry bags into work at Apple are subject to search."

If they're going into work I'd presume it wouldn't be a customer, no?
  • Reply 164 of 291
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Everything you wrote is correct.  I've studied labor laws quite a bit and have had to go to court on both sides before.  However, while what you wrote is correct, it's not relevant to this case. 

I'm sorry, your personal experience with the actual laws involved disqualifies you from commenting on this thread. Please come back when you have emotional knee-jerk reactions with no facts to back them up.

- Jasen.

P.S. I am not a lawyer. Unless you are one for the jurisdiction involved, I don't put much stock in what you have to say about this case.

P.P.S. The employee vs employer war is on display in spades here. One side: If the employees don't like it, go work somewhere else. Utterly disregarding whether the employer's behavior is legal, just, or fair. On the other: Employers should be held to strict regulations governing the treatment of employees.

• Reply 165 of 291
    jman225jman225 Posts: 18member
    Having worked at an apple store in the past for 2 years I can promise you this is a big deal for employees. They preach "assume positive intent" yet don't practice it. Every time you leave the building you are required to show your iPhone serial number and a "tech card" which has their devices serial number on it and is singed by a manager. Being in a very busy store, it's never easy to find a manager to "check you out". They're always doing something and sometimes that process takes 10 minutes or more. Not cool when you have a 15 minute break and need to be back on time to support your team.
  • Reply 166 of 291
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Huh?

"People who carry bags into work at Apple are subject to search."

If they're going into work I'd presume it wouldn't be a customer, no?

It's a technicality in the phrasing, but I wanted to be clear, because it's actually very relevant to the case and written in the complaint that only employees are searched, not customers.

Also, many Apple Stores are like Starbucks... customers do go there to work.

• Reply 167 of 291
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Watch... Apple will settle this one and change their policies.

No they won't, because Tallest Skil says they don't have to.

Actually, to eliminate the problem entirely, they should come to work and leave....naked! /s

• Reply 168 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    No they won't, because Tallest Skil says they don't have to.

I explicitly said the opposite, but I don't really expect people who don't read posts to, you know, read posts.

I'll agree with you now, though. They certainly don't have to, but they probably will.
    Actually, to eliminate the problem entirely, they should come to work and leave....naked! /s

Excuse me for a second:

"People have to carry weapons with them. Women particularly."

"Why?"

That's you.
  • Reply 169 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I explicitly said the opposite, but I don't really expect people who don't read posts to, you know, read posts.

I'll agree with you now, though. They certainly don't have to, but they probably will.

Excuse me for a second:

"Why?"

That's you.

Shut up and go away.

That's me...being you. No wonder no one discusses anything with you...and it's a lot more clear to me why SolipsismX is gone. He gave this forum a certain level of sanity and intelligence...objective intelligence, which has not been present since he left. image

• Reply 170 of 291
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Shut up and go away.

That's me...being you. No wonder no one discusses anything with you...and it's a lot more clear to me why SolipsismX is gone. He gave this forum a certain level of sanity and intelligence...objective intelligence, which has not been present since he left. image

At least ts isn't a moderator anymore. It was far more embarrassing when he had AI's imprimatur.

• Reply 171 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

At least ts isn't a moderator anymore. It was far more embarrassing when he had AI's imprimatur.

He abused that authority.

It's crazy how some people cannot see, objectively, how they are behaving. If you don't agree with him or if one's posts are contrary to his opinion, then you're wrong. Which makes him always right...

...in his mind.

• Reply 172 of 291
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No.

It seems to me that you perhaps have a reading comprehension issue that goes beyond my original poorly worded (subsequently corrected) post.

lol so we are not having any luck here huh :) 

• Reply 173 of 291
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The well spring of your attitude becomes clear now.  Believing that those moments when your employees are not being dutiful little robots they are actually stealing from you is as gob-smacking as TS's apparent unfamiliarity with women's clothing and the truth that most of their apparel does not contain cargo pouches.  You'd think he'd never seen a woman with a skirt or a dress or a handbag, let alone have a clue as to the sort of items they carry in them.

I am picturing your business as being a Victorian era cotton mill or perhaps a clothing factory in Bangladesh that is still quietly smouldering.

LMAO!! 

Really, so apparently you have never managed anything. I don't pay people to stand around talking to their friends, sorry if you think that is what you are ethically required to allow. I do pay people to work. OH MY! Yes, I pay people to work, not to stand around socializing. That is why it's called WORK and not PARTY. 

People like you are the reason why America has lost its quality workforce. Well, you and the unions, but I guess you both share the same work ethic. 

• Reply 174 of 291
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,329member
    For a bunch of people who stand around all day, when not taking several 15 minute break and a lunch, talking, they really have it hard don't they? 
    Work there first before you mouth off.
  • Reply 175 of 291
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Work there first before you mouth off.

Apple must hate the work laws in Switzerland, it's against the law to frisk your employees unless you have probable cause and only if a police person is their to supervise. Plus we get mandatory 4 week vacations, yaaayyy!
  • Reply 176 of 291
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,329member
    relic wrote: »
    Apple must hate the work laws in Switzerland, it's against the law to frisk your employees unless you have probable cause and only if a police person is their to supervise. Plus we get mandatory 4 week vacations, yaaayyy!

That's great! To be clear, Apple managers do NOT physically search you, just your bags and or your purse. That would be against the law here as well.

Do they give you all 4 weeks at once?
  • Reply 177 of 291
    Shut up and go away.

Thank you, again, for confirming a, what, third time? that you don't even have an argument in the first place.

It's really no more complicated than this: prove that employees must carry their personal bags to work.

Since you cannot, there's no reason for you to disagree with the idea that this case will be thrown out.

It's a shame refusing to actually hold a discussion isn't against the rules.
    ...and it's a lot more clear to me why SolipsismX is gone. He gave this forum a certain level of sanity and intelligence…objective intelligence, which has not been present since he left. :no:

Never mind that he and I still discuss things here and quite often rode the same mental wave. :p

Then again, since you never read posts before replying to them, you wouldn't know that.
    He abused that authority.

Yeah, how dare I do my job, anyway? Heaven forbid people who've no reason or right to be here be allowed to stay here.

What, did I infract you for something and you're still sore? Geezaloo.
  • Reply 178 of 291
    TS, give up. Women need to carry ID, money, keys, feminine products and their phones.
  • Reply 179 of 291
    jungmark wrote: »
    TS, give up. Women need to carry ID, money, keys, feminine products and their phones.

I never claimed otherwise.
  • Reply 180 of 291
    I never claimed otherwise.

And they need a bag to hold it all in.