Apple sells out of initial iPhone 5s supply in under 2 days, shipments pushed to October

Comments

• Reply 61 of 238
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    1983 wrote: »
    Yeah I suspect the 5C is going to turn out to be a flop unfortunately, its neither here nor there, it should of been cheaper, then maybe it would have a market.

How can anyone say right now that the 5C is a flop? For every antidote I've heard about people not being interested I've also heard the exact opposite. I saw a post from someone that their local Walmart completely sold out of the 5C and they had received around 300 in stock. I've also heard from some Apple store workers that they're seeing a lot of 5C sales. I doubt Apple will ever break out sales between models but right now we don't have data points to suggest its a flop. Seems to me most of the people hating the device because its plastic haven't actually held one in their hand. Yes I think it should be $50-$100 cheaper but I still think it will sell well and it's WAY to early to call it a flop.
  • Reply 62 of 238
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    blackbook wrote: »
    I stood in line yesterday and bought my 5S directly from my apple store. Best smartphone I've ever owned.

Today there were still lines of people waiting for 5S.

Here are my quick observations:

There was very little interest in the 5C except from children.

The 5C looked and felt like plastic. Not my cup of tea and that was a major negative point from other adults I talked to at the store.

Most 5C that actually sold (and even the Apple employees admitted it was a slow seller at the store) were parents buying for kids. Some parents opted to buy their kids 5S instead though.

Anyway all that to say. The 5S is an amazing smartphone the most innovative small device I've ever used. Use touch ID a few times and you'll feel the magic I'm talking about. But the 5C on the other hand. Still a head scratcher in my book.

It's not helping Apple's image. It doesn't look that great. And it's not selling well. It may be selling better than last years 4S but that's not saying much IMO.

Of course the people coming to the Apple store these past two days might not be your best indicator of the 5c's market potential. I think you are looking at a group self-selected for interest in the 5s, aren't you?

"The 5C looked and felt like plastic"—were you expecting it to resemble wood or leather?

". . . the 5C on the other hand. Still a head scratcher in my book"—a mixed metaphor that reveals more about your head and your perceptual horizon than you might want.

You should maybe be quiet about the plastic phone. You know, like excuse yourself by reason of prejudice. If you are trying to say that Apple is doomed, go ahead and say it.
  • Reply 63 of 238
    1983 wrote: »
    Yeah I suspect the 5C is going to turn out to be a flop unfortunately, its neither here nor there, it should of been cheaper, then maybe it would have a market.

For the price it really should have been anodized aluminum.

People would be more willing to pay a premium for higher quality materials.

Unlike the reviews that said the 5C felt ceramic or high end, in my opinion it simply just felt and looked like plastic to me.

Definitely didn't feel or look as premium as the 3G/3GS. For $99/$549 it doesn't seem like a good deal and I think other smart consumers feel the same way.

Only market I see Apple catching with the 5C are impulsive buyers. Anyone that does a little researching would probably pass on the 5C and save up for a 5S.
  • Reply 64 of 238
    echosonic wrote: »
    Yesterday I overheard an employee say (three hours into sale day) "We haven't sold a single 5c yet..."

I heard something similar at my store. iPhone 5Cs remain in stock with very little interest or sales.

It may do better after launch but it's definitely not been the "global sensation that would strip sales from Android" many of us had hoped for.
  • Reply 65 of 238
    rogifan wrote: »
    Wow I had the complete opposite reaction when I felt a 5C in my hand. Almost felt like ceramic to me. There is a thread on MacRumors of 5C owners and people are really likening it. In fact I've seen some people wishing the 5S came in the 5C body.

To each their own I suppose.

The 5C didn't feel special to me, unlike the 3G/3GS that IMO felt expensive and like nothing else I'd ever touched.

Also the 5C looked odd in person. Very much just like an iPhone in a plastic case, especially since at my store they all had the space iOS 7 background and the not the color specific ones.

But as I said to each their own.
  • Reply 66 of 238
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    For the price it really should have been anodized aluminum.

