Apple's iPhone 5c orders lower than expected, insider says

Comments

• Reply 81 of 185
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    All that based on no data and two weeks of speculation?

Didn't the carriers release rankings?
  • Reply 82 of 185
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    What a surprise - as I had originally predicted, Cook's obsession with analyst-driven crap leads to this. ZERO innovation and little price advantage over the great iPhone 5, even in emerging markets used to higher tariffs. 

Well deserved, if I may say.

Sadly, it leads to moronic trolls like you more than anything else.

Besides, what 'obsession with analyst-driven crap' are you referring to?
  • Reply 83 of 185
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    What I've learn in my experience in graphic design, marketing and logo design, never use a letter to help brand your product. When you let people guess what the letter means, they will usually think the worst. "Cheap".
  • Reply 84 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sadly, it leads to moronic trolls like you more than anything else.

Besides, what 'obsession with analyst-driven crap' are you referring to?

Perhaps before asking any question you should avoid babbling stupid ad personam insults against other users here.

So feel free to try again in a more polite manner so I can answer the question contained in your original post.

• Reply 85 of 185
    dillio wrote: »
    So I guess if you see a big breaking news story you completely disregard it until all the reports are confirmed? 

YES. I remember that "Bigfoot in a freezer" story a few years ago: the press gathered around the scientists, and the "body" turned out to be a rubber and hair ape suit.
  • Reply 86 of 185
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Perhaps before asking any question you should avoid babbling stupid ad personam insults against other users here.

So feel free to try again in a more polite manner so I can answer the question contained in your original post.

I see you can't answer the question. That's what I thought.

And, btw, I gave you more respect than you deserved.
  • Reply 87 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Product tradition? What tradition? Use of color? Use of plastic? Going down-market? Apple has done all these thing before in mobile devices.

Oh, c'mon.

Let's go through it again. I'll even let you fill in the blanks:

Which phone became the mid-tier phone when the next generation was announced over the last few introductions?

Which phones in the mid tier were different than any phone made to that point?

Which mid-tier phones were advertised?

• Reply 88 of 185
    There is no mystery here. Many people on 2 year contracts were already upgrade eligible and didn't get a 5 because the 5S was on the way. They had already addressed any color issues with a case. I know I didn't pass on a iPhone5 for months just to get a iPhone5 with different cosmetics. I waited to get the BETTER PHONE for the 2 years I'd have it. The ONLY mystery is why Apple rolled out a flagship model by sending 60 units per store in neither of the colors people wanted (Hello, focus group?). For the record, the best looking model is the Silver.
  • Reply 89 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Didn't the carriers release rankings?

Yes... two week's worth.

The same two weeks that were used to base my opinions.

... and, the same two weeks that were used to base your opinions.

• Reply 90 of 185
    scartart wrote: »
    I guess that would depend if you are stupid enough to sign up to a really expensive plan. My daughter has a £7.50 per month plan and wants a 5c but not at £480.

Her iPhone 4 should have been good for another year or so but iOS 7 has turned that into something with all the responsiveness as a cheap Android phone. Will probably end up getting a second hand 4s or 5 from eBay once all the 5s upgraders have their new phones and the market becomes flooded.

I have a iPhone 4 running ios7. My wife has a iPhone 4 still on ios6. Mine runs fine, can't figure out what your problem is, maybe you need to clear some apps to free up some memory.
  • Reply 91 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I see you can't answer the question. That's what I thought.

And, btw, I gave you more respect than you deserved.

You definitely need to work on your social skills, then. Try harder next time.

• Reply 92 of 185
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Well, obviously Ming-Chi needs to make better estimates. Are the orders less than what Apple estimated? To me, that's more important than what one analyst estimates.
  • Reply 93 of 185
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heroinsmoker View Post

They should have upgraded the specs to be close to the 5S. No one is going to upgrade to a 5C if it isn't any better than a 5. If they wanted a 5 they would have gotten one already. This was one of the most idiotic product ideas I've ever seen at Apple. "We'll sell them last year's phone - but thicker and in plastic colors!" 

