GM, Audi, Hyundai, Honda, nVidia officially join Google's Android automotive push

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

That's not what the article says and that's never what Google has in mind. All they want to do is to push another way to force advertising onto everything they can. Just think, they'll be able to map everywhere you drive and let the NSA grab their data.

Ether that or simply as another conduit to gather personal data to bolster their real revenue stream of selling ads. I hope that an "Open Solution" doesn't mean that Google gets to harvest my information even while I'm using my iOS device in my car. Google always has an angle.

edit: typos.

• Reply 22 of 128
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,891moderator

I'll join the ranks of those who will not buy from those vendors that integrate with Android.  It's not a protest thing; it's that I simply cannot have confidence in an automaker that exhibits such an error in design and engineering judgement.

• Reply 23 of 128
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    bilbo63 wrote: »
    Ether that or simply as another conduit to gather personal data to bolster their real revenues stream of selling ads. I hope that an "Open Solution" doesn't mean that Google gets to harvest my information even while I using my iOS device in my car. Google always has an angle.

It would be a logical assumption. These companies need to feel the sting of a backlash against selling out their customers to Google.
  • Reply 24 of 128
    jpd514jpd514 Posts: 51member
    I would give more credibility to the judgement of: GM, Audi, Hyundai, Honda, nVidia administrator for choosing such a tool that I would give to a blinded Apple fan.

Probably the best route to follow for the nearby creation of an interface usable with every brand of phone as it should and will be.

Choosing a system that will connect with 80% of phone sold in the world seems an evidence for anybody, isn't?
  • Reply 25 of 128
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    The way Apple is implementing iOS in the car running on top of an existing in car system..I guess a vehicle can have both Android and iOS possibly..?
  • Reply 26 of 128
    I would give more credibility to the judgement of: GM, Audi, Hyundai, Honda, nVidia administrator for choosing such a tool that I would give to a blinded Apple fan.

Choosing the Google system is the best route to follow for the nearby creation of an interface usable with every brand of phone, as it should and will be.

Choosing a system that will connect with 80% of phone sold in the world seems an evidence for anybody, isn't?
  • Reply 27 of 128

F**K that! I won't buy any car running freaking google android! Don't need that shit. Not now ... not ever!

ROFLAMO

• Reply 28 of 128
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I believe the intent of the OAA is to develop solutions that can integrate iPhones, Android phones, Blackberry, Windows or whatever. I don't think Apple has the same goal.

Not per this-

http://www.openautoalliance.net/#section_members
  • Reply 29 of 128
    I would give a lot of credibility to to the judgement of: GM, Audi, Hyundai, Honda, nVidia administrator for choosing such a tool.

Choosing the Google system is the best route to follow for the nearby creation of an interface usable with every brand of of phone, as it should be.

• Reply 30 of 128
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 259member
    As commented earlier, the issue of fragmentation and long term support will be a challenge for Android. It is hard to imagine how the manufacturers will be able to maintain the OS given Google orphaning devices 12-18 months old when new OS releases come out.

The legal issues with Oracle, Apple, Microsoft, Nokia, etc., are picking up a lot OS steam. This creates licensing uncertainty that someone at the car manufacturers must be thinking about.
  • Reply 31 of 128
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The way Apple is implementing iOS in the car running on top of an existing in car system..I guess a vehicle can have both Android and iOS possibly..?

I 'believe'(ie no proof) that is the intent... but we shall see. There are other rumours that Apple has other things in store for the car. Time will tell.
  • Reply 32 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I believe the intent of the OAA is to develop solutions that can integrate iPhones, Android phones, Blackberry, Windows or whatever. I don't think Apple has the same goal.

From the FAQ:

What is the Open Automotive Alliance™?

The Open Automotive Alliance is a group of technology and automotive companies who have come together to bring the best of Android into the automobile in a safe and seamless way.
  • Reply 33 of 128

Does OAA respect "DO NOT F***'ng TRACK MY A$$" ?!!  :smokey:

• Reply 34 of 128
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    I'm sure this initiative will be just as successful as Google's efforts to bring Android to TVs.
  • Reply 35 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,528member
    From the FAQ:

<div style="border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-top-width:0px;font:inherit;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:5px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;vertical-align:baseline;">What is the Open Automotive Alliance™?</div>

<div style="border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-top-width:0px;display:block;font:inherit;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;vertical-align:baseline;">The Open Automotive Alliance is a group of technology and automotive companies who have come together to bring the best of Android into the automobile in a safe and seamless way.</div>

The OAA may well be Android-focused. I doubt that would preclude using iOS devices too but you and a couple of others are absolutely correct that the FAQ's don't comment on other OS's at all. That's not exactly the way it was being talked up by a few folks prior to the official announcement.

Perhaps the automakers will have to use both companies, maybe even something from Microsoft too, if they plan to meet the needs of nearly all car buyers. That would be a shame if there's so little co-operation that the in-car experience ends up needlessly fractured. Hopefully an Android-based info and safety solution would not omit iOS users and vice-versa.
  • Reply 36 of 128
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member

If Android "is" the platform, you can bet they will be tracking every iota of information that they can on you. An Android platform doesn't sound open to me. An Apple platform doesn't sound open either.

I'm an iOS guy through and through, but a truly "open" platform will allow any smartphone to connect to the car and do it's stuff. I don't want an Android or Windows experience forced on me, I want an iOS solution. That said other people are clearly fine having Google hijack their personal data and want a Google solution.

• Reply 37 of 128
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    Yeah... And everybody is telling Me how Apple is behind and stuf like that.
    And see ? Apple just made a few minutes presentation at WWDC 2013 and posted some things about iOS in the car to their site... That is enough to provoke a creation of anti Apple alliance with only purpose to destroy Apple in cars before it even started. Just a sneak peek just a few rumors about what Apple will do next are enough to set the entire industry in panic... That is not how industry reacts to an underdog, a company that has fallen behind or "puny Apple in stomach of android".
  • Reply 38 of 128
    The AI team might ask each OAA member firm:

Did Google has to totally indemnify your firm against all Android Patent Infringement claims from Apple, Intellectual Ventures, Microsoft, Nokia, Sony and all the other world class firms with outstanding and already winning claims against Android?

The answers to this question will tell the whole story.

The OAA is primarily just Google's way of attempting to expand its advertising platform base while hoping that it might finally get an auto company to pay for its mapping services.

Another question: how much of a share in its mobile advertising revenues did Google have to give up in order to each OAA member firm to "sign up?
    "?
  • Reply 39 of 128
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member

To believe that an automotive company is going to alienate a group of buyers by NOT allowing a popular phone to interface with their system is plain crazy! The lack of emotional intelligence contained in some of these post is amazing. I would bet that if you didn't know that an Android OS was working in a car, you wouldn't have noticed.

• Reply 40 of 128

This is what it says on their website, "With one platform that developers are already familiar with to target (rather than a patchwork of platforms from different automakers), developers will be able to focus on delivering a powerful experience for users."

"One platform" makes me think that they intend to solely push Android...