People would be more willing to pay a premium for higher quality materials.

Unlike the reviews that said the 5C felt ceramic or high end, in my opinion it simply just felt and looked like plastic to me.

Definitely didn't feel or look as premium as the 3G/3GS. For $99/$549 it doesn't seem like a good deal and I think other smart consumers feel the same way.

Only market I see Apple catching with the 5C are impulsive buyers. Anyone that does a little researching would probably pass on the 5C and save up for a 5S.

"Anodized aluminum"!

You so do not get it. Do us a favor and be quiet about the plastic phone until the sales figures are a little clearer.

Your inability to perceive is translating to "Apple is doomed." But maybe that's what you want to say anyway.
  • Reply 67 of 238
    rogifan wrote: »
    local Walmart completely sold out of the 5C

I personally wouldn't be surprised if 5C sold well at places like Walmart. The shoppers there probably wouldn't know the difference between the 5C and 5S, and the $100 difference would be seen as a "significant" savings.
  • Reply 68 of 238
    flaneur wrote: »
    Of course the people coming to the Apple store these past two days might not be your best indicator of the 5c's market potential. I think you are looking at a group self-selected for interest in the 5s, aren't you?

"The 5C looked and felt like plastic"—were you expecting it to resemble wood or leather?

". . . the 5C on the other hand. Still a head scratcher in my book"—a mixed metaphor that reveals more about your head and your perceptual horizon than you might want.

You should maybe be quiet about the plastic phone. You know, like excuse yourself by reason of prejudice. If you are trying to say that Apple is doomed, go ahead and say it.

flaneur wrote: »
    "Anodized aluminum"!

You so do not get it. Do us a favor and be quiet about the plastic phone until the sales figures are a little clearer.

Your inability to perceive is translating to "Apple is doomed." But maybe that's what you want to say anyway.

Yes the "selected group" of 5S buyers may not have been the best barometer to gauge 5C interest and opinion, but think about it.

Those lined up are likely Apple's biggest enthusiasts and supporters. If they don't like what their seeing with the 5C shouldn't that be considered significant.

Most didnt like that it was plastic because that's what is the common detractor and argument against Samsung/Android products. Some even said "What's the point of its existence?" Apple store employees joked that it was a slow seller and didn't compare to the hourly sellouts, lines, and hoards for the 5S.

I'm not saying Apple is doomed. Far from it. I just think they may have made a mistake with the 5C, and that mistake may not have only been the price.
  • Reply 69 of 238
    I ordered a 16g grey yesterday. The ship date is now oct. 14
  • Reply 70 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I heard something similar at my store. iPhone 5Cs remain in stock with very little interest or sales.

It may do better after launch but it's definitely not been the "global sensation that would strip sales from Android" many of us had hoped for.

Keep in mind that Android buyers don't stand in line waiting for the stores to open to get their next phone.  Apple's early adopters are going to want all the tech they can get.  $100 is not going to stop them.  

• Reply 71 of 238
    My 32GB Silver 5s model has shipped and is expected to be delivered by the end of Tuesday (9/22). I ordered mine right when they went on sale and was in the "Available to ship: 1 - 3 business days" group. I'm in the US.

This is off topic, but it would be cool if AI published hidden tips and tricks related to iOS 7. One thing I've found very handy is that once you've scrolled down a webpage in safari and the navigation controls at the bottom of the page have disappeared, you can tap the very bottom of the screen to recall them. Maybe this is already known, but I thought I'd mention it in hope of learning other tricks.
  • Reply 72 of 238
    notown wrote: »
    My 32GB Silver 5s model has shipped and is expected to be delivered by the end of Tuesday (9/22).

Sorry, 9/24 is when it's expected to arrive.
  • Reply 73 of 238
    When did every business become a Hollywood blockbuster this day? Judge it by the midnight screening? Folks? To those who think 5c is a mistake, put your real name down, and come back after Xmas. Dare?