My wife and possibly my mom will - they each currently have iPhone 4 - and barely use it to its full potential - so getting a 5c for $50 and passing the 4 down to my nieces is a win for everyone. 

For me I replace my 4S with a 5S and my dad would likely benefit from the faster camera on the 5S to replace his 4 - then his 4 and my 4S can also be passed down the line. So instead of $1200or so for all four of us to get iPhone 5S - it would be more like two 5C units at $100 total and two 5S units - likely one base 16GB for dad and a 64GB for me = about $700 overall and everyone has something better than they have now - if only BestBuy hand't changed banks and closed my credit card due to no activity - now I gotta apply for a new card which shows up as a new credit inquiry and a new card with now history - and yes I often get items like that at BestBuy since the price is the same and the no interest means I don't have to pay it up front or pay interest over time plus reward points get some free stuff in the end. 

• Reply 94 of 185
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    What I've learn in my experience in graphic design, marketing and logo design, never use a letter to help brand your product. When you let people guess what the letter means, they will usually think the worst. "Cheap".

Like the BMW c-class?
    morganny wrote: »
    There is no mystery here. Many people on 2 year contracts were already upgrade eligible and didn't get a 5 because the 5S was on the way. They had already addressed any color issues with a case. I know I didn't pass on a iPhone5 for months just to get a iPhone5 with different cosmetics. I waited to get the BETTER PHONE for the 2 years I'd have it. The ONLY mystery is why Apple rolled out a flagship model by sending 60 units per store in neither of the colors people wanted (Hello, focus group?). For the record, the best looking model is the Silver.

So everyone had a 4S? Again the 5C isn't for us. It's for android/WinMob/BBRY/feature phone refugees and those who don't need the latest and greatest.
  • Reply 95 of 185
    Oh, c'mon.

Let's go through it again. I'll even let you fill in the blanks:

Which phone became the mid-tier phone when the next generation was announced over the last few introductions?

Which phones in the mid tier were different than any phone made to that point?

Which mid-tier phones were advertised?

The previous gen phones became mid-tier, and the generation before that became the bottom tier "free" phone.

The only difference is that they mounted the mid-tiered iPhone 5 inside colored plastic cases, and added a "c" to the name.
  • Reply 96 of 185
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    I fully expect pricing on 5c will come down over the next few months (or be subject to Walmart style sales bursts).

However, the 5S will keep the margins up by staying barely (or completely) out of stock and never reducing in price.

the 5c/5s split seems likely to *increase* margins not lower them.
  • Reply 97 of 185
    I'm not surprised. The colours are ghastly. Simply awful. Who'd want to be seen with a 5C at their ear or in their hand? It looks like a toy. Pink, light blue, _almost_ neon green? Not a chance. I suspect the white version would be the best selling of the bunch.
  • Reply 98 of 185
    hawkse wrote: »
    I'm not surprised. The colours are ghastly. Simply awful. Who'd want to be seen with a 5C at their ear or in their hand? It looks like a toy. Pink, light blue, _almost_ neon green? Not a chance. I suspect the white version would be the best selling of the bunch.

Except the yellow one was reportedly the first to sell out on the Apple online store.

Who would want one? Enough people to make it the #2 phone for September at most US carriers.
  • Reply 99 of 185
    Cheap but not cheap enough.
  • Reply 100 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

I have a iPhone 4 running ios7. My wife has a iPhone 4 still on ios6. Mine runs fine, can't figure out what your problem is, maybe you need to clear some apps to free up some memory.

It isn't just that one. Have a couple of friends that have the same issue and there are a lot of complaints on Apple's community forums. My 4s bogs down every now and then which it didn't do on iOS 6. My iPad 2 isn't too bad, although you close the cover and it takes about 3 seconds before you hear the lock sound.

Hopefully Apple will release an upgrade to improve performance on older devices.