Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple

Comments

• Reply 121 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Depends what you use your tablet for. If it's for watching movies/browsing the web I agree, 9.7 is a better size. But in terms of mobility and convenience, some people prefer to have the smaller form factor.

You're welcome to use a 7" Android, as long as you don't mind shaving off your fingertips. Otherwise, I would go for either an iPad Mini or an iPad Air.

• Reply 122 of 170
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The solipsistic arguments here are amusing. I don't like larger iPhones so nobody should.

Then there is the strange one handed argument. Apple used to make that argument but it was as false as SJ's arguments against small tablets. However recently they've stopped making that argument; when Cook is asked about larger screens he doesn't say no and talk one-handed rot, but rather "when the technology is right".

Like nearly everybody I am using two hands to write this on an iPhone. One to hold it, the other to type. I do use one hand to scroll but that just means I need to be able to cup the phone and use my thumb, which I could do easily enough with a larger phone. In any case for most people except the one thumbed typists, the iPhone is dual handed. When typing. Which is fairly important. And many games.

If Apple do this they will keep the 4". Then only two things can happens to relative upgrade numbers.

1) nothing. Because there is no demand for larger iPhones and they sell only as much as any new iPhone would.
    2) something. Because there is a pent up demand from people with the 4 + 4s who are waiting for a significant design upgrade, and switchers from Android.

2 is more likely. Time to retire the one-handed argument since Apple have.
  • Reply 123 of 170
    You're welcome to use a 7" Android, as long as you don't mind shaving off your fingertips. Otherwise, I would go for either an iPad Mini or an iPad Air.

When jobs was taking about shaving off fingertips - a disengenous argument given the size of the 3GS - he was talking about any tablet of that size. Probably he was just spreading FUD.
  • Reply 124 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    asdasd wrote: »
    When jobs was taking about shaving off fingertips - a disengenous argument given the size of the 3GS - he was talking about any tablet of that size. Probably he was just spreading FUD.

Jobs words are very clear if you choose to understand what he's saying. For instance, he also specifically referenced "the current lot" of 7" tablets are DOA, which in no means all tablets that are less than 9.7". BTW, which of those 7" are still being sold today?
  • Reply 125 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

He was referring specifically to Android tablets, which at that time were 7" or smaller. I don't think he was spreading FUD, as Apple have never made an iPad that small, probably because of the reason Steve Jobs stated.

• Reply 126 of 170
    solipsismx wrote: »
    He also specifically referenced "the current lot" of 7" tablets are DOA, which in no means all tablets that are less than 9.7". BTW, which of those 7" are still being sold today?

Dunno. Since his argument was about the size of the screen it would be an argument against the mini too ( and all iPhones ) unless he had an ulterior motive. Which he had because the mini was probably being developed on his watch.
  • Reply 127 of 170
    asdasd wrote: »
    Dunno. Since his argument was about the size of the screen it would be an argument against the mini too ( and all iPhones ) unless he had an ulterior motive. Which he had because the mini was probably being developed on his watch.

His argument was for the poorly implemented tablets trying to compete with the iPad. His argument for a 7", 16:9 tablet running a poor OS and apps not idealized for that platform was spot on and Apple has yet to release any such equivalent.
  • Reply 128 of 170
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Where are numbers to back this statement up?

Given that iPhones are the biggest selling smartphone models.

Do I need a number? Just name a few major ones lately: HTC One2, GS4, GS5, Sony XperiaZ1/Z2, Nexus 5, MotoX... Are those enough to justify 5" screen phone is sweet spot. I guess so.

• Reply 129 of 170
    Quote:

No; the iPad Mini is significantly larger than 7", thus rendering your statement void.

• Reply 130 of 170
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    No; the iPad Mini is significantly larger than 7", thus rendering your statement void.

.9" is significantly larger?
  • Reply 131 of 170
    spartanspartan Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just watched an unboxing of the thing (because all official product images REFUSE to show it being held or used by anyone… for some reason… almost as if…), and roughly 1/3 of the screen was accessible with one-handed use. How is anyone on Earth stupid enough to buy this?!

“Well, they’re not using it as a phone…”

Maybe don’t buy a phone, then? I mean, on one hand you get people whining that “8GB is too small except for [action], [action], and [action]” and then dismiss it as unacceptable. There’s your “budget phone” for “emerging markets” right there! And on the other you get these things for which the same people would rape a badger to obtain and the product is physically unusable for its category regardless of the use case! 

Here’s a postulation, because you’re dead right about one-handed use. As a device gets thinner, the amount of curve to your hand hand required to hold said device becomes smaller, and thus your digits get a longer reach.

As such, a larger area becomes accessible to a thumb the thinner a device gets (to a point, after which it just becomes impossible to hold at all). I’ll have to grab some cardboard of different thicknesses and run some mockups, but I can say right now that no matter how thin the device is, anything above ~4.5” 16:9 is completely unusable. And maybe even smaller.

Correct on the thickness since it will allow you to hold/reach more.