BTW when did Apple release iPhone 4? Still currently available in selected Apple store. iPhone have a much longer shelf life than average gabage. Anyone got a Nexus 4? Oh they just took the last order after it only came out a few months ago. That's what I call a MISTAKE.
  • Reply 74 of 238
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TRC2k13 View Post

I guess I should feel pretty lucky then... ordering at 12:03 am made all the difference.  My card was charged earlier this afternoon and my order status just updated...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think the silver CDMA is the least popular model, so that might be the reason. Still, props to you.

Hey thanks...  I went with the silver because I thought it was the best looking of the 3 and looks like it matches my MacBook Air...  if it turns out to be the least popular that's fine by me.  I didn't like the gold... that actually would have been my 3rd choice.  In the end though it doesn't really matter because I run with a Ballistic case and any color I choose won't be visible.

After years of Windows I bought my Air a couple months ago and fell in love... unfortunately my Galaxy S3 isn't all that compatible with OS X and iTunes, so I ordered this iPhone... my first.  My S3 is currently up on Ebay approaching $300 with one day left.  That should make  a significant dent in the full price I paid for my 5s... but it's cool though because my contract is unaffected.  It expires in July and I'll be eligible for an upgrade at the next iPhone launch.

I like the resale value of iPhones... and that's the main reason I didn't mind paying full price.  I consider it an investment.  I'm actually surprised the bidding on my S3 has gotten this high considering it's an Android and the S4 has been out a while... still, I'll take it.  :)

• Reply 75 of 238
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    joelchu wrote: »
    . Anyone got a Nexus 4? Oh they just took the last order after it only came out a few months ago. That's what I call a MISTAKE.

Nexus devices are meant to showcase new and unadulterated Android versions. They aren't intended as commercial successes. When a new version of Android is introduced, or close to it, the previous Nexus devices are no longer serving the purpose Google intended and therefor discontinued. They still work tho and and continue to be updated.
  • Reply 76 of 238
    Just got my notice at 8:45 am ET this morning that my 32gb Space Grey iPhone 5s has shipped and will arrive on 9/26. But when I track it on UPS they say it will be delivered on Tuesday, 9/24! My order was completed at 12:03 PT just after it went on sale. Can't wait and hopefully the UPS tracker is the correct one :D
  • Reply 77 of 238
    To each their own I suppose.

The 5C didn't feel special to me, unlike the 3G/3GS that IMO felt expensive and like nothing else I'd ever touched.

Also the 5C looked odd in person. Very much just like an iPhone in a plastic case, especially since at my store they all had the space iOS 7 background and the not the color specific ones.

But as I said to each their own.
    And for me it's the opposite. i think the 5C feels way better in terms of build quality than the 3G/3GS. Of course if Steve Jobs were here to sell the 5C some people might have a different impression about it. ;)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :)
  • Reply 78 of 238
    I really hope that Apple didn't make a mistake with the 5c, either in making too many of them (at the expense of the 5s) or setting the price of the 5c way too high.
  • Reply 79 of 238
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBKLYN View Post

Just got my notice at 8:45 am ET this morning that my 32gb Space Grey iPhone 5s has shipped and will arrive on 9/26. But when I track it on UPS they say it will be delivered on Tuesday, 9/24! My order was completed at 12:03 PT just after it went on sale. Can't wait and hopefully the UPS tracker is the correct one image

Grats... I'm hoping I get the same notice today.  Mine went to "preparing for shipment" yesterday after my card had been charged the previous afternoon... hours after I also completed my order at 12:03am.

• Reply 80 of 238
    I personally wouldn't be surprised if 5C sold well at places like Walmart. The shoppers there probably wouldn't know the difference between the 5C and 5S, and the $100 difference would be seen as a "significant" savings.
    Well the fact is it is sold at places like Walmart and Target. I don't really expect 5C to be the immediate must have sell out right away phone like the 5S. But I definitely see it under a lot of Christmas trees as gifts. I would like to see it a bit cheaper and I won't be surprised if that happens closer to Christmas. It's a lot easier to lower prices than to raise them.