Samsung announces Galaxy S5 with 5.1" display, fingerprint scanner & heart rate monitor

Comments

• Reply 61 of 236
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's next-generation flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S5, was officially announced by the company at the Mobile World Congress trade show on Monday, and the handset will compete head-to-head with Apple's iPhone 5s ...

And it looks like an entire year (and counting) will pass before Samsung / Google even attempt 64-bit computing.

I wonder how Samsung's ad agency will spin that unfortunate little fact.

• Reply 62 of 236
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I won't even start with the "Pleather" case design, or better yet... the "Plaster" band-aid design from a prior post, because the S5 is exactly that, an open wound for Samsung.

Fixed that for you.

"Pleather." Love it, that's a keeper !

• Reply 63 of 236
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And it looks like an entire year (and counting) will pass before Samsung / Google even attempt 64-bit computing.

Maybe hire Anand Chandrasekher as their marketing guru. I'm sure his looking for a new job by now.

• Reply 64 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatcaesar View Post

Samsung is avoiding gimmicks?? Lol what the hell do you need a random pulse tracker for?? So it gave me my pulse then what??

That's Samsung being thoughtful on their part.  You know, when you try to unlock their phone using their new fingerprint sensor, over and over again and your blood starts boiling and your heart beats faster as you get more aggravated, the pulse tracker lets you know it's time to step away from the Samsung Galaxy S5 and go into some 'Zen' mode!  Especially valuable for people with heart conditions!

/

/

• Reply 65 of 236
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

16MP in a camera phone is useful?  I'm still waiting on Nikon's latest pro full frame DSLR the D4s.  Wanna guess how many MP that is? 

6,000,000,000? :)

• Reply 66 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jony0 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I won't even start with the "Pleather" case design, or better yet... the "Plaster" band-aid design from a prior post, because the S5 is exactly that, an open wound for Samsung.

Fixed that for you.

"Pleather." Love it, that's a keeper !

its a Pleather Phablet

• Reply 67 of 236

Specs are the fodder of the Windows/Android crew. Does the fracking thing work? Mmmm love that android lag, gives me time to think about how much i hate IOS

• Reply 68 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Quote:

16MP in a camera phone is useful?  I'm still waiting on Nikon's latest pro full frame DSLR the D4s.  Wanna guess how many MP that is? 

6,000,000,000? :)

no the upcoming Nikon D4s Pro Full Frame DSLR is also 16MP.

• Reply 69 of 236
    Quote:

no the upcoming Pro Full Frame DSLR is also 16MP.

The MP thing is just one of those things that people can easily grasp without understanding what it means.  Of course, a 16MP camera with great lenses and a 16MP camera in a phone are two different things.

No, I get what you were getting at. 

• Reply 70 of 236
    Reminds me of the difference between an AK-47 (shoot a billion bullets in that general vicinity, you might hit something, you might not) and an M-16A2 (conserve bullets, more precision, one shot-one kill).

Guess which one's Samsung?
  • Reply 71 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thegreatcaesar View Post

Samsung is avoiding gimmicks?? Lol what the hell do you need a random pulse tracker for?? So it gave me my pulse then what??

That's Samsung being thoughtful on their part.  You know, when you try to unlock their phone using their new fingerprint sensor, over and over again and your blood starts boiling and your heart beats faster as you get more aggravated, the pulse tracker lets you know it's time to step away from the Samsung Galaxy S5 and go into some 'Zen' mode!  Especially valuable for people with heart conditions!

/

/

You may be on to something here.  They might have better luck unlocking it with the heart monitor. 

• Reply 72 of 236

I've got 16Mp, i'm gona be on the front page of Reditt in a heartbeat with my shit picture of some spastic cat. Yayyy!!!! Samsung wins!!! Android/Windows bloatware business model will rule the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 73 of 236
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

I haven't read all the posts to this article... so forgive me if I repeat someone else's question.... but....

Doesn't it seem of late that Samsung is setting its product roadmap to the voices of the Apple rumour mill?

• Reply 74 of 236
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

By upping the RAM to more than 4GB and crapping on about how the Note 4 or S6 is using 64bit properly.

• Reply 75 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bandino View Post

I've got 16Mp, i'm gona be on the front page of Reditt in a heartbeat with my shit picture of some spastic cat. Yayyy!!!! Samsung wins!!! Android/Windows bloatware business model will rule the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey!  Don't be dissing "spastic cat" pictures! 

• Reply 76 of 236
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

LTE+WiFi sounds clever, but only makes sense if you have an unlimited data plan.  It'll stick with "slow" unboosted (but "free") WiFi when I'm at home thanks.

• Reply 77 of 236
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

S5? Bad name. Shoulda called it the tackE.

• Reply 78 of 236
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    No mention of their new wrist-worn device?

kibitzer wrote: »
    S5? Bad name. Shoulda called it the tackE.
    It's the 5S backwards. Perhaps they should have just called it the S5 enohPi.
  • Reply 79 of 236
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

I haven't read all the posts to this article... so forgive me if I repeat someone else's question.... but....

Doesn't it seem of late that Samsung is setting its product roadmap to the voices of the Apple rumour mill?

Welcome to 2010.

You been living under a rock or sumthink?

• Reply 80 of 236
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

It's very nice to see Samsung avoiding new software gimmicks.  Everything they added this year appears to be useful.

What are you talking about? Did you even read the article?

Unlike Apple who spent 400 million on an acquisition and 2 years of development....Samsung fast tracked their copy machine version of a fingerprint sensor and result is garbage. They can now put Fingerprint Scanner as a bullet point and lull people into thinking it "has the same thing as" the iPhone 5S. The truth is nothing of the sort.

Pulse tracker? Yeah that will get a lot of use.