Like you said, I think anything above 4.5" is unusable also for 1 handed and I'm thinking 4.4" is where they will go in size increase. Has anyone run the #s in terms of resolution vs pixels vs size increase?

Now again, I can see them coming out with something like the iPhone 'Note' or whatever you want to call it...a phablet that is 5" in size that targets a 'specific' market and maybe they emphasize Facetime on this device vs holding it up to your ear. I do know that the engineers at my post house would love to have something bigger then their iPhones but smaller than their iPad Minis that they can carry around with them while doing work/repairs/etc.

• Reply 132 of 170
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

If Apple do this they will keep the 4". Then only two things can happens to relative upgrade numbers.

1) nothing. Because there is no demand for larger iPhones and they sell only as much as any new iPhone would.

2) something. Because there is a pent up demand from people with the 4 + 4s who are waiting for a significant design upgrade, and switchers from Android.

Well, I understand one-hand usability argument, but smartphones have evolved so much since the first iPhone in 2007 which nowadays we use it a lot more than just basic functions: talk and text, so phone size should evolve beyond basic usage. I'm not a fan of >5" screen Phablets, but I dont' deny that 5" phones are really okay for one-hand use (MotoX for example). 

Apple can always keep 2 sizes: 4" and 5", but I don't believe people would stay with the former one they try the latter. I was in the same boat a few years back when iPhone 5 was released. I thought it was the same as 4s, but once I used it, and when I looked at the 4s, it's like a midget..seriously, no discrimination tho.

• Reply 133 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

.9" is significantly larger?

Doesn't sound much, but compared to, say, a Nexus 7, the iPad Mini has between 20 and 30% more screen if I remember correctly; it may be a little more. It's in particular because the screen is wider, making the iPad better for browsing in landscape, as well as reading in portrait.

• Reply 134 of 170
    Doesn't sound much, but compared to, say, a Nexus 7, the iPad Mini has between 20 and 30% more screen if I remember correctly; it may be a little more. It's in particular because the screen is wider, making the iPad better for browsing in landscape, as well as reading in portrait.

It's nearly 50% more display area.

Size . . . AR . . . Height . . Width . . . .Area
    7.0" . . . 1.78 . . . . 6.1" . . . . 3.4" . . . 20.94 sq in
    7.9" . . . 1.33 . . . . 6.3" . . . . 4.7" . . . 29.96 sq in
  • Reply 135 of 170
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

More analysts pump and dump rhetoric about Apple.  However, every time earnings announcements come along, Apple misses its numbers and the share price collapses.  Tim Cook is deliberately trying to ruin Apple shareholders with his mystery product pipeline.  Nothing ever seems to materialize from it.  Apple will come out with a large display iPhone and they'll still continue to lose market share to Android.  Apple simply can't sell enough iPhones to satisfy investors.  Too many people around the world simply can't afford iPhones and Apple will likely charge more for their new large display iPhones which will cause the iPhone to lose even more market share.  It's a vicious cycle meant to ruin Apple shareholders.

"Tim Cook is deliberately trying to ruin Apple shareholders with his mystery product pipeline."

I have no fucking idea how you are banned yet. Same shitty rant in every thread. Go find a new hobby. 

• Reply 136 of 170
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up. A watch is a “phone” in the same way that something with a 5.5” screen is a “phone”: not at all.

What if they can make phone calls?

• Reply 137 of 170
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    hill60 wrote: »
    The S4, Note 3 and others have the camera in the centre of the phone behind the screen, unlike Apple where the camera is above the screen.

The S5 has a bump around the lens.

Do you mean the front or back camera? The front cameras on Samsung's phones are at the top right. That's why in selfie pics, the eyes don't look at you because the people are looking at the display.
  • Reply 138 of 170
    Quote:

The solipsistic arguments here are amusing. I don't like larger iPhones so nobody should.

Then there is the strange one handed argument. Apple used to make that argument but it was as false as SJ's arguments against small tablets. However recently they've stopped making that argument; when Cook is asked about larger screens he doesn't say no and talk one-handed rot, but rather "when the technology is right".

Like nearly everybody I am using two hands to write this on an iPhone. One to hold it, the other to type. I do use one hand to scroll but that just means I need to be able to cup the phone and use my thumb, which I could do easily enough with a larger phone. In any case for most people except the one thumbed typists, the iPhone is dual handed. When typing. Which is fairly important. And many games.

I wouldn't even consider a phone that takes up too much pocket space.  3.5 4:3 is best.

• Reply 139 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Where are numbers to back this statement up?

Given that iPhones are the biggest selling smartphone models.

Do I need a number? Just name a few major ones lately: HTC One2, GS4, GS5, Sony XperiaZ1/Z2, Nexus 5, MotoX... Are those enough to justify 5" screen phone is sweet spot. I guess so.

There have likely been sold more 3.5 inch iPhones than all of those put together.

• Reply 140 of 170
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    fallenjt wrote: »

Guess what?

iPhones outsell all of them added